Womens Running

Pancake THURSDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 17 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Has anyone seen these Japan style pancakes?!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/fluffy-japanese-pancakes-3686850

My God...I want them. Now.

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me! 

A wonderful 9 hours of sleep. Only thing about sleeping that much is that I wake up more tired haha. Oh well.

Grandma bedtime tonight for my LR tomorrow. It's a MP pace run..so maybe I will play the MP time a little just to test... Wink Weather is going to be pretty perfect in the morning.

Anyone else get super hungry on rest days? I want sweets and carbs! Cake, ice cream, pancakes maybe some waffles! 

Run4kupcakes – When I saw Turkey Hill Classic I was going to ask if there was ice cream!!! I am the opposite – love early starts. Glad yesterdays run was better!

Docket – I laughed out loud – sweating like you were melting in an oven. Have a safe flight home today!

Karen – Okay, so reading your times gives me some hope haha - how awesome are you BTW. That's SO IMPRESSIVE – and VERY sweet of you to offer to pace me the first half!! I wouldn’t want to hold you back, though! I think it will come down to the day of. If the weather is perfect, who knows..maybe some magic will happen. Plus, I have a feeling you and Sandy will be in my ear telling me I can do it. I may be motivated. LOL. Oh boy my stomach is already nervous. What time do you need to qualify for Boston next year? Glad the ankle is feeling better. 9 hours of sleep – WOOT WOOT.

Tessa – Have you ran Fargo before? Nice miles the past couple days! Where are you headed? Are you feeling any better?

Happy Thursday!

DF got home last night. Finally. Monday he leaves for South Dakota to drive his mom home, but then he doesn't go back out to sea until June.  Poor guy. I coughed ALL night and neither of us slept much. I'm so tired of coughing.

Check y'all later

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh no Sue,  I hope you get better soon.

Lizzie, those pancakes look good but oh my the convoluted recipe.  You did fix my problem with what to have for dinner...pancakes!  I'm having pizza for lunch and then pancakes for dinner...not sure what I'll have tomorrow though.  Waffles for breakfast but may just get something on the way up to where the race is.

R4k...One reason I take Fridays off is to drive to where ever the race is and stay overnight, most of mine are 3-4 hours away and I'm not driving to a strange area in the dark.  I don't mind the early starts but the ones in the spring that start later are my favorite cause it's a little warmer.

Damaris, my new InB comes today!  Fastest turn around yet.  I think since the shorts and tights are gator print I'll wear one or the other depending on the temps at BB since the medal has a gator on it!  Safe travels.

Karen, how's the ankle?

Tessa, safe travels.

I was going to do another 4 last night but was having some weird niggles so rather than tempt fate I had eggs for dinner instead. Today I have a stupid headache.

Lizzie,  you could try a rail trail for your first trail race.  They tend to be flat and not technical at all.  Not sure what you have around there but MO and KS have several and course records get set there.  You could also come to Bravos Bend in December....it's flat.  If you do a semi technical one I'd recommend starting with 10k to HM just to get the feel for them.  But I'll warn you trails are addictive.

Seloc

Tessa – nice 9mi on a Tuesday!  Hope you got some miles in today before your meetings.  Seems like you’ve been flying a bit more lately.  Is this a busy time of year?

Karen – glad the ankle is feeling better!  Good plan to keep resting.  Hope you got another good sleep!  Oh boy, I BET DH was worried about you on your return flight.  So sad about that woman.  My heart aches for her kids.  Oh, and I’m pretty sure Fargo doesn’t have much snow right now.  They DEFINITELY have less than where I’m at.  Man oh man I SO want good weather.  More for you and Lizzie to crush this thing!  Loved your Boston numbers.  I did not know that about the bibs – you CRUSHED!!  I love how you beat the Kenyans, Ethiopians AND Galen!!

Damaris – your posts crack me up.  You would be fun to hang out with!  I’m bummed that finally you get to a place where the temperature doesn’t make you burst into flames but now there are darn HILLS to contend with.  Nice job getting the miles in on a hard, hot dreadmill with no movie motivation!!

HCK – LOL I’m ALWAYS waiting for the weekend – I hear ya.

Lizzie – dude, I strongly believe that you could totally go sub-4 at Fargo.  Given decent weather.  Why not just go for it?  So what if you blow up?  LOL – easy for me to say, right??  Honestly, though, if it were me and my training was going as awesome as yours AND had this chick from Houston willing to run half with me at pace I’d ditch the watch and go for it.  What is my favorite food?  Hmmmm good question.  I tend to eat functionally and really it’s whatever I end up eating when I’m super starving that is my favorite haha.  Or, anything anyone else cooks.  If only I could find an HCBF that loves to grocery shop and cook I’d be in HEAVEN.  I am SO not picky.  I forgot you asked about my Jeep – well, I drive a Grand Cherokee, not a cool Wrangler.  I bought it new in 2001 and it has almost 189K on it but I do still love it.  It will be a very sad day when I have to find something new.  I’m hoping to get to at least 250K and will definitely drive it until it dies.

Cathy – oh man, how did you fair with the snow??  It managed to stay south of me but I could see it swirling in WI.  Hope you had a great run this morning!!  That’s so awesome that DD is already inspiring others.  OMG that accident you were in sounds AWFUL.  That must have been terrifying.  So glad you were okay.  That is so funny your kids are building a town out of snow.  That would crack me up!  At least this time of year they can actually get out and play in it.  OMG I adore your DH for telling those kids to shape up!

Kat – awww, Kat, my friend.  I’m sorry you are feeling down.  I TOTALLY get it!!  SUPER proud of you for going to the meet up the other night.  It IS hard – especially when you are feeling down.  I’ve been there for SURE.  Awwww, go easy on yourself.  25K is still no joke!  And just think about all the fun you are going to have!!

Lizzie2 – I have NOT seen those pancakes.  They sure do look good!  I’d eat them if someone else made them haha.  Sounds like a LOVELY sleep!  I’ve been doing this weird thing where I wake up for 2 hours in the middle of the night and then am in a DEEP snooze when my alarm goes off.  I did NOT want to get up this morning.  Yes yes YES!  Play with that MP tomorrow – especially with perfect weather.  Dude, you are stronger than you even know.  And, yes, I AWLAYS eat more on rest days.  But, go for it – you’ll need it for your long run tomorrow.  Annnnnnnnnd let me answer for Karen – she needs sub-4 to BQ

Sue – glad DF made it home.  Whoa – that’s a long drive from SD!  Safe travels.  Feel better already, will ya?

Diane – sounds like some good carbo-loading for Sat.  You excited?

Dragged myself outa bed and did 8 COLD miles.  I swear it said 29* on my app but it sure felt colder than that.  At least it’s light out when I’m finishing now.  A bit too much walking to climb snowbanks and avoid ice but it’s done.  Ditched the fasties – just didn’t want to deal.

Pizza party was eh.  That is just one group of not so respectful kids.  And, like someone mentioned they might, they hoarded and scarfed the pizza.  Oh, and ALL of them showed up – even the ones that had “quit” in the last month.  I guess they have guts – I know I sure would not have ever done that.  Definitely not going to coach at this school next year but would consider elsewhere.  We’ll see.

Not needed as a youth track coach in my town (they prefer parents) but will help with the meets.  It was supposed to start Monday but has been pushed back a week.  Yes, the track is still covered in snow haha

Sitting on a career panel tonight at my college alma mater.  Otherwise nada.  Just waiting for the weekend!!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Wednesday I suited up for cold and went down to the park. The entrance to the trail was flooded over so I ran in the park (the part that wasn’t flooded). We’ve had loads of rain. I wish we could send it out west. I know that CO needs it out where DS lives. If I really want to do the trail, I can drive to another of the entrances to it.

Today I will do a workout inside. The wind howled all night.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Anonymous Guest

My ankle doesn't hurt when I walk although I can still feel an occasional twinge just sitting here. Another rest day totally called for. I slept a solid 8 hours (before and after my 5:30 wakeup for the dog). I didn't go to bed until 11:30 because I was almost done with a book and wanted to just finish it, but then didn't get up for good until 8. My whole body still just feels tired. Probably partly because of travel on top of the marathon. I was thinking I normally feel better than this by the third day after, but then I saw this 10-second video on facebook and remembered "oh yeah, I ran in that for over four hours." https://www.facebook.com/FloTrack/videos/10156399177094445/

I didn't take Riley to daycare today because it just seemed like too much effort. He's still a little clingy since I was gone all weekend, so he doesn't seem to mind a lazy day with me.

HCK, does the Turkey Hill Classic also have bike racing with it? I think DH went up and raced there before we moved, and when he came back and told me there was also running - and ice cream - I wished I'd gone with him and run.

Liz, as Sandy said, I just need to break four hours to BQ. To actually get in, I'd probably need 3:55-3:56. So my offer may be a little bit selfish - if I have a reason to run just under four hour pace at the beginning, I won't take off too fast and blow up. Totally up to you though, I know you don't normally run with people and sometimes it can be awkward. I did the Cherry Blossom 10 miler a couple years ago and ended up running the whole thing with an internet friend. I kept telling him to go ahead if he wanted (he's usually faster than me) but we were about at the same fitness level so he never did. I'd never really run with anyone before that, so I'd be wondering if I was supposed to be talking to him, because I really didn't have the energy to....anyway, there if you need it. I don't talk much when I race, and I walk through the water stops. Cindy and I actually learned we ran really well together when we ran in Georgia (which was the BQ I used for this Boston). We had not plans to run together but ended up doing so until the full split from the half.

Susan, glad DF is home. SD is a loooong drive, do not envy him for that!

Diane, ankle is better but not great. Still resting. How far away is your race this weekend? Are you going up tomorrow?

Sandy, 29 degrees? Geez, how you train through the winter is beyond me. The laundry alone....

Judy, great job getting out there this morning. We have been having fabulous weather here and I feel a little guilty not taking advantage of it, but then I remember I'm tired!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Oddly enough, DD was talking about having pancakes for dinner today.    3.5 on the TM for me this morning.  Too dark and icy to try to run outside at 5 AM.  Not that I seriously considered it, haha.  We got about another 3 inches of snow, the good news is that it should be in the 50's this weekend so it should melt.  I feel bad for all the birds that are thinking WTF.  

Lizzie, I have not seen that kind of pancake before.  They look really good!  I get the hesitation about putting yourself out there.  I am like you, I tend to go for the small improvements.    But I suppose there is something to be said about just going for it.  You never know.  But I do believe that a lot of it is in your head.  The fact that you are running well when you are uncomfortable is a huge step.  Cuz it's going to be uncomfortable!    I guess there's a few ways of looking at it, you run a lot of marathons, so if you go for it and you do blow up then it's OK because you have another one soon.  Or, you run a lot of marathons, so it's OK to try for the smaller improvements because you have another one soon.    Having Karen there to pace you is a huge plus though.  When I ran my half PR with my RB, we didn't really talk at all, but it was nice just having her on my shoulder.  It's hard to test your pace in training, due to not tapering and the recovery needed afterwards.  One way people test is to race a half marathon.  To run a sub 4 full, you should be able to run a 1:54'ish half.  The upside to doing that is that marathon pace feels nice and slow compared to half marathon pace.    No, I didn't talk to the other driver in the accident.  I think he just didn't see my car.  My friend had finished the race before the bomb went off.  So she was walking away from the finish line when the first bomb went off.  The kids have had one snow day this year.  Only because it was snowing in the morning and made it difficult for the buses to get out and pick up kids.  Usually they have snow removal here down to a science.  

Sue, nice that DF will be around for awhile!  Man, you really need to kick that cough!

Diane, hope the headache goes away!

Sandy, we got just enough snow to make driving in rush hour horrible!    My friend's dogs enjoyed it.  Northern WI has been hit pretty bad with the past 2 storms.  Nice job with the 8 outside!  I put away my super warm running clothes.  I refuse to run in cold.     The snow is playing havoc with the spring sports, softball and soccer was supposed to start this week.  Glad the pizza party went OK.  It would be nice if you could coach for a team with girls that really want to play VB.  

Karen, you definitely deserve to rest as much as you want.    I suspect you would be fine to run with.  I don't like running and chit chatting.  If you can do that, then you aren't running hard enough.  

Kat, I hope you are feeling better.  It sounded like you have been down for a while.  No disappointment, just do what you can.  It still has to be fun.  

Cathy

ginnyb

3 miles on TM again this morning, snowing like crazy when I left the house  

Kats....sorry you are feeling so down.  I forgot to mention that I am not going to do that race in Waco, hope you aren't disappointed.

Feel better Sue.

Diane....is the inkburn comfortable?  I usually don't like tight fitting , but it depends on the material, if that makes sense.  I love the designs and have been almost ready to order something.

Sandy....I wouldn't want to coach at that school again either and I can't imagine attending  an  end of season party after I had quit the team!  Really???

Liz...with Karen with you the first half of race, I totally believe you could reach your goal, depending on weather conditions.

Speaking of weather condtions, Cleveland is May 20th, watch it will be snowing up until that weekend and then be like in the 80's for the race, in which case I will be walking.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

dhuffman63

Trails

Karen, this one is the farthest at 4 hours away.  I'm driving up Friday and staying through Sunday.  I don't like to drive home that far after a race especially since it will probably take me 8 hours.  I'll go to packet pick up and then find something to eat for dinner.  It's such a small race they don't have the pasta feast like the bigger ones do.

Ginny I normally get the skirts with the compression shorts under.  I did get the water shorts and they aren't tight.  I think the Alli ones will be like compression shorts but I'm ok with that.  If someone is offended by my clothing choice at a race then too bad for them.  I've seen less on people.  I love the InknBurn but try to limit myself cause it's a little pricey.  Lasts forever tho.  Oh and no shame in walking...lol.

Sandy, actually yes I am.  Not thrilled with the weather but whatever...since I've never run in the ran before I'm thinking of it as an adventure.  I'll dry and get warm eventually. Those girls sound just awful.  I wouldn't go back even if they paid me.  I feel for their teachers.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Susan – Glad that DF is home!

Diane – Man, now you got me wanting pancakes. I am more of a French toast girl myself. HMMMMM But maybe I will make French toast for my post run meal tomorrow night! YES. I just made up my mind haha. EDIT - Well now I am craving tacos. LOL. You are doing a good job carb loading! They do some trail races around here…I just have to get the balls to sign up for one haha.

Sandy – WOOHOO nice job getting out there!!!! I know its hard for you right now  Smile Well, hard to get motivated. Glad the pizza party went okay. I wouldn’t have the balls to show up to a party after I had quit the team. What the what?! I would say give coaching another chance, just at a different school maybe. What about older girls?? Really cool about helping with track meets! That will be fun! I feel like they might cancel the season this year the way your Winter is going Wink I guess you are right – no big deal to blow up haha. BUT I have hit the wall and it SUCKS SO BAD. When I asked your favorite food – I thought you might say popcorn WinkI think Grand Cherokee’s are cool BTW. You know my dad had a Honda Accord that had 350,000 miles on it. YUP. And when he bought a new car he SOLD it!!! Crazy. We are a Honda/Acura family. So you are waking up for 2 hours and just tossing and turning? UGH that is weird. I am usually in a deep snooze when I have to get up – you know what helps? I jump out of bed. LOL. I know, I am crazy..but I do jump. I know if I hit snooze I will turn over. Yeah, im weird. Thanks for the sweet words on being able to run a sub 4!  Smile We will see what happens. OH so you know I could cook for you and Karen when we are in Fargo if need be! LOL  Smile

Judy – Windy here too today!

Karen – Uhm, you are exactly right why you are still tired, silly. Take all of the rest days you need – WELL deserved. Okay, if the weather is perfect and I decide to go for it – I will take you up on your offer! THANK YOU!!!  Smile You said the magic words. I wasn’t sure if I needed to talk the entire time hahaha. Like Cathy said, its going to be hard so I am not sure if I will be able to hold a conversation LOL. But, I think it will be comforting knowing you are right there Smile I don’t care if it is for selfish reasons - We will be helping each other!  Smile

Cathy – Nice treadmill run!!! Man, it makes me happy to see that Smile You make some solid points about running a lot of marathons  Smile I think its going to come down to the day. I got so lucky with weather at Newport News..it could very well be that Fargo weather will SUCK. Haha. Now I am thinking, when will I have an opportunity to have Karen pace me again?! Haha. It would be getting me out of my comfort zone..but then again so was PR’ing by 11 minutes  Smile Well see! Your kids would love it here..they get at least 10-15 snow days. Sometimes they close school when its too cold.

Ginny – Nice treadmill miles! I am sorry that your Winter is never ending Sad No Wako race? Awe, that is too bad. ORRRRRR because your Winter has been longer maybe that means a COOL Cleveland race Smile

Oh hey, its almost bedtime. LOL. Picking up my Ruger buddy and going home soon! Have a great afternoon everyone!

dhuffman63

Trails

Lizzie, try volunteering at one of the trail races so you can see what they are like.  Some will give credits for volunteer hours so if you decide to do it the next year you have credit towards it.  I got 50% off at PS for next year for my 4 hours of volunteering. Plus you get to meet people and see what it's like.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Upper body strength training & core. My work had a fundraiser at my favorite cupcake place, so stopped by there after work for cupcakes & cookie dough.

Ginny, I am debating a May 12 half. I fully expect it to be 90 degrees. I think we are skipping spring here this year.

KatS, take care of yourself. As far as doing the 25k, this is supposed to be fun, and I would think that would be plenty of a challenge since it's not flat.

AnonymousGuest, yes, Turkey Hill also has bike races. It sounds interesting, but even getting a hotel, I just cannot do a 7am start. Maybe I could on the west coast, but here, nope.

DHuffman, there usually are plenty of races close by, just not a big selection of halfs. 8am starts are fine. I just don't do well with earlier.

Lizzie, there is a 12 hour race in Chesterfield, VA in the spring. Looks like it already happened this year.

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  Quick post.  Got home at 8pm on a long ass travel day.  Kitties were excited and I took tomorrow off.  Yay me.

RD for me, of course.

Training went well and both my closing arguments got a rating of excellent.  I had two bosses of other offices tell me I was a great advocate and that they hoped I would consider a boss position soon (I don't know if I want that responsibility for the same salary, ha).  but it's nice to hear people say that.  They made me watch the videos of my two arguments and yeah, I have to say, I see it and I can't believe that's me. LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page