Womens Running

Weekends in Hell (over 40) (Read 21 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Well, for Lisa.....good luck on the run

Rest day for me. Class again. I was just too tired to run at 4

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Just got on the train to New York for our quick weekend of fun. DH is coming down with a cold, but other than that we're both ready for fun. And lots of walking. I'd love to run in Central Park, but will just be doing a bunch of walking.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 and weights tonight.

Marjorie, enjoy the rest.

Karen, have fun in NYC.

Lisa, enjoy the DWD.

Hello to all ladies!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good morning to all!  Planning onto run 10-ish with DH this morning.  Then a visit to the farmers' market to see a friend who is in town selling cheese that she makes in Oregon.

Lisa, have fun at DWD!

Happy birthday Damaris!

Marjorie, enjoy the class and rest day.

Karen, your weekend in NYC sounds like so much fun!

Hello to everyone else.  Have a great weekend!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

camille2

Good afternoon!

Karen, I hope you're having a great time and love Book of Mormon.

Demaris, I hope you're having a great birthday!

Tessa, thanks  so much for the Weight Watcher info.  I  stopped by their office after their meeting yesterday a.m and she said I have to wait until Oct 10 for LT.  I'll be in Ga and will have different scales (home and there) so I'll just have to hope I can stay in the range.  BTW...you have my sympathy on getting less activity points on that race after you turned 50.   It seems we don't get to eat much as we age.

Marjorie, I hope it's a good class. When do you head home?

Gatsby and Carol, good luck on the new jobs!

Carol, isn't your Grand Canyon trip in another week? I can't wait to see pics.

Lisa, I hope you're having a great time in Hell.  No Ginny this time?

Shadow, good luck!

I did 9.78  on the Chester Creek /Coastal Trails.  I kept w/u and c/d separate or would have done that extra .22. It was a nice fall day and this week, the miles have felt good.

Yesterday, I went to the LRS for their fall clearance sale. I bought 2 pairs of shoes (they also have regular shoes) and a pair of hiking capris.  The shoes didn't work at home so I returned them later. When he told me the credit amount, I noticed it was the same total I'd paid for everything earlier in morning so I looked closely at receipts and noticed the capris weren't on the original. I told him I'd bought them, but hadn't been charged. He said, "You got a great deal on them then."  I said, "Really?" He said, "Don't worry about it. Keep them."  How about that?

Bikerchick1

Marjorie- if you were talking 4 am...no wonder you were too tired.  Enjoy your rest day.

gatsbybird - enjoy the run with DH!  Good luck on the new job!!

karen - Hope you are having a great time!

damarias - is it your birthday???  If so, have a great one!

camille - that was really nice of the stor about the capris!  Good customer service, I would say.

no running for me today, spent the day with both DD's.  Was fun!  Started packing for Grand Canyon run...yikes!!!!!  Will run tomorrow.

carol

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for the birthday wishes, ladies!  I did the 6 with hubby but decided to exchange weights for a martini.  After all, it's peak week # 1 and I have 20 miles tomorrow so the weights can wait.

Marjorie, I am seriously considering switching to three Pilates classes a week and leaving all weights behind.  Maybe after Chicago so that I can lower my miles or do doubles and accommodate that.  I know you do once a week, but do you think three times a week would be good?  I have been able to manage running even after two classes a week so I just need to find the time.

Gatsby, hmmm, cheese.  Enjoy the 10 and the cheese.  BTW, hubby and I signed up for SF next year.  Maybe third time's the charm at a meeting?  We must!

Camille, nice almost 10!  Great job on the trails.

Carol, enjoy the Grand Canyon!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

Well, wiser heads prevailed and I did not attempt 17 miles yesterday. My RB told her husband (also a runner, so not prone to a "just stop running" response) that my shin splints were acting up but I was still going to try to run 17, and his response was, "that's crazy!" I knew it, of course, I just needed someone to point it out. So I'm going to stay off them for a couple of days and see how it goes. I figure it's still early enough that I can recover from the time off. I'm just so aggravated that I allowed it to happen. I find it especially galling that it gives my non-running friends who didn't think I should attempt a marathon the license to say "See? Told you so!"

Anyway, I did 65 minutes on the elliptical this morning.

Lisa - I hope your time in Hell is going well!

Karen - enjoy the trip to NYC. DH and I want to take the boys there. We go to upstate NY every summer to see my family, but we haven't been to the city since before DS1 was born.

Camille - nice score on the capris! I need to get some new tanks - mine are permanently smelly.

Marjorie - sounds like a rest day was in order. I was pretty beat today - DS3 has a bit of a croupy cough and I had him sleep with me last night. He is not a restful companion!

Damaris - happy birthday! Definitely a martini rather than weights.

Gatsby - hope you enjoyed the farmers market. We run past one many Saturdays and I keep meaning to go back and shop.

Carol - when do you leave? You must be so excited!

Off to bed.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Ran 11.1. We are on the way home now. Dh is driving.

Class was good. I have definitive answer for my hip issues. Now I just need to fully fix it to keep it away. It it is actually steaming from dysfunction in my ankle. It will take me a bit to get the ankle in line but I can do it.  The class was all about functional movement patterns. I stayed after yesterday so the instructors could fully evaluate.  From the labs I knew there were some issues. We all have them. But I can now keep it from popping back up.

Carol oh i do 4 am frequently. But sometimes it catches up

Camille that was a good deal.

Damaris it won't hurt you. I don't think you need to do 3 days. You can but it is a bit much.

Cindy hope the shins are better

Marjorie

Good morning!  Enjoying some strawberries that I bought at the farmers' market yesterday.   The cheese was consumed yesterday.  Did 10.3 yesterday with DH, planning on a short run today.  Plus a trip to the grocery store and chores around the house.

Camille, your experience with your LRS shows why it's great to have them (and support them if possible).

Carol, so exciting that your GC trip is nearly here!

Damaris, haha on trading the weights for a martini yesterday.   Good call!

Cindy, good that you're listening to your body and letting the shin splints heal (and try not to listen to the negative nellies who aren't being supportive).

Marjorie, hooray for finding an answer to the hip issues.

Lisa, fun time at DWD yesterday?  Shadow, did you have a HM or is that another weekend?

Waves to everyone else.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  20 miles today and the weather was between 80-85F so it was not horrid and my paces showed the 20F cooler.  Very happy with how the run went.  I have used the Cliftons now for an 18 miler, a 20 miler, and two MP workouts.  I think it will be my Chicago shoe.  Now I just have to find an outfit that matches (because my head would explode if I do not).  ha.

Cindy, sorry about the shin splints.  Hubby has them on and off so I understand.  Did you ever see the shin splint routine that was around in RWOL years ago?  I have the Word document for it, so if you PM me your address, I'll send the exercises to you.  Good luck!

Marjorie, nice 11.  Glad to hear you are on your way back.  As to the Pilates classes, I know they might be a bit too much but I am still doing two days of weights, plus two of Pilates so I wonder if three Pilates and no weights might work better for me.

Gatsby, yum at the strawberries (and the cheese, of course).

Have a great afternoon!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

camille2

Marjorie, I'm glad you figured out your problem.

Cindy, it sounds like you got good advice.  Do be careful about resuming running until they're OK.  Is you DS better?

DR, I'm glad you had a nice birthday.

Gatsby, this really is a nice running store, esp. since they have other decent shoes. Skinny Raven's.

It's pretty nice again today (not raining), so I'm going for an easy 3-4 and maybe a bike ride.

Question for you guys-I have a little fat roll on my abdomen. I hate it and thought it would go away when I lost weight, but it didn't!  I'm a little below the mid point of recommended range for the height/weight chart.   Do you think more core work will do it or do I have to lose more fat/weight?

Will have to write DWD report later but was a good time and suffice to say that the RD had some bonus sections as it was the 20th anniversary.

Damaris- happy birthday!

ginny- congrats on another half well run and done.

Karen- Central Park is amazing walking or running!

cindy- glad that you didn't push the shin splints. Nothing good to add buts lots to take away by doin the run.

Hi to all!  On phone so hard to respond to all. Will try to get back later.  Taking dd to bookstore after her soccer game.

Lisa

ginnyb

i will do a RR later.  It was a good race and I was doing really well and then I was plagued with the calf cramps again!  Miles 10-13 I pretty much walked.  I could have run, my legs were not tired, but everytime I would attempt to run I could feel the right calf starting to cramp and I just didn't want to go through all that cramping yet again!   I did run down the shoot to the finish but I was kind of hopping, cause of the right calf.  Darn this makes me mad, I don't know what else to do to prevent this from happening.  Yes, Lisa, I drank gatorade the whole way, took my GU every hour and another snack every half hour.  The weather was not overly warm....don't know what the problem is..  finished last in AG of course, but I did finish, a little discouraged.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Camille you can't spot reduce so core won't make you lose that area.

Marjorie