Womens Running

TRACK WORKOUT TUESDAY DIVAS (Read 14 times)

SassySparky

I'm heading up the hill to the track at the middle school for my run today!

I'll be running my first full, the Richmond Marathon on November 16, 2013!

SassySparky

Morning ladies!

RR: About to head out for 3 miles easy + 8 strides. My plan says strides are 30 seconds or 100m so I am doing them at a track and stride the straightaways and recover on the curves.  It's too hilly around here for me to find another place for them, except maybe a big church parking lot by my house.

NRR: I tried going to bed early last night. I had good intentions but still didn't get into bed until 9:55 and I think I fell asleep by 10:30, so my 5:30 alarm wasn't too terrible. I'm trying to get better about sleep because I know I'm going to need it as the mileage increases. G was so excited to get back to school yesterday! Big D said he had a hard time getting him to leave at the end of the day, haha. Anyway ... just work and hanging out.

Here are some personals from yesterday ...

Monk - a 10K sounds like a great plan!

NC - I'm glad you took a real rest day!

Meli - reading your weekend workouts makes me feel exhausted! G's haircut - he looks so grown up!

OWR - Is there a forest fire that's making it smokey?

Lizo - do you think you'd stay with your current company because of the new benefits, even if you got the other job?

KlMcD - after we got back from vacation I was so excited to spend some time in the kitchen! I love cooking and wish I had more time to do it!

gsdrunner

Sassy: Have a great track out. I hear with the hills, I can't find a run that is easy around here. Its funny since in VA in flat and the only hill is an overpass.

RR: Did some running over the weekend, yesterday was 10.5 hike up a mountain then some dips and scrabbling to 2 other peaks and down. I am not as sore as I thought I would be. So, I am thinking of a slow few mile run.

NRR: Not too much, annoyed/stressed/worried. Work stuff and my grandfather's 1 year is coming up and my father and grandmother are a little 'blah'... you know.. kinda rough to be around them. M is doing great. Loves every minute of the hikes and is talking up a storm. Her vocabulary is insane! And recognition of items and what they are and mean is astonishing to me. We got all from k9s in the last 2 weeks, so we are hoping from some  better sleep patterns. Poor girl so much learning and teeth pain.

Have a great day.

MA runner girl

Morning Sassy! That's so cute that G loves school so much Smile He must have missed his friends! Good luck with your run, sounds fun!

RR: Well I ran yesterday because it was beautiful and today is supposed to be stormy. My legs felt like rocks so I stopped at 3 instead of 4. I think that even though my speed came back (and then some) the lower miles is not helping me recover as fast as I did with higher mileage. So taking a rest day today and will try again tomorrow. Hoping to get some stretching in though!

NRR: OMG C slept 8-4!!! I woke up in a panic because I didn't know if I just didn't hear him or something. He was really hungry but went back to bed and it just waking up now. Yay! I was sleeping before 10 so I feel amazing, I can tell I actually got some REM sleep. Working at home today, then picking up my neice, heading to the chiro and then to dinner at my grandparents. Should be nice.

Have a great day girls!

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

MA runner girl

GSD - Aww poor M with the teething! Sounds like she is doing great otherwise though! So fun to watch them learn more. Hugs about your grandfather.

POrun

Happy Tuesday!!!!!

RR: Switched today's SRD with yesterday's run, so running tonight since class was cancelled.

NRR: Work is crazy! I'll be more relaxed after I get through today's deadlines though, so that's good. Other than that, not too much. Please send many positive vibes to DH as he's applying for new job positions. He's ready to look for a change and has started applying.

Meli: Great workouts! I'm thinking about going to watch your IM. It's going to depend on whether or not I end up signing up to race the olympic at the end of our coached season, the weekend after your race. Although, I could probably still do both, I'll let you know as it gets closer. I haven't signed up for any races yet.

Sassy: I hope you had a great workout. We used to do strides in the field instead of the track. But either should work great! One of the running coaches around here says that you need 1 minute more sleep per mile run for the week. So, 40 miles would be 40 more minutes sleep per night.

GSD: Glad you're enjoying the hikes and running. Glad M is doing better and happier!

MA: You are allowed to take slower or a mile off your run on recovery weeks! Smile Wow, glad you got some extra sleep! Hopefully G keeps that trend up!

Have a great day ladies!

SassySparky

My workout went well! the first mile was rough because it is uphill and it was so steamy (it rained last night, so it was coming off the asphalt!) but the strides were great and I feel strong!

GSD - awesome to hear about M's vocabulary! It's so cool to see them figure things out and communicate more every day.

MA - haha, I am just now learning that I like recovery runs, but when I used to run less mileage they never worked for me, either! yay for a long night of sleep!

PO - I've thought about doing strides on the soccer fields that are next to the track ... however the grass is always wet in the mornings (it rains overnight here pretty often, or there is dew). I've read that about running miles and sleep, I'm really really working on it! I am aiming for 7.5 hours a night, as I used to just sleep 7 and be ok when my mileage was lower. I hope DH has good luck with his job search! I hope work calms down soon.

outwestrunner

Good morning, ladies!

RR: USRD. I was hoping to run this morning, but the nap I took yesterday afternoon made it difficult for me to fall asleep. Then, once I did start falling asleep, Fay started in on her "woof woof" thing. Argh. So I'm moving my run to tomorrow. ST at some point today, too.  I went to yoga last night, which was okay, but once I use up this Groupon I bought for there, I'm going to transition to the other studio where my other teacher is. I like her a lot better.

NRR: Not much. Working from home again today, and maybe I'll actually get around to doing the laundry! It's been really nice being at home with the fur babies.. I don't want to go back to the office any time soon. Also trying to get my sleep schedule on a normal "at home" pattern, but obviously it's going to take a while.

QOTD - And how appropriate, given today's title. So you ladies and your awesome PRs have piqued my interest. Maybe I should start doing speed work. I think one of the main reasons I haven't done it before is that I'm afraid of sacrificing miles to it, i.e., I wouldn't do as many miles at the track as I would on a regular road run. But maybe I will have to get over that, or only do track workouts every other week?  Either way, I haven't the slightest idea where to start. There is a high school track conveniently located about 3/4 mile from my house.. but what sort of work outs? Where do you all find them on the internet?  I take it I would need to do some sort of time trial first?

Sassy - Yep, forest fires aplenty around here, although they aren't as bad (yet) as last year. Regular occurrence here and soon to be more regular, with climate change. Last year, we were getting smoke from fires in Nevada and Oregon, and the smoke from our fires was going down into Utah. Funny how the wind does that.

GSD - Your DH should be hearing about a job soon, right? Sorry to hear about the upcoming anniversary of your grandfather's passing. I'm sure it's hard on everyone.

MA - Ha! I love it - so glad you got some REM sleep!

PO - New job vibes being sent to your husband. Are there lots of opportunities where you all live?

melrunner

Morning Ladies,

Sassy, Great job on your track workout! How far away is it? I do know that every time I have tried running in NC it is soo hilly!!! So cute that G was excited to go back to school!

PO, I would totally love to have you and P there! Aunt P and R will be there cheering us on as well! And I think we even have extra room since my parents are not coming any more. Have you thought about doing Escape or Miamiman again?  You know our house is your house like always!! Is P applying to jobs in the same company or elsewhere?

GSD, Awesome about M’s vocabulary. I hope the family situation settles down.

MA, so excited that C slept more!!!! That’s awesome!!!!

OWR, I don’t do any speed work with my IM training since we base build forever and train by heart rate to avoid injury, but I know the rest of the ladies can totally help you esp PO!! Question for you, did you volunteer at an animal shelter where you found Fay or at the pound?

….

TriR: 8 miles tonight after work. So our base is at 75% of our IM distances which is great considering we were at almost 0 right after the honeymoon and we’ve been injury free! So our coach has had us base building and focusing mostly on the runs so this is a big running week for us: 8, 8 and 14. I’ve really liked the 3x a week running +biking/swimming. My only issus is that my pace has gotten super super super slow. I am not doing 3:1s so I can maintain my HR at 145-148. After this week, he’s going to have us base build more on the bike and lastly on the swim. We do have 5 hours on the bike on Sunday which should be about 90 miles!!! All we do train, sleep, eat, and do laundry!!

NtriR: my bro now comes tomorrow and we are having a Friday night pasta dinner after our OWS on Friday so we have to tidy up.

Have a great day ladies!!!

outwestrunner

Mel - We dont' have a "pound" here - animals brought in by the animal police go to the animal shelter, which is where I met Fay. I guess they're basically the same, although the shelter is focused more on adopting the animals than having a set time limit for each one.

SassySparky

OWR - i'd start with something like tempo runs. That way you would just incorporate a few faster miles into your runs, and won't be sacrificing miles. Also, I do a few miles around my neighborhood, THEN head to the track. So I only do speed workouts in the middle of my already long-ish midweek runs.

Good morning, ladies!

RR: USRD. I was hoping to run this morning, but the nap I took yesterday afternoon made it difficult for me to fall asleep. Then, once I did start falling asleep, Fay started in on her "woof woof" thing. Argh. So I'm moving my run to tomorrow. ST at some point today, too.  I went to yoga last night, which was okay, but once I use up this Groupon I bought for there, I'm going to transition to the other studio where my other teacher is. I like her a lot better.

NRR: Not much. Working from home again today, and maybe I'll actually get around to doing the laundry! It's been really nice being at home with the fur babies.. I don't want to go back to the office any time soon. Also trying to get my sleep schedule on a normal "at home" pattern, but obviously it's going to take a while.

QOTD - And how appropriate, given today's title. So you ladies and your awesome PRs have piqued my interest. Maybe I should start doing speed work. I think one of the main reasons I haven't done it before is that I'm afraid of sacrificing miles to it, i.e., I wouldn't do as many miles at the track as I would on a regular road run. But maybe I will have to get over that, or only do track workouts every other week?  Either way, I haven't the slightest idea where to start. There is a high school track conveniently located about 3/4 mile from my house.. but what sort of work outs? Where do you all find them on the internet?  I take it I would need to do some sort of time trial first?

Sassy - Yep, forest fires aplenty around here, although they aren't as bad (yet) as last year. Regular occurrence here and soon to be more regular, with climate change. Last year, we were getting smoke from fires in Nevada and Oregon, and the smoke from our fires was going down into Utah. Funny how the wind does that.

GSD - Your DH should be hearing about a job soon, right? Sorry to hear about the upcoming anniversary of your grandfather's passing. I'm sure it's hard on everyone.

MA - Ha! I love it - so glad you got some REM sleep!

PO - New job vibes being sent to your husband. Are there lots of opportunities where you all live?

MA runner girl

Outwest - Go to the track, run 4 laps (assuming a 400m track) as hard as you can. Enter your 1 mile time into this calculator to see your 5k pace. This is what most of your track work should be done at (at least what I do mine at!). I would start with maybe 4X800 and go from there. I'd love to get into fun ladders like NC has done! Speedwork = <3. If you do a really good warm up and cooldown (1-2 miles for each) it shouldn't affect you as much as you would think.

outwestrunner

Sassy - I kind of already do tempo runs, at least when I'm able to run regularly. I make one of my regular road runs faster than normal, or at least try to. Does that count?  Throw in that I don't have a Garmin and don't want one..I do everything by feel. I do have a Timex Ironman I could use at a track.

NorCal

Morning ladies!!

RR. Today is the first week I'm NOT doing a Tuesday Track Workout! lol. Rest day was good, but did end up doing a 30 minute hike which felt good. I might do a 2-3 mile recovery run today. I used the stick and lot yesterday and today, I'll try the foam roller. Using a lot of arnica gel too. Gotta get back to arms/abs today.

NRR. Day 1 with NO added sugar! Cut it out of my oatmeal and tea, which was hard. I added blueberries to my oatmeal instead. I'm not doing zero added sugar every day, but trying to save it for special treat, instead of daily.

At home today, have an in-box FULL of stuff to do! Plus booking our overnight trip in SF for my birthday! Fun! And signing up for my next half marathon, which is in 10 weeks! Smile

Sassy- That's SO great G loves school. Oh man, those hair cut pictures were ADORABLE! What a little man! Love him! Enjoy the track workout!

MA- YAY YAY YAY for SLEEP! Good boy, C! I bet your whole day will be awesome after sleeping like that! lol Hope your legs recover.

GSD- Nice job on the hiking, mama! You rock! Sorry things are a little "down" right now. (((hugs)))

PO- Hope you make it through deadline day in one piece! Good luck to DH on the job hunt!

OWR- YES to speed work! It has totally changed my pace, I never even realized how effective it would be. And it's FUN! (haha) I too thought about "losing" mileage, but honestly, it's a higher quality workout, then easy miles, so it's a win either way. Plus, you can always tack on a little extra to your other runs, plus do a longer warm up/cool down if you're really trying to hit a certain weekly mileage. As far as what workouts to do, I run with a group so just show up and we all decide what we want to do. But I think it depends what you're training for, like longer intervals for longer distance races, shorter stuff for shorter races. For my next training cycle, I have created a plan which is pretty much all 400s and 800s. As far as pace, if you go out a few times and run them by effort/feel, you'll get an idea of what pace you're at. I try to keep my 400s under 1:45 and my 800s under 3:35, 1200s under 5:25 and 1600s under 7:25. These paces are based on my experience of what I can do, and also by the speed work table in Run Less, Run Faster.

Sorry for the novel!

Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon 10.20.2013 

Tiburon by the Bay Half Marathon 11.3.2013 (My Birthday!) 

Napa Valley Full Marathon 3.2.2013

PRs: 

Half: 1:48

Full: 4:34

SassySparky

Meli - the track is <0.5 miles away, but I like to run at least 1.5 - 2 miles as a warm up (and at least a mile cool down) because it takes my body a long time to be ready for speed work!

NC - how are the legs? Good luck with no added sugar!

OWR - MA and NC had great advice! I don't think you will sacrifice any mileage and like NC said a good track workout (or just any speed workout) is going to be more "bang for your buck" in terms of fitness.