Womens Running

Terrific TUESDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I am trying to be positive! HAVE A GREAT DAY LADIES!!!!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

9.3 for me. Body Pump tonight.

Pretty good run. Cold..but wasn't too bad. Nothing exciting..did have a stomach issue midway - I blame mother nature for that. It always messes up my stomach for a few days. Who are we kidding my stomach is always messed up. Smile Anyway, good run!  Tomorrows won't be so fun. Wink I have to get some new calf sleeves..mine have a big hole I noticed this morning! But then it occurred to me that I am a dumb dumb. I have been putting them on OVER my pant leg. DUH LIZ..I should be putting them on first and then my pants.   I can't get dressed on my own. Half the time my underwear is on backwards.

Why does mother nature always make you feel like you weight 600lbs?! I feel like a beached whale over here. 

Busy day today! Hopefully it makes the day fly! Its not even 8am and I want a nap. Peak weeks are hard!

Sandy – LOL – you don’t dry your hair all the way?! Hahaha. Does it curl up? Mine is super thick and curly..if I don’t dry it – it will look crazy and frizzy. You know – you can drink your sickness away. Haha. HCBF always tells me the story about when he was drinking – he would never get sick. Now he gets sick all the time. Weird, right? I wish I would eat cake. Sigh. I want to so bad. LOL. Maybe Thursday to prep for Friday? I don’t know. This bloat has me judging myself in everything. I hope you ran today! Only because I know you would feel better. You WILL have a better day today!! Hope your sickness has calmed down a bit, too.

Kilmister – Oh Elina..so so sorry about your day yesterday. One thing that really PISSES ME OFF is when people bug you on your day off. I hope you don’t count that as a personal day!! NO. That really isn’t fair. You work on a TEAM..so they are supposed to back you up when you aren’t there. Just my take…sorry about the gossip with mini-K. Things spread around offices like wildfire…Awesome on the award! Congrats!

Run2trail – You are absolutely right with what you said to Karen – the more we train the more bitty injuries tend to surface and linger. SO TRUE. DECAFF? HOW? LOL – kidding Smile Hmm..Interesting on the foam rolling. I usually do it fast and hard (that’s what she said). Especially over sore spots. I am going to try your way tonight. Calf raises seem to be helping a lot!

Ginny – My energy will deplete by Sunday, trust me. I will be couch surfing that entire day..I can bet. Haha. Man…that brownie/pb/snicker pie sounds so good! Do you have a recipe?! Running since 1978 – I think you are the machine J Does foam rolling help the hips?

Karen – Hoping you have a pain free run today!!!

Margaret – Its so hard to care less, isn’t it? I try to but don’t succeed. 71?! NO. Hehe – lowlights are exciting if you ask me Smile

Docket – Enjoy those SC runs!!

Off to get my wonder wheel ready - I call it my wonder wheel..measures distance for me Smile Have a great day everyone!

Docket_Rocket

Went to bed early and slept like shit, of course.

I have a full day of class, a dinner, and then hopefully, 7 with 2 @ Tempo or 6 easy.  On the TM.  Will be late to boot.

Lizzie, nice run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Congrats to all the racers. Cool prize, Sue!

Karen, best wishes about the ankle hurt.

Monday I did 55 minutes on the gym track. I’m concentrating on my posture as well as certain corrective/preventive stretches. Dry air in winter is damaging to the body.

Today I think DC and I are going to the gym.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Swim day! Followed by a short soak in the whirlpool.  Back is still not happy. I went home yesterday morning--I was so uncomfortable.  Today is not much better, so I will just stand up as much as possible.  Glad I go the standing desk.

Karen--I hope your foot is ok today.

Smile

ginnyb

Woke up 2-3 inches freshly fallen snow again this morning, I am so thrilled, NOT!  Supposed to get 4-6 more tonight.  Blech!!

RD for me today,

My granddaughters team won again last night!  Yay!  Only 2 more games and then tournament time.  I don't imagine they will get very far, but you never know.  My DH has been helping with the team some and they got him a balloon and they all signed a card for his birthday, which is today.  I am sure this was my GD's idea, she is such a sweetheart.

Lizzie....I am glad I don't have to deal with "mother nature" anymore, don't miss it a bit!  Sorry about the tummy troubles this morning.

Karen....how is the foot today??

Damaris....sorry about no sleep again

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Seloc

Elina - man, that does NOT sound like much of a day off if work kept trying to find you!  Frustrating.  Glad you had some fun with former coworkers.  Congrats on the award!!

Ginny - yes, please do join me on the wine and popcorn diet!  Dinner of champions!  5mi on the dreadmill - wowzers.  WTG!!  Since 1978, eh?  That's impressive!  I'm kinda right behind you - if I count running track in high school and running to keep in shape for volleyball and basketball that would be 1983.  But, I didn't run my first race (a half marathon) until 1999.  I just put those two books on request at my library (electronically -  haven't checked physical copy) and I should have the one in 90 some days and the other in over 400 LOL!!  That cracked me up.  When it comes up in year I'm going to have no idea why I requested it haha

Karen - thanks for all the book recs!  Now I must save this post.  I was on GoodReads for awhile but didn't really use it.  Maybe I should log back on just to follow you!  Glad the ankle/foot is all put back in it's place.

Gatsby - sorry about the work stress!  I agree - maybe things wouldn't be so annoying if one didn't care so much.  Aw man, I want it to be too hot for Feb here!  Hope you had a nice little joggity jog last night.

Damaris - enjoy the cooler temps of SC!

Lizzie - nice run!  Nope, your are NOT a beached whale.  Beached whales can't run that far.    Seriously, though, don't be so hard on yourself.  Do as I say not as I do!!  LOL  We are all our own worst critic.  Yeah, the hair does sorta get curly but drying it makes it all frizz or something.  I use product to keep it tame so when it air dries it's not quite so crazy haha.  But, keep in mind I'm not known for my fashion or beauty habits.  EAT CAKE!!  LOL on the wonder wheel!!

Sue - ugh, sorry the back is still hurting!

Ginny2 - UGH on the snow!  I feel your pain.  I saw the pics on FB - your DH is very handsome!  Super sweet of the girls to recognize his birthday.  Happy Birthday to him!  Will you do anything fun tonight to celebrate?  G-rated, of course haha <------ that was for Lizzie  

4mi indoors at slower than a snails pace to avoid losing a lung.  Better than nothing, I guess.  I'm about ready to throw in the towel for this week as there is no end to these cold temps in sight.  One of the girls wants to run outside tomorrow but I may opt for spin class instead.  There is a happy hour tonight for one of the guys that's been here 30 years.  My old manager will be there and I would LOVE to see him but everyone will be clamoring for his attention.  Will decide later, I guess.  Oh!  Watched This Is Us last night - wow, was it good.  Pretty darn sad for sure.  But, are there REALLY husbands and fathers like that in real life??  Next episode is tonight already but I will probably wait until tomorrow to watch.  Later, kids....

ginnyb

Sandy....I ran my first real race around 1979, a 10K and then very few at all and never anything more than a 10k until 2008 when i ran my first half.

Nothing for birthday tonight, maybe over the weekend, GD has another game Saturday so we may all go out to eat after.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

I'm trying to decide whether to try a run this morning or just hop on the bike on the trainer. The ankle/foot doesn't hurt, but I can still feel something a little off. Dr. Google is no help. But it's killing me since this should really be my peak week of training, plus it's supposed to start raining a little later and all day tomorrow. Gah.

I have been on google flights pretty much every day for a month now since I need to buy tickets for Boston and MSP. And now Portland. Let's just say I'm glad we're getting a tax refund and really glad I'm not paying for the Portland tix - those are expensive.

Sandy, speaking of flights, I'm probably buying my tickets for Fargo this week. Were we talking flying in Thursday evening and out Sunday evening? I think the flights I was looking at would get in at 5:30 Thursday and leave Sunday around the same time. There are several flights on Sunday for the same price though, so let me know if earlier or later would work better. I hear ya on keeping an easy pace to avoiding coughing up a lung. DH is about a week behind me in our cold/flu, and now he's at the point where he feels okay except for the cough/congestion, so he questions me every time I go run. Then rides his bike. I feel bad, I'm just watching one marathon result probably go bad, the timing is potentially messing up his entire racing season.

Liz, I am living vicariously through your running right now. Especially since I no longer have to worry about....mother nature, so I can live your runs without the stomach issue! Hey, my hair gets all curly and frizzy if I don't blow dry it too. And I learned when Lisa was here that we apparently lost our hair dryer in the move - so yeah, I haven't had a good hair day in almost three years!

Judy, enjoy the gym!

Susan, I hope the back feels better. I took my bike out and rode until I was comfortable in the aero bars yesterday.....apparently I was tense at the beginning and not used to things because my shoulders and upper back are tight today. Nothing like you're going through though, that sounds downright awful.

Damaris, hope you're enjoying the hills and weather this week.

Ginny, how sweet the team remembered your DH's birthday. I will try to stop complaining about all the rain we've been getting this winter...

Oh Kat, I almost forgot, found out what hotel I'm at in Portland. the Marriott Downtown Waterfront. I am probably staying an extra day plus will have a meal or two not included with the conference, so throw your recommendations my way.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Margaret, no, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the advice. While I might not be able to manage it, RN might. And what's wrong with back to back 50Ks anyway? Pinelands doesn't look like tough technical trail and it can't be that high above sea level. 50K has less than 4700' gain and loss.

Karen, downtown Portland? Running along the Willamette is very nice. Lots of bridges!

Sandy, I started running in 1977, though didn't enter my first race until 1984 (5K being put on as part of the run up to the Olympics -- pun intended.)

Oops, conference call. BBL.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Talking about first races... this is the story of my first race... I was in my early 20's so this was back in the mid 90's.  I was in fairly good shape, I did aerobics at the health club but I never ran.  The library was doing a 5K for a fundraiser so I decided to do it.  It was a very relaxed race, no chip timing.  I think there were about 20 people running it.    The race started and they all took off.  I ran as far as I could but I was just dying.  The course wasn't marked well so I didn't know which way to go.  I eventually started walking and made my way back.  No idea how far I ran or how long it took.  I don't know if it was a DFL or a DNF.    That was my first 5K race, the next one wasn't until 2012.

Books - the book I just finished was "Killer Ambition" by Marcia Clark.  It's a legal thriller.  Marcia Clark was the prosecutor in the OJ Simpson trial.  I've read a lot of thrillers lately, "Triptych" by Karin Slaughter, "Never Let You Go" by Chevy Stevens, "Close to Home" by Robert Dugoni (GatsbyBird's cousin).  "The Ghostwriter" was really good, it's written by Alessandra Torre, she normally writes erotica, but the book is not erotica.    That's probably the favorite of the books I've read this year.  So not a lot of great literature for me either.  

Ginny, thanks for the book suggestions, I put them on hold at the library.  Not too bad, 2nd for one and 4th in line for the other.  I have a couple books that have been on hold for a long time, "The Woman in the Window", I am 91 out of 214 and "The Immortalists", 34 of 126.  I hope your GD's team does well!

Lizzie, nice 9 despite the stomach issues!  You were wearing calf sleeves over your pants?    I don't dry my hair all the way either, it's thick and it takes a long time.  It's like a sponge.    My feet hurt after standing around in boots on Saturday night.  I don't really have a timeline for running.  I would like my feet to be absolutely pain free for a week before running.  We'll see if that happens before the end of the month!  Our next 5K is Feb 18, it's a fun one.  The hilliest course.  It's weird when your hair freezes.  My hair was pretty dry this morning and it still froze.

Damaris, hmmm, a choice between tempo and easy?  I know which one I would do, haha.  Sounds like some nice weather in SC!

Sandy, that is a long time to wait for those books.  We don't get an estimate on how long it will take for a book on hold, we just see how many people are ahead of us.  So it depends on how fast they read.  But our library is part of a network of a bunch of local libraries, so the book can come from anywhere in the area and it is usually fairly fast.  If I were running this would definitely be a TM week for me!   Are there really husbands and fathers like Jack in real life?  Ha, not that I know of.    Oh, just saw that the books Ginny recommended and I put on hold are already shipping to our library!

Elina, congrats on the award for your team!

Karen, just put some of your book recommendations on hold also.    I hope the foot continues to be OK.

Cathy

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Karen, all I can say is WOW, there has been an explosion of new restaurants in Portland.  Crazy. I can give you some old stand by ones that I love, or have heard about.  New ones, no idea...

Portland City Grill (downtown) - Happy Hour in the bar.  Old school, dark interior, great food.  It is on the 30th floor of a downtown building.  Spectacular views.  Restaurant is overpriced, but delish.  I rarely eat in the restaurant, I prefer the HH menu.  No reservations for the bar.  Took Lizzie here.

Departure (downtown) - only if it is a nice day out.  The restaurant part is OK, but the patio on a good day is lovely and overlooks downtown PDX.  The food (Asian-ish) is very good.  No reservations.  Also took Lizzie here.

PokPok (SE PDX) - it would be a very short cab ride to the southeast side.  Well known hippie Asian style food.  Best chicken wings on earth.  Asian chicken wings you say?  TRY THEM, whoa boy howdy!  No reservations either and the wait can be hefty at prime times.  Across the street is Whisky Soda Lounge, many of the same items on their menu. Took Lizzie.  Oh, apparently they opened up another restaurant in PDX that accepts reservations.  Hmm, YUM.

Andina (Pearl District) - this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE RESTAURANT.  I love the food, Peruvian.  Their classic ceviche is fab.  I get the lamb chops every time.  It is a splurge and reservations are really a necessity.

Imperial (downtown) - have been and is good.

Tasty n Alder (downtown) - not been, heard good things.

Bar Mingo (NW 21st) - yummy yummy Italian

Le Bistro Montage (SE PDX, under the Morrison Bridge) - quirky late night cajun/creole.  Cheap.

Higgins (downtown) - Pacific NW menu.

Salt and Straw (multiple locations) - never been, but it is is supposed to be to die for ice cream.

Mothers - lunch spot downtown.  All the rave on the weekends.

Voodoo Donuts (downtown) - just cause.  (The lines are stupid long, and hey, it is just a damn donut.)

You are on the waterfront, so running around the bridges is common.  Hawthorn to Steel.  The loop is maybe 2.25miles long??  Been a while.  Gets super crowded on the weekends.  Definitely see some of the more colorful folks of PDX.

Walk or cab to the Pearl District - old warehouse district that was renovated to be the trendy and expensive area now.  Lots of shops/restaurants. Then hit NW 21st/23rd, old Portland area that also has lots of shops/restaurants.  Powells' book store is in between.  It is enormous.  Like, blow your mind huge.

Multnomah Falls if you rent a car, well worth the drive, maybe an hour.  Lizzie can vouch.

That is what I can come up with for now.  Jealous.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

WTF. That is today. Nothing but problems. Freakin mammal….

I asked to WFH Friday and he came and gave me shit about it. I was honest and said why I wanted to, and he came in my office going on about how it’s the 6th Friday (hes keeping count) that I have been WFH and why don’t I use PTO. Uhm, I don’t want to use PTO. He said I should have lied on my reasoning as to why I wanted to work from home. Oh really? I should lie? I asked him if I ever gave him reason to think I wasn’t doing anything and hes like “No, I am just from the old age of you have to be in the office. I am going to have knee surgery and I am coming to work”..WELL GOOD FOR YOU. He eventually backed down but UGH IT PISSED ME OFF. And still is..his freakin ego he thinks he has to control everything. I may not act like an adult but I really am one. LOL.  END RANT.

Docket – Ugh, sorry for the awful sleep!

Judy – Dry air does something to the posture?!?! I know it dries my skin out for sure!

Susan – Ugh…sorry about the back. Nice job on the swim. Does your back bother you while you are swimming?

Ginny – I will take your snow any day! Congrats to your GD!! I loved the pictures last night. Happy Birthday to your DH!! That was really sweet what they did for him last night.

Sandy – Woohoo! Nice job on the indoor run. Sorry that the cold is still hanging on!! You are right though – it might be better to rest until it is gone. I can say that..but if it were me I wouldn’t follow those directions Smile Seriously though. Get better! Wow, running since 1983? Impressive!! I am getting to the point where I care less about fashion haha. More for comfort these days. You know, if I could wear sweat pants to work I would. I SO WOULD. Mammel gives me a hard time about the way I sit at my desk – Sometimes I sit like a cannon ball in my chair. LOL. Why not? Comfort first. You can say G rated all you want my mind always goes to X. Smile

Karen – If you aren’t feeling any pain..I would give it a try. If it feels good then keep going..if not then stop! That’s what I would do. Awe, poor DH has the cold/flu now? That might be worse for you though. Does he have any races coming up? LOL on your hair day. You don’t have to worry about good hair days anymore!!!

Tessa – Wow, 1977?! Geez, all you ladies impress me!

Cathy – I had to chuckle about your first race Smile I think its funny you didn’t do your next one until 2012! Was it THAT bad? Haha. I hope you have a pain free week soon! VERY SOON! I keep thinking about how I was wearing those sleeves over my pants and realizing how dumb I am. No wonder they got a hole in them!!! When you said the  author normally writes erotica, I almost took up reading! LOL. Wink

Kathryn – Pok Pok and Portland Grill were awesome! Isn’t that the place we had the DELICIOUS DESSERT?!

Back to the BS.

Seloc

So, I keep forgetting to ask...  Did anyone watch the Super Bowl?  Or, that halftime show?  Or, Jimmy Fallon that night live from Mpls?  He had dinner with a family LOL.  I did think the halftime show was pretty good and the purple symbol over the stadium unique.  Wondering others thoughts of the "Bold North" haha

Man, today has been madness, MADNESS, I say!  Finally a little calm and I can breath.

Lizzie - HIP HIP HOORAY for WFH on Friday!  Proud of you for being honest and sticking your ground.  Maybe you can change the Mammel for the better?  It's all about managing up - that's what I say...  How did your wonder wheeling go?  I would sometimes sit like that when my desk was lower.  But now it's raised and my chair is the height of a bar stool so it isn't nearly as comfortable.  It's not a fancy raise and lower desk - more the old budget version.  I'm honestly kinda tired of it.  Oh, and calf sleeves over pants with puffy vest??  You shoulda took a foto 

Kat - OMG you are the best travel guide EVER!  Portland is totally on my bucket list, too.  Note to self - ask Kat next time I go ANYwhere.  You would LOVE to meet my sister - she's quite the foodie and they are always trying new places when they travel.  Do you ever do any Triple D places?  (Diner, Drive-ins and Dives - Guy Fieri)?  Are you watching TIU tonight?

Cathy - sorta funny with the library - the hard copy it tells you your number in line but, electronically it tells you how many days.  The one app and hard copy website is by county so approx idk, 8-10 libraries?  But, they are not huge.  The electronic app, though, I believe pulls from more locations though I'm not sure.  There's also another app (Hoopla?) that I'll sometimes use which is even broader but not as friendly - it craps out alot.  Lucky you are already getting one of GInny's recs!  I'll be reading it in 2019 LOL  OMG, the story of your first race cracked me up sooooo bad.  What a great story!!  Definitely one to share with others if they are ever nervous cuz that just wouldn't happen now, do you think??  I take it you didn't run with anyone?  Did you ever figure out what happened?  OMG, sorry, but that is just hilarious.  Glad it didn't deter you forever!!

Tessa - dang, girl, you win the earliest started running award!!  What year was your first marathon?  Were you hooked from the start?  Clearly you ran in the days of all cotton, too LOL

Karen - hooray for looking at flights!!  Those times sounds perfect!!  In fact, I think jive with what Lizzie has.  But, totally NBD either way since I'm only about 17min from MSP.  For sure come in at the latest Thurs night so we can take our time driving up on Friday.  Sunday I wouldn't fly out too too early or we will have to get up super early to get back - it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive.  You are also most welcome to stay longer at Casa de Seloc if that suits your fancy.  

Forecast (according to Intellicast) for 5am tomorrow is 5* but no windchill.  Hmmmmm run or spin - that is the question...  Have a good night!!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Lizzie, no connection that I know between posture and dryness.  The posture thing is because in the 70's we can easily start bending forward way too much. The muscle strength is not as good and we may tend to look down to be more sure of our footing. Actually, my footing is excellent when I am running but I am not perfectly sure when I walk.  

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns