Womens Running

Trying Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

Good morning.

Up and did my walk. 1mile.  I do need to get some sort of a plan. The "do what feels comfortable" thing doesn't work. Brain tells me one thing, butt tells me another, knee tells me a third. Any suggestions?

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Lisa maybe write your own?  Take a week and put walk x miles do PT exercises and advance as the week goes. Print it off and put it on the fridge or in your phone etc?

Marjorie

ginnyb

Thank you Lisa for your input on the email.  Glad you laughed because we all did too, what else are we gonna do????  Retirement is sounding better and better.  I am really seriously considering October if the library will still hire me back for 20 hours a week (am I nuts?)

4 miles this morning and I felt great!  Better I have felt in a couple of weeks.  I was speedy too!

GD has softball tournament beginning this evening, so next few nights will be spent at the ballfield.  I really love watching them play.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Marjorie-so 1 to 1.25 miles each day? 2x a day? on same day as leg lift type of exercises or opposite days? This is my dilemma. Sad, but it is mine. Most of the tightness seems to be above my knee where the quad connects to it. I did gently roll the quad and some of the stretches are geared towards loosening up the knee joint so bending knee back gently. Other than that, occasional little localized pain in front, inner knee where it had hurt before and where the doc said they pretty much went in with tools at. (I had mentioned that location to him) I don't want to go too fast but I don't want to go too slow.

Ginny-if you can crunch the numbers and it works than I'd say to go for it. if there is a pension who knows how long it will be there anyway.

Lisa

ginnyb

Yes, I will have a pension...we are under the Ohio employees pension.  You are right, they have already taken away from the pension on some things, who knows what is next, I should get out while the getting is good.  I need to call Columbus and find out exactly what I will get.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Good Morning!  Nice steamy 6 miles this morning.  Got back in time to spray paint another coat on the chrismonds (Christmas ornaments) for VBS tonight.  DS2 was a doll and cut them out for me.  Whew!  I was worried I wouldn't finish in time.  I volunteered for this months ago and of course waited till the last minute to do it.   Done!  Couldn't paint last night--it was raining AGAIN.

Oh yeah---I saw a small red fox this morning on Beach Blvd.  At first I thought it was someone's chiuahua (how DO you spell that?) but then realized it was a fox.  The mockingbirds were dive bombing it out in a vacant lot.

Not much  else going on over here.  Y'all have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 X 400m tonight.  Last night's run went really well, but the temps and the dewpoint were bad.

Lisa, I also need a plan to get me going, so I understand.  Do your own or find one that is good for you.

Marjorie, morning!

Ginny, that email was very unprofessional.  Ugh.  I assume everybody is unhappy and there is no employer loyalty.  Understandable.

Tessa, glad to hear hubby is coming home but hope that helps instead of hurt.  Stay strong.

Sue, nice steamy 6.

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.8 for me. Smelly trash day so yuck. I hate running by all the trash cans on trash day.

Lisa a few miles twice a day is good so maybe 1.5 in am and 1 to 1.5 pm. Plus the PT exercises. The distance pm listen to the knee. If it is cranky do less if feels okay do the 1.5.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Hey all,

I woke up with a headache so slept in. And have been procrastinating ever since. I'm supposed to run 11 today, but since it's getting so late, and tomorrow's weather is supposed to be better, I'm thinking about switching the two days and running tomorrow's 5 today. Ran 12 yesterday.

Tessa, I hope DH coming home doesn't put too much extra stress on you. And I take a little bit of weird pride in being a "certified nut case", so thank you for that!

Ginny, that email yesterday was bad. Wow, she is creating a horrible work environment. And so unprofessional. Are you nuts? Not at all. If I were you I'd do it in a heartbeat and start counting the days. Assuming it works out financially, that is. I'll tell you what's nuts - while I sit here happy in my unemployment, not really motivated to find another job, my friend that was also let go when I was says she's looking hard and "doesn't feel like she's done yet". She turns 65 in December. How can I feel so done at 46, yet she's not at 64?

Carol, I used SmartCoach for some half marathons when I first got into running, I think, but then it started spitting out goofy stuff and I quit. I used Hanson's for NJ and really liked it. The only problem I had with it is they don't like you racing during training. They tell you what to do with the training if you do have a race, but I don't think it was made with the intent of doing many races. I guess most plans are that way though, and I'm just the weirdo that has trouble limiting racing. The other problem was the 6 day a week running, which made it hard to get any time in on the bike. I actually liked running 6 days a week, but felt guilty my bike was sitting unused. So with your tri stuff, that might be an issue as well. Have you looked at all at the FIRST plan, which I think does less running and more XT? I've also used Higdon's Intermediate plans, and they work pretty well. I don't really like his beginner plans, but the intermediate and advanced are okay. How helpful of me to throw even more into the mix....sorry!

Marjorie, we have a crazy neighbor like that, but he truly is crazy. When he goes off his meds, he does things like break into our locked fence and hang out in our backyard, or on the neighbors deck so the dogs inside go crazy, or just lays down in the middle of the street. He walked up into our garage a couple years ago when DH was working on his car. He also just stood on our front step with the dog going crazy one night. That time DH got out the shotgun and showed it to him and told him he needed to stop, or he was going to get hurt. Cops and homeowner's association have been called by others, and then they get him back on his meds and we don't see him until the next episode. Sounds like your crazy is a little higher functioning though, enough to be confrontational and belligerent - scary!

Lisa, wish I could help. I tried googling but no one seems to want to give out a plan. Maybe search here and runners world forums health/injury forums for other people that went through the same thing and see what they did.

crazysue, good of you to volunteer. I loved VBS as a kid.

Morning D, seems like your training is going pretty well this time around.

Okay, off to run, then finish cleaning the baseboards/trim (yes, I'm STILL doing that, it's a big house!). Goal is to get it all painted/touched up this week. Then next week it can continue drying while I go to IL to visit the family, then stop in TN to run a marathon on the way home. Then the following week I should be able to tape it and paint the walls.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Karen yes he is higher functioning.  Still scary.  Hope the Headache goes away

So since I wasn't listed by Tessa as a nut case person I must be something beyond that?  Won't say how many 20 mile + runs I've done so far this year.....whistles........Or I'm just normal .......Yep, that is it.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, yes, you are normal. Compared to those who do 50 milers in loads of poison ivy or whilst dodging unfriendly pit vipers, I mean.

But if you wish to be counted among the nutcases, so be it!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I'd do 50 milers if my stomach cooperated and I wouldn't get hurt on the trails with my clumsy self.......I'll take that I'm kinda normal.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, I went back and read that. The first part was fine, the PS was ridiculous. Sounds like she's protesting too much. Or maybe she is fed up with one particular person if you have a Dismal Diane (my coworker) who takes everything as an excuse to worry and obsess and vent to others.

Check your options.

Karen, some people feel like they're done earlier than others. Especially if they don't have other interests. Or it may be that your friend isn't in a similar place financially. Isn't now about the time RRCA closed their posting and starts looking at the responses?

Lisa, the knee is still puffy? It's been just over 2 weeks, right? I would walk a bit longer each day, and maybe next week start a run/walk -- run one lamp post, walk one lamp post. (It was at this point that some guy stuck his head out of his car window and chided me for walking so much, until I informed him that I had had knee surgery a few weeks prior and he was suitably chagrined.) What does the PT say?

If you can't find a plan online, and you may not since that would be a liability that many people would not want to touch, then maybe C25K?

Susan, those VBS ornaments sound cute. And it's Chihuahua.  Chi - hua - hua. Similar to Mi-ssi-ssi-ppi. Though "ratty annoying little rodentlike dog" works well too.

Marjorie, KWYM about stinky trash cans. Those are even worse than running by houses that are doing laundry and you can smell the soap.

Hi Damaris and others to follow.

DH came home late last night. He slept in the recliner. I brought him home, installed him, and took the fistful of prescriptions and went out to drop them off at Walgreens. Then once he was tucked in I collapsed. DH complained bitterly becauase both DS and I went to sleep and he was calling for help and nobody came. (Got news for you, buddy. They discharged you so they don't think that you need a call button, and I am not installing one!) He managed to deal with the problem himself. (I had left a urinal within reach.) I felt much better after 4 hours of sleep. 4.25 with RN this morning, picked up all DH's prescriptions, came home, sorted out pills for today, then left him in DS's reluctant care and I'm at work. I have class tonight. I am probably going to take tomorrow as a work from home day. Now I'm waiting for home health to call me back after they get the paperwork from the discharge planner. At the very least DH is going to need blood pressure and blood sugar checks and help showering even with a shower chair.

Oh, and just to top it all off, the doctor had the hospital biopsy a suspicious lesion on his nose while he was in the hospital. Biopsy came back. Basosquamous carcinoma. Fortunately he has a dermatologist appointment next Monday, but he has let this lesion go WAY too long.

Tessa--I like the smell of laundry soap as I run by.  Better than trash day--blech.

I missed something---is DH completely non-ambulatory?  I hope DS survives the day.  Hey, at least the lesion got checked while he was there.

Smile

Arimathea

Tessa

Ambulatory with a walker. He's also lost a lot of what little muscle tone he had, so he is having difficulty standing and getting up from a chair.

However, Aetna thought he was ready to go home and didn't need to go to a rehab facility.

And he aready had the appointment  with the dermatologist, but now the biopsy is already done.