Womens Running

Run, don't march into the weekend! (Dailies) (Read 21 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

HI!

Quick pop in to say I am carbed up and ready to go! VERY NERVOUS! The strong winds should be dying down overnight but we are still going to be having some pretty big wind gusts tomorrow. I really want to race it sooooooooo bad. I am worried it will be like Milkwaukee (super hard. super windy). But I am going to give it all I got and hopefully I wont poop my pants. Wink

Everyone had great mileage today! WOOT WOOT

Karen - Congratulations on Woodlands! With you not being in "full" training mode and still making it in 4:00?! BADASS. Hope you are relaxing!

Kathryn - Mom surprises and chats beat a race anyday Smile Have a good time!

Cathy - HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Tessa - Good luck, Tessa!

I am going to have a cupcake before I go to bed to help the carb process haha. We got lunch at my favorite sub place (plain sub for me) but instead of wrapped up cookies - they had wrapped up pieces of CAKE! Of course I got the funfetti one. SO GOOD. All this sugar better help me tomorrow Smile

Have a great night ladies and I will talk with you all tomorrow!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Anonymous Guest

I can finally count The Woodlands Marathon in my marathon/ultra count! I actually felt pretty good until about mile18, running mostly 8:45-8:50, I think I had one 8:30. And that included stopping to pee somewhere around mile 8. Then it got hot (upper 70s and full sun) and my lack of endurance showed up. Together, that made that last 8 miles brutal. A good bit of walking, a good bit of arguing in my head (I don't want to run, just run easy, I don't want to but okay, wait, this hurts, that's because you're trying to go too fast and need to slow down, I think I need to walk again, and so on and on). I apparently walked just a little bit too much and couldn't speed up in the heat at the end, so couldn't quite break four hours. 4:00:08. Sigh. I'm actually feeling pretty good about it overall, it went better than anticipated. My crash and burn felt pretty spectacular and awful, but I only had a couple miles in the 10s and was at least able to keep most of my slower miles at the end in the 9s at least. I think the heat affected a lot of people as my time was good enough for fourth in my age group, and my friend, who ran the race pretty much identical to the way I did with a crash and walking at 18, finished fourth in the 45-49 group with a 3:56. Last year my 3:42 short course (so figure 3:48-9 full) got my sixth or seventh in the 45-49 group. On to the next one!!

Sandy, it's doubly confusing - not only are they careless with details on their website and in their emails, but the name of the town is The Woodlands. So if someone said they were running The Woodlands Marathon, you'd most likely think that if anything they were running in a town called Woodlands. No, it's The Woodlands.

Kathryn, sounds like a good decision to blow off the race. Time with Mom is always a win.

Liz, go get 'em tomorrow! I'm excited for you.

Tessa, you too.

The rest of you, I don't remember what I was going to say. I am tired. After the race we came back to my house and got in the pool (water temp is low 70s but felt like an ice bath), then into the hot tub. Then nothing much, watched the Notre Dame/UVA bb game (friend visiting is from Charlottesville, plus her daughter goes to UVA). She is out with a friend of hers from college tonight, I am lying around doing nothing. Wedding is actually tomorrow (I didn't realize people sometimes get married on Sundays). I doubt I will be hitting the dance floor.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

Wind has died down some. Pretty crazy yesterday, pretty much all the major bridges were closed for a period of the day. DH went out in the afternoon and tried to go to Home Depot and the grocery store. Home Depot was closed because of no power, guess they didn't keep some generators for themself and the grocery store must have been operating on a generator. Got in 4 today, still windy, but not as intense.

Lizzie, good luck tomorrow! On the plus side, you should have a totally flat course. I always tell myself that's the trade off with anything on the shore--it's flat, but almost always windy.

Anonymous Guest, nice race!

RTurtles, Happy Birthday!

Arimathea

Tessa

Just had dinner with Rebecca (runnertype, Lisa and Margaret and Karen have met her) and NotSoFast and her family. Ready to run tomorrow!

RN got 13th OA, 3rd F, 1st in AG at Diamond Valley Lake. Just over 4 hours. They didn't have many people because it was raining. They need more next year -- who needs CA? And some jerk ran the race with last year's bib. This is a major fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity -- what a putz. Some races you shouldn't cheat to bandit.

Kupcakes, it sounds like it's been really bad in the Northeast. Take care!

Lizzie and Tessa-Have great races! Go go go!!!!

Cathy- Happy Birthday!!! 

Lizzie-I hope the wind dies down for you but the cupcakes will carry you through!!! 

Tessa-mini FE's are the best!!! How many did they have total at Diamond Valley? Not to toot my own horn but I was 3rd in AG AND 14th OA at Piney Woods! (And DFL) That is a major putz for cheating at a charity race.  I also still need New Mexico for a SW state. I added the states I still need to my signature. LOL Woodstock is 9-7.

Carol-2 double beds for those 4 people. 2 in each bed. LOL Come and do North Country! We don't have lodging yet but I'm guessing it will be airbnb... no mice.

Margaret-didn't see duct tape over shoes at Antelope, will see that at DWD though to hold them on. did see the desert gaiters though that fit over complete top of shoe.

Sandy-I had downloaded the ultraladies training plan for 50 miles. Had it on refrigerator. Didn't really follow it but that's because I had enough marathon 50k's on my calendar and am at the point where I can go out and drop 20 miles when I have the time. Took a long time to get here but I can do it and I like doing it. I'm glad that you like those words! I also don't get out for long mid-week runs but that's because of time available. My strategy of starting 14 hours earlier is completely based on the desire to then go home, shower, nap and party with those finishing later. Would be a hoot to say that I showered, napped and then came to cheer your "slow A$$e$" on to the finish but I know I'm not that fast but it's funny in theory. HR question: That person's manager and HR needs to have documentation if they are having to make "accommodations" to work schedule, tasks performed, or work area for medical reasons. coworkers don't need that documentation or explanation but the boss does. I'm not as much "employee relations" type of HR as others in department but I do hear them talk about having documentation for time needed off to go to numerous doc appts. The magic word is "accommodations" and its what puts you into the legal/documentation realm.

Laura-I do really like the yoga classes. Aside from the obvious stretching part, they really help with breathing, strength, balance, and focus. The main point is to be able to be at the edge of discomfort, to be so focused on the movement, the breathing, the mindfulness of how specifically your muscles feel in a certain pose that you stop listening to other chatter in your brain. You're doing something with such focus that you can't think of anything else. You're ignoring your brain telling you to stop holding the pose or going through the flow. The tie to distance running is there for me mentally. Being mentally stronger, putting aside the thoughts to stop and being more focused on the moment at hand, not the one ahead. Also being okay with where you are at that specific moment with what your body can do and listening to it. It's weird but I do really like the real classes where the teachers say all that sort of stuff.

Diane-I know that you get the yoga stuff. We will keep looking for more races to do together... see my list below of states needed and don't be afraid to suggest some to me so that we can do more together! I could always use more curse words added to my vocabulary and you do it with such a flare at the end of race!

HCK2-funny about Home Depot.

Damaris-How is DH's prognosis? I know you said things went well. PM if you don't want public. Enjoy family ... they runs will get done at some point.

Kathryn-mom ARE important especially mom with wine!

Karen-Congrats on the 4 hour marathon!!! Those road mile markers are a blessing and a curse I think. Way to tough it out though mentally! Love your inner dialogue.  Really... that's the sort of stuff that comes back to me when I'm in a long race and it helps to hear how you talked yourself back to running vs walking. You can dance on the dance floor but avoid hitting it. (I'm being much more specific in my warnings to people now.)

I had been warned not to fall off of cliffs or into any "big holes" but everyone left out falling into the bathtub. Final clean up from carpet cleaning had me using one foot to "mop" some water off of bathroom floor after cleaning out the machine reservoirs.  Of course the floor was damp and of course my shoes were slippery from having walked across the clean carpet. Of course the combination resulted in both feet going out from under me, arms in the air and the edge of the bathtub connecting with my right side rib cage being what broke my fall. They did their job but the sensation of them in action and the sort of crunchy sound left me sitting on the floor for a good five minutes assessing the situation. Never had that sort of injury and all the possibilities went through head. Figured they were just bruised but what if... let's just say that those closest to me at the moment were either out of town or are too far away. Googled a bit and thanks to all of you on FB who gave advice. Ended up at ER for xrays so I knew what I was dealing with. 2.5 hours later....no breaks showing up so home again with good drug prescriptions.  I'll take for a day or so but I'd rather deal with the ache than be on Norco and 800 mg Ibuprofen.

No wine or beer had been consumed prior to fall. No wine or beer consumed after because of drugs, even more reason not to take them for long. LOL Hurts like a mo fo ...worse than last week after avoiding cliffs and big holes for 50 miles.

At least I had gotten my slow burn yoga and a run in yesterday. Looks like today will be doing DD's taxes, slowly folding laundry and the other non strenuous things on my list.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 15 with 6 @ MP coming up on the TM.

Lisa, hoping you recover quickly.  ouch.

Hubby is fine.  It was a benign tumor the size of a large fist and 2/3 was removed in 2016.  Benign tumors grow very slowly (if at all) and the surgeon was hoping the 1/3 would not grow for at least 10 years, but it started growing this year (albeit very slowly), so he wanted to remove it now that hubby is 46 and not 51.  Anyway, almost all was removed. The surgeon said there was a tiny microscopic part that was lodged to a major artery so he didn't touch it.  He says it's invisible to the MRI but if any point it's visible, they can zap it with the Gamma Knife this time since it's very tiny.  Overall, he is recovering better than last time (1/3 of the size of the last removal, so there is that) and he should be back to running next Thursday (2 weeks post surgery) like last time.  He is too hyper already so I need to calm him down a bit since he is capable of running already.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cathy, Happy Birthday!!!!

Lizzie, hoping you are killing it!  Anyone has the tracking?  I forgot to set it up, doh.

Damaris

LC Runs

Happy Sunday!

7 miles for me this morning, that is officially my longest run since the fall.  9:23 pace and felt pretty good.  BF and I are going to see a movie and have dinner this afternoon.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CATHY!!

Sandy - WTG on the 16 miler yesterday!!  Yes, very glad they caught the kid, what a weird story.  Sounds like he was on drugs or possibly had schizophrenia/mental illness or a combination of both.  Apparently, he took a load of his stuff to the parent's car and took his Dad's handgun (dad was a cop), brought it back to the room and shot them dead.

Margaret- nice run yesterday!!

Hi Carol - I got a pair of Under Armour shoes, have never tried them before but like them so far!

Tessa - I forget which day you were travelling, was the student out of school before Friday?  DD said a lot of the kids were gone already, which is good.

Kat - wine and conversation sounds like a lovely afternoon!!

Damaris - nice OTF workout and glad you get to enjoy a cool LR!!

LC Runs

LIzzie - I am hearing good things about your race results, whoo hoo!!

Karen- great job!!

Kupcakes - glad the wind has calmed down!

Lisa - OUCH on the fall, glad nothing is broken but I"m sure it hurts so bad.  Sending healing vibes!!  I would like to try a yoga class but nothing around here.  My mom is a big yoga person, she takes several classes a week and works at the yoga studio (store) in exchange for classes.

Damaris - so glad DH is doing well!!

Karen, nice job!  I know you felt undertrained but that's a great time!

Tessa, hope you are having a good race today.  Is Rebecca aka runnertype aka Pickles (on FB) doing the race too?  Or she's just in the general vicinity?

Lizzie, wahoooo on killing it today!  Was thinking of you on my run this morning and wondering how big of a PR you would get.  

Kupcakes, ugh on the wind!  I hate wind.  Good that it's dying down.

Lisa, I'd be up for a race in Oregon, I love running up there.  But probably not until next year.  Or possibly fall this year (but you've got Woodstock).  Anyway, I'm in, let's brainstorm.

Damaris, glad to her hubby is making such a good recovery.  And sounds like no more procedures like that will be necessary, which must be a big relief.

Turtles, happy birthday!!!  

LC, that's a speedy 7 miles! Nice job.

Kat, agree that wine and Mom time greatly outweigh a HM.  Always more races out there.

Did I miss anyone?  Hi to anyone else!

8.3 miles for me this morning.  Chilly but sunny.  Bridges along the path were frosty and slick!  Heading out in a bit to meet a friend and attend a presentation at an art gallery.   BBL!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ended up running on the TM because I woke up too late to take advantage of any cool weather. It's been sunny AF.

15 with 6 @ MP done.

Congrats, Lizzie!!!

Damaris

Hello!!!  I finally got home late yesterday. Whew!  I am so happy to be home!!  DS2 and his GF are home for the weekend, so I am pup sitting while they are out at the islands. Beautiful spring day here.

RB and I did 8.5 this morning.  We both decided we need new shoes!  I need to call and order tomorrow. The LRS is about a 45 minute drive, but a friend is the manager. I can order and she will bring them.  I can also return them to her on Sunday Wink

Lisa--how are you feeling today?  I agree--you don't want to be home alone and find out you are really hurt. Glad nothing is broken. MS races--look up Carl Touchstone near Hattiesburg.  I've never done it, but friends have.

DF is at sea for a month. Miss him already.

And--there are NO groceries in the house. I let the pups play outside and they are napping. Time to go to the store!

I think I got butter on my key board....don;t tell DF!!

From Margaret:

Lisa, I'd be up for a race in Oregon, I love running up there.  But probably not until next year.  Or possibly fall this year (but you've got Woodstock).  Anyway, I'm in, let's brainstorm.

I'm googling marathons and ultras.  Has to have finishing times at least of 8 + hours for marathon and 9+ for 50k ... preferably not earning us mountain or sky running points. LOL

Here's what I have with 2018 dates but looking for 2019 or beyond:

Marys Peak Trail Run 50k June 16th this year. Photos look gorgeous and lush and I see finisher times up to 9:39 for the 50k.

Ochoco 50k July 7th this year. this one does score mountain points but I think I could make the cutoff and if not would have seen the best stuff by it. I see a 10:20 finisher time. Lookout Mountain! Oh the posts that would come with that one.

Elkhorn Crest Marathon July 28th this year. More mountain points. You could go for the 50 mile but I'd stick to the marathon with finishers up to 9 hours for the marathon. Contains "the Gauntlet" of half mile of extremely rocky terrain. HALF MILE. LOL

Elk-Kings 50k October 13th this year. A double out-back. They have a marathon as well but it looks way harder than the 50k. The marathon: "It’s for those who eat class 3 scrambles for breakfast, bombing descents for lunch, and hill repeats for dinner. Plus it is a bit longer than a marathon – you’ll run for 27.5 mile – it’s in the mountains afterall. You’ll get 8,000 feet of gain. Yes, that was 8,000′ of climbing and a little more than that in descending. Tempted?"  Lisa-no. Margaret-? LOL I would do the 50k and be happy with single track full of stream crossings, rollers, and dense forest in the fall.

Damaris-thanks for the update.. it is a good one!

Sue-will check out MS race! I'm sure the elevation profiles will look MUCH different than Oregon. LOL

Laura-nice run and great pace!

How the heck did the day get this late? Oh yeah. I was knocked out and slept until noon. Making up for being up the day before for 22 hours straight. Will do something really strenuous now that shouldn't require a spotter.. fold laundry.

Can't wait to hear race reports!!

Lisa

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I am going to catch up on some personals first….

Cathy - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! You are the SWEETEST!!! Your support meant a lot today!! And thanks for keeping everyone updated Smile Glad HCBF knew to reach out to you haha.

Carol - You are doing the full marathon in Pittsburgh, right?

Laura - I was glad to read that DD got home safe and sound. Also saw the news about the shooter. As bad as it is for me to say…at least no other student was hurt. Awful about his parents but it could have been a lot worse. Wow, great run today and nice pace!!!

Sandy - You were cracking me up last night. Popcorn in bed..LMAO!!! OMG You need to hang out with HCBF!! He always begs me to go to Target to get some popcorn. But he always asks like, 15 minutes before dinner LOL. NICE job on that run yesterday, girl!!! I bet you were on a runners high Smile I am really hoping that stellar week happens Smile Now my biggest concern with the job is $$. I gave them a range, I just hope they offer the higher end of the range haha. I don’t know how to “professionally” ask for more.

Margaret - Nice miles this weekend! I loved that picture of you from your 12 miler Smile You are so cuuuttteee! Smile BTW, I got my 2 rest day idea from you. I saw how well it has worked for you and it has worked for me as well! Have a great time at the art gallery!!

Tessa - I am anxious to hear how the race goes today!!!

Kathryn - Hope you are having a great time!

Docket - A cool down? In Florida!? Take advantage of that! Loved the picture you posted yesterday of the hubs - who else was in the picture? He looks so happy! Like he didn’t even have surgery! I can’t believe he will be cleared to run next Thursday! Nice 15 for you today!!!

Karen - Congratulations again on your race. I think you did pretty awesome for your “lack of training” (thought I don’t think so). I also have to say THANK YOU for making general comments about how I could do better with my timing. I can honestly say, because of you, I pushed myself and set goals. I was just running marathons to run them..but having someone believe that I truly could do better hit a nerve. So..THANK YOU. Was that sappy? I am very emotional today. But its the truth. Have fun at the wedding tonight! If no dancing - just eat the food. Weddings have become real “foodie” events lately!

Run4kupcakes - You know, I had completely forgot that Newport News was considered on the coast until you mentioned it. You are completely right. I will take the winds if the course is flat Smile

Lisa - Interesting answer to Sandy’s question. I was wondering that too. I wonder if that varies by state? I had seen your post last night on Facebook about your fall! Glad nothing was broken. I had thought maybe you broke a rib or something. Ouch either way. Hope you are feeling somewhat better today.

Susan - Oh wow, SCORE on the shoes. Does she give you a discount, too?! Smile I want to order a new pair of shoes myself! Sorry you are missing DF! Sad Sad Good luck on the grocery shopping!

I am going to post about the race next!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Wow! What a GREAT day!!!

I am just over here crushing goals! 26.2 miles in 4:13! My previous PR was 4:24 so I knocked off 11 minutes!!! I still can't believe I did that!

I am not good at race reports but will give you guys what I remember haha..

This was a small one! Probably about 200 marathon runners and that included the relay. LOVE THAT. So easy to get to the start line and plenty of potties! HCBF was able to come right up to me in the start line so that was cool. It was COLD (36) and I felt that wind big time. When the race started..the first couple miles I really wish I had had gloves! My hands were freezing! But once we turned and changed direction I started feeling my fingers again.

The race was a point to point which I have never done before. So thankfully (thanks to Sandy, I was prepped for this) the wind was at my BACK for the most part. There were some twists and turns that it hit me smack in the face..but for most of the race it wasn't that bad. I stuck with the 4:15 pace group. There were times when I fell back a ways and had to pick up speed to catch back up..but I was keeping pace pretty well and feeling pretty "comfortable" - well as comfortable as I could. One point I had to pee so I had to sprint to catch back up with them which wasn't fun. Haha. Around mile 10 - we were running through a neighborhood and there were cones everywhere for the cars to follow so they wouldnt hit us - well this one lady drove through the cones and almost hit someone!! This was happening right in front of me - so then BAM 5 seconds later here come the cops! I laughed. PEOPLE ARE DUMB! Why would you do that?! Somewhere so important you had to be that you would hit someone? Ugh.

I was feeling pretty good until i hit about 18..I was just getting tired. My hamstrings were started to make themselves known and I felt like I was having trouble keeping up with the pace group. I had a feeling the tracking wasn't working because HCBF usually sends a text after the halfway - so I sent him a text when I got to 20 and just said "20" LOL. He sent something super sweet back like, "you got this. You are right on target" so I shoveled some gummies in my mouth and  BAM..I felt energized again and was able to pass the pacer about mile 21. I was hitting a mental road block by mile 23..but knew I just had to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I saw that goal..I saw it..and i wanted it BAD.

In the meantime I started getting texts from Cathy and another good friend of mine so I thought that the tracking was working. Turns out HCBF was messaging Cathy on FB and letting her know Smile Same with my friend. When I got Cathy's text I started crying. I am not sure why I was freaking crying over everything during this race. LOL.

When I turned the corner after 26.1 and saw that finish line - tears again. I saw the clock at 4:12 and knew I was going to make it. Not only did I get my 4:15..but I got under it. I was so beyond proud of myself.

One reason why I think I got so emotional was because I never ever thought I was capable of getting under a 4:15. NEVER. Thats speedy and fast and that just isn't me. But I did it..so I guess I am "speedy and fast". It also makes that "dream" of a sub 4 in my future - possible. I won't get that time my next race, or even the next one..but I will continue working hard until I get it.

Oh, and let me say this race was awesome. From it not being so crowded - to the course...I would sooooo run this again. Nice and FLAT!

I am resting the rest of the day. We have to get Ruger at 4..then I am going to make SPAGHETTI! I know Sandy laughed out loud when she read that Smile WITH CHEESY BREAD! YEAH! Hahahaha. I also took tomorrow off! Going to rest and recoup. I am really not feeling that bad but I got windburn pretty bad on my face and neck..so I am just wiped. I also have a sinus headache. Weird.

So that is my sappy race report. I hope my luck streak keeps going into this next week. WOULD LOVE SOME GOOD JOB NEWS! Smile Smile

Okay! I need a snack Smile All I have had post race was a yogurt and a cupcake Smile I never am real hungry after a race for some reason.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO