Womens Running

Tuesday Remembrance (Over 40) (Read 24 times)

So many friends have gone before us. Karnel one of them. Lets remember them today.

Lisa

Nice job Julie! I'd make the suggestion on their FB page to offer alternatives for beverages. Most likely is taht the poeple you spoke with didn't know where it was. Volunteers often don't have any clue beyond their small scope ... or some employees.  Sounds fun.

Sue-I think the marmalade marathon should be your amazing event.

Lisa

camille2

Good morning! Just a quick note...busy day ahead. My plan just called for 4 yesterday-a nice surprise. Speedwork todayon  the gym's treadmill.

Julie, nice pics!  Congrats!  I agree the company should have something else to drink.  In addition to folks recovering, some of us simply don't like the taste of beer.

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good morning early birds!

No run yesterday - needed to recoup from Warrior Dash and travel.   Today, I see the Chiro for him to put Humpty Dumpty together again, and then an indoor run with RB #2.  I'm hoping for 4+ miles on my way to a 10K.

Lisa - funny enough, I decided to send a lighthearted note to them through their "contact us" link on their web site.   I got an almost immediate response.  It was pleasant, personalized and let me know that they're aware of the need to provide an alternative.   I was pleasantly surprised.

Camille - I did mention that there were other reasons to offer an alternative.  I tried to keep it lighthearted so that it wouldn't come across all high and mighty... lol

LC - thanks!  It was a blast.

Y'all have a GREAT day.

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Bikerchick1

Morning Ladies,

Had a rest day yesterday - that is from running....Aly spent the night for Super bowl...we had our own little party. We baked some cookies so she could decorate them and take to daycare....she is so dang funny...she tells me "I don't think the other kids will think they are beautiful"!   You never know what she is going to come up with!

Off to work, not sure what I will squeeze in tonight...maybe a TM run.  I'm using Marjorie's last year plan of just running - no plan Smile   Other than than our week-end formal run rotation 6/8/10/12  I am trying to mix it up some.   I do need to get a plan going for H&M...

LisaMMR - I saw Karnel's mother note on FB re: her b'day....I am sure they are enjoying seeing the information from the event....

Julie - Good luck with getting humpty put together again Wink

Camille - What are you training for?

Marjorie - Great job on your pictures from Karnel's event!

Off to work.

Carol

camille2

Just a quick question-what is the correct site for Karnel's event?  I have  this one http://karnelsamazingevent.blogspot.com/ but there are no pics there and no comments.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Camille I can't post links here using this browser but it is Karnels Amazing Event on fb.  Maybe someone will post the link.

I saw her mom posted on some of our runs too.  That was nice.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Morning all,

Julie, great RR yesterday! Sounds like you and your friend had a great time.

So the RD for Mount Mitchell posted some pictures from the trails taken this last week on facebook here. I guess I better get past my wimpy cold weather/ice/snow issues fast. And let's all pray for a 2.5 week heat wave to hit North Carolina and melt some of this crap before I get there!

camille, here is a link to the event page on facebook: Linky

Laura, from last night I think you asked where I was going this week. Scottsdale, AZ. It's not Maui like a couple years ago, but it will do. We apparently only do Hawaii every five years. The nice thing about our annual and midyear meetings is that a lot of our members are quite wealthy and expect nice, resort-type places for the meetings. This one is at The Phoenician, which looks pretty darn nice online. DH loves our annual meeting - a free place to stay in a warm climate in Jan/Feb, where I am busy so he is free to ride his bike all day.

Gotta get a few things done this morning. Back later for more personals.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Good Morning!

Decided to sleep in this morning.  Swim class this afternoon.  Two-a-day workouts are tough.  Decided to back off and try to avoid burn out.  Think I will run a few miles on the treadmills if I get there in time.  Have a meeting right after swim.  Every group I belong to has a meeting this week.  Meeting every night through Saturday!   I really just want to curl up in the happy chair in my jammies and knit.

Work is CRAZY busy.  I have a report due Friday and am really just getting started.  Just got the rest of the info last Friday.  Determined to have it done by Friday, since I have to attend training with my boss next week in California.  Tessa and Linda-- are you near Long Beach?  I think you are north of there.  Not real sure.

Julie--awesome RR!!  You rock!!

Have a great day everyone!

Karen-looks like a pretty run.

Pic above was the one I took on saturday of the tree I mentioned climbing over a few weekends ago.  Climbed over it again last weekend. Will be climbing over it again a couple of times on Saturday.  Although since we're getting more snow it might make it easier to get over.  I kind of have to jump up a bit to sit on it then swing legs over.  A tad blurry since I thought maybe keeping phone in ziploc baggie would help protect it from single digits. guess it worked since the phone still does.

I'm thinking that one of my mantras will come in handy for you...  Either the poetic "I have never yet. A single run met. Which I've regret."  but more likely the unpoetic yet effective "Suck it up buttercup."  Yup. I love my running in the snow.  Really.

Major tip:  Wear fleece OVER your fluids.  Do NOT use a handheld.  Trust me.. I'm basing this upon the folly of others, not myself. Wearing a backpack outside of top layer... the hose WILL freeze. Water freezes easier than Gatorade. I would encourage the use of a Nathan backpack over bottles. You're not going to be wanting to have to open and close them after awhile.

Others... Carry chapstick somewhere accessible but not where it will freeze. If you see a porta potty use it. Not likely you'll be wanting to step off trail to go behind a tree. Double layer socks (if you don't have Smartwool yet, buy some). If you don't have a balaclava or buff yet, buy one. Keep Gu close to body so that it doesn't freeze. (this is sad that I have learned all of these the hard way.)

Heat wave to melt the snowpack??? No no no.  That means slush and you do not want to be running on a crust of snow covering a foot of slush.  Or if it melts then refreezes and snows on top the joy of running on icy ruts covered by thin layer of snow.  Not bad for 10 miles or so but even I ditched the trails last weekend for risk of slipping on the snow covered paved path.  Luge run does not equal fun.

On the other hand.... if you have solid snow. Hang back.  let others pack it down.  Packed snow is heavenly to run on.  Loose powdery snow freezes your feet after awhile. Let the macho guys pack it down for you. I've been first on the trails. Feet freeze. Later on though they're great with numerous footprints to aim for.

So... who wants to come and run trails with me this weekend??? in the snow??? really, it is fun.

Lisa

And on a much less winter beast note... I ran 6.5 miles on a treadmill this morning.  One pair of socks, one pair of shorts, one tank top.  Instead of running in a buff, felt like I was running in the the buff. LOL  (A buff is a tube-like garment that you wear around your neck and can pull up or down to cover your mouth/nose/ears. In case you were wondering.)

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.7 miles for me.  Added some extra because I have an early flight tomorrow so I needed to get some extra stuff in there as I doubt I'll do my normal run and get to the airport for a 7 am flight tomorrow.

Julie love the RR.  Agree on alternative things to drink!

Carol that is so cute what Aly said about the cookies!

Karen thanks for posting the link!

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Susan -- I work about 12 miles north of Long Beach. Want to get together if you're free? Run and/or dinner? I could take the Blue Line down to Long Beach on Monday after work, or Tuesday if that class doesn't go forward which it doesn't look like it will. Wednesday and Thursday I have classes. When do you arrive and when do you leave? If you (and boss if s/he wants) would rather come up to downtown, the Blue Line train runs from Long Beach all the way up to its terminus a block from my office. Warning: it can get a bit gritty after dark and goes through some of Los Angeles' less salubrious neighbourhoods. While I wouldn't worry about coming up here after the conference is over for the day, and I don't have a problem taking the train back up if we decide to meet down in LB, if you come up here I would suggest you might want to take a taxi back to LB afterwards. You have my email, right? Firstnamelastname at sbcglobal dot net. Linda is about 150 miles north. If someone who uses Facebook would be so good as to post my race report from Calico on Karnel's page, I would greatly appreciate it. Julie, glad you spoke up. Many people don't drink and/or don't like beer. It would be nice if they offered a nonalcoholic alternative. Carol, tell Aly the other kids are unlikely to turn down cookies because they are not beautiful. They are cookies. That's enough! Karen, Scottsdale is a bit far for me to get to, but enjoy! I think I've seen that resort before, go out for a run or two -- I remember seeing a road runner on one of the trails near the resort. Lisa, have you considered going out to that tree with a chain saw? Or we ARE the Axe Murderers, you could put the axe to good use clearing that trail... And the blurry photo? That's a planned special effect, right? Of course it is. I think you're supposed to keep fluids inside a layer or two if they will freeze exposed to outside air, yes. 4 with running neighbour this morning. I presented her with a token gift -- literally -- a token for the Boston T! Yes I know MBTA doesn't take them anymore, but still, it's symbolic. She BQed on Sunday at Surf City. She's happy! Her DH had intended to run with us then he said he'd catch us up, we got all the way to the turnaround and were coming back when we saw him. He'd brought both the dogs (labs). I think at least one motorist thought "OMG, there is a man with two dogs chasing those two women running!" Dogs were a little surprised at the unusual predawn outing but they seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially when we passed a rabbit warren on the way back. Question -- why can't I make paragraphs? What am I doing wrong? I hit "enter" twice...
                            ginnyb

Lisa....or my tip for running in the winter....DON'T!!!   Yep, officially in my slump, I don't even want to go out to drive to the gym in the morning...darn snow, darn cold, darn darkness.  This is my evil twin who shows up every year about this time, we don't like her!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Ginny-I think you need a planned half in NYC to get you out of that slump.  Or a Fat Ass in Michigan. LOL  I'd love to get you out on the trails sometime yet.  Snow running has the advantage of eliminating rocks, roots, and errant nail heads sticking up from bridges.

Tessa-talking fast, aren't we?

Lisa