Womens Running

Freezing Mondailies (Read 27 times)

Kilmisters

Good job Damaris, Kat, you are both badass!

What on earth is happening w the weather here? It was around 50*F at 9pm last night when I finished my run (so pretty much in line w last 2 wks or so), but this morning it was already below freezing temps. I totally had NOT planned having to clean frost from windshield but made it to work in time. To make things more fun, weather-stalked Amsterdam and it seems it will be around 65*F on Sunday. *sigh*

The uneducated-in-US-topics European here had to google why some of you have a day off... I knew it's national holiday of some sort after noticing the NHL face-off times, I mean, 8pm LV time faceoff on Monday? Run + NHL eve at 10pm w DH's favourite team (NJ) facing Buffalo, which has Latvian in their roster - yay!

QOTD: have any of you found winter running gloves that are warm enough for when it's 15*F and colder, or is double-layering the only option? I did the two glove thing last winter, but would rather not if there is an alternative.

Have a... uhm... bearable Monday, everyone Wink

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I'm not American but Canadian. Today is our Thanksgiving.  And a rest day.  So just lots of relaxing between cooking and eating turkey.

Kilmisters....i usually only wear Dollar Store gloves. Doesn't matter how cold I am at the start. Within 2 miles the gloves are off and being used to wipe my nose. My hands overheat making the rest of me uncomfortable. If my fingers get cold again I find them easy to put back on.  But generally I get mild winters where I live. Hope you find a solution. And boo for a warm Amsterdam race. I hate when that happens. Oh. And it's far from freezing here. Ugh. Still shorts weather.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Congratulations Kat and Damaris

Lori

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

7.2 speedwork miles for me. I did 4x .5mi/w .2 rest then 3x .2mi/.2 rest.

Not freezing here - apparently I moved to TX last night. 77 degrees 75 dew point. Only thing that made this bearable was that it was raining. Good run and my overall pace was 10:02 which I was surprised. But it was hard to breathe!

Back of my knee is still a problem. I’m wondering if it’s IT band related. Seems tight maybe? I don’t know but it better get it’s act together fast!

ill be back for personals later. I’m heading to a butts and guts class at the gym! Hope I’m not the only lucky one off today!

congrats to the Chicago ladies!!! You both did awesome and you make me want to race!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Great work Damaris and Kats! 

Friday was a successful routine hospital trip for DC. For the first interview by a nurse when asked who I was he had said I was his “companion”. When the next nurse asked him who I was (she suggested “wife?”, “girlfriend?&rdquoWink he said, “Oh, I just now picked her up out there on the corner”. I couldn’t stop laughing.  He is definitely a character.

Saturday I got out to run for 45 minutes on the trail. Weather was still warm and humid. Yoga afterwards.

Sunday Buddy and I went out the trail for 60 minutes. It was really breezy for the first third of the run and we were glad we were wearing our jackets. Then the wind abruptly left and we got sweaty. I needed to use my flashlight for the trail. We had a heavy cloud cover so it was like it never got very light. Yoga after.

Oh, I told Sunday Buddy that I had been working on running posture. He told me that I had always had good posture when walking, standing or running. 

Today I plan a run on the trail with errands all over the place afterward. Hopefully the sink will be fixed. It is awkward to try and cook without a drain/disposal and washing dishes in the bathroom sink.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Morning ladies!

Crappy nights sleep last night, which is par for the course for me after a LR/Marathon.  I already scarfed down a piece of leftover deep dish pizza 6:45 am!  And it was good.

Elina, no help with gloves, especially now living in TX.

Lori, enjoy turkey day!!!

Lizzie, enjoy butts and guts!  And your day off!!  Only a few days of taper madness left for you. Woot Woot.

Short report, finished 6:16:41.

Sunday I got up a titch before 5 and wandered off to Sbux for coffee/food.  Ate, showered, and relaxed until we met up at 6:30 in the lobby to WALK to the race.  UH, WALK??  It was about 1.6mile walk.  Took a cab instead.  Hit the potties, then waited around for a spell, it was actually slightly chilly out so I kept my throwaway on until closer to the start.  We all were in the same corral so we just chatted until close to the start where were split up.   It wasn't hot, YET...

Just before the start I seriously had to pee again, what??  Ugh.

We crossed the line and are off!  Maybe less than half mile in there were 3 potties on the right.  I stopped.  After about a good 4-5+ min of not moving, I left and had a very very uncomfortable run/walk to the first aid station at around 1.9.  No lines.  It was the only time I stopped during the race for myself.

I was doing my run/walk and feeling tolerable for my poor training up until about mile 3 when my hip started whispering it hurt a tiny bit.  Around mile 5 one of my friends found me and said she was in a ton of pain and wasn't sure how it was going to go.  She also mentioned up ahead my friend was with the 5:45 pace group, so I went up and ran with her/them for a while.  BIG mistake.  They were doing 60/30 intervals.  But their running was too fast for me and their walk was way way too slow.  She and I hung with them until maybe mile 10 where she had to go to the bathroom so I waited with her.  We hung together for maybe a mile.  She was trying to catch the pace group.  I wished her luck and stayed back. Once I went back to my run/walk things got better.

The miles were a blur, as is always the case.  How Tessa can recount them mile by mile is amazing!  My watch was screwed up from the get go, so I was really blind as to my pace.  The buildings interfered with the GPS majorly.  At mile 2, my watch said mile 4 and it wasn't giving me mile splits, so all I could do was try to remember my time from one mile to the next to figure out my pace, kind of.  I was about 8-10 min behind my 6hr goal from very early on, and was 17 min behind about half way, and stayed that way the remainder of the race.

I wasn't sure I was going to make it during many points of the race.  I was and am down about how slow I was because next up is Marine Corps.  That weighed heavily on me through most of the race.   I have to keep a 6hr pace for MCM and trying to cut off 17 min will be nearly impossible.  My only hope is that I won't have to pee again just before the start and lose close to 10 min and that I will start up closer to get a few extra minutes.  Sigh...

I kept run/walking until mile 22-23 where I calculated I had plenty of time to finish and walked it it.  My legs were sore, duh.  But my left knee was really uncomfortable.  It has been acting up a bit lately, don't know why.

I never saw my friend again until the finish.  She ended up having an asthma attack and spent a few minutes in the medical tent.  She finished though, about 8 min behind me.  Her friend who was in pain ended up beating us both!!  Their other friend was shooting for sub 5, unfortunately she got nauseated and barely finished at 6:05.

Long slow slog back to the hotel.  Relaxed, freshened up, and got carry out pizza and booze.  The pizza was FAB!  Ladies were all tired, so I scurried off to my room and watched football and had a few glasses of wine.

Slept horribly as I mentioned and got up too early.  But since I am still in bed, think, I will try to get a bit more shut eye.

Thanks for all the well wishes and congrats.  Much appreciated.  You ladies are wonderful.

Kathryn

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Lizzie..... butts and guts. That's a funny term. Good luck. It sort of inspires me to go workout. Sort of. But not quite. Lol. Seriously though... after my marathon I hope to start.

Kat....i too never sleep well after a long run or race. My legs get RLS from them. I have to prop them up on pillows. I think you did great. Don't worry about Marine Corps.  It may seem impossible to you now but I'm sure that day will have you feeling better. Besides which, if worse came to worse, you could refuse to leave the course and then cute marines would need to drag you. And that could be a very fine thing. But I have faith in you.

Lori

dhuffman63

Trails

Kat you did awesome!  If I use my HM time I'd be out there for at least 7 hours.

I did 15 miles yesterday, 10 on the TM and 5 on the road.  I went out at 3 pm to 81 degrees and sunshine to simulate what the Pumpkin will be like...hot, hills, gravel road.  From the pics I think there are a lot of trees tho.  I do plan on having my head lamp in a drop bag at mile 19...altho I'm considering mile 11, just in case.  I can always strap it to my hydration vest.  I just know with the shorter days I'll be out there past dark given what the Hawk was like.

Elina wish I could help but I don't go out when it's 15 degrees unless its to a preheated car.  I do have some of those chemical hand warmer things.  Last year m Dec race was chilly and overcast and I'm kind of expecting that again.  I just did the 10k so this year it's a 25k.

We are having 61 as a high Tues, Lizzie and the am temp is in the 40's.

Judy, your DC sounds like a character...lol.

Anonymous Guest

Morning! Quick check in before I go run some easy miles.

Big congrats to Damaris (sub-5!!!) and Kat!!!

Kathryn, because it's what I do (I can't help myself), I looked at your splits from yesterday. You crossed the 30K mat in 4:18:33, which is an average 13:53 mile. Which is farther than the bridge at MCM and under the 14 minute mile cutoff. So you can do it.

Elina, while I seldom need gloves down here, I grew up in the cold. Have you tried running mittens? I know there are a couple out there, and mittens keep your hands warmer than gloves because your fingers are all together keeping each other warm.

Happy Thanksgiving Lori!

Liz, that's awful weather. And you were still able to do speedwork!! Enjoy the day off.

Judy, laughing at DC.....I bet he keeps you smiling.

Okay, I'm going to go run a few easy miles before it gets back up into the 90s. Cold front coming through tonight or tomorrow, but it's no longer the glorious one predicted a week ago, now just a weak one that will make Wednesday and Thursday nice before warming back up for the weekend.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Seloc

Elina – haha I had to google why some people had today off.  The best mittens I have for running are actually really thing but more of a wind-breaker fabric.  So it seems when I run, my hands warm up and stay warm in the mittens.  Weird weather for sure!  Supposed to freeze here tonight!

Lori – Happy Thanksgiving!  I remembered from years past that this seems to coordinate with US Columbus Day.  Nice 20 over the weekend!!  For SURE humidity will take more out of ya.  At least for me.  Weather is a HUGE factor.  Nice job getting in the recovery 4 and now an awesome rest day.  Ahhhhh.  OMG totally cracking up about your suggestion to Kat and making the Marines drag her off the course.  GREAT IDEA!

Lizzie – sorry but I’m LOL about “apparently I moved to TX last night”.  Dood, that sucks.  And please please please get RID of that TX weather in the next two weeks!  Or, gramma here will CRUMBLE.  Hope the knee is just a niggle.  Bermuda?  OMG fun.  Too bad you couldn’t tag along.  Weather stalking for you shows rain.  But, things change quickly here in the Midwest!  Enjoy your day off!  Hope you get to rest.

Judy – LOL that’s hilarious about DC.  Sounds like a fun guy!  (as opposed to a fungi – sorry couldn’t resist a Lisa-like pun haha)  Good luck getting the sink fixed!!

Kat – awesome awesome job in the race!!  Hey, that happens to you, too?  Hard long runs/marathons, I never sleep well.  Nice report!  How do the legs feel today?  I really think you can finish MCM in time – I do!  Like you said, no PoP stops and you’ve got it.  Also, I’m a firm believer in running your own race – I mean, it’s nice to run with friends but, like you said, you went back to your intervals and then was comfortable.  Two weeks, girl!  WOOT!  Yes!  Listen to Karen!

Karen – congrats on the 10mile win!!  You are amazing.  And, have killer leg muscles!

Laura – great runs as always over the weekend.  Loved the Homecoming pics.  Love that your DS is not afraid to be his own person!! Mmmmmm always enjoyable to pass a cutie patootie fella LOL

HH – congrats on the 5K.  Hooray for some BIG bling haha

HCK – wow on the Friday night intervals.  Impressive!!

Turtles – interesting about the toe spreading.  I almost never wear anything except comfortable shoes with a wide toe box.  Never been a fancy shoe/heel gal.  I was testing the ability to wiggle each individual toe – not quite but pretty close.

Diane – nice miles Saturday.  Even after the bourbon barrel stout!  AND 15 yesterday – you GO girl!!

Gatsby – you model patient you!  Nice to see you out running again.  Although I’m more impressed with your patience to walk as far as you do.  SO COOL about the porpoises!!

Carol – nice 12 in the rain!  You are tougher than me.  I moved my long run to Sunday to avoid it haha  What’s your next race?

Tessa – I think you asked Friday where the wineries were that I checked out?  Waconia – far west metro.  Have you been?  I heard on a news program over the weekend that MN now has 70 wineries.  The U of MN created (? – not sure if that’s the right word) a couple varieties of hearty grapes to withstand our winters a few years back.  Marquette and Frontenac?  I think?  Nice miles over the weekend and WOOHOO for being down in weight when not expected.  Well, celebrating for you cuz that’s the way I would feel haha.  SO CUTE you brought all the kit kats to church!!  Man, I would love to go the St. Francis service.  Might have to look up if any is done around her.  What religion if I may ask?  I was raised Catholic but have not really practiced in years.

Damaris – AWESOME job yesterday!  WOOHOO.  Especially when it’s hot!  I forgot to weather stalk – do you know what it ended up being?  Too hot for me, guaranteed.  Hope you rest well!!

Woke up Saturday to a steady rain that didn’t end until almost noon.  So, no run.  Made it a rest day and did all my chores instead – laundry, vacuum, I even cooked!  Helped a friend’s daughter with pre-calc homework and then took my nephew to dinner.  Sunday up early to run 3.5mi to friends, run 4 with her and 3.5mi home.  An hour later drove to another running pal’s house and did another 5mi for a total of 16mi on the day.  Not conventional but I will call it a win.  Then brunch with her and her DH after was awesome.  Came home, picked up sis and BIL and went to a couple wineries.  It was a GORGEOUS fall day!!  Lots of trees changing in the west metro.  Rest day today.  Will do one more tough-ish speed workout this week but otherwise easy stuff tapering for MCM.  I’m excited for the trip!  Just crossing fingers that the weather cools down by then.  No more hurricanes please!!  Happy Monday, all!

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Freezing?  It was 80 here yesterday!  We took the kids to a pumpkin farm, it felt odd to be doing that when it was so warm.  DD and I also rode our bikes through the park yesterday morning.  Gorgeous day for outdoor activities!  Very odd for Wisconsin.    Saturday it was rainy and windy, a tornado actually touched down in Madison, about an hour away from us!  I am not off work today. 

Elina, I have some warm gloves... I got them a long time ago from Sierra Trading Post.  They are made by Mountain Hardware.  I don't think they are running gloves, more for hiking.  I suspect that you will do well on your half!

Lori, enjoy your Thanksgiving!  Turkey sounds good.    Nice 20 this weekend!

Lizzie, nice speedwork this morning!  The forecasted weather for the weekend has been getting cooler, now high of 61 and low of 47!  Rain still in the forecast though but great temps for running.  I hope the knee improves!   I didn't want to say that it has been humid here the past week, but with the temps dropping it should be fine!  Sorry about the typo in the training plan.    I think I will try running next week.  I have the last race in the trail series on the 21st, it's supposed to be a half but I will drop down to the 5K and run with DD if the foot feels good.

Judy, picked up from the corner, eh?  Cute! 

Kat, congrats on Chicago!  I hope the recovery goes well.  Sorry about the MCM worries during the race.  Well, you can only do what you can do.  You're out there trying and that matters.  I couldn't do that at this point.    And listen to Karen.  

Diane, nice job on the 15 miles! 

Karen, congrats on your 10 miler and podium finish!    It doesn't surprise me that you looked at Kat's splits.    I can't see your pics on my work computer, I will have to try at home.  I need to check out your legs.  

Sandy, cool about your toes.     You can do pre-calc?  I don't think I could at this point.  I am dreading helping DD with her math homework in high school    Enjoy the taper!

Damaris, congrats on the sub 5!  And meeting Deena Kastor!

Margaret, good for you on taking it slow!    Thanks for the tips on photo posting.  I will have to give it another go.  

Carol, nice 12 in the rain!  The PF is OK, the foot is still a little sore if I am on my feet for a long time.  I'm taking it slow so I can get healthy for spring!  Though DD convinced me to do the 5K Winter Series with her, so I have that on my calendar for the winter.  

Laura, nice homecoming pics!

Tessa, I think you are right about the shirt.  Particularly with Chicago.  It seems that the free shirt is always plain and nothing special.  Then huge lines to buy an "official" shirt!  I don't care about how my shoes look anymore.  No more heels for me!    The pointy toed high heels are pretty ridiculous.    Sounds like a busy weekend for you, very nice that you could support that family.

Cathy

I'm off of work today too.  Federal holidays are one of the few perks about being a government employee (and a bank employee, right Lizzie?).  

Yesterday, DH and I put on running gear and packs, and took the train into San Francisco.  It was the end of Fleet Week so there was an air show over the city with Blue Angels, stunt flyers, and even tricks by a 747.  We did a slow, easy run along the waterfront and checked out the sights, around 30 minutes of running plus some walking.  Huge crowds but several roads were closed so we could navigated around okay.  A warm day too, in the 70s.  Unfortunately, with heat and gusty winds, some wildfires have broken out in Santa Rosa, Sonoma and Napa, a bit northeast of San Francisco.  Can smell the smoke down here, ugh.

Woohoo to Karen on her 10 miler, Lisa on her 50k, and Damaris and Kat on the Chicago marathon!

Kilmisters, basically, Columbus Day a holiday to celebrate Europeans invading North America, grabbing all the land, and decimating native American peoples.  Although I'm not unhappy to get a day off of work, it's not really something I think should be celebrated.  <rant over>  Switching topics: weird that it's going to be so warm in Amsterdam next weekend for your HM.  Have you asked Lisa about gloves for cold weather?  I've heard that mittens with a windproof shell are good, but I've got nothing to add personally.  It's rare to see temps much below 40s here.

Kat -- Karen made a good point about your pace. MCM is do-able.  But if I may be so bold as to make a training suggestion?  Between now and then, come up with a positive mantra, so that when the negative thoughts come up (and they do for all of us!), squash it and replace it with the mantra.  Basically, think about training for your mental game.  

Bertha, my hands always tend to be cold.  So for me, the gloves typically stay on, even if I'm in shorts and a short-sleeve top.

Lizzie, hope the knee niggle is just taper madness.  I thought ITB tended to cause pain more around the knee cap (as a tight ITB pulls things out of alignment), but I'm definitely no expert.  Rest it and ignore it.    How's the weather looking for next weekend?  (MTA: never mind, just saw Turtles' post re weather).

Judy, laughing at your DC's comment about picking you up on a corner.  Where did you meet?

DHuff, nice 15!  Looks like you your training is going well.  Any specific lessons from Hawk that you are working on, as you get ready for the 50k?

Karen, been meaning to ask you, with the 50th marathon done, what is the next goal that you're working towards?  50 states?  PS: awesome legs!  I want freakish legs like yours.  

Seloc, you had a busy weekend!  Taper time for you now for MCM?  Sounds like a fun weekend in store.  Then Napa for Ragnar?

Turtles, are you going to see Lizzie when she's there for Milwaukee next weekend?  Is that close to you?  What's the latest on the foot?  Or is that a sore subject (pun totally intended).

LC, great homecoming pics.  Your son has such a sense of style!

Tessa, I keep eyeing the San Joaquin River Trail race.  I think you said you're running it?  I'm jealous but I know I'm not ready for 50k yet.

Off to run my allowed 30 minutes.  Beautiful day here but air smells like smoke from the fires.  

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

ginnyb

Love these hometown 5k's, especially when the announcer announces 2nd and 3rd and then says and the champion of 60+ is Ginny Bess!  Believe me I was not speedy either, but about the same as my past 2 this summer.  Wanted to run at least 7 yesterday but could only manage 5!  I don't know what my problem is, cannot seem to get the mileage up and my half is this weekend.  Still debating whether or not I should do it.  Weather predicted to end up in the 80's and I haven't had a long run in a month and that half was horrible.  Wish I knew why my legs are so tired.

Karen...that pic of you running is just so amazing.  Yep, you have some serious leg muscles.  I have been running 40 years and, believe me, I keep my legs under wraps, LOL!  Congratulations on the AG win!

Kat...I think that's a great time for the marathon.  Took me 7 hours to run NYC.  Like Karen stated, I don't think you will have any trouble with MCM.  I waited in line at the NYM and although it looked ridiculously long and it was, it moved pretty quickly.

Damaris....under 5!!  Stupendous!  You did better than you anticipated didn't you?

Judy...funny about picking you up at the corner.

Lizzie...you probably are just getting those weird pains we all get the week before a big race.  Sorry HCBF went to the beach today.  Did you buy anything shopping or just return?

Gatsby....I just heard recently that they, whoever they are, want to change Columbus Day to a different sort of celebration, but I can't remember what.  Sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately the library is open today, most are not.

I'm sorry I read the weekend posts, but just can't remember what everyone posted.

Upper body with trainer this morning, I thought I might cry.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Rant alert.

I just checked my race website and the slowest pace bunny is 4:30 pace. Grrrrr.  It shouldn't bother me as I usually run solo but it would have been nice to have the option of keeping them in sight. I'm hoping for sub 5 but most likely will be around 515.

Lori

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, you got your name announced as 60+ winner? Yay you! Need to get DGD out there for a few and make sure the announcer knows you're grandmother and granddaughter, they will often do a special shout out -- spectators love "feel good" bits of info like that.

Margaret, still on the fence about San Joaquin. I think I could do it, especially since there's a 50 miler so the time cutoffs are generous, it's the cost that's giving me pause. I can drive up to Fresno the morning of the race and drive back home afterwards, but it's still going to be an entry fee and about 1.5 tankfuls of gas. Same reason I'm not signing up for Revel Canyon. DD still doesn't have a job, DS has been getting very few hours, and DSBF is averaging about 20 hours a week. I'm really watching my pennies right now. (Literally -- I was leaving 7-11 this morning and the panhandler holding the door asked me to give him my change, I told him I had received one penny back and it's mine!) I'm on the list to be notified if SJ gets to 90% full so I can make a decision. Also I have to be in Dallas in November, though I think I've managed to dodge being there right before SJ.

I think you're being sensible, the race will be there next year. (And maybe so will I!)

Elina, 15F is about -10C? I don't know who sells gloves in Europe but I have some from Land's End that are very warm, they are headquartered in Wisconsin, and I would think L.L. Bean and REI would also have good ones. But normally I wear the throwaway ones I pick up at race expos. They're cotton and I can wipe my nose on them easily.

In Canada it is Thanksgiving, which in the US doesn't happen until the fourth Thursday in November. In some parts of the US it is Columbus Day and in other parts they have changed the name to "Indigenous Peoples Day" -- some people are not happy about the change while others are OK with calling it whatever as long as they get the day off. The which I do not so I am not taking sides on this one. I'm an immigrant but DD and DS have a healthy percentage of Native American background. most Americans of Mexican descent are at least part Native American and DH was mostly Mexican with a bit of Irish and Cherokee. We think.

Happy Thanksgiving Lori and any other Canadians lurking!

Liz, I think you'd have noticed if you moved to Texas. Having cravings for chili rather than cupcakes, wearing cowboy boots rather than running shoes, and your accent changing considerably. (No offense Karen!) Hope you enjoyed "butts and guts", though that sounds like parts of the chicken that you don't want to cook.

Judy, doing dishes in the bathroom sink? Yikes. I think I'd use a dishpan or bowl to wash the dishes and then dump the water down the toilet to avoid clogging the bathroom sink with bits of food.

Kat, congratulations, sorry about the unexpected potty stop. You can do MCM. Relentless forward motion. Keep going. You can do it. WEll deserved pizza and wine!

Diane, nice one on the 15. Good thought to simulate what conditions will be like. I really hope it cools down here before November 5th.

Karen, good thought on the mittens. Sorry your cold front won't be as strong as predicted.

Sandy, haven't heard of Waconia, but if Amy and her DH are visiting a winery in each state they may have. 70 in Minnesota? Wow. I have been to wineries in South Dakota but not in Minnesota.

"Bring your pet" services are usually the second Sunday of October since October 4 is the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi. I'm an Episcopalian however I would guess a number of denominations do these services, and some churches are more open than others about bringing animals to church all year round. Especially the ones that don't have carpeting are open to animals visiting! We have had people who are training guide dogs bring dogs to church on a regular basis to get them used to public areas. I do sometimes bring kittens to meet the congregation at coffee hour, so that they can get more accustomed to being handled by lots of people.

Nice double over the weekend!

Cathy, nice bike ride, 80 in Wisconsin in October? That is really unseasonal, isn't it? If you buy pumpkins, with this weather I recommend not carving them until close till Halloween. They get moldy inside and go all soft and squishy. Yes I am speaking from experience.

Margaret, ugh on being able to smell the smoke. There was nothing about the fires in the LA Times this morning, probably too late to make the morning edition, but I was reading about them online. Scary.

3.6 this morning, very windy so I went out into the wind and back with it at my back. I wasn't about to do the second half of the run uphill and into the wind. First tumbleweed sighting of the season.

Oh, and kittens have ear mites so I treated all of them with Q-tip swabs and ear drops. They were not impressed at all. Lizzy in particular was very unhappy about the eardrops and shook her head vigorously to try and get rid of them, however she needs to learn that if she wants to shake something out of her ears she will probably have more success if her ears are not flattened to her head at the time...she probably got them distributed further than they would have been otherwise! We had some very unhappy little kittens after that treatment. And they're very close to 2 lbs or just over it, so Wednesday they should go back for surgery.