Womens Running

What the HECK WEDNESDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 18 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Matt Lauer now?!?! I grew up watching him on Today show!! CRAZY!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

8.1 for me!

Another good one!! It was warmer out there this morning - mid 40's. I will say it was nice to leave the gloves at home and have a short sleeve shirt on. I think 40's are perfect. Sometimes I get annoyed with my gloves. I probably need new ones. Anyway, good run! I am ready for a rest day though..just to sleep!

I didn't sleep worth sh*! last night. My mind was going and going and I just tossed and turned all night. I have to have a sit down with HCBF..after yesterday..I see those little monsters in my future. Not soon..but later. He said he would consider if I did, but has also said he doesn't see himself changing his mind. So..what's a girl to do?  I am feeling a lot of pressure now because I don't want to waste anyones time...or drag on something that just may not work out. Glad I am at work to keep myself busy.

HuronHeart – Have a great time at the wedding! I missed somehow that it was in Cancun!! AWESOME!

Docket – I hope you know what an inspiration you are. Seriously. From DNF’ing in Houston..to surgery…to ending 2017 with some freakin’ awesome PR’s. You are so freaking awesome. If I ever get injured (knock on wood) I hope I have your drive and persistence to get back to it. Congratulations!!!! What a great year for you!!

Happy Wednesday!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Oh Karen...good luck today!!!! Weigh before and after..I am interested to see the difference. I had one and I lost 8lbs. I guess I was full of sh*!.

LC Runs

2.5 TM miles and some upper body weights.  I am going to attempt a 5 mile TM run tomorrow morning LOL!

Lizzie - I know, I just heard about Lauer on the radio!  I can't say I'm surprised, I loved him when he first started on the Today show but seemed like he became a real jerk once he was successful.  He was mean to Ann Curry and I really liked her!!  The baby is so cute, Congrats to your brother and sil!!

I have been wishy washy about the work drama thing, it seems kind  of stupid now that a few days have passed and I have more perspective on it.  Basically, my work partner told the supervisor I do everything and she doesn't feel like part of the team.  My response was I have taken over most of the work because she.doesn't.do.anything and if she wants to feel like part of the team then just start taking initiative.  We definitely work at a different pace.  I do like her as a person and I think most people that work together day after day, share an office and share car rides are going to have differences.  Things are going better this week, I've just asked her to do things and she seems to be stepping up so we'll see.  Sometimes things have to come to a head before they can get better.  To add to that, I've applied for another job in the agency, it's a lateral move (so, no more $$) but it would be more independent as I would be doing quality assurance with chart reviews and such.  We'll see, we are losing a lot of people so I don't know that they want another case worker to leave.  Ironically, my partner has been actively interviewing for the past 6 months to get out of here so I really doubt she'll be sticking around. I'll keep you all posted!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Lizzie, I make sure to do the cottage cheese and applesauce side by side in a little container. The cottage cheese really does the trick. I always need the extra protein.

I also have a formal name. Judith does NOT fit me at all and should be for a tall dignified woman. Judy? Yeah, it fits. Short, scrubby and feisty.

Late last night I got a robocall. (Late night calls unnerve me.) It was an Amber Alert for a house cat. Do they do these for pets? 

Tuesday was a 55 minute trail run. No deer so maybe our season has calmed down. It did start early this year. Maybe they are quitting early? Maybe they are hunkered down with a beer and the remote, watching the game?

Before my run, I did get 30+ minutes of meditation and yoga.

Today I plan another trail run after some work gets done on the apartment. DC and I have an errand to do, then we are going out to dinner.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

Holy cats the weather forecast for the 50k on Dec 9th is 44/28 mostly sunny with 10 mph winds.  Have I mentioned how I dislike cold?  It's rainy and cold here and I'm really wanting to dive into this cup of coffee.

Kat - yes BB for Dec as my first 50 miler is on the list.  At least it'll be warm in HSTN that time of year...lol.  Maybe 2018 will be my year of flat events...lol.  Well there is some climbing at the Mustang Run.

Lizzie it's getting ridiculous, makes me wonder if there isn't a man out there not guilty, at least "allegedly" of some kind of sexual misconduct.  Wonder if in some cases it's more the difference in how men and women perceive inappropriate behavior?  I sure hope they didn't fire him without some sort of proof.  Damaris aren't we still innocent until PROVEN guilty?

Lizzie I managed to get all tangled in my sheets so I didn't sleep good either, not for the same reason tho....lol.  I've heard of a lot of women who have had that happen.  Before you totally make up your mind babysit for a few hours.  I love mine but oh my after 8 days with them I am so happy to be home where it's relatively quiet.

Laura, I got in 30 min on the TM last night so good luck on the 5.  I need to build back up and get back to training.

Karen, I hope it goes well, that was one test I was happy to avoid this year.

Kathy/HH have fun in Cancun.  Sounds heavenly right about now.

Tessa, I'm going to keep checking MO and AR events.  The ones I have seen in AR are kind of technical (well for me) and don't have very long cut offs so they may be a later date once I get better at roots and rocks.

Seloc

Cathy – hooray for another painless 3mi!  Hey, thanks for the info on the water heater – good to know!  I’m near mine daily (the litter box is next to it in the utility room) so I hope I would notice if it is leaking.  I’m planning to update my shower after the first of the year so maybe I’ll get my handyman’s opinion on that at the same time.  I’m NOT going to believe I am now jinxed by talking about it LOL

Judy – cottage cheese with applesauce sounds really good!

Tessa – mwahaha on tireless cars – it took me a minute to get it haha  Yep, we are in quite the warm stretch!  No snow in site – they are saying they do not see anything until mid-Dec at this point.  Sure hope they are correct!  Greyhound lady was in sweats and a hoodie?  I thought it was still warm in your parts?  What are you reading?

Kat – awww poor little beasts!  Hope the meds help them perk up!

Sue – boss lady is smiling?!!  Whoa!!  Congrats on that!!  OMG that dreadmill sounds more dreadful than normal.  Can you get outside at all?  Good luck with your presentations today!!

Damaris – ugh on the McDs.  I would probably have opted for an ice cream cone if that was my only option haha.  Or gas station popcorn.  Poor Bugsy!  I hope he is doing better today.  LOVED your RR.  What a way to finish out the year – CONGRATS!!

Diane – wow, that’s an ambitious schedule!

Elina – oh no on the broken twig!  That’s what my nephew calls his hockey stick hee hee.  Can you get the same model?  Interesting I had no idea there were different “softness” or whatever.  Is it same in ice hockey?  Congrats on the W!

Lisa – hooray for finding new running routes!

Lizzie – I absolutely LOVE your nephews full name – LOVE!  It sounds strong.  So glad you got to see him right away.  He is adorable.  I LOVE being an aunt.  And, I was thinking this morning that I became an aunt at about your same age!  It all gets REALLY fun when they actually become people and you can enjoy each other’s company.  Although I will fully admit to not enjoying certain ages (5/6 yr old girls and 11/2 yr old boys for example LOL).  Driving IS tiring!  But look at you still getting to BP – WTG.  Hope you and Ruger buddy got to bed early.  Oh and you are sweet but no need to worry your pretty little head about Ms. Bah Humbug over here!  I’m not all that bad.  Just not feeling the Christmas cheer and rather avoiding it all.  I *may* still make my toffee – we’ll see.  NO COOKIES but thanks.  Feeling too fluffy with all this “rest” (laziness) going on lately!!

HH – OMG have a great trip and congrats to DD!!

Lizzie2 – OMG my thoughts EXACTLY on Matt!!  I was shocked when I heard the news this morning.  Saw Savannah’s breaking story – she could hardly keep it together!!  Such conflicting emotions.  Nice run!!  LOL on getting annoyed with your gloves – why?  Awwww, sorry for the bad sleep.  Lots to think about!  LOL on getting Karen’s before and after weight.  You lost 8lbs?!!  OMG I want to do one of these things LOL

Laura – good luck with your 5mi on the dreadmill tmrw – I bow down to you!!  Ugh on the work drama.  OMG, your partner would BUG.  There are SO MANY in my office that do not take ANY initiative.  I can totally relate – I like to get sh1t DONE!  Glad things have calmed down a bit.  Good luck with the potential new gig – more independence sounds awesome.

Judy2 – Amber Alert for a HOUSE CAT??  OMG, I have NEVER heard of such – sorta cracks me up.  I hope they find the little fur ball.

Well, I got out for 3mi this morning!  Coughed up half a lung when I finished but the fresh air felt amazing.  28* and no wind.  Finally put a spreadsheet together for Fargo and have it on the fridge!  Pretty loosy goosy until after MX and training doesn’t have to officially start until the end of Jan but I work better with a schedule.  It looks good up there, too!  SHOCKED to hear about Matt Lauer this morning.  I have VERY mixed feelings about all this.  I know as women we have been conditioned to ignore and deal but I do not think it’s appropriate.  And I also want to know WHY this is all coming out NOW when it may have happened years ago??  Well, the Franken thing anyway – not sure about Matt.  Gah.  This world is a mess.

Anonymous Guest

Starting weight: 120.4. I will weigh myself again tomorrow when it's over. I've been down to 119 this last week (I've been trying to get under 120 for my 12/10 marathon). I am interested to see just how full of sh*t I am! I am on the fence as far as running this morning. I'd like to do a short easy run, but is that stupid since all i can eat are things like chicken broth and jello? I'm already hungry and it's only 9 am, but then again, running usually makes me not hungry.....sigh. I'll probably go out for at least 4.

Damaris, great race report. Like we talked about before the race, I think you are in 4:20-4:30 race shape right now, but it may take a couple races to get there. You have worked your butt off coming back from the knee surgery - sometimes I look at your workouts for the week and think "dang, glad I'm not doing that."

Huron Heart, have a great trip and enjoy the wedding!

Liz, nice run, again. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself or HCBF. I felt the same way after my sister had her first, but well, life intervened and it turns out I couldn't have them. I would have considered adoption, but DH wasn't that much onboard. He was more along the lines of HCBF (not interested at first, but willing to give it a shot once I wanted them). It was a really tough time for me, but we made it through. Sorry, that ended up more about me than you, and didn't really solve anything or even really give you any advice.......not really sure where I'm going there, can I just blame the fact that it's after 9 am and I haven't eaten anything????

Laura, work drama sounds annoying. I'm really bad at asking people to do things and will just do everything myself, so I would totally be like you in that partnership. Umm, she needs to step up maybe. Sounds like you are working to fix things.

Judy, robocall for a missing cat? Geez, if they start doing that here my phone will go off nonstop. I get on the next-door website and eery day there is at least one missing pet post.

Diane, I know you hate the cold (and in general, so do I), but that weather sounds kinda good for a race to me. Well, before I would be miserable and complaining, but I warm up fast during. I know you get and stay cold though, so layer up! I heard a cold front was coming to basically the entire eastern half of the country next week and am hoping it reaches Mississippi on 12/10! I will pack all kinds of throwaway clothes for the start if I need to. Oh, gift ideas - do you have a good headlamp? Other trail running gear? Or cold-weather running gear? Do you listen to music or podcasts on the TM - if so and you're moving into the tiny house soon, maybe some bluetooth headphones? Subscription to a trail running magazine or any books you still want?

Sandy, yay for 3 outside miles!!! And for a plan for Fargo! Even though I like to do 12-week plans for marathons for myself, I do better running with a plan so have started making myself "base-building plans" for in between races sometimes.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

dhuffman63

Trails

Glad you are feeling somewhat better Sandy.  I've not paid for any races yet so there could be adjustments made but I don't race like you all do so mine are more like "extended hikes" than what you super runners do.

Ginny, I hope you are getting to feel motivated somewhat.  I did see a good article in the halfmarathon.net website on burnout.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

So tonight we are planning on going to an Italian restaurant.  Because Santa will be there.    Older DD asked if we will see Santa this year so she can tell him what she wants for Christmas.  Part of me wonders if she should still believe in Santa, she will be 13 in April.  But I don't want to ruin it for her either.    Did my PF exercises this morning, will try to get some core in tonight.

Lizzie, nice 8!  I usually just wear cheap knit gloves from Target or Meijer when running until it gets really cold.  Then I can just take them off and tuck them into my pants if I get warm.  And it's OK if I lose them.    I stock up at the end of the year when they are on sale for $1.  Aww, I had a feeling you would feel that way last night, you looked SO happy with Emerson!  Well, talk to HCBF and see what his reasons are for not having kids.  I am hoping you can work things out because you are so great together!  Emerson is a cutie, I love babies!    Matt Lauer now... who's next?  Apparently women can't be anywhere because men just can't help themselves!    I think the elliptical did help my foot, if only because my foot was nice and warmed up before running!  And it probably helped to keep me from overdoing it too early.    I love pine candles.  

Laura, sorry about the work drama!  She complained that you do too much?  I think your response is valid.  Hopefully things work out, work drama sucks!  5 miles?  No way!  

Judy, amber alert for a house cat?!?  That's a new one!

Diane, ha, is that weather cold?    Rainy sucks though.  What is the temp normally like?  Birthday suggestions... I have a hard time coming up with stuff too.  I try to keep a list of things I see that look interesting.  The things I have on it now: lights for running at night, Orange Mud Transition and Seat Wrap (for changing your clothes after a race and covering up your car seat to keep it clean), wireless headphones.  There is some cute running jewelry, maybe something to commemorate your ultras?

Sandy, ha, you want to do a colonoscopy?    Pretty soon...  I had to do the same prep when I had a kidney x-ray a few years ago... it's not pleasant.  Nice that you got out this morning!  Glad you got the schedule done.    I like having a schedule also.  I may have mentioned that before.    It would be nice to know some of the details around Matt Lauer... some of the stuff coming out now is a little questionable.  I would think it's pretty clear cut though if they let him go.

Damaris, aww, sorry about the pancreatitis.  Nice race recap!  Those are cool medals.  Haha, I was thinking a similar thing after your speedy 10K.    Man, I wish you could figure out the sock issue!  Still a great race, congrats!

HH-Kathy, have a great trip!

Lisa, a Krispy Kreme is your turnaround?  I am not a huge sweets person but a hot Krispy Kreme is pretty awesome.  

Tessa, gold jewelry as a request from an angel tree donor?  I suppose you can get gold colored jewelry pretty cheaply.  She probably wouldn't know the difference.    Hmmm, we usually do a similar thing at work but it hasn't been announced yet.

Elina, aww, sorry about your stick.  It probably served you really well.    Congrats on the win!  Oh yeah, I remember when you got the cut while travelling!

Kat, sorry about your kitty issues.  Hope they figure something out!

Cathy

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Hi Karen!  I would probably do well running in your situation, I hate running with anything in my stomach.     Hope the prep and procedure go well.  When I went through the prep I had to drink some phospho-soda.  It was awful, but there wasn't a lot, just a small bottle.  My sister just went through the prep and said she had to drink a gallon of "stuff".   She couldn't drink it all, it made her throw up.  Ha, so you put together Damaris' plan and you are glad you don't have to do it?     Did you hear back from Tammy?  Looks like her marathon did not go well at all.

dhuffman63

Trails

Cathy, yes that's about normal temp wise.  Last year I did the 15k there and it was miserable, cold, windy and overcast all day.  I volunteered after my race and was at an outside aide station for 4 hours.  They had up to 100k last year.  This year it goes to 200k and is certified.

I found what I want....a rowing machine.  Found a moderately priced one with good reviews and DH said go ahead and order it...so I did...lol.  We can both use it so I also took Tessa's advice and ordered some Balega socks to try out.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Morning Ladies,

Lizzie, congrats on being an Auntie!  I'm sure he will get spoiled rotten by you.  Good luck with HCBF and discussing kids.  Don't rush into decisions one way or the other.  Big decisions take lots of time and thought.

Laura, good luck on the continued work drama.  Hopefully she will find a position and all will improve.

Judy, Amber Alert for a pet??  Now I am a pet lover, but that is a bit much.

Diane, yay on BB!!  Definitely flat.  Last year was chilly but not cold.  I had tights and a light jacket on.  But I get cold easily.  I'm glad you found something nice for your Bday.  And it is something DH can use as well!  Balegas are my favorite socks.

Sandy, glad you are feeling a bit better.  Perseverance to get out there and run feeling like you do.  I am right there with you, why everyone now...

Karen, good luck with the procedure tomorrow.  Blech.  Hope you survive your hunger.

Cathy, enjoy dinner, Italian is my favorite.  Funny she still believes in Santa.

Just got back from a good run!!  Finally.  6 miles.  I really am trying to slow down, run more, and walk less.  I am not doing well with this.  I was running more and walking less, but going faster.  My overall was 12:44, but that includes my first mile which was 14:20 - I almost exclusively walk the first one.  I want to run some of Piney No Whiney with Lisa in January.  I don't think she walks as much as I do, so I need to make some adjustments pronto.  Slower and longer is my goal.

Katie Kitty is no better.  Called the vet and he said to give it one more day, though I am not hopeful.  Don't expect to see any changes in Petunia, so no biggie there.

Work was DEAD yesterday.  Deader than dead.  We saw ONE pet and made $20.  Guess people spent all their money on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  Though Sunday we were swamped.  Strange.

Not a lot else.  Race Saturday is forecasted to be 75 and partly sunny.  MUST remember to grab my hydration vest.  Cupless race.  New race too, so we shall see what it is like.  2 low river crossings.  Blech.  Even though I do enjoy trail races, I do not enjoy wet feet.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, I would go out for a run, even if you can only have chicken broth and jello and other such things. How about Popsicles, can you have those?

Diane, I do a lot of hiking in trail "runs" too. Will look at the races you mention. June 9 is often Shadow time but this year they may not be able to use the regular course because of a fire so this might be the year to skip it...except Pinelands as well...sigh. I need to win the lottery!

Good point that sometimes it's perception and people can perceive experiences differently -- but in many cases it's a power issue. And I don't know many women who haven't at least feared for their physical safety on occasion. I don't think most men comprehend having to be cautious, like going to the restroom in groups as women so often do and men never think about, nor do they understand that women are often afraid of being attacked.

Liz, I would recommend spending time with children of various ages before you make a decision one way or the other. You do have some time, you're barely 30. But glad he was sweet when you cuddled him!

Cathy, if your DD is anything like my DS, she stopped believing a while back but has no intention of admitting it because she doesn't want to jeopardize gifts! Also often oldest kids don't say anything because their younger sibs still believe.

Laura, I had to laugh about you doing all the work and then your work partner complaining because you do all of it -- if she doesn't think she gets enough to do, there's a simple answer: STEP UP! Good luck with the possible switch.

Formal names? I go by my full name. I have resisted Tess and Tessy all my life and have no intention of adopting a nickname. And it's not short for Teresa, or Contessa, both of which people have tried to stick on me.

Judy, snickering about the image of the deer settled down on the couch watching TV. I have never heard of an Amber Alert for a pet. And around here when a pet goes missing usually it's thanks to a predator or a car. Somehow I doubt the coyotes answer their cell phones. Like Karen, I'm on Nextdoor and there are missing pet posts frequently -- one woman reposts every missing pet post from Facebook's local lost and found pets page.

Sandy, yes it is warmish, high 40s to low 50s, LS tech shirt and shorts weather in my opinion. But Greyhound Lady wraps up warmly. If it is over 80 at 4:30 AM (and yes it can be here!) she might wear capris, but she usually has on long sleeves 9 months out of the year. I don't think it's a religious thing since she doesn't have her head covered in summer and she will sometimes wear short sleeves if it's very hot.

When is registration for Twin Cities marathon? DD is going to work in Wisconsin for a year since she won't be able to get a California license until she does, and the friend she plans to live with is in Eau Claire so not that far from the TC..

No, you don't want to do a colonoscopy if you don't have to. That prep is time consuming. I was very happy when they gave me the option of pooping in a bucket and sending that in. (And so glad I do not work at that lab...)

Lisa, hot Krispy Kreme is at the turnaround? Glad you found a running route that isn't all concrete. Don't carry any money if you think you might give in to the siren song of the hot glaze. Personally I don't like Krispy Kremes much so can easily pass those up.

Damaris, great race report! Sorry about the potty stop at mile 25. That is bad timing. However, better to lose a few minutes than to cross the finish line with a load in your shorts. Hope Bugsy feels better.

Kathy, enjoy the wedding and Mexico!

Kat, maybe pack socks in your hydration pack for after the last water crossing so you can change into dry ones? Good luck with the race.

4 this morning. Since it's a class day I can leave a little later, so I went to the next light. I don't think RN got up at all.

Oh, and on the ringworm situation, the fungus seems to be retreating nicely without the lime sulphur baths. Gwen and Hrhiow get treated with topical cream twice a day and the little scales are almost all off Gwen's ear, both of them have fur growing back where it fell out. All four get half a pill once a day, we do have to grind it and make a suspension for Fernanda but the rest of them have pills shoved so far down their throats that they can't spit it out. Some furious kitty swearing ensues but the pill is gone where it's supposed to go.

Anonymous Guest

Why yes, I did just google "how long does it take for jello to set" and the answer is about four hours. It has only been two dammit.

I ran 4 super easy miles just because. I don't know if I'll feel like running tomorrow afternoon and I don't want two days off. Normally running kills my appetite for awhile, but this time, oh no. No it did not.

Cathy, Santa.......I wouldn't be surprised if she was hedging her bet - if there's a chance he's real, you gotta go ask. I think I quit believing pretty young (5 or 6) because I overheard my older brother and sister say something about it, and I didn't want to look like they knew more than me, so I said he wasn't real. So then everybody just assumed I knew he wasn't real and quit trying. On the prep, I had the gallon of stuff last time and it was miserable. I couldn't get through it and I was a mess. This time I have two small bottles to mix in a glass of water a few hours apart. Hopefully it's better. When DH did his a couple years ago, the impact for him was no where near as violent as mine.

Kat, so sorry about the kitty. Poor little thing. BB looks like it will be nice this year. I have a couple friends running it as their first 50 so am hoping for good weather for them.

Think I"ll go have a cup of broth. Sigh. I love food.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel