Womens Running

More Coffee on Monday- Supermoms (Read 363 times)

superspike113

Honorary Old

RR: SRD, ran the last 3 days in a row and hit >20 mpw for the first time since September last week, and it felt great. Hoping to keep up the momentum despite getting new snow each day.

BR: Can say Waffle and its really cute. Dropped him off at my boss's house for a little while last night so DH and I could go to dinner. He stayed up about 30 minutes late and I had to go and wake him up at 7 am. I don't know what his deal was but he cried for about an hour last night around midnight. I went in and patted his back and he calmed down, but got wicked pissed when I left.

FR: Went out for mexican last night- chile relleno nom nom. Was a good girl and got whole black beans instead of refried. Tonight is that asian food I've been saying I was going to make for the last 3 days.  Oatmeal  with raisins, craisins, flax, wheat germ, and maple for breakfast.

NRR:  Getting excited for Vegas!  Talked with our realtors last night, for now we just extended our contract to 2/5/13 to give us more time to ponder it. So far we are planning on sticking with our realtor, but I think we will just  sign a 3 mos contract and have them add an exclusion for in case our builder wants to buy our house private party.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

superspike113

Honorary Old

armama- my kid loves bananas too- he usually eats a whole one every morning. I still need to learn how to change a bike tire. I took my stroller to the bike shop and had them replace the tubes and put in thorn shields and I haven't had a single flat since then.

leela- My boss is going to Thailand in less than 2 weeks and he's never eaten Thai food- he's not very adventurous, so I'm a little nervous for him. Plus he's allergic to shrimp.

cx2- Canned green beans and ripe diced fruit were the first things I gave R for self feeding. Plus those puff jobbies that just melt in their mouths.

jmmiller- if you have a walmart with a food center nearby, their price (at least where I live) is better for blueberries than even costco.  At least you are fast enough to even consider 2013 miles. My highest mileage year was 1000.. but I didn't run much the last 2 mos because I was in my first tri and exhausted.

shelbyjo- Your DH is handsome- he has very dreamy eyes Wink   That would be very hard, you are a strong woman for living the life of a military spouse. I'm a jerk and when we were in HS, DH mentioned he was thinking about joining the armed forces and I told him if he did it, have fun without me because I wasn't sticking around for that life, so he never pursued it. He has served our country pretty well as a volunteer firefighter and reserve police officer though.  I hope H has a great first day- is he enrolled in a large daycare center?

Erin Leigh- Has it been a while since she's had a growth spurt? I was one of those kids that would get portly, then grow a few inches and thin out and it appears R is going to be the same.  I think all you can do is be a good example, offer healthy choices, and encourage exercise. Is she a couch potato- prefers reading/drawing/watching tv to playing outside? You might have to start enrolling her in sports to keep her active if she is- I was totally that way.

CA- cute about M and her "husband". DH never likes what I pick to watch on TV so I always let him pick (other than movies) because I just don't care enough to push the issue.

On to page 1

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

ErinLeigh

Thanks Terry and SpikeSmile  She does love to watch TV and do art projects like drawing, but she also likes to go to the playground and ride her bike.  We just need to provide her those opportunities b/c she won't push for it on her own.  Terry, I agree about the food.  I have been thinking about higher fiber type snacks that would keep her full longer.

5K:  25:52; 10K: 57:53; HM:  2:01.10

jmmiller

JenBlush can totally relate to your post about DH.  What has helped us is scheduling some time just me and him.  A date or just time at home together when the kids are asleep.  Their nap time on the weekend has been a good time or we go on a date.  Its hard to fit it in sometimes but it has really helped.

5K - 21:44     10K - 44:54     15k - 1:09:37     HM - 1:39:05   Marathon - 3:28:48

superspike113

Honorary Old

BR2- I forgot to say that this weekend was our first weekend of doing 1 nap a day. R was in a better mood, but I dislike being tied down to our house for the whole afternoon. I like the flexibility of two naps more.

Runnergirl- This will be my first full workweek in 3 weeks, then I have holidays/vacation days the next two weeks Smile Sorry about the early mornings.  Reid isn't very enamored with the corn popper for some reason. Loves to bang on the xylophone though.

zorbs- lol at your ass twinge. Your FR sounds delish. I am sad that our asian market closed Sad

Ernie- LMAO at your car! That sounds like my highschool/college car. When DH and I were in HS, he was driving my car through the mcdonald's drive through and leaned hard against the seat back while digging out his wallet and broke the seat so it wanted to lay all the way back. I jerried it by jamming bits of pencils in the gears that controlled the seat position and drove the car like that for 2 more years.

Bermy- I want to run another marathon someday but just don't know when I will have the time/energy to train. Half Marathon training this fall kicked my butt and I only peaked at 28 mpw.

Costco QOTD- Condiments. DH eats so much that i buy 2 of the 3 packs of ketchup every time I go, plus energy drinks for DH. Allergy medicine, diapers, TP, wipes, canned green beans, canned tuna, Gillete Mach 3 turbo blades (The savings on this item alone is enough to pay for our membership in a year), saran wrap, precut foil sheets, ziploc bags, Garbage bags (awesome deal there too!), spices, Clif bars, Cheese, ground turkey. Oh they have the Kirkland roasted turkey breast meat- if you buy it sliced its like $7.99/lb, but if you buy the whole unsliced breast its only $3.99/lb and it works really good for salads, soups, sandwiches, casseroles- its over by where the precooked meats/dips and stuff are.

Jen- that sounds really hard. You guys should pick a weekend to drop off J with a family member and go on a weekend getaway- I think it would be therapeutic to your marriage. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just time for you to reconnect. Our trip to Vegas will be our first weekend that's just the two of us since R was born- 18 mos is a long time to go without any great QT with your DH. People grow and change, and they often don't head in the same direction. I hope that is not what is happening with you guys, and his schedule makes it hard to work on those issues. My DH is gone a lot, but he always comes home for at least part of the day, even if I'm not home or awake for it. We had a little talk last night because R has been rejecting him a bit, but I think its that R and I get into our own groove and spend so much time together that when DH is home, it almost disrupts that. It doesn't help that DH is always watching TV or playing on the laptop, he rarely gets on the floor and goofs around with R.

simon- hope you're having fun with your parents!

mer- woohoo for J sleeping 12 hours! Maybe he's growing. I'm really hit and miss with meat in the crockpot. The only thing that consistenly comes out good in the slow cooker, to me, is beans.

mzm- booo for sick kids. I hate taking kids with me to appointments. One of the last times I had ART R had a meltdown because I couldn't hold him while I was being worked on.

Marathonjen

CTimes - Sorry about the Single Parenting again.  Cute about C slurping her noodles.  J throws all his food on the floor.  He tests us all the time...looks at us and then tosses the food....grrr!  Great job getting up an running before DH left for work!

jm - I hope you get your run in.  Boo on working all weekend.  I think you shouldn't get too down on your mileage.  Some weeks you'll be able to run more and not others.  It is definitely a challenge!

Erin - Thanks for the advice and letting me know I am not alone.  It is helpful to know we are not the only ones.  DH is a great dad and I know he would do well with another but I know that means we as a couple get even further down the priority list.  How do you guys make it work with two?  I don't know how to get over my feeling of really wanting another though...I don't think I can settle on only having J.  I don't want to regret that later but I also don't want to come out with baby 2 and a failed marriage.  Ugh...why does it have to be so complicatedSad  Re: weight.  We have an issue with J being on the low end of weight and we were talking to the doctor about things and he told us when kids are overweight or parents are concerned about weight they only thing they tell them to do is cut back on the high fat dairy.  Choose 2% over whole milk and low fat yogurts/cheeses, etc.  I am sure DD is fine with her weight...she doesn't look overweight in any of your pictures and you definitely don't want to make her feel bad about it.  I think you are doing everything right.

Shelby - Cute about DH.  I have no idea how you can be separated for so long.  I guess I don't have a right to complain.  I feel bad for your DS.  I hope daycare goes well for him today and that he loves it.  J loves it so that makes it easier to drop him off.  Hope your run goes well on the trail.  I am such a clutz I always fall on the trails.  I have thought about counseling too but we don't even have time to get together the 2 of us how are we going to do that?  I am not sure DH would go for it either.  We definitely have the same fights over and over...say we will change, we don't , and then fight about the same thing later.  It is frustrating.

Leela - I did a running group through my LRS before I got married and loved it.  They created the training plans and there were always people to train/run with.  They did group runs on Saturday and speed workouts on Tuesdays.  It was awesome.  I should look into a group here once I decide to focus harder on running.  Good for you for getting involved and tackling this!

CA - Too cute about O giggling and laughing...love baby laughs.  Glad MIL is coming back and you can get some alone time.  LOL about M and her "boyfriend" fighting...kids are so funny.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Jen- I had another thought BTW. Someone older and wiser once made a really good point to me, and I try to keep it as a reference in my life. All to often when people have kids, they make their life revolve around them, when they really should be focusing more on their marriage and having their kids be a participant in their lives. Once the kids grow up and move away, all you have is eachother and a lot of times couples don't have anything in common anymore to keep their marriage alive.   DH and I go back and forth on having a second kid- DH is an only child and fine with just having one, I on the other hand am the one who pushes the issue on the second child.

running eh

Erin - just wanted to respond to your QOTD quickly.  My oldest DD has the same thing.  She is a big girl and she has a belly, but she has no rolls.  Does your DD have any issues with bowel movements?  My DD LOVES food, especially healthy food.  We did limit her helpings but what made all the difference was cutting back on dairy.  She was bloated, had gas and had terrible BMs.  I have slipped over the last while and things have gotten worse again, but we are back to dairy free now.

Marathonjen

spike - Great job on the mileage...enjoy your rest day.  Cute about R saying waffle.  Glad you and DH got out for a dinner date.  Nice of your boss to babysit.  When do you head to Vegas?  We were there for Christmas...I don't want to go back for a LONG timeSad  Glad you and DH can get away though. 18 months is a long time to go without a real get away.  We have had 1 night away and it was AWESOME!  It was like the old times.  But then we come home and fall into old habits.  J definitely rejects DH when he comes home after being gone...it is sad.  But then DH spends the whole weekend with him and then come Monday DH is gone and J is upset.  It is so hard on all of us but can't  be avoided.  We only have my In-Laws close by who can babysit and I am sure they would take him overnight but DH hates to ask them to do overnights.  Again...he would rather cater to them then have a date with me.

jm - Thanks for the advice.  We definitely need to just hang out during nap times.  We usually head for separate rooms which is sad.

ErinLeigh

Thanks Jen on the weight response.  DD actually has her 4 year checkup tomorrow (late b/c of holidays), and I asked DH to take her.  That way, he can hear from the pediatrician first hand what to do, if anything.  He will also hear if she is totally fine and in the recommended range.  We already do skim milk for her and not much dairy.  Re:  your other response, I definitely wasn't recommending against a second kid.  I wouldn't trade DD2 for the world.  It is just important to be on the same page about expectations.  We still aren't great about finding one on one time, but both of us have worked on adjusting our expectations.  I realized that things WILL be different than they were before kids, and he is realizing that he does have to do more for "us".  We have started emailing and IMing a lot during work when we are slow. It is silly, but we have the best conversations over IM now when we aren't distracted and end up flirting with each other sometimes.

ErinLeigh

Running eh:  So interesting!  She has NO rolls,  just a big tummy.  She drinks skim milk, but  ALOT of it.   At least 5 cups a day b/c she doesn't like any other drinks.  Interesting.  Her BMs are huge (sorry for the TMI), but it is always shocking.  I can have DH ask the doctor about this, b/c i have been thinking she drinks a lot of milk.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Jen- I went to Vegas in 2010 and said I would be fine never going back again. DH had already planned this trip for himself, and my travel plans to Denver fell through so I figure a Vegas vacation is better than no vacation. I don't drink much, don't gamble, and am cheap so its not really my kind of place.  I'm hoping this is a better trip because last time we went with DH's parents and they just wanted to take naps and whine the whole time. I know you don't have the best relationship with your inlaws, but why don't you just go ahead and plan around your DH? He might appreciate you taking the initiative- we would never go anywhere if I didn't plan it. DH was the one insistent that we go on a date yesterday but he made it my responsibility to find a babysitter. My boss's wife used to watch R for me occasionally and they have 4 boys aged 5-13 so I didn't feel weird asking them to watch R for an hour and a half.  Though, maybe your DH travels so much that the last thing he wants to do on his time off is travel? Either way, I think having the ILs take J overnight would be therapeautic.  Just think- you guys could have too much wine, have drunk sex, and sleep in! Wink

Erin- My college roommate "didn't like the taste of water" and would go through a gallon of skim milk every 2 days and wondered why she couldn't lose weight. I only let R have up to 2 cups of milk a day, the rest is water. Juice only when he's sick or as a treat. I'd say that would be a good place to start cutting calories if you are worried.

BermyHorse

Eh – thanks for writing on the forum. I really like reading about you and your life. Thanks for sharing even though it’s a stress cos of the kids and computer. I want to come to your house for dinner. We are going away on Thursday so I don’t want to buy too much food to keep fridge down.

Jen – I laughed so hard at the women and the treadmill comment. I thought that was hilarious. You’re like a very fancy magic trick “look what I can do” as they double blink when you hit 12m in 1.30. No advice from me on DH but big internet hugs and well done for saying what you think. That’s key. He has a few days to think about it which is a good thing. Hope he will come round. What is your TTC history?

Simon – jealous you have a mom who helps. So cute on peekaboo. Great description -  I could imagine what that looked like from the way you posted.

Mer – funny about you thinking of me on your drive - and what did your inner negative nelly voice tell you on my post this time? Flat tyre? Back ache? Grouchy kid?

Mrszm – hope your daughter is feeling better. My DS doesn’t say much – maybe a handful of words. DH taught him ‘zipper’ and now that’s all he says. At great pitch and volume with many giggles. Zoo here is pretty ropey. I have been to worse in the world. It is mainly open netted areas where all the animals (monkeys, lemurs etc) roam around freely and you walk through it whilst they are all around with no fences. It is very cool but I am sure not legal in the slightest.

Arm – before my stroller run I got DH to pump up my tyres. He googled bobs and tyres and a common complaint is that they need air every other day, or seem to. Your dinner sounds delicious. Good for you. I am excited for your Disney hm too. Come on, come to Nashville in April and run the fm CMM. You know you want to… yes to staying in touch with my coach. She is moving to Vancouver soon, she is just finishing building a house there.

Lee – I am super excited about you and the Wednesday speedy coach. How freakin fun. PLEASE report back with what you do and what you think about it!

Cx2 – nice on the help and company from daddy for the past while. And yey to self-feeding! That’s so fun for her. I bet it is a real treat to explore textures and tastes. When is your next race?

Jm – I am running just under 40mpw and it is no joke re. time. If you can crack out a double digit long run and a 8-10m midweek then I think it is less stressful. Also, I want my miles to be quality.

Shleby – good luck at class today, good luck to your little fella. Please gush all you like, it is very cute. I thought those tights looked good on you and they will give. You inspired me to do an abs dvd as I want a core like yours.NOW. The yoga for athletes is all about hitting the key muscles. It is not relaxing in the slightest, just getting the job done. It is not my favourite but DH put it on and told me to do it. It was cute as I could see me getting stiffer and said it would help.

Erin – I am cautious when controlling anyone’s appetite as I believe the individual can only know how they feel. I think it’s our job as adults to offer healthy food and the opportunity for exercise. +1 on what CA says.

CA – what were you studying? How are you feeling about your training? Thanks so much for posting your hm notes. They were superb. I think if I had a pace group and other women to run with it would make a big difference although my choice of flat asphalt and great weather conditions were just perfect.

Spike – I hope this doesn’t sound patronizing, but I am SO proud of you for your running. You sound so positive and motivated. It inspires me to run harder! Try doing your crafts in that one big nap – it is GREAT for getting longer projects done at home. When I started I had a long fm plan and one that had the lowest miles to finish. I started with a 30 week plan and built up really slowly.

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

jmmiller

Jen:  We do separate things when they nap and go down for the night a lot of the time too.  We have to specifically schedule out the time if its going to be "us" time.  Sounds lame and boring but it has really helped.  I also find DTD helps DH to focus more on us.  I don't have the greatest sex drive (thanks to BCP) but if I make an effort in that area he seems to react positively in the areas I need him to help out in.  funny how men and women are so different

Erin:  Sometimes I wonder the same thing about DD.  She was a huge baby.  She thinned out but still has the belly.  I think its just baby weight that is hanging around.  How old is your DD?

5K - 21:44     10K - 44:54     15k - 1:09:37     HM - 1:39:05   Marathon - 3:28:48

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- I actually thought about doing crafts during R's nap, but I didn't have inspiration for a project. Reid loves MInky fabric, so I think I might try to go pick up some new stuff on my lunch break since my office is located in the same building as a quilt shop (really I should just sew from my fabric stash...). Yesterday I cleaned and edited photos that I took of him while he napped. No, you aren't being patronizing Smile I like the support.