Womens Running

Thankful It's Thursday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

It's fun trying to hurry the week along. I should do this all the time.

Post.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Karen,how great to be rewarded.

Arimathea, yaaaaay on selling the MG!

Wednesday I did the 15 minutes of running, then cardio work for the last 35 minutes at home.

Today will be a track run. This is the first week for getting totally back to my running schedule. I’ve been taking an antihistamine every night before bed. I need to kick this doggoned cough. There are allergens galore at work right now. That should correct itself by the weekend.

Track run today at the gym.

Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

Went out and did my 5 miles this morning and felt great again!  I thought my pace was up, but it wasn't.  Oh well, I felt good so that is what counts.  Chilly out there, but hardly any breeze at all, still have to wear mittens though.  Think I will still be wearing them in July?  I am beginning to wonder.

Good morning to all and have a great day!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!!

Got out for 3.3 lovely miles this morning, it's finally light enough and the roads clear enough for an early run   I also ran 3.1 last night while my son was at baseball practice.  I have a Half on Sunday that my RB and I are using as a training run (we have 15 on the plan so will probably run 1 before and 1 mile after).

Karen - GREAT JOB Monday, that was so cool of your co-workers!  Our little town did have one Boston runner, nice gal I've known for a few years and run with a couple of times.  I think she ran it in 3:44 (she's 51)

Judy - enjoy the track run!

Ginny - nice 5!  I had most of my winter gear on, too (sigh)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

morning. Yay Tessa for selling the MG

FB kept telling me today was Karens birthday. i don't get why some days it does that. Giving me the wrong days.

Marjorie

Howdy!  Had a great ride yesterday and ran this morning.  Whew!

Yay Tessa!  Progress!

When I came out of the bathroom this morning Buddy had stolen a pair of neon yellow knit gloves from my closet.  The fingers were sticking out of his mouth.  Luckily I got him to drop them before he swallowed them.  Silly dog!

Never a dull moment at Crazy Sue's!

Karen--enjoy the rock star treatment--you earned it!

Have a great day!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Silly dog, indeed, Sue!

I did run today. 10.2 miles.

I hope oped you won't be wearing mittens or gloves in July, Ginny

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Susan, good thing Buddy doesn't live at Ginny's. I think she still needs those gloves! Is he likely to get over his habit of eating everything in sight, or is this likely a response to having been deprived (not sure what landed him in foster care).

Judy, hope you can kick that cough!

Ginny, hope you can shed the mittens soon. I still pull my sleeves down over my hands, it's not that cold but my hands feel it a lot even in the 50s.

Laura, such a nice feeling when it's light enough to ditch the reflective gear before the run starts. I always feel like such a git running in a reflective vest after the sun comes up, but I don't want to go out before dawn without one.

Marjorie, want to come to California and paint? The garage door was installed yesterday and the surround is raw wood, it needs painting. I think Sis might do it, but you're welcome to come and lend your expertise...(grin)

Anyone heard from Lisa? I haven't received the text I thought she was going to send with info about her airplane friend hiking the PCT.

4 miles this morning with RN, who was bubbling over about her Boston experience. We got to the end of the run and she had only got to Heartbreak Hill.  I'll hear more about it on Saturday morning, she's not running Leona Divide but she's coming up to cheer friends and maybe help out at the finish line. Her DH is helping with the start so he has to be there at 4 AM, the 50K doesn't start until 6:30 so RN is catching a ride with me, I'm planning to leave at 4:30 to get there about 5:30.

Didn't get in a second run yesterday as I had hoped, but planning another one today.

Saw the doctor yesterday and had more X rays taken. The kneecap was definitely broken, but he looked at the X rays the urgent care took and then at yesterday's and it appears the break was in a different place from where it was originally suspected. (Or there were two separate cracks.) He ordered me to keep wearing the brace and come back in two weeks. I can run and walk and do stairs, but I'm not to squt or kneel or do lunges. No worries on the last, I never do them because they hurt my knees.

I could use the advice of the wise women of the forum.

Most of you know that DH was estranged from his family, his choice, not mine and not theirs. He was adamant from, oh, I think early 2004 onwards that I not contact his family at all in any way. He called his mother from time to time but refused to see or speak to any of his siblings. He didn't want to contact them even when he got sick. I could have called them in the last few weeks before he died, but I didn't want to call to say "hey, we haven't spoken in nearly ten years but I could use some help taking care of him" or "he's still a disagreeable bitter angry old man, want to come visit?"

And I haven't called since. I am not sure what to say. I was fond of his family, and it really hurt me when none of them contacted me to see what was going on after he cut off contact. I know I could (and perhaps should) have reached out, but I'd promised not to initiate contact with them. They knew where I worked. They could have called or emailed. They didn't. I'm having a hard time getting past that.

However, there's a new wrinkle in the situation. I had forgotten about an old life insurance policy of DH's. He hadn't paid any premiums in years, and in fact there was a loan against the policy which has been increasing because it was accumulating interest, but there is a balance payable to the policy beneficiary of about $5000 because of policy dividends and so forth. We got a letter with an overdue premium notice reminding us that we should pay the premium. I called to let them know that he'd died. The beneficiary is his mother, with his two nieces listed as beneficiaries in the event she predeceased him. Twenty-three years of marriage, two children, and he never cared enough to change the beneficiary. Oh well. Water under the bridge. His mum was kind to us and she's had a hard life, if she's still living she's welcome to it, and if she isn't then it's a little windfall for his nieces.

So do I call one of his sisters to tell them of DH's death? Or do I provide the life insurer with what contact information I have for his mum and documentation of his death and have them do it?

If I do call, what do I say? I could easily see his family not wanting anything to do with me, especially if they think I'm the cause of the estrangement. That's possible. I would not blame them, either, though DH caused the rift I didn't do as much as I possibly could have to maintain contact.

And if I don't call and they learn of his death from the insurer, I suspect that will create a breach that will never be overcome.

In addition, it's not just me. My children would like to see that side of their family too.

What would you do?

Tessa--that really stinks that DH did not change the beneficiary on his insurance.

Not knowing much about the situation, if it were me, I would go ahead and contact the family, adding that he was adamant they not be contacted, and you followed his wishes.  It would be more hurtful for them to find out through other means, and you and the kids may be able to re-establish some sort of relationship at some point.

If the discussion does not go well, you tried and you won't have to worry/wonder/feel guilty anymore.

Hugs.  I know you will be so glad when all the difficult decisions are behind you.

Hey--I may be in Long Beach for an audit in July.  Maybe we can meet for a run and dinner again?  Will let you know.  Still in the planning stages.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  Ended up with an SRD yesterday and woke up super early to run 8 miles this morning.  We are leaving for Nashville tonight (we are set to run the RnR Country Music Half Marathon - I am running with hubby).

Judy, good luck with the run.

Ginny, great run notwithstanding the pace.

LC Runs, nice runs and good luck with the race!

Tessa, yay for selling the MG.  Nice run. If I were you, I would just give the insurance company the beneficiary information.  Sounds like they didn't care enough about him to even ask how he was doing (and not help you when you most needed it).  But I am sure you're nicer than me, ha.

Marjorie, great job on your run.

Sue, awww, that Buddy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ginnyb

Tessa.....IMHO I would contact the family and explain how DH was adamant that you not contact his family and you have just been following what he wanted you to do.  If you do this and they don't respond well, you do not have to feel any remorse at all, you did what you could.  I also think your children should get to know that side of their family , if possible, regardless.

ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

ginnyb

I am thinking about running and 10 mile race in the next town over next weekend.  It is the Huron Lighthouse 5k and 10-miler.  Anyway, I emailed them to find out if there was a time limit , this is their response:

Most of our runners are finished within two hours, Ginny. But we’d love to have you join us. We have  a chase car, (funny name) to follow the last runner so that we don’t lose anyone.

That is fine, but you all know that I have been "followed" by these damn cars before and I hate it!!  Not sure I want to do it now, and I know that is silly, but damn I hate those cars.  I checked previous years results an am pretty sure I will be dead last, all finished in under 2 hours and I know I can't do that.  But...also on one other person in my age group last year.

Ginny

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Tessa call them. Extend the olive branch. Then the ball is in their court. They may very much want a relationship with your family.  Hearing from you what happened and that he has passed is better than just from the insurance. Then you are doing the right thing and if they choose to not too you have at least tried.

Sure I'd come paint. You know I would!  Darn if you didn't live all the way on the other side of the country!

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Hey guys,

Tired here. I was actually glad I had a dentist appointment because it meant I got to sleep in an extra 45 minutes this morning. Swamped at work, but my brain has pretty much shut down. It is beautiful out here today - I went out to grab a sandwich at lunch and determined that I will run a few easy miles after work. Too nice not to. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain, so tonight it is.

Tessa, congrats on selling the MG! I missed that on yesterday's thread and had to go back and reread. I understand RN's excitement! I forget, was this her first Boston? And is she going back next year?

As for your DH's family, I would call his sister. It may not go anywhere and she may unfairly blame you, or she may know her brother well enough to understand he was a stubborn old man that forbade you from having contact with them. And the reason I would call instead of letting the insurance company handle it is because of your kids. They would probably appreciate a relationship with their father's family, and vice versa. It may take some time (on both sides), but if there's a chance it could work out, I think it's worth it to put yourself out there.

Judy, I forgot to say I'm glad you found Sunday Buddy!

Ginny, yay for the great run. I wish you lived out here - I just looked at the results from last years Baltimore 10 Miler and there were lots of finishers between 2 and 3 hours. You need races in bigger towns! I don't know what to tell you - I think 10 milers are the perfect race distance, but I don't think I'd like being shadowed by the chase car either. It sounds like their attitude is right (at least the person writing the email) and they won't try to force you along or make you quit, but it's got to be frustrating. Then again, somebody is always going to be that last person so that car is going to be following somebody. Maybe you, maybe not.

Susan, Buddy cracks me up. And also makes me glad my dog is old enough that he really doesn't get into trouble anymore. He must be hilarious to play with though!

Laura, yay for daylight morning runs! Sounds like your training is going well.

Nice run Marjorie. Weird about fb. I think I saw a notification that you wished me a happy birthday.....two and a half months early.

Enjoy the race Damaris! Did I see that hubby is a Half Fanatic now? Do you think he'll ever try a full?

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

I' at Paducah.  Amazing quilts...beyond my imagination.  Sue they have the perfect quilt for you/buddy!  I'll explain later.

i did find a place to run/walk this am and did 45-50 min.

tessa, I agree with advice from others.  I'd contact his siblings And let them tell his mom if she's alive.  Surely his siblings would have let him know if she wasn't.

Have a great day!