Womens Running

Keep going WEDNESDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 19 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Halfway! Except for you lucky ones that have Friday off. 

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

9.2 speed work miles for me. I did 12x .30/.20 rest. Then 3x .20/.20 rest.

Tough interval workout. Whew. But it was good! I felt a lot better than yesterday Smile My legs were just dead tired. Body Pump was tough yesterday. I had a few intervals in the 8's (which is where I wanted to be) but most were in the low 9's. I was fine with that since my legs were super fatigued.

Warmth is coming today. Looking like my LR on Friday is going to be HUMID and rainy. They are calling for thunderstorms so hopefully that holds off at least until I am done Smile

I have so much to do today since I was in a meeting all day yesterday. Blah!

Tessa – I didn’t realize your DD got a sign on bonus. That is pretty awesome. OMG on your fall yesterday! Glad you are okay! Hope the knee is feeling better today.

Kilmisters – Yup 40+ dudes. If you include the other Richmond site in that count – probably around 70. Only 3 females on the VA accounts. Crazy, right? Maybe that is why we don’t have much girl drama going on. HA. No, really..its engineering based so that is why it is more male heavy. Electricians, plumbers, etc. Though how awesome would it be if they hired a female engineer!! Nice run last night! LOL’ing at your DH. Did I ever tell you about the running date I hate once? I met this guy at the gym – he was a spin instructor – I would always take his 5:30am class. This was before I was really into running. Well, one time he went with me on a run. I smoked him. It was a route I have taken many times before but he obviously hadn’t. I just didn’t feel like I had to wait for him? LOL. Looking back now I realize I probably should have HAHA. I never heard from him again after that Smile

Diane – YES! The big huge foam rollers hurt but I prefer those. They are easy to maneuver. Everytime I use that tennis ball Ruger thinks we are going to play Smile I know that you asked the treadmill question to Damaris – BUT I can say personally, my stride is different on the treadmill. I guess its not bad to switch it up sometimes. I need to do more of that. Maybe you need to switch to some outside runs once in a while?

Carol – Good luck on that 20 today! I am jealous of your semi-retirement. I have a very long way to go….If ever.

Susan – You have a lot of wedding stuff covered!

Karen – When I read your post last night I got exhausted. LOL. I hope you had pizza for dinner..yum. I am laughing picturing you running with a bag of books Smile I would love to see that picture of your DH on the hike!! That is hilarious. HCBF wouldn’t even have made it halfway.

Run4kupcakes – Oh MAN!! Sorry about your oven! Of course it would happen when you in the middle of making something. WOW  a 28 year old oven?! I am surprised you were able to even find ANY replacement parts. Haha. You are lucky!

Happy Wednesday!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Tuesday I was short on time (and it was pouring rain) so I did 45 minutes on the TM. After that DC and I did 3 hours of volunteer work at the library.

Today I must go to the grocery but I may try and go outside to run before that. Later today, DC and I plan to go to a favorite store where they sell gently used furniture, pictures, etc.

Safe and happy runs, All!  

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Good morning!!! Dog walk + core this morning.

Diane--I have one of those grid foam rollers. There are also youtube videos on how to use.

Ugh. Midterm eval today. Wish me luck.

dhuffman63

Trails

I'm hoping I can soon...I'm a fair weather person and the weather has not been pleasant Lizzie.  If I lived in a subdivision then even tho I hate road running I'd do that but where I live it's mostly gravel/dirt roads and barely wide enough for the trucks everyone seems to drive to pass each other.  Granted not much traffic but what there is seems to be composed many of maniac drivers.  One lady who leaves around the same time I do and drives a huge black SUV passes me on hills and I'm doing the speed limit.   Once it gets warmer I'll use the road on Sundays as they all seem to be at church.  Or I can go to the next town over and use the 1 mile paved path through a "park" they have.

I have a broken oven also.  It came with the house and the heating element has been screwy from the beginning.

Judy it rained all the night before, and all day yesterday.  I'm rather sick of the rain.

Susan, I'd like to do the Gulf Coast HM but I have the Brazos Bend 50 scheduled for Dec and I'm trying to be somewhat smart and only do one "race" a month.  Maybe next year altho my dad's not doing well and if something happens my mom will probably move over by my brother in FL, no reason for her to stay in MS as she doesn't have friends or family there.  I'd l like her to move up here but she doesn't want to live in OK...and I can understand that...lol.

I managed all of 3 miles last night but really wanted 6.  I'll see what Th is like.  For you marathon plus runners how many 20+ mile LRs do you get in a training cycle?

Here are my thoughts:

1. I have a trail marathon on Apr 21 (roughly 3 weeks away)

2. Considering the PS 24 miles as a training walk with the back issues and the AS it took 7:39

3. That put me at 34 mpw

I'm considering doing a 25 mile this Sun as my LR (remember I'm not fast and I'm walking not running) and expect 8 hours time on feet for that.  Course this it all dependent on how my back feels.

Seloc

HCK – oh no on the oven!  OMG I have never seen sparks – I would have been a bit nervous about that.  And of course it’s when you are in the middle of something.  What did you end up bringing for brunch?

Karen – oof, I’d be tired, too!  Hope Riley let you sleep in this morning!!  Sounds like a really fun trip.  What sort of books did you get?  I follow Mirna on Instagram – she’s inspirational and funny.  She’ll be at Boston!  I laughed at your story of DH on the hike!

Sue – wow, sounds like you are super on top of the wedding planning!  Yay!  Good luck on your eval!!

Elina – of course you choose the hilly route LOL  Super excited for your trail half!

Tessa – oh no on the knee tweak and then the fall!  Sure hope it didn’t worsen the knee.  That’s great that DD is getting all settled.  So nice of her bro to assist.  Such an exciting time for her!  And now you have a cool new(?) place to visit!!

Diane – sounds like a good plan you have in place for addressing the back woes.  How is your back feeling now?  I usually have 3 20milers on the schedule but that allows for life to happen and if I miss one or have a crappy run and dial it back on that day, there is room for adjustment.  I’m not nearly as disciplined as Lizzie!  If I were you, I’m not sure I would go that far this weekend with your back.  Your fitness is already there for a marathon.  But, I’m not a Dr or coach so that’s just my 2 cents.

Lizzie – awww, HIIT isn’t that hard while you are doing it.  It’s the next day that it takes it’s toll.  Gramma is sore today!  Haha  Interval abs sounds FUN!  Wow, awesome awesome run this morning!  I bet those little leggies were tired.  Okay, I’m a bit jealous of your warmth but you can keep that humidity.  I will be running in cold with possible snow.  I know you wanna trade haha.  OMG I love LOVE that story about your running date!  Hahahahaha yeah, a dude that couldn’t handle a girl smokin’ him is NOT the dude for you.  That Ruger is so dang cute!!

7 mi this morning.  30* wasn’t bad.  Cold front on it’s way – in the teens for Easter.  The poor little kiddos in their Easter duds will be chilly!!

Drum roll please…  we actually won a game last night!  Not a match, just one game and it was close 25-23.  Then they fell apart in the tie breaker.  Oh well.  They really played well with many of them actually getting the serve over the net.  The little rascal from Monday turned her attitude around, too.  Cracks me up when they do something well and try not to smile.  Thanks for the validation that I handled the drama on Monday okay.  I’ve never been a parent, I’m not very nurturing as well as being a bit of a hard ass so...  Plus, kids are SOOOO used to getting their way from what I witness.  Just doing the best I can, I guess.  Practice tonight.  Sooooo ready for the weekend already!!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lizzie, you smoked a date?  Poor dude!  Nice miles today.

Judy, I hope you find stuff to your liking today!!

Sue, good luck on your eval.  Yuck.

Diane, take it easy for a few days since your back was so bothersome.  Give it a chance to get better so you don't hurt it again.  When I actually train for a marathon, I would do 3 20's.  Now I barely run and just wing it.  No wonder I DNF and suck at them!!  Hah. 

Sandy, wahoo on the win!  That is great.  Nice miles for you as well.

It is BLACK outside right now.  The rain is coming down in buckets.  The thunder is rumbling.  I don't think we are going to get hail, the bulk of the storm apparently moved through already.  My poor old dog Syd was petrified again last night with the thunder/lightening, he was sleeping on my head for part of the night.  He is a bit nervous now too as we are getting a few rumbles still.

Did my taxes yesterday through Turbo Tax - couldn't figure out one aspect of mine which pissed me off.  But such is life. Owed, a lot.  Bummer.

Sure as heck no run today in this mess.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 7 and weights for me tonight.

Liz, nice run.  In PR, everything would close from tonight (even maybe this morning) until Monday.  But instead of going to church, we would just go to the beach or camping or drinking.  LOL.

Judy, good luck with the run and grocery shopping. I need to go as well.

Susan, good luck with the evaluation!

Diane, I find that I don't necessarily need many 20 milers for marathons (as I used to), so 18 most of the time is enough for me.  For a 50K, I would do the same as for marathons and just run 18-20 but not necessarily a lot of 20s and use the marathon you have as your longest run for it.

Sandy, nice job on the run and game!

Kat, stay dry!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Seloc

Damaris - totally cracking up at the partying instead of "observing" the religious event the way the church would prefer.  The Catholics have always had the reputation of being good hearty drinkers.  Myself included!!  

Kat - awww poor nervous pupper with the storms!  Kinda funny - the alarm this morning made both me and the kit kat jump haha.  Normally I think I start to stir before it goes off so he does as well.  Sorry about having to pay the government.  Although my moderate return went directly to paying the city for the frontage road near my house.  I keep telling my running friends that I am getting us all a new road!  haha

Anonymous Guest

Gah. I slept in until 9 because I am still exhausted from travel. I wanted to get a short run in before these angry-looking storms hit, but then DH reminded me that a warranty guy is coming to fix a crack in the pool. Between 10-2. And DH just left for a meeting in the office, so guess who has to stick around the house in case the guy has any questions? Also, sadly, my legs are still a little sore from hiking on Monday (it was hilly!). So now my plan is to bike inside this afternoon and do strength training. I fell off the strength training wagon when traveling so am a couple workouts behind. I did take a bunch of pictures while hiking with a bag of books....hmm, maybe that's why my shoulders and neck are a little sore too - the bag of books. Here are a few:

Would have been great running, but since a) I had a bag of books, and b) I had nowhere to clean up as I'd checked out of my hotel and just left my bags at the front desk, so didn't want to get all gross and sweaty and stinky and then have to be like that the rest of the day and night while traveling. I wish I'd had more time.

HCK, I read your post and thought 1990? That's not too old. Oh wait, yes, yes it is. Since I graduated from college in 1989, anything 1990 or later doesn't seem like very long ago. Just a couple years. Sigh, or almost 30.

Lizzie, you are doing a great job of slowly building back up. I ramped up pretty quickly, which is probably another reason I'm tired. But then I have to squeeze another marathon in there before Fargo. I was hoping to do a 20 this week, but I can tell now that's not going to happen. I'm pretty sure I'm going to run Boston easy, just enjoy the crowds and make it more of a long training run for Fargo. Well, since I'm posting pictures, I went and found these from that hike with DH a few years ago:

Good morning Judy and Susan!

Diane, my initial thought is I'd just make the 24 miler last weekend my longest and do a long, slow taper. Maybe cut back a few miles from that this weekend, then a few more the next, etc. Or even do a bigger cutback this coming weekend, then something between that and 24 the next weekend, then cut back if an almost 4 week taper seems too long. (maybe something like 16-20-14?). Just my first thoughts, not speaking as a coach, just someone that's tired from hiking earlier in the week, so take that for what it is.

Sandy, I got an email from United, they changed my flight out on Sunday from leaving at 5:something to 4:20. That should still be okay, shouldn't it? If you think it would rush us too much getting back, I can try to switch to a later flight.

Good news, the guy showed up right at 10, so if he's pretty quick, I might still be able to get a few miles in. Rain and storms may not hit until almost noon.

Okay, in the time it took to do this post, probably a bunch of people have posted. So I'll be back later to catch up.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Happy Wednesday!  Speaking of male dominated workplaces, it has always been that way with mine.  I was always one of the few female engineers, let alone one in a lead position.  Once there was a potential client coming that had asked if we had female engineers.  A manager came by to make sure that I would be here and in my office so they could come by and "view" me.  Which they did, they led them by my office and they all walked by to look at me.    

Lizzie, wow, nice workout!  And after Body Pump.  That is awesome!  Haha, that is pretty funny about the running date.  His loss.  

Sue, good luck on the eval!

Diane, 25 miler in training, wow!  I haven't done an ultra, so I can't say much.  I did notice that McMillan uses time vs mileage on his 50 mile plan.  His longest workout is 3-5 hours with the last 20-30 minutes faster.  Not sure how that translates to run/walk.     I do read some blogs where people write about DNF's and the issues they had during ultras.  Caroline Boller, who is a champion ultramarathoner DNF'ed Brazos Bend.  Granted, it was the 100 miler, but it shows that it happens to the best.    I think that it would be hard to not alter your stride on the TM.  It always feels very unnatural to me when I get on the TM after running outdoors regularly.  I am always slower on the TM until I run on it regularly.

Sandy, congrats on winning a game!  That is great!  I think a lot of kids these days are used to getting their way.  Unfortunately.  You did the right thing.  And honestly, if the girls can't remember the proper shoes then their parents need to get on them.  Younger DD would remember, but I can see older DD forgetting them!    Older DD burst into tears the other day, very unlike her.  Hormones.  

Karen, welcome back!  lol on the back of books while hiking!  Do you really think Elina's trail half sounds fun?   

Carol, yes, my foot issues is residual PF.  I was able to do runs up to about 7 miles but it would still bother my foot.  So I decided to cut back and see what happens.

Tessa, I hope the knee is better!  Ouch on the fall!

Elina, the trail half should not be a problem for you.  

Kat, sounds like some scary weather!  At least you got your taxes done.  We owe a lot also.

Cathy

dhuffman63

Trails

Cathy, I've read some of those blogs and race reports too, of course they are typically 50 or 100 milers and even some of the best DNF.  The one training plan I saw from ultra ladies has a Wed 10 mile run along with shorter runs on T & TH with the max LR of 24 miles.  They build to 50+ mpw but I can't do a 10 mile mid week run as it would take me about 2 hours and I'd be pushing recovery.  I'm able to get 4 runs in a week.  I will start with some cross training on Wed up a the gym (elliptical, arc trainer, bike) along with adding in some strength work on Wed and Fri....Mon has to be total recovery since my LR's typically are on Sundays.  I think that's all I can push my body into doing but will have to watch my HR to make sure it's not spiking.  Having Grave's sucks.

Karen, I cracked up about the hiking pic.  That's how my DH looked at a water stop during the 10k we did.

Kat we had storms too and 2 of my dogs like to cling to me when there is thunder...to move I have to peel them off me.

Sandy how awesome you won a game.  Glad little miss attitude came around.  I ended up taking a couple of Tylenols this morning.  If I move around it warms up and doesn't hurt but oh boy bending over first thing in the am makes me cringe.  I'm making an effort to get up and move more here at work.  Plus I've done my yoga stretches the last 2 nights and that helps.

Kilmisters

Diane, FWIW, I do feel that TM alters my stride. As for LR, as Sandy said, be careful! 8 hours on feet is s---load.

Sandy, wow, congrats on the win! You see - it's not all that bad Smile Baby steps, baby steps! This time a game, next time - the whole match! I bet the team was happy about their progress. Seeing improvement is the best motivator. Even if it's coming in small increments.

Kat, is Syd a big dog? You probably didn't get much sleep given his, uhm, location.

Cathy, come by and ''view'' you? Like an animal in zoo, sheesh! Big grin If I were you, I'd sarcastically smile and wave the whole time. Or make a sign ''YES, I work here''.

Lizzie, well, the industry explains the split of employees by gender, but still... Believe me, men can create drama in a waaay larger scale than women. So, the whole female drama thing sometimes feels like a stereotype. You running date reminds me of how mom beat my dad in her first ever marathon (it was his 20th or smth)... She had trained in handball before, but still Smile And, no, you shouldn't have waited for him - if the dude has self-esteem so low that a simple thing like that (you passing him) can affect him, well... Not worth your time Smile When I start the sports talk among guys who don't know me that well, majority of them feel intimidated (that a girl is more knowledgeable in 'their' field) and only a small share (the most intelligent ones, of course) enjoy the conversation.

7mi work-home. Superbusy day, so totally needed it (the same way I need that damn 4 day ''weekend''). Picked an alternative route through the woods and didn't regret it. There's still a crapload of ice/snow there at some parts.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

LOL Elina...my last 50k completion took 12 hours...the Hawk trail marathon was 11 hours....8 would be a breeze compared.  I thought I could get a 9 hour 50k at Prairie Spirit and it's possible I might have under better conditions....but I think that also put some additional stress on me so the rest of the year it's going to be just get it done and only worry about cutoffs (and the ones I've chosen have generous cutoffs)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I keep thinking tomorrow is Friday....

I am trying to up my water intake. Ugh, I think it is contributing to my calf tightness/cramps. I am awful about drinking water. Why? Because I seriously might as well just sit on the toilet all day! LOL. I pee every 5 minutes! You're welcome!

Judy – OOO furniture shopping sounds fun!

Susan – Hope the midterm evaluation went well!

Diane – Driving to the 1 mile paved path sounds like a good idea. Do you have subdivisions around you? Or ones that are close enough to drive too? I would run in those, too. Nice job on the 3 miles! As for the 20’s…I normally shoot for 4 on a normal training cycle. If the training cycle is shortened (like the on im currently in) I am shooting for 2. I am mainly doing them for lots of miles though. Plus, now that I have done so freakin many it doesn’t seem like a big deal anymore haha. Not sure I would do one before the trail marathon – how long are you thinking of tapering? I guess you could do a 25 mile this Sunday and then taper. Depends on how long you normally rest!

Sandy – Woohooo!!! CONGRATS on the game win!!! Glad the little rascal turned her attitude around, too. One of HCBF’s sisters is one of those parents that let their kids do whatever. The way their son talks to them..NOPE. If he were mine, he would get a slap across the face! Maybe this is why im not a parent? Haha. I can’t judge because I don’t know what its like…but I do know if I ever talked to my parents the way he talks – NOPE. My dad would have taken out that spatula! LOL. I feel like HIIT is hard when im doing it! LOL. That is a good sore though! I get that way after body pump. It never hits me until about 4pm though. I guess because that is like 24 hours? I don’t know. And yes, I would trade weather any day. OH and how could I forget? Nice miles!!! Smile We will be cold again next week – YES!!! Smile Paying the city for frontage road near your house?! How does that work!?

Kathryn – You do not suck at them all!! You stop saying that. Awwww poor Syd!! Sorry that you owed for taxes Sad UGH. I used to owe big time when I waited tables.

Docket – Okay, I am LOL’’ing at the alternative to church! LOL. HCBF’s mom and dad always go on Easter. Last year I went..but that was only because I wanted them to like me LOL. HCBF wants me to go this year..but nope. I feel very uncomfortable there. I won’t go into details..BUT maybe while they are there I will go  drinking. Wink Good luck on the 8!

Karen – Okay, laughing out loud at your DH!! LOL. He looks exhausted. Wow, that is a pretty hefty bag of books!  No wonder you are sore Smile Hmm..taking Boston easy. Not sure I believe you.Smile Either way..easy running or racing..you know better than most of us – that experience is probably like no other! At least Fargo will be flat racing SmileIs DH coming with you to Boston??

Cathy – Oh, so they had you on display? LOL. That’s funny. Its easier to work with dudes, right? I sure think so! Plus, if I ever need the guys to do something for me I just bake them something or bring them candy. LOL. I also feel very unnatural on the treadmill after all the outside running. And I am slower, too! How old is older DD now? Are you leaving on Saturday for vacay? Are you driving?

Kilmisters – COMPLETELY agree that men feel intimated by women who talk sports!! Even I do LOL. And its not my field hahaha. Nice miles today!! Woohoo one more day for you!

Have a great evening everyone! Have to run an errand when I leave here but then snuggling with Ruger!