Womens Running

Why Monday?! WHY (DAILIES) (Read 21 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

9.2 speed work miles for me. I did 15x 1 min/1 min recover. Abs tonight!

Well, this was the last "Spring" run. Had to bust out the gloves!! It was 35...but Summer arrives tomorrow with no end in sight, so, I guess its here.  The good thing about it being warmer is that I have some some really cute sleeveless work tops. LOL. OH..the run was good! Nice and cool! I woke up in the 3's again today thinking, its taper why am I up so early? But dropping 20% of mileage still has me at 50. Next week a little more sleep!

I could have used another day after the babysitting. It really wasn't that bad - but I am not used to kids. I am the youngest in my family and our extended family is VERY small....so its all new to me. I am awkward around kids just because I dont know what to do with them. They behaved, they were just hyper..always wanting to eat chocolate or candy...and need to be constantly entertained. I PHRASE all you mommies out there because..NO. I could not do that EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Phew!

Not looking forward to being here today with f***tard...his boss said he would speak to him regarding the issue last week. Who knows. I am going to come in here, do my job the best I can..until I can get out of here.

Run4kupcakes – Oh man. Nice job in what sounds like, awful conditions. Has that ever happened to you on a course before? Being so dehydrated you were getting chills? That is scary!!! You ran that race very smart! The POP issue would piss me off and so would the people cutting in line. OH also the traffic!! You shouldn’t have  had to slow down to let cars pass!!! UGH annoying. Sorry it was not your day Sad Sounds like the organization needs to get their act together. I laughed when you said that it was “gag inducing” when opened. That happened to me at the Houston race. Like, gross…someone must have..nevermind I don’t even want to explain it. I just tried not to look, squatted and got out of there. LOL.

Karen – Nice 11 yesterday!! I guess the ankle is feeling better? I was thinking the same thing when I was reading your post – it is too early for hydration! Well, tomorrow is going to be May so I guess not. Brunch sounds good! Awesome about your neighbors wanting to do another race. Do you have a Fall race picked out for the baby runners to train for?

Margaret – Nice 10 yesterday. Wow an 18 and then 10?! You ultrarunner, you Smile Very productive weekend! My car needs an oil change, want to come change mine!? Smile YES taper begins this week!

Lisa – Congratulations!!! That’s an awesome time..phew sounds hard haha. Good for you for hustling at the start..I always worry about doing that and then crashing at the end. You did great!! Ouch on your knee! Those pictures on Facebook make it look like it really hurts!! Can you walk on it now? Poor Katie! I hope she is feeling better today.

Happy Monday!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Thursday turned out to be a good 50 minutes running out the trail. A new wildflower is now springing up in the park where the trail starts. Probably a seed, blown by the wind.

Friday was classes :Tea (very good history class, actually), Ghost hunting and then Yoga. The tea instructor gives us tea bags sometimes. One of them made almost 2 gallons of tea. Normal size bag, but large tea leaves instead of the dust we get at the grocery. Yoga was a very restful, easy going class.

Saturday was SDO and waiting for a donated chair to be picked up.

“This little piggy had none.”

Sunday I ran my foot into a chair leg and broke 4th toe on right foot. I looked down and it was pointing the wrong direction.  Off to the ER.  Longitudinal break close to where toe joins foot. No runs for a week but I can walk.

Today I call the podiatrist to set up probable re-x-ray in a week, etc.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Swim day! Pool swim felt great. I haven't been in a while--good to be back.

Took DD's family supper, frozen choc chip cookies and homemade biscuits to bake.  They are doing well. Sweet Ann Marie was sleeping so I didn't wake her.

Judy---Oh no!! So sorry about the broken toe! OUCH!!!

Lizzie--I want more weekend too!!

Have a great day!!

ginnyb

Sorry I was MIA all last week.  I did something to my back and couldn't move practically all week.  I just don't get back problems and I have no idea what I did to it.  I worked with trainer on Monday and was fine, as the day wore on I got a little niggle in lower right, like it needed to crack, and steadily got worse.  Saw a massage therapist on Tuesday, which helped some, but pretty much out of commission for the week.  It is much better and I ran 3 miles today and felt good, but now the niggle is back in lower right.  I am great as long as I am standing or moving, but after I sit it is interesting.  I don't know whether to see the doctor, which I am pretty sure will do nothing except prescribe something , or just wait it out.  Supposed to have that Half in 3 weeks, not looking good.  Didn't come here and read or anything because I am depressed about this.

I did read on FB about Damaris and Lisa's accomplishments this weekend.  Congratulations to you!

I will be back later, just wanted to check in.

Today it seems like Spring too!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

dhuffman63

Trails

Sat

MAY 5

Partly Cloudy

81°54°

20%

NW 10 mph

44%

UV Index

Sunrise

Sunset

Moonrise

Moonset

8 of 10

6:26 am

8:21 pm

12:42 am

10:44 am

Sunshine and clouds mixed. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 81F. W winds shifting to N at 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 79.

This is the National Weather Service forecast.

Migraine on Sat was one of those where your head hurts so bad you just want to throw up. Took a couple of Excedrin Migraine on an empty stomach which made me feel numb.  That worked as we loaded the truck with some more items to move up to the little house and was able to make the late lunch with DD and GD.  I so love seeing the two of them.  Not a baby person but I can’t help enjoy being around GD.

Sue, tell her your concern about being around too much. I had DD in Germany and had no one except my ex-husband so I understand.  I’d love to be over a lot but at first they lived in CO and now it’s still a 2 hour drive.  Course DD asks me all the time when I can come down again.  Congratulation on the AG win!

Karen, I have a great deal of concern about time based training at this point. It took me 90 min yesterday to do 5 miles.  So a 20 mile run will be 5 or 6 hours.  The one plan I sent you has at least two 24 milers and based on the 24 miles I did at Prairie Spirit that took 7:30.  I think I’m going to have to find a way to start running again but in a way where I don’t hurt myself.  Maybe one day a week I can use that as speed work and do a run/walk.

HCK, that’s insane…5 POP’s for that many people. I don’t expect them at trail races but holy cats for a road race you’d think but if it’s a first year they have a lot of learning to do.  Congrats on the finish!

Lizzie when they are your own you set the rules and that makes the difference. Glad you survived. I hope something gets through douchebag's head that he can't act that way.

Oh no Judy, hope the podiatrist helps. Heal quickly.

Lisa, OMG your knee looks awful. At least I just scrap mine up when I fall.  Of course moving at my turtle pace my falls aren’t quite as bad as say someone running.

Ginny, my back issue started after I hit the deer…didn’t feel any problems until the PH 5 days later at around 20 miles. If I sit too long it hurts like yours…my massage therapist isolated it to my psoas and has been working on that.  There are some stretches you can do too.  Mine is probably related to not having a strong core even though I can feel the muscles there and they feel strong I need to do more work.  I imagine that’s not your issue and I found neither the DR or the chiropractor to be much help, mainly cause I don’t want to take pain meds.

I think I have the pre/post race blues as I’ve felt down the last few days. The Flint Hills has a photographer but there’s not a single one of me and it alternately makes me sad cause I feel as if they didn’t take me seriously since I’m not a runner and angry cause I paid just like everyone else and I finished within the time and even had a PR for me for both the marathon and 50k distance.  It almost makes me want to give up and then my stubborn nature kicks in and that’s when I really get angry. The RD was nice as can be and no one acted as if I didn’t have a right to be there…the ones I saw out there were nice as can be but I’m not doing that race again anyway so it really shouldn’t matter.  End of the pity party.

I did manage all of 12 miles this week. I so don’t want to hurt myself before Saturday.  I was wrong about having rail trail runs…PS was one but Flint Hills and now Heartland are hilly.  Not technical though.

Damaris, I think the Alli shorts will make an appearance as the current forecast is going to be warm, thank goodness for my warm office TM training. Congrats on the marathon.  Boy Howdy hills!

Anonymous Guest

Good morning! About to head for 7 miles. I read this from our local weather guy this morning: "After this morning, I’m not sure we’ll see another overnight low in the 50s until September or even October." We have had a beautiful April, but hot and humid for months is on its way to stay for awhile.

Neighbor couple wants to join the running group this summer! I told them I'd set up a neighbor discount code when registration opens. She said they definitely are interested because they want the accountability of a group. This makes me so much happier than it probably should, but not only am I getting two more runners in the group (I really want to grow it this year), but it's two of my OG baby runners.

Lisa, great job on the 50K! How are you feeling today? Other than tired, that is. You've got to be tired. How's the knee and the other painful parts?

Liz, agree. Kids are not awful and can sometimes even be entertaining and fun. But they are exhausting! For the race, I'm going to try to steer them towards the races we picked as targets for the group, so it will be a sorta local (another suburb about 1/2 hour from here) half in November that is well organized and has really good and easy logistics. And if they want more, either Houston in January or the USA Fit one two weeks after. There are other races, but I hope they go with one (or two) of these - it's nice to have the people you've been running and training with to hang out with before the start, especially when it's your first one and you're nervous.

Judy, ouch on the toe! I'm glad you can still walk on it.

Susan, yay on the pool day. This is the summer I get decent at swimming. I know I've said it before, but this time I mean it.

Ginny, oh on on the back. I hope that whatever the heck happened is over and you get back to normal quickly. I wish I had some advice or some way to make it better, but I got nothing.

And it's already 9 o'clock - I guess I missed the last of the 50s. It's 73. At least it's not super humid. I guess I better go run.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Ginny, sorry about the back! It affects everything else the body needs to do.  :::hugs:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Seloc

Lisa – WOW, great race!!  Loved the report.  Ouch on the fall!  Good plan to take it easy for a bit.  Pinelands is coming up quickly!!  You have GOT to be exhausted today.  That was one crazy busy weekend.

Gatsby – nice running this weekend!  Almost mileage twins on Sat but I only did half of what you did yest.  Sounds like it was pretty noisy at your house.  What do the birds think of that?

Karen – awwww so fun to see your baby runners get bitten by the running bug!  Brunch sounds fun.  How are the legs feeling?  Yikes on your long-term forecast.  Now it’s your turn to whine about the weather!  I wanna join your running group!  Have a great 7!

HCK – loved the RR.

Lizzie – oh dear on the kids this weekend.  Sounds like you need a day off to recover!  OMG, it was 57* here this morning, thunderstorms and supposed to get to 80*.  I can’t believe it’s chilly where you are.  But then summer.  I know, not your fav.  Ugh on the Mammel.  I’m soooo sorry you have to deal with that.  Great run this morning!  You are a mileage BEAST.

Damaris – congrats on the marathon!  Oof on the hills.  Glad you had fun.  I was wondering if you went to see Fiona.

Sue – congrats on the Du!  And even bigger congrats on the grandbaby!

Tessa – awwww glad the kittens are doing well.  Fat and sassy makes me laugh.

Judy – oh no on the toe!  That must have hurt like CRAZY!  And what a bummer on the no running for a week.  Heal fast!

Ginny – oh no on the back!!  That does NOT sound fun.  Glad you are getting some decent weather!!

Diane – wow, another race on Sat – that’s awesome!  Are you feeling ready?

5mi yesterday, regular rest day today.  A GORGEOUS weekend up here in the north.  Spent lots of time on the patio and have a nice little tan.  Also drank too much beer.  Carb-loading early?  I guess I don’t hate running quite as much as I did the last two weeks.  She’s just so fickle!!  I did NOT want to work today either but here I am.  Track with the youngsters tonight.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Happy Monday!     Got 5.25 in outside Saturday and 4 this morning.  Yesterday DD and I volunteered at the water stop at a 5K/10K/20K trail race.  The race is called Bear Trax and there is a guy that wears a full bear costume and runs the 20K.  The water stop was at the top of a hill where the runners come up on some winding single track.  I was at the top of the hill to direct people to the water stop so I had a good view of the runners approaching.  I could see the "bear" coming so I warned the runners.  One lady apparently wasn't too happy about the prospect of being passed by a guy in a bear suit, she said, "Is the bear really coming?"  Yep.   

Lizzie, I'm glad that you survived the weekend.    Yes, kids do tend to be loud.  Particularly when there are a number of them.    I'm used to it.  DD had a couple friends over and I was sitting and reading a book.  Her friend at one point said to DD, "I can't believe your mom can read a book with all our noise."    I'm good at tuning it out.  When my kids are alone they aren't too bad.  If they do get bad I make them go outside.    Sorry about the issues with Mammel.  Hope his boss talks to him!  Nice run this morning!  Only in the 30's here this morning also, supposed to be in the 70's today!  Congrats on the mileage PR!

Judy, sorry about the broken toe!  Hope it heals quickly!  I can't drink tea made from leaves in the powder form.  

Sue, glad that DD and GD are doing well!  My co-worker brought her new GS in to work last week.  So adorable.  I love babies!    Congrats on the AG win!

Ginny, sorry about your back!  I'm glad it's better, hopefully it continues!

Diane, looks like it is warming up!  I have a lot of respect for anyone that tackles a tough race, no matter how they plan to accomplish it.  The walkers are just as inspiring as anyone else.  I was talking to my friend that ran Boston and she is thinking of doing her first 100 miler.  She has a friend that walks them and she is planning on doing it with her.

Karen, just to remind you how much of a badass you are, I talked to my friend that ran Boston this weekend.  She actually got off the course for about an hour and sat in a aid tent to warm up.  One of her friends, who qualified with a 3:15 time (she is 50), called it quits at about mile 7 with hypothermia.  I suspect she may have been way underdressed, she likes to run in a tank top in any weather.  

Hey Sandy!  I missed you!    Glad you got the tan going.  It's warmer there than here!     Carb loading is important.  

Lisa, congrats on the AG finish!  Ouch on the fall.  I hope your knee is OK.  Yeah, I think you can taper now.  

Margaret, nice miles!

Kupcakes, congrats on another HM!  I hate it when a race doesn't have enough POP's.  I can't believe all those people that cut in line!  Rude!

Kat, thanks for the pic.  

Damaris, sounds like a tough marathon.  Congrats on marathon #400.  

Cathy

Lizzie-congrats on surviving the babysitting! and they may have been hyper since they were eating chocolate and candy. LOL Some people like to say that is nonsense, that eating sugar won't cause kids to be more active. Well, this is the wrong group of people to take that stance with. Ha! What do we do when we start to have lags in energy during a run? We eat straight sugar/carbs. And mammal has been written up by me.

Judy-OUCH!

Sue-you are a good grandma and mom!

Ginny-don't stop posting when you feel badly, someone might have suggestions! Like... don't sit. 

Diane-on the time based training.. I do think the plans make assumptions on pace. But like all training plans, the vast majority of the training, IMHO, is to get the runner to accept and believe that they can keep going for long periods of time. The mental part is the biggest thing as long as you give body recovery. This is why we're alway reading about people saying that they "know what the distance feels like" so don't train close to that distance. Then again, ask me after the 100k how that theory worked for me. As long as I move around and don't actually touch knee it feels okay.

Karen-tired yes. going to restorative yoga tonight.... ahhh... legs up the wall and lots of props to support parts that don't bend. I'm pleased with the overall time/effort. 14:59 min/mile pace for that trail is what I might get typically do when running half the distance so for overall was good and the last 5 miles was spot on since it was 5 miles in 1:15. Might be proudest of the last five miles and the fact that I wasn't passed by anyone after maybe mile 9 or so. Only in the last couple of miles of second loop when the faster 50k runners were coming to their finish line but that makes sense. I still had the five mile loop to do... although the clueless ones that passed and said "almost there" were annoying. LOL

Sandy-it was a great weekend! You spent is well!

Cathy- too funny about the bear costume runner.

Lisa

dhuffman63

Trails

Found out today from the RD that the photographer "missed me" and didn't get a picture....am I wrong to be upset by that?  I never take good ones but they prove to me later when I'm feeling down that I did something hard for me.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Pilates for me.  Glad I took today off since we arrived...today after midnight from all the delays and cancellations.  I visited airports that were not even on our route.

Back from KY.  It was hilly AF.  Comparable to the SF Marathon.  Oh, well.  I was done by Mile 11 and that when the really bad hills start.

Liz, nice job on the speed.

Judy, oh, no!!!  Hoping you can get it fixed soon.

Susan, glad you are back.

Ginny, hoping the back feels better.

Diane, nice runs.  Warm?  That's like...hot.

Karen, hoping your 7 went well.

Sandy, nice 5.  No chance to see Fiona as we flew from Indy this time.  Waahhh.

Cathy, nice run.

Lisa, congrats on the race, beast!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Found out today from the RD that the photographer "missed me" and didn't get a picture....am I wrong to be upset by that?  I never take good ones but they prove to me later when I'm feeling down that I did something hard for me.

My husband is famous for being invisible to race photographers.  But bummer. I've had that happened to me before and it sucks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Living the dream over here...

OH..guess what we found in the bed this morning? A TICK! Obviously from Ruger. Eww...I have been feeling crawly all day!

Judy – You must tell us more about this ghost hunting! Sorry to hear about the toe!!! OUCH!!!

Susan – Awe, sweet of you to take DD and family supper!

Ginny – Oh Ginny, sorry to hear about your back Sad I am glad it is finally feeling better and you were able to run today! I would suggest going to see the doctor. Maybe an ortho? Just to see what they have to say.

Diane – Sorry about the awful headache. Glad you were still able to enjoy lunch! High of 81 this Saturday?! AHHH that is too warm! I guess you will like that though Smile I am sorry that they weren't able to capture any photos of you! Thats a bummer Sad I don't think it was intentional because you are a walker. There have been a couple times I have only had 1 photo! Random and weird. Sad You finished and you PR’d..and that’s pretty darn awesome and you should be pretty damn proud of yourself!

Karen – Summer is here! YAY for your neighbor couple wanting to join the group! This makes us ALL happy Smile  I loved Cathy’s comment to you Smile  See, still a badassSmile Hope you had a good run!

Sandy – Nice miles this weekend! Jealous of your patio tanning!. I have some really cute skirts but can’t wear them yet…I am too polar bear. LOL. You were cracking me up last night! Track tonight!? Let us know how it goes!!!

Cathy – Yay!!! Nice miles this weekend!! Laughing at the bear costume!! Wasn’t it a bit warm for that?? I don’t know how you could read a book with all that noise! I was trying not to get a headache from them screaming and running up and down the stairs. LOL.

Lisa – Funny, the kids parents don’t even feed them sugar. That is why they go crazy when they go to other peoples homes! They want ALL THE SUGAR. Good luck with the yoga tonight!

Docket – UGH on arriving home so late!!! Enjoy your day off!

Out of here soon! Woohoo!