Womens Running

To Run Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 202 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Judy, nice run with Fast Buddy! Someday we need to drag you to an FE and all of us run with you.

Julie, good sore is good. Glad the HR recovery bodes well! Also, one thing that not everyone mentions is quality of life as well as length. I would far rather live a little less time and be able to walk, climb stairs, stand for a while, etc. than live longer but be bedridden due to muscle wasting or gasping for breath because I smoked all my life.

Lisa-Marie, sorry about the battery. DH is a keeper. And I agree, walking just seems so pokey when one is used to running!

Camille, please define "late spring", what months? Late April through May? And that may be a gamble for cool weather within easy drive of Atlanta. NC probably has some good ones but flat may not be an option. Florida is flat but cool is unlikely.

Laura, yay for a tempo run. What are the temps, 50s?

Damaris, ouch on the allergy shots, that sounds painful.

Marjorie, is late March "late spring"? Not sure. Easter is March 31st this year and I doubt anyplace is going to schedule a race with road closures on Easter Sunday morning for fear of the wrath of the local churches, when is Snickers?

Hi Carolyn!

Karen, poor baby Jake with the cone. Unless you have access to a track doing 400 repeats sounds like a TM workout to me.

Susan, ugh on the broken pool heater. Swimming in the Gulf would probably be warmer! Snickering about you finishing off the Ben and Jerry's whilst watching BL.

Linda, very good point on "if I stop it will take twice as long to get home". There are good reasons for loop routes, incentive to keep running being one of them!

DD, she of the waist-length, wrist-thick braid, went back to college yesterday. It may take the entire semester to unclog the shower drain in that bathroom. And DS with his shoulder length curly mop adds to the problem on a regular basis.

4.3 this morning with neighbour and her DH. Her DH peeled off when we turned around, he wanted to do more mileage. She did a full on Sunday so is taking it easy today. And get this -- she ran the full at the last minute, when a friend of hers couldn't do the race and offered her the bib. She BQed and can't use it because she was running with someone else's bib on. And the person whose bib it was has already qualified. Talk about karma coming back to bite you in the butt! Now she has to try to repeat the time in a race she actually paid for.

Happy runs!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Snickers is generally the beginning of March so not late spring at all but it is still a flat race.

Tessa oh that is hard to BQ and not use it because it isn't in her name!  Yikes.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

JulieD, to answer your question from yesterday, BQ-10 and BQ-20 would be BQ minus 10 and BQ minus 20. So if your BQ time is 3:50, then BQ-10 would be 3:40 and BQ-20 would be 3:30. Someone with a time of 3:30 or faster, or the equivalent for those with other qualifying times, would get to register first. After a set time period (I think it's a week, to give all those whose feet are faster than their computers time to register) then the BQ-10 group gets to register. Another week or so. Then it's open to all those who have met their time for another registration period.

Note, however, that this is not "first to register are in automatically". Once the third registration period is over, then all those who applied are ranked by qualifying time within their age/gender group. If there is more demand for slots than there are spaces open, which is usually going to be the case, then those who just barely qualified do not get in. The spot goes to a faster person even though she may have signed up later than the barely qualified person did.

It's reasonably fair, more so than two years ago when Boston filled in seven hours and there were so many server problems that a lot of runners who had very fast qualifying times didn't get in, especially those who were at work and couldn't get online to register.

But if your BQ time is 3:50 and your race time was 3:49:10, to pull an example out of the air, you are going to be in for a miserable wait until they confirm your entry, and there's a good chance you may not get in because your time was just barely good enough to get you into the registration system. And they have to confirm everyone's entry using records for the race(s) in which you qualified. Some races are not certified Boston qualifying courses -- Hatfield-McCoy, for instance. Even if Karen wins the race in 3:10 she wouldn't be able to use that as a BQ entry.

Hope that helps...although it may be more confusing! And this is how I understand the system to work. Others feel free to chime in/correct, please.

Docket_Rocket

Marjorie, got it.  Let me know when and where you'll be the nearest to me and we'll have dinner.  I cannot wait!

mommymac, at least it does not happen as often as with Pluck, right?  Or at least I hope so....

Anonymous, so far I have: Goofy this weekend, ING Miami on the 27th, A1A in February, Napa in March (tentative), Paris in April, PR in May, and SF in June (tentative).  Tentative because my husband was supposed to start working in October and he is still waiting on hospital accreditation, bah!  Once he starts working, I can start planning more, LOL.

Crazysue, nice 6.  Ben & Jerry's?  What flavor?

camille, you look very focused in all the pics.

Linda, hope you have fun with the hills.

Arimathea, nice run this morning.

My allergy shot went well.  Court only lasted until 3 so I got home and napped for 15 minutes.  Man, I needed it.  Ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Julie, enjoy the strength training workout later.  I've always seen that HR recovery number and never thought about it.  If it gets lower it means you're getting healthier, right?

Demaris.... Yes, Heart Rate recovery is a significant indicator of overall fitness.  There are charts and graphs about how quickly your heart rate should recover after near maximum effort.  My heart rate recovers about 40 to 42 beats in the first minute after strong exertion. Here's the basic way to check your recovery rate:

____________________________________________________________________

How to measure your recovery heartrate and what it means: 
            1. Accelerate your heartrate through running, biking, or other method to an anerobic level (a pace you can do for only 20-30 seconds... such as a full sprint) 
            2. Measure the heart rate with a monitor at the end of the sprint. 
            3. Recover for 60 seconds by walking or biking slowly (do not stop moving!) 
            4. Measure the heart rate after 60 seconds and subtract that number from the peak. 

Your Findings: 
            POOR less than 12 Beats Per Minute (BPM) recovery 
            FAIR 12-20 
            Good 20-30 
            Excellent 30-40 
            Over 40 is outstanding. 
            The recovery rate is important because this is a measure of the soundness of our cardiovascular system and not just our heart health. 

A recovery rate of greater than 35 BPM indicates almost no risk of sudden death from heart disease!  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

(I SOOO love reading that last sentence)

Jules

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Hi y'all... back for personals!

Weight training was "okay."  Had to stop earlier than I wanted to.  My ice slip came back to haunt me Sad

And.... you know you're a runner when: It's a strength day and you wistfully look outside fearing that you might be missing the only sunny running day until June!  LOL

Hi Lisa-Marie, Carolyn, Sue

Camille... lol @ "take that hill, ma'am!"  love it.

Marjorie - thanks for locking the other thread.  It's funny, I checked twice before I hit "post" because I'm not usually the first one up!

Karen, Tessa - thanks!  You both make perfect sense.  I understand now.  I guess the larger, competitive marathons have to do all kinds of things to make sure that the registration process is fair.

Linda, did you see what I posted for Damaris about the HR recovery?

Tessa - Quality of life is a HUGE thing for me.  I was a "hefty & healthy" 40 year old (though, not fit).   Based on family hx, I was NOT going to be a healthy and hefty 60 year old.  So, the weight loss and the focus on fitness was the only way for me increase my chances at a higher quality of life.

Tomorrow... another indoor run with RB and maybe a "new recruit!"  (insert evil laugh here) Evil

g'nite

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Docket_Rocket

Julie, thanks for the information.  Mine is between 30-40 but I'll take the actual number tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

Holy crap! Speedwork is hard. 1.5 mile warm up, 12 400s with 400 recovery, then 1.5 mile cool down. 9 miles total. I want to get an idea of my max heart rate, but forgot to wear my HR monitor for my 5K last week. So tonight, I wore my HR monitor, but I forgot to start the Garmin so nothing was recorded! I checked the numbers at the end of a few of the intervals and I'm guessing it's around 170, but I was looking forward to checking out the graph with all the ups and downs......oh well, next time.

Now I am exhausted, and hoping I have the energy to get my butt up for my ice cream in a little bit. I definitely have the calories available.

crazysue, I don't know what it is about Biggest Loser, but I always want ice cream when I watch. And I know I'm not the only one!

Tessa, bummer for your neighbor, but if you break the rules, well, karma I guess. That's the kind of luck I'd have.

Damaris, nice list. I'm planning on Goofy next year. The parents have a timeshare and have taken my neice and nephew to Disney World for several years (they all live in IL). Now  my brother's kid is almost 4 so they have a new kid to take. They are going to get a 4 bedroom condo, and my sister, sister-in-law and I are going to run the half, then I'm going to run the full as well. Should be fun to have a "family" vacation with all the kids (who will be 46, 48 and 50 at the time) and grandkids!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Carol-MCM is an experience, not a race. Truly an EVENT.  I'm glad that it was my slowest marathon; means I took the time to enjoy it. Reading the signs and checking out the different groups of runners (even those inspired by their fallen dogs).  Karen has the logistics down well so you'd do well to accept her offer while she's still there.  Wonderful hostess too.

Camille-you look like your racing.  nice job! Dances with Dirt is in Florida in February. trail race but flat.

Linda-I've used "faster you run, sooner your done" as a mantra many times.  of course both faster and sooner are relative terms.

Damaris-nice lineup!!

Went to gym this morning but cut on back of my ankle opened up and started bleeding.  Opted to do 11 miles on bike instead.

While dd was at basketball practice I did run 6 outside this afternoon though.  Confirmed my suspicisions that runnign outside in early morning would not be good.  Lots of icey patches and in the dark they would be horrible.  We're at that slow melt stage with temps in mid 30's during the day and 20's at night so everything gets glazed.

Back to TM in the morning.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Oops, I forgot the ultra at the end of March.  So one more. Big grin

Night!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Linda

Julie:  Thanks for that info.  That is exactly what i wanted to know!

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Hi ladies.  So much going on here and I can never remember half the things I want to say!

Carol, you asked about MCM and Chicago.  I've done both and agree 100% with Camille's assessment.  Except I had the misfortune of doing Chicago during one of the HOT years (90+).  But then the next year, temps were in the 40s, so you just never know about weather for Chicago.  I've done MCM twice, including last October, and would definitely do it again.  It filled up in under 3 hours last year so will probably be even faster this year.

Damaris, that's a nice race line-up!  I keep forgetting the SF marathon is June this year instead of July like usual (moved due to America's Cup, I think).  What ultra are you doing in March?

Karen, for a sec I didn't realize Jake was your dog and thought you were talking about a person!  Until you mentioned the cone.  Haha I'm quick.

Tessa, yeah that's karma alright with the BQ that can't be used!  I'd be so bummed.  Good thing that will never happen to me given how far I am from a BQ.

CrazySue, I can't keep Ben & Jerry's in the house for that very reason!  It's way too easy to polish off, even without BL on the tube.

Julie and AnonymousG and others that put in tough workouts today... awesome!

Hi to everyone else!  Hope your weeks started off well.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR