Womens Running

Monday, Monday (dailies) (Read 23 times)

ginnyb

My weekend did not start on the best note.  I left the house happily picking up my Diet Coke at McDonalds and put Lisa's address into my phone for navigation and discovered that my phone was not talking to me, it would find the map , but not give me the directions , which was fine until I got close to Lisas because I have never been to her new place.  I called Lisa ( I know I sounded hysterical Lisa, I apologize)  and she talked me through it until saw her standing in her driveway!  I am a good driver and I like to drive, but I do not do well driving alone when I don't know where I am going in unfamiliar places.  Anyway, we didn't waste any time, packed all of Lisa's gear for her 100K into my car and left for the airport to pick up Kat.  Only about a 10 minute drive from Lisas' and we pulled up almost as Kat was walking out!  Took off to Lisa's DC house where would be for the race duration as he is only like a 15 minute drive to the course.  Ordered pizza on the way, picked pizza up from Jets Pizza and drove on to our home for the weekend.  Pizza was delicious!  We didn't have a lot of time before the 100KR'S were supposed to be at the site, so Lisa gathered up the rest of her gear and we took off again to settle her in.  It was a beautiful day , we parked , got her gear from the back and walked into where the action was.  Oh, I forgot, Kat changed into her 60's outfit before we left and looked very groovy.  I thin she posted a pic on FB.  Anyway we first picked up out packets, then stowed Lisa's drop boxes and just walked around for a while.  Two of Lisa's friends had a campsite there for the weekend so we had a place to land.  Lisa discovered that her bladder was leaking, not literally, at least I don't think so, but her hydration vests bladder hose tip was broken, so we got back in the car to the house and she swiped her DC's bladder and hose , then we went back to woodstock.  Lisa was just a tad nervous , cant imagine why only going to run 63 or was it 62 miles, which I can't even fathom!  Lisa's take off time was 4 and her DC arrived in time to see her off.  That National Anthem was played in rather a strange rendition, and they were off, again i can't imagine contemplating running that far!  We stayed around the camp for a while indulging in adult beverages for a bit, not being much of a drinker I only had a hard cider, but it was delicious.  Lisa's race was ran in 4, 151/2 mile loops I believe,  we wanted to get back to the camp to see her come in after her first loop, so we left to get something to eat so we could return.  DC made us a delicious pasta dish, his home is beautiful in a spectacular wooded area...very quiet, peaceful.  Before we knew it it was time to go back and cheer Lisa on.  She came in right on schedule and looked great, she put put warmer clothes on, ate some and was off again!  We didn't stay after that, had to pick up a few things at the grocery store and went back to house.  It was an early night as we had to be back around 6:30 a.m. for our part of the race.

Slept wonderfully, got up around 5 or 5:30, had our bagels and took off again.  Perfect day for running, cloudy and, at this time it was in the 50's, a little chilly and I know Kat was cold, but it wasn't bad.  DC had been getting updates from Lisa and she was starting her 4th and final loop just around 5 if I remember correctly, we did not get to see her again.  We heard the strange National Anthem again and then we were off too!  Kat and I were a pretty perfect match running wise, knowing we were going to talk a lot of walk breaks!  The first 4? miles were on a gravel or dirt road straightaway out and back to the turnoff into the woods, which I found to be almost the most difficult part of the race, it takes me so long to warm up anymore and straight sections are always boring, even though I had someone to talk with.  We ran past where we saw where we would go into the woods after the turnaround, we realized that the front runners, who we had seen before this point had missed the turn off and by quite a lot.  We figured they were really ticked when they discovered their mistake!  See the advantages of being slow?  You notice things like that!  I have to admit I wasn't doing all that well and I almost, almost was going to tell Kat I was just going to head back to the start and not do the rest, although I know she wouldn't have let me do that!  For whatever reason, when we entered the woods I was energized, it was so weird, even though it was a single trail I was able to pick up my pace ( we still only ran a little, walked a little, but I just felt I was moving better)  I ended up leading, not the race, just with Kat and I, which is an unusual place for me to be in, I am usually the follower especially when I don't know where I am going.  We were back of the packers, of course, so there weren't any racers around us, except for probably 100 milers and 100 K's, marathoners who would come up behind and we would stop to let pass.  We passed a few too though didn't we Kat?  It is a beautiful trail, single track the whole thing, The trail was very soft, not muddy, just nice and soft and almost springy if you know what I mean.  There was one very long, very steep hill, there were lots of hills, but this one was the worst, we walked it of course, but with a purpose, not dragging!  I think we might have even passed someone on the way up, but I am probably wrong on that one.  Walked all the uphills and tried to take advantage of the downhills when they weren't too steep.  A few downed trees that we had to hurdle, which was one of the hardest parts for me to lift my leg up and over, but we did so without incident!  I really did feel good through most of the race, a few times I felt a bit sick to my stomach and had to pause, but I never got sick, Kat was very encouraging , so nice to have a partner!  At one point getting towards the end , kat looked at her watch and said we had less than a mile!  I felt great and was excited!  The excitement quickly passed when that mile went on and on and on.......several times I said I can't do another mile, Kat saying you have no choice!!  Her watch was off obviously.  We did have one woman who was even slower than we were and she would not let us pass!  It was very irritating, although towards the end she did stay ahead with a bit of distance, she was a marathoner we think.  Anyway, I got a few more bursts of energy during that last mile I think and we finally came out of the woods and could see the finish and we did run to the finish!  Finished in 4:01 I think, one minute faster than I ran it 4 years ago!  I really thought we were way over 4, but we werent!  We did it and, for the most past, it was fun and a good time!  I'm sure Kat will add some things, but that's my RR!

Bad part was we missed Lisa coming in!  She was amazing, I still don’t know how she does it!  What a woman!  Privileged to call her my friend.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

13.2 for me. Abs class tonight.

AWESOME run this morning! I felt well rested and the run felt effortless. I could have gone for a few more hours Smile I am sure the temp had something to do with it - temp was around 69 with dewpoint at 67. I will take it! Felt awesome. I was doing my best to soak it all in because we are back to hot and humid beginning tomorrow. We also have some tropical dewpoints coming with Florence barreling towards us!

Speaking of Florence..I have tons of anxiety this week about this storm. About running in it, about traveling in it, and about leaving Ruger behind when we leave! Of course the weather people scare the shit out of you. Its looking like thankfully, its going a little north of Hilton Head. They will obviously get heavy rains and winds, but not as bad as they thought a few days ago. Richmond, however, is right on target. We are a little worried about traveling on Saturday..but I guess we will just wait and see. I heard the news guy say that Richmond will be putting the flood walls up downtown. That hasn't happened in over 10 years!

We are supposed to start getting strong winds and rain on Thursday night. So..I am planning on 4 days in a row with long run Thursday. Makes me nervous..but I did it on a peak week a few weeks ago..so hoping all goes well this time around.

Not much else from me. We Virginians are in prep mode! I hope this stupid meeting gets rescheduled because of it! Those people will be stuck here!

Karen – Nice 12 yesterday!! Whats your rule on thunderstorms? Do you run when you still hear thunder? Awww, glad that Riley and Huck are getting along!

Docket – Nice miles yesterday

Ginny – Aw Ginny!! Congratulations!! I am glad that Kathryn was there with you to be your partner! Smile You did such an awesome job! I hope that gave you some confidence Smile Have you ran that race before?? I wonder why you felt sick? Did you have any snacks?? Did you stay an extra day to do some site seeing? Sorry so many questions! Smile

Lisa – Congratulations, again. Your DC sounds amazing!! He can cook!?!

Sandy - Thought of you this morning. When I went downstairs to get ready to leave for my run, there was a huge bowl in the sink. I knew exactly what HCF was eating at 1am! POPCORN!! Hope you had a good weekend! Smile

Karen 2 - I need some free coaching advice. LOL Smile If WORST case I can't get the last long run in...does it matter? I have done 3 20+ runs and kept up with mileage pretty good. I could add in more speed workouts maybe? We all know I am stubborn as hell so I am going to try my best to get it in (thats what she said) on Thursday..but I am just thinking worst case.

Happy Monday!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Happy Monday!!! Vacay day for me so I get to play here a bit!

Skimmed through the last couple of days and all I can remember are PUPPY PICS. Sorry ladies but you understand. PUPPY!!! CUTE PUPPY!

Carol-Congrats on the half!

Ginny-awesome RR! You are very strong and that's why you do well on the trails. They take strength in more than just the legs so makes sense that you were good powering along. I knew that you would surprise yourself out there. Do some searches in your area for hiking groups or how to find hiking groups. You will be comfortable with their pace and learn some trails with them. Find a local outdoor type of store, maybe even an army surplus place, or mountain bike place.. ask about trail maintenance groups. Whoever does trail upkeep will be the people who are out hiking/biking the trails. I'll ask in the Dirtbag Trail group that is local to me for suggestions for you too. Trust me, noone liked that one goes on forever hill. Although I did take pleasure in going up it the last time and pointing out that it was my fourth time up it. Hey, I had to take pleasure however I could get it! LOL Fun hanging out with you as always! You and Ken are welcome anytime for some hiking!

Kat-you did great too! Proud of you and you should be proud of yourself too! You and Ginny kept chugging away and that's what it is all about. You may have wanted to walk and might have otherwise but being with strong Ginny proved that you were just as strong and capable to keep moving steadily along. Good to remember all that in your next outing. WWGD (what would ginny do?), curse a little, then keep trotting. LOL Some of the best events are the ones where I know that if I was by myself I would have slowed but because of someone else being there I kept on going. Proving to yourself that you could all the time be that little engine... I think I can...I know I could! Fun blow off day ahead of good Detroit Coney Island breakfast/lunch and some movie in an empty theater then great Middle Eastern food!

I will attempt something of a RR in next post!

Lisa

Good Morning!!!

Group power class this morning. Waiting to take DH's truck to the shop. It is a piece of sh!t, but it is a paid for piece of sh!t, so there's that.  We work at the same place, so we always drive my car. But it is nice to have a spare vehicle when you need it.

Lizzie--I hope Florence is not too bad in Richmond.

Congrats again to all the racers from Hell! Ginny--my phone no longer talks to me when using google maps, so if you figure it out let me know.

UGH!!! something is wrong with my gmail account and now I'm having problems w my work phone. Sad

Karen--I know you had fun with Huck over the weekend.

Better get moving.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Ginny did a good recap, I guess I will add a few things of my own.

As you know my start was difficult as well with the car not starting, but I made it fine. Walked out of the terminal and BAM!  There were Lisa and Ginny.  Rock star service.  Pretty area once we got off freeways.  Pizza Pizza then to Lisa's DC's place, nice!  Secluded area overlooks a lake.  We spent a few getting Lisa ready and then shuffled off to the race.  We were Lisa's "mules" schlepping her stuff around, glad to do it!! Lisa was so cute!  First she wears these adorable braided pigtails, and second you could tell the nerves were there, though she remained very calm.  (I woulda been a nervous obnoxious wreck, like a freaked out deer in the headlights...)  DC met us there a bit before the race (beer in hand) looking all dapper as he came straight from work.  At 4pm, after the horrid national anthem as Ginny mentioned, Lisa was OFF!!  After we sat around at Jennifer and David's camp for a bit indulging and chatting.  Nice folks.  Lisa's DC ran with Jennifer the next day and Ginny and I paired up.  Scooted back to DC's for dinner, then back to the race for Lisa's first loop in around 8pm.  She looked great!!!  Katie was there already to help her at the aid station and get her ready for her first night loop.  Katie then paced Lisa for her 3rd lap somewhere around midnight???  The three of left and went to bed.

Saturday came way too early.  Got up and met Ginny/DC downstairs for coffee/tea and bagels.  Headed out to the race shortly.  Yes, it was chilly for this now Texan.  I wore a long sleeve shirt so I was actually fine.  Race started at 7:30 and off we went.  Ginny and I started at the back, and stayed there!  Jennifer and DC were just ahead of us until where we split off into the woods and then we lost them.  I think the road/rail trail was 6 miles long.  6 miles TOO long...  But, once we got into the woods, it was lovely.  As Ginny mentioned, a crapload of runners, including the front runner, missed the turn.  Bummer.   The trail was SO nice and soft it was amazing.  Mostly single track trail.  Through woods for most of it, then the last few miles were through the pines which was a nice change.

Ginny was a workhorse throughout the race.  Yes, we did a run walk throughout, but she NEVER wavered, even when struggling for a very short period late in the race.  Since my training has been mostly walking, I wanted Ginny to lead so I wouldn't slow her down.  She did FAB!  Pulled me along for 13.1 miles.  Or 14.24 as my watch said...  I did lie around mile 12.8 when she was struggling and I told her were were almost there.  Little did I know, my watch was really off.  I think Ginny would have liked to stomp on my watch at one point.  Or me...  Wink  BUT, even for the very short time she struggled, she just ran on.  I was like, DAMN woman, slow down!!!

We finished a bit after Jennifer/DC and they met us at the finish!!  Lisa was crashed in the tent after her PHENOMENAL race, wow.  We went to the campsite and hung out for a bit.  Waited for another of Lisa's friends to finish, and headed back to DC's house.  We did stop in Hell on the way back for a burger.  We napped for a bit, got up and socialized for a bit, and then I was a party pooper and went to be at 8:30pm.  Was the last one up at 7:30 am Sunday too.  Guess I was tired.

Sunday after a nice breakfast at home we headed to a cider mill for, well, cider...  And heavenly donuts.  I got some pumpkin butter and horseradish mustard to take home.  We saw Ginny off and then Lisa, DC and I headed to another mill for HOT cider and more heavenly donuts.  Nice way to start the day.  We then went to Founders Brewery for lunch and a few beers.  We had a great time with 5 oz tasting sizes, yum.  After several tasters, I went for a pint (or two...) of a "Breakfast Rub."  Mixture of a breakfast stout with Runaeus, which is a VERY strong raspberry ale.  Rubaues is my FAV.  But this mixture, YUMMMMM.

We went back to Lisa's after and DC crashed for a never ending nap.  Lisa and I spent hours researching ultra's online...  Hmmm.....  Then we all crashed.  I slept terrible, I woke up every hour, quite annoyed...

Now we have a nice relaxing day of little planned!!  Breakfast, movie, middle eastern food, and who knows what.  My flight isn't until late.

I have had a fabulous time and appreciated both Lisa/DC's hospitality and generosity immensely, and loved meeting and hanging out with Ginny, who kept me going.  Thanks to all.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles tonight.

Ginny, nice RR. Congrats, again.

Liz, nice run.  Where are you going again and why can't you take Ruger with you?  I assume he will be in daycare?  They shouldknow what to do due to the storm, if needed, but I can understand the worry.  Hoping Florence does not get into your path.

Lisa, enjoy your vacation day.

Susan, nice class.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Congrats to the racers!

Karen, what a cute puppy!

Sunday Buddy and I met but decided to go for coffee at McD’s since it was pouring rain and not about to stop doing so. After he left, I went down to the park, ran out the trail and around the park. I got in a good 60 minutes running and the much cooler temperature and wind made it much easier to run. What a big change from the heat runs! My waterproof jacket kept me dry. After that, an errand and home.

Today it is still rainy and cold but I plan to go out and run however I can to avoid the standing water in the park. Work has been done there to try and keep the river from flooding at that spot. It was high water yesterday. Grocery after. I'll take dry shoes and socks. I'll need them.

Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Above is a pic Lisa can't get to post.  Below, well, me.

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Anonymous Guest

Good morning! I'm hoping to get a short run in this morning before two days of heavy rain expected. No hurricane or tropical storm, just rain storms. There may be something coming in the gulf by the weekend, which would give us more rain. We were all up early playing and dogs are now crashed. Huck was up three times in the night, but this time he woke me up before peeing and pooping instead of after. Yay! After our 4 am get up, I just put him in the bed with the rest of us and he conked out for two hours.

We are in serious cuteness overload here. Riley has been so good, and they've been playing a ton. Huck eats his food and then goes over and gets into Riley's food. Riley just stops eating and looks bewildered and comes and gets me, and then I move the puppy so Riley can finish his food. Just now puppy woke up because he heard talking in the other room (DH on a conference call), then came back and curled into a little ball right next to Riley. So so cute.

Liz, you will be just fine if you don't get another 20 in. You could skip the long run all together and be fine. I know you know this but don't trust it. Trust it. You have such a strong base now and fantastic training, you could skip a few weeks and still be okay. Are you guys driving down to Hilton Head? Hopefully the worst will be through or to the north by then. And you know they'll take care of your baby.

Ginny, great RR. Although I just skimmed through again, and I see no mention of the fact that you won your AG! Sounds like you had a fun weekend (after shaky start) and you and Kat raced well together. I'm looking forward to meeting Lisa's DC someday. Lisa's right, you know. Trails are more of a full body workout than road racing, and you are just allover strong, which really helps you power through.

Lisa, so happy for you and your race. You killed it. Thanks for the early thoughts on what worked.....you know I was "watching" and waiting to hear so I could learn from you. Looking forward to your RR. Now take it easy and have fun today.

Kathryn, sounds like you had a perfect weekend after your troubling start. Fun times with Ginny, Lisa and DC. And just powering through another race like we all knew you would. Michigan in fall is nice - I remember those cider mills. Enjoy the fun and relaxing day today.

Susan, a paid for piece of shit truck is better than a not paid for piece of shit truck!

Damaris, have a good 5. Is work slowing down any now that the big creditor meeting is over?

Judy, you are just the energizer bunny. We met for coffee since it was raining, she says. Then she goes out and runs after! Yes, dry shoes and socks for after - don't want to squish through the grocery store. Especially since it will probably be cold in there, and wet shoes will make it worse!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Karen, it should be calmer from now on.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunWoodstock '18 100k! Woot!

Ginny arrived at my place and I proceeded to pack her car with my stuff. We then picked up Kat from the airport so we could go to Hell. Nervous chatter from me of course. Wolfed down your typical pre-race food of 2 slices of Detroit style deep dish pizza. Changed into run gear...so weird to be starting a race at that time of day.. 4pm! Discovered hydration vest was wet. ???? Checking bladder and it seemed to be leaking. Luckily I have a guy who has hydration vests! Swapped out the fluid from my bladder to his. (yes that sounds weird, even to me). Then off to Hell Creek Ranch. Received a cool pic from a few of my co-workers. I was carrying the Steptember team pedometer. LOL

Got there and vest even wetter. WTF!! Took it apart and realized the seal on the tube was cracked. Much better to discover NOW vs at first aid station or first fillup. Picked up packet and headed back to DC's place for another swap..this time of the hose. Drive again back to the ranch. There by 2:30 so still awesome on time even though I've entered the state of nervous stupidity so kept making dumb things. Thank you Ginny and Kat for not openly mocking me. Kat looked groovy in her get-up! That helped put me in the right spirit of fun for the event too! Not many others dressed that much but lots of tie dye. They helped me stay smiling!

Pre-race meeting for 100 m/k runners was funny. RD for the actual race was Gary, who me met in Kentucky when we did the Big Turtle race. He is a funny guy. "no extra charge for extra miles but seriously if you miss a turn you only have yourself to blame." Paid him for my pacer. He wrote down her name and took my $20 bill. Seemed perplexed but I figured that was me. DC showed up all dressed from work with beer! We made quite the couple. Woot! Can you tell that I'm a bit excited and happy!

National anthem done by Lemon James (female runner who plays a mean guitar) done Jimi Hendrix style. We are off! Michele and I have trained together many times, she's also on our Dances With Dirt team. We started together for our lap around the campground then ran our own races.

Race is four 15.5 mile loops with 2 aid stations (one you hit twice) along the way. Mats at the start/finish, which also has a great aid station, and the 1/2 way aid station (Ritchies Haven).

Loop 1 2:04 to Ritchies, 1:50 to start finish: 3:55 total time

Long conga line to start on single track, but slowly spreads out. Super tall grass to weave through then rail trail. Pretty much ran that entire boring thing. Some guy out walking asked what we were racing. Was shocked by answer of 100miles or 100k.  Back into the woods! Yeah! Lots of thorny bushes on this stretch along with a few downed trees to step over. Then wider horse trail for a fairly nice down to Gracie's aid station. Quick grabs of food and drink and off on dirt roads. Walk the rolling ups but run the rest. Then into good ole Poto mountain bike trail. Love this trail! Ritchie's Haven has hot food coming up. All lit up already too. Chatting here and there with other runners. One from Dallas, one from Orlando, some crossfit guy.. all hundred milers it seemed. Feeling great.. better be! Texting DC and crew when I left aid stations so that they knew when to expect me. We hit Gracies a second time then go off on other horse trail.  This was where bees were stinging. I heard guy behind me yelling, but he hadn't fallen so ??? Asked if he was okay and he yelled "bees!" Immediately felt a sting on left thigh. Ouch... that was good for a fartlek moment. Some people were stung 6 times. Learned that our guy Gary, was later out there spraying the hive so that people weren't stung repeatedly. the 7:30pm 5k had started so we had to "deal" with those runners. Thank goodness we didn't have to see any of the folks opting for the natural run. Running into the campsite is so cool. People have tents all lit up and are basically their 100 milers home base. Surprised to see Katie there already. She was super for crew and pacing! She refilled bladder and helped me change into longsleeve. Picked up headlamp then, also had handheld which worked the best. Was awesome to see DC, Ginny, Kat and other friends there. But Gary, funny RD, is big on getting us out of the station.  "Get moving! You're killing it but move your ass now"

Loop 2: 2:22 to Ritchies; 2:15 to start finish; 4:35 total

This time includes all the end of loop stuff mentioned above plus a long stop at Ritchies to put on the butterfly capris and do a shoe change. On the rail trail, I switched all lights off and just ran in the dark. That was cool. The surface was white crushed limestone so I could see it well enough and I knew minimal trip hazards. Thought there was a car behind me when 2 runners came up that were same height. LOL The night running actually went well. It was so calm out that all I heard were crickets. The tall grass was freaky but held flashlight low. Had the bright idea to put on Topos when I changed pants. Within minutes realized that going from Hokas to Topos was a bad idea. Heavy cushion to low cushion. Dumb. Oh well...knew the Hokas would feel great when I put them back on.

Loop 3: 2:28 to Ritchies; 2:12 to start finish: 4:40 total

Katie was ready with the Hokas at start finish. Yeah! She told me to eat "food that grandma would give you" not just chips. So potatoes, grilled cheese, quesadilla, broth type options. Refilled vest and we were off! I must have had a bright idea here...

Had to dig pedometer out of bra to record steps.. over 79k for the day. LOL Really loved the special shoes Katie wore to pace me in. She had no idea what I was talking about. "Your panda shoes are SO CUTE!" they looked like little pandas in front of me. She totally got into "catch the pandas" and we had fun with it. Other runners either agreed with me that they did look like pandas or humored me or didn't give a F and just grunted.

She was great and kept me pushing. Told me I was running the wrong race clearly since I was so strong and so upbeat. Around 2:30-3am and she's still chatting away. Around 4am I told her that I could hear her but couldn't really respond. She understood so had been talking about stuff that just required "yup" or grunts. At one point I almost thought to ask her if it was normal to have to tell yourself to blink but thought better of it. One long potty break at Ritchie's haven but otherwise we were pretty much solidly chugging along. We say a bare chested good looking guy pass us wearing psychodelic short shorts. Commented, then his twin pulled alongside him. More comments about the Fancy Pants Twins. They took off. Heard one racer YELLING at volunteers at Gracie's about wanting to quit. Hear her behind us on the road yelling into her phone at some poor recipient on the other end. F this F that... just screaming and off the hook. I was like "she is expending energy in the wrong place."  Loved the special sign that was only out for this loop. It comes along a stretch that everyone calls Jurassic Park. there is a 12 foot chain link fence with barbed wire on top, sign on other side saying "biological research area"... dirt road on other side of fence. Just like in the movie. The sign was awesome! Only those running overnight got to see it. Was gone when I did fourth loop.

Loop 4: 4:32 total time...they didn't have a split for some reason.

Was awesome to come into the start / finish BEFORE the 50k people had started at 6am. Although that meant they would be coming up behind me. Saw David who was going to be doing 50k. Was also awesome to be shocking everyone that I was there that freaking early. Feeling loopy but not surprised. Was surprised to be starting loop in the dark. Had expected it to be light when I started it. Grabbed pancake with syrup and was off! Knowing that the 50 mile/50k run was starting soon was an inspiration to get through single track before they caught me. Then rail trail and I figured I should try to trot as much as I could. Wanted to walk. Started counting steps..walk 30 steps then trot 60. Got to 60... I can do more. Walk and count... I don't need 30. start trotting sooner. Eventually I got to a high enough number trotting that I stopped count. Smiled. Crap, back on single track with no fasties yet. I need to get through this to wide trail before they catch me. Get to wide trail, I need to get to aid station before they get there and eat all the food. First fastie got there as I was walking on dirt road with cup of coffee and pbj from aid station. Feeling pretty good about myself. Now the marathon started and the half. Was both annoying but good to have faster runners out with us. Kept me moving. I didn't step aside but told them to let me know if they wanted to pass, it's my fourth loop and would edge over. Minimal stops on this run but had to ditch flashlight/headlamp and move box to "dead drop area". Kept expecting to see David pass me (doing 50k) but didn't see him until 20 minutes out from the end. Last few miles I was moving pretty well. I asked the guy behind if he wanted to pass, was finishing 100k and he said "damn, I'm doing the 50k and thought you were going to fast for me to keep up with."  Came in fast for the finish with lots of smiles!! Was hoping to maybe be under 19 hours. Then 18:30. Then 18? Surprised myself with the 17:47. 39 out of 75  (107 started). 2nd in AG (there were 2 which surprised me, would have thought more). Which earned a groovy bus!

Sat for a bit at a picnic table (see above picture). Got some food. made way over to friends tent to change. Hobbled back to picnic table. Say DC and friend jennifer finish the half. They made me "chase" them down. then saw Ginny and Kat finish. So fun!! Michele finished in 20:37 and dropped at the finish line. We helped her a bit. Ended up eating in Hell... I opted for food with minimal chewing.. mashed garlic potatoes, chicken tenders, gravy and cheese.. all mixed in a bowl. Heaven in hell!

that's enough! Many comments about I ran the wrong distance since I feel good. Yup... Kat and I are looking at that next number. You know so that I can appropriately suffer.

Lisa

Seloc

Hello friends!  Man oh man it was an absolutely fantastic weather weekend here in MN.  Arguably the best this entire YEAR!  5.5 mi on Sat for me.  EARLY.  Then over to St. Paul to meet up with RB to hang out and drink coffee at the water stop for the marathon training group.  Breakfast after with her and her DH.  Then to a friends where we hung out, drank beer and played Scrabble on the porch.  Yep, we’re word nerds.  Ended up staying for dinner as her dad was in town and I hadn’t seen him in quite awhile.  5mi yesterday and then just chores and some laziness.  Regular rest day today.  Was considering getting up and doing tomorrow’s “speed work” today but decided rest was better.  Thought I was going to be back to weekend long runs but nope.  Agreed to another volunteer gig this Sat so will long run Thurs again.  Dewpoints creeping back up (not horrible and most of you would LOVE the 60*s but) so will make it slower and sweatier.  Ah well.

Lisa, Kat, Ginny – freakin AWESOME job in Hell!!

Ginny – LOVED your RR!!  Thank you for sharing.  It IS nerve wracking and difficult to navigate AND drive!!  Sounds like so much fun.  And faster than last time – woohoo!!  Super awesome.  Rest well, Ginny.

Kat – man DCs place sounds amazing.  Awesome job!  That is so great that you and Ginny could stay together and keep each other moving.  Crack me up and Ginny wanting to stomp on your watch or you!!  HAHAHA  No doubt we’ve all had those moments in a race.  Enjoy a free day today and safe travels home!!  Cute pics!!

Lisa – holy crap, lady, you KILLED it!!  I didn’t realize you were doing most of your running at NIGHT!  Forget me cheering from the couch – I was cheering in my sleep!  I bet you are still flying HIGH after that.  You are awesome!!  Loved the report, love the pics.  DC is so stinkin cute!  Katie sounds like the greatest pacer, crew, friend EVER!!  You were so consistent, too.  And an AG place!  Man you are amazing.

Lizzie – I loved the weekend thread title!  So appropriate and creative!  LOL funny about your stomach making creepy noises.  LAST PEAK WEEK – woohoo!  Heard this morning that they are expecting Florence in NC on Thurs?  Hope she doesn’t impact your vacation!  Man you sooooo deserve this break.  Then it’s TCM – woot!  YES!  I forgot about sushi!  And, there’s a great place just 3 miles from my house!  Oh boy, I didn’t think about Florence impacting your long run.  Ugh ugh ugh.  Wow, flood walls!  Hey, I’ll be out there Thursday, morning, too!  And will be thinking of you, of course.  LOL mmmmmm popcorn.  HCF knows where it’s AT!!  OMG, chica.  I am going to weigh in on your question to Karen.  Nope, it doesn’t matter if you skip this one.  For real.  You are far more fit than you even know.  But, I also know you and don’t believe you won’t at least try for some miles on Thurs.  Just try not to stress – easier said than done, I know.  I wouldn’t add anything to “make up” for it either.  If it does get nasty, then just do what you can on the dreadmill.  But, DON’T STRESS!!  Trust all your hard work and training to this point.  Hay is essentially in the barn.  Prefect weather at TCM and you will surprise the HELL out of your self.  Mark my words!!  Then I can say “I told ya so “ LOL – okay I wouldn’t really be mean like that but you catch my drift.  Confidence my pretty young friend, confidence!!  Ummm yeah, what Karen said.

Gatsby – awesome run on Sat.  How did volunteering go?  OMG 200mi race?  Whew.

Karen – omgomgomgomg Huck is soooooooooooooo stinkin CUTE!!  And, Riley, too!  I’ve been loving every last photo and vid.  Keep up the PRs (puppy reports hee hee)!!  Awwww shucks.  Makes gramma feel good when the coach agrees with my words on Lizzie’s pace.  Your new fitness place looks fun!  I would totally dig that.  Awww good little Huck already getting the hang of the potty!!  OMG now there’s 4 in the bed?  LOL  Too funny.  OMG cuteness overload is RIGHT!!  I wish I could meet him.

Carol – congrats on the half and 1st in AG!!  I hear ya on the humidity – I heard that we had the 2nd most humid summer in 145 years.  Especially crazy since we had a freakin blizzard in April.  Hope you are getting some of this cool dry air!!

Diane – wow, great mileage for you this weekend.  Safe travels this week!

Judy – haha sounds like coffee at Mickey Ds was better than running in the rain!

Damaris – HOORAY for things being a bit calmer at work.  Have a great run later!

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Super nice running weather this weekend, did 5 miles steady state on Saturday morning and 9 miles yesterday.  Other than that, not too much excitement this weekend.  Trips to the hardware store to do some home improvement!  Rest day today.  Awesome reading the race recaps this morning!

Congrats to Lisa, Ginny, and Kat!  Also congrats to Carol!

Also congrats to Karen and thanks for the cuteness overload.  

Lizzie,  nice miles this morning!   I was looking at the forecasted storms heading your way!  Hoping that it won't affect your vacation and Ruger stays safe!  I think you know the answer to your question regarding your long run.    You will be flying in the cooler weather.  All my RB's were super fast this weekend.  Fast co-worker did a 22 miler and averaged an 8:07 min/mile pace.  I can't even imagine.  Oh, we did get DD's results back from the EEG.  Only a message on the online portal that the test results were "normal".  Not sure what that means.  Other than that, no other direction!  I will have to call them.

Sandy, sounds like a nice weekend for you!  I haven't heard the stats on the humidity this summer.  It didn't seem as bad to me, maybe because I didn't have to do all those long(er) runs.     I watched that Prime show about the half marathoners in Wales.  It was pretty good!  Inspiring too.  The accents and phrases they used did crack me up.    I also watched a Prime show about the Barkley Marathons, "The Race that Eats its Young".     That was pretty interesting and entertaining!  DD even watched it with me.  I am about halfway through The Great Alone.   It does pick up after the beginning!   I have Try Not to Breathe, but a couple other books came in that I had on hold, Fly Girls, and Trust Me.  I can't renew Fly Girls, so I will have to read that next!

Waves to all, already lunchtime!

Cathy

Bikerchick1

Ginny - Great RR!  Sounds like you killed it out there.  Congrats!

Kat - Hope you have enjoyed your Michigan stay!  I’m sure Lisa is showing you all the things!!!  Congrats on your race!!!  I’m sure it was great to stick with Ginny!  Hope you have a easy trip home.

Lisa - Loved your RR!  You did amazing!  I’m sure there is much thought/discussion/dreaming about 100miler.  If anyone can, you can!  Not just physically strong, but mentally strong!

Lizzie - Glad you had a great run!  Hoping all stays safe with Florence.  Did you get your wedding dress???

Judy - as usual, you are so busy!

Sandy - We are getting the cooler, drier temps...feels so good!  I was actually relieved to see the report that it had been so humid in August, I thought I was being a wimp!  Sounds like you had a busy weekend!

Karen - your life seems crazy busy with your new little puppy!!!  How fun!

Susan - Paid up vehicles are always nice!  You are consistent with your classes...I need some of that motivation.

Damarias - Enjoy your 5.

Raining here - hoping to get out later for a few miles.

Carol

ginnyb

Well I did win my AG, but eventually found out I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN MY AG.  So, I don't know, kind of takes the zing out of it......but I guess I try to look at it as I am the only one my age who even attempted the run, right????

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15