Womens Running

(Over 40) Onward To Tuesday (Read 226 times)

camille2

Tessa, buy one if DH hasn't decided and it wouldn't be comfortable for him. That way son will feel supported.   Being alone at Disney wouldn't be so bad-lots of good people watching, I'd guess.

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Hello Ladies! 

Yesterday was final exam day for my students, so I missed checking in!   Today is a WT day - always look forward to pumping some iron!  I am now, officially, signed up for the Frostbite 5K on NYE.  You know, I used to think that those people were nuts.  

Marjoire - I just ADORE the pics your guys!  It makes me just want to hug them and peench their jowls!  I also appreciate that you stick to your training routine with them.  Bassets aren't the easiest to train.  It sounds like you're doing great!  

Camille - I'm really hoping for some great weather in GA.  I have been scoping out 3 or 4 mile runs on the golf cart paths in Peachtree City.  I have been getting up my nerve to try "no turning back" longer runs.  

Sue - I'll take 40, right now!  It's spittin' snow and windy outside.  I'm SO looking forward to Georgia.  Highs in the 50's & 60's sound like a little piece of heaven to me!  

Ginny - I'm with you.  I'd much rather be cold than wet and cool.  Wet and wind are definitely not my friends. My body temperature never really regulated after my weight loss... and once I'm cold, I'm done for! 

Carolyn - excellent teaching opportunity about new things in a race!  Thanks.  No New Gu (holder).    Smile

Tessa - ROFL - ambulatory Christmas Tree!  Share pictures of the choir, okay?  Wink

YAY for the runs!   

OH... I almost forgot.   Here's our 3rd place gingerbread house.  Notice the pretzel bag in the background... haha.  It just proves that everything visible is edible, as the rules state.      The name of our theme is "LEAF Supports Healthy Families" 

OH, and the ladder up to tree house has "12 steps!"

Gingerbread entry

Be well!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Anonymous Guest

Well, MIL doesn't want to come for Christmas. DH was disappointed. I told him maybe she'd want to come in the spring or summer. Honestly, I don't mind having her around, I just didn't want it sprung on me when I was looking forward to some me time. So it all works out - for me at least. DH's uncles have places down in Florida and she is going down there for awhile after Christmas. Thinking maybe go down and visit her there in January. Nothing against Ohio, ladies from there, but in January or February, I'd rather go to Florida!

Planning to run after work. I am in the absolute worst mood, so hopefully it will make me feel better. Not going to vent about work, let's just say there are people here trying my patience. Will try to get on after running and dinner for personals. 

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

http://www.freep.com/article/20121209/FEATURES05/312090066/Working-to-avoid-misery-is-exactly-what-makes-us-miserable-author-says

funny on the suggestion of giving DH the Happiness Project book.  I did read about this new "happiness" book and found it interesting.  "The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking," 

Burkeman heads off in search of what he calls a "negative path to happiness" where a "backwards law" prevails.

Accept the idea that you will inevitably die. Learn to celebrate your failures. See the wisdom in your pessimistic thoughts. Burkeman writes that "the effort to try and feel happy is often precisely the thing that makes us miserable." He argues that "it is our constant efforts to eliminate the negative -- insecurity, uncertainty, failure or sadness -- that is what causes us to feel so insecure, anxious, uncertain or unhappy." 

Instead of thinking about success so much, Burkeman writes, consider the nirvana one reaches in failure. In failure our ambitions are stripped away, and we see who we really are. We learn that failing miserably usually isn't the disaster we imagine it to be.

I find this interesting because I think that as runners, or anyone who puts themselves out there and open for "failure" time and time again, we find the value in learning from our "failures" and go on.  Especially as we embrace the longer distances or greater efforts, we openly face insecurity, anxiety, uncertainty, failure and sadness routinely.

Lisa

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, glad you dodged that bullet. Hope you feel better after a run.

Lisa, thanks for sharing! You're right, runners do need to learn to deal with disappointment, struggle, things not working out as we wish, and also that we are responsible for our happiness. We need to get our butts out there and run in order to be well trained to race!

Julie, that is a magnificent gingerbread tree house.

Bikerchick1

Camille - I could tell you were a "nerdy cardiac" nurse just by your descriptions and of course "Bruce Protocol" was a giveaway Smile   Sometimes that isn't always helpful when you are the pt....this summer  I experienced, what I knew were runs of bigeminy....I could just "picture" the EKG screen while I was sitting there.....AGH!  That got my tail into the dr.  Funny thing I never have any sympoms when running....when I had stress Echo, the faster my HR was, the more regular the rhythm.  Are you on any meds?

LisaMMR - Sorry about the Debbie Downer DH....my DH is a half-empty kinda guy too....drives me CRAZY.  I agree that you would have thought he would have been thrilled about the bonus!  If you are interested in Hatfield-McCoy...let's do it!  We could drive together - share expenses, would be great fun!!!  I'm serious!

Went and did Planet Fitness yesterday afternnon, went through their 30" circuit of weights.  My arms are a little sore today.

Had a very sad day yesterday, Had to put our 14 year old Cairn terrier to sleep....she has been so sick lately, went into kidney failure and chronic back problems, she was falling all the time.  I had been up most of Sunday night with her vomiting....and she was just miserable.....I certainly miss her sweet little face, but am so glad that she isn't suffering anymore........

On a running front... I did run 6.2 miles this morning.  Crystal clear skies which in Michigan in December means cold. Fairly sucky run but sucked it up and did it.  Good thing since we had our progressive potluck at work today. 

Was fun though!

I did bring this up with DH again tonight about how surprised I was by his response.  He again said that yes it was better than nothing.  I demonstrated the vast amount of room between 0 and $1600.  that a $20 gift card to a grocery store was better than nothing.  He said of course that would be better than nothing.. especially since last week I had said I wasn't sure what if any there would be in bonus.  I guess I forget that the subtleties of language are sometimes lost on him.  I have been working on him for years to stop saying something "isn't too bad" when he tries it. 

Moving on....

JUlie-very cool gingerbread..and pretzel.. house!!

Karen-Florida in Jan/Feb is understandable... just like Wisconsin in July is.  Katie (from FB) is doing the 50k along with Dave and hopefully me.  Katie's guy Thom is doing the 50. He's fast so would be nice for you to have a fast person to run with.  He lives around there so knows the trails pretty well.

Tessa-yes, I am working on Karen for Devil's Lake 50k.  13 hour time limit.  My 2 run buddies from here are running it. Hmmm... wasn't I just speaking about how we look failure in the face...

Carol-so sorry to hear about your dog.  Hugs.

Lisa