Womens Running

Wonderful Weekend (over 40) (Read 20 times)

Anonymous Guest

Post em if you got em.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

I was up early this morning since it was 59 degrees and there was a 5K less than 10 miles from my house. It was the final race in the Women's Distance Festival 5K series. Each of the running clubs in the area does one over the course of the summer. They are a lot of fun, and several of the clubs will use their race as a "graduation" for their 5K program. Some of them do mother-daughter awards, most have random drawings in addition to a pretty deep prize structure. It's kind of a feel-good thing, but it's not in-your-face, pink everywhere, chick racing.

This was a nice, flat course so I was interested to see what I could do. I think I could have PR'd if I was rested. Considering I'm running high (for me) mileage right now and ran a marathon on Monday, I'm ecstatic with my result. I ran pretty even splits (6:55, 7:05, 6:59, and 6:22 for the last bit) and finished in 21:42, only 14 seconds slower than my PR. That was good enough for 3rd place overall, which got me a $25 Target gift card in addition to a stainless steel water bottle as the race premium and a tech tee for another race as a random prize.

Damaris, hope Hershey is doing okay!

Tessa, I'm sorry you are going through so much crap. I am praying for you and your family and sending virtual hugs. I wish there was more I could do.

Well, Jake doesn't seem to realize that I've already done my run today - no whining for a walk. I guess I'll surprise him and take him. Not sure what else is on the agenda for today...probably clean out my closet. And more stuff outside, because it is so beautiful out. Supposed to be warmer with more humidity tomorrow, so of course that's when I have a 21-miler on the schedule.

karen

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.1. Just got hair cut now off to do errands

Karen nice race!  Silly Jake!  Quincy knows today is Sat. He was positive he was going somewhere and had Hammy all riled up too.  he know Sat is typically pool. So disappointed when I left without them!  But we had cancelled pool because of Hammy surgery (which he didn't have) but also dh is working and I had a hair appointment.

Tessa it did get saved (the file) after I tree recorded it)

Lisa I like restorative yoga.

Hi Gatsby

Marjorie

Happy weekend!  Glorious day here on the coast.  Sunny and warm (70's), one of those rare days when beach-goers actually want to go into the water.  I ran 15.3 with DH this morning, partly with my RC as well.   Today I am planning on being somewhat lazy, perhaps do some yard work, maybe watch baseball or college football.  I have to do some real work tomorrow so I'm enjoying myself today.

Karen, great race!  You are so speedy.  Nice prizes too.

HI Marjorie.  I hope the haircut was a success.  Poor pups, sounds like they do like their puppy pool (is that both of them?)

Greetings to everyone else.  Have a great day.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bikerchick1

Where is everyone this week-end...must be enjoying the Wonderful Weekend Smile

Karen - Nice job on the race today!  You are a running machine!

Marjorie - Too cute that the dogs know it is Saturday and think they are going to the pool!

Gatsby - Glad you are having great weather and had a great run!!1

Did a local Half Marathon this am, was fun!  It was put on by a major Cardiology group here it was called "Run for your Heart", to benefit heart disease awareness.  Probably about 175 in the half, and 400 in the 5/10 k.  Felt very safe....there was an AED every 2 miles, and I couldn't believe all of the medical/EMS/police support.  Didn't have a PR, missed by 1 minute - but figuring I did 20 Monday/5 wed/7 thurs, I was really just going for a long supported run.  Ended with 2:09...I'll take it.  The course had 3 out and backs, crossed a couple of bridges - coming and going, and the roads were in pretty bad shape, so was quite an odd course...but was only 20 minutes away, the price was right, and RB and I had fun Smile

ginnyb

No run for me today, but planning on a longer run tomorrow morning.

Just talked with DD and she told me she is up to run/walk 3 miles now!  I didn't even know she was pursuing it seriously.  Wants to be able to run a 5K without walking by late Fall.  We run about the same pace, so would be so fun to do a 5K with DD!    Tentatively planning on  the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.

Karen.....I think you done good!!!  Especially after just running a marathon for heaven's sakes!

Carol...in my dreams I would do a Half in 2:09!  It's all relative...

Had my hair cut today.  Tomorrow are softball games again with GD's, and one GD is turning 8 and birthday party later in the afternoon....good times!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Bikerchick1

Ginny - That is so awesome that your DD has started to run!  How fun would that be to do the Turkey Trot together!  That would be my dream if either of my DD's would run....of course it is not their dream... so I do this....Tight lips  Enjoy  your run tomorrow, and then sounds like a very busy family day!

Carol

Happy Saturday!

It's cider mill time here in the upper Midwest so dd and I went for a walk on the paved path in State Park close to the cider mill. Okay. Truth be told. I incentivized (bribed or blackmailed are such negative sounding words) her to do the 1.75 mile walk with me with a trip to the cider mill. 1/2 gallon of cider (dh wanted a gallon but I'm not going there), dd got a spiced donut and cider slush. I just had a small glass of cider. Love cider mill time even if I don't eat the donuts. And by going this early in the season it will feel like much longer.

Walking in the woods just makes me feel like I've totally missed this summer. it's so weird how a season doesn't seem to have occurred because I haven't been out pre-dawn in the woods, drenched with sweat at 5:30am, or apply deer fly tape. Seriously, this feels like the summer that never was for me. Not looking forward to winter having not experienced summer. I hate to whine but do want to make sure that all of you don't take your runs for granted.

Knee felt about the best that it has today so of course I had to go for a walk. Will be good tomorrow and rest it again. Feel it now. Have PT M, W, F of next week.

Sigh.. was Run Woodstock yesterday/today. Miss pacing or just being a part of 3 days of love, peace, and running. Sigh.

DWD coming up and this year the medal has a built in bottle opener. Nice touch and quite fitting or the event. Maybe they'll do it again next year. Sigh.

Karen-congrats on 3rd overall.

Marjorie-poor pooches.

Gatsby-no we wouldn't want to put an end to my knee although there have been times. There I go being a trend setter again. I'm sure that it has more to do with the demographic of your friends than some seismic shift.

Carol-sounds like a pretty nice half. out/backs can be sort of frustrating but you do get to see lots of faces.

Ginny-speaking of all being relative...in my dreams I would run a 5k at your pace. that is pretty neat about dd! mine is doing the Detroit half and is thinking she'll run the first half then walk the rest since she has knee issues when she goes over 6 miles. I'll wait until closer to race day but will throw it out to her that she can accompany me if she wants to. No clue if I'm still going to line up at this point but who knows, it is a whole 6 weeks away. Sigh.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Gatsby. Quincy doesn't swim but he loves to go. Hammy is the swimmer.  i did errands too. Target and also Lowes. Got the tile for the laundry room. Dh needs to call our contractor guy. I told him I wanted it done.  So I went and got the tile, grout etc.

Marjorie

Went to Gulf Shores, AL for the Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon.  this was an intermediate distance, 1.5km swim, 25.9 mile bike and 6.1 run.  Rode up with the gals last night.  Got a late start so we missed packet pickupSad  We stayed at a friend's condo, which was very nice.  We called when we were close and she said it was condo 2403.  When we got to the condo, I had to go up first--my bike was on the roof rack and had to be taken down before they went into the parking garage.  Buddy said 2304.  Took all my gear and bike up the elevator.  I knocked and knocked, rang the bell....decide to try 2403, which was the correct condo.  Our cell phones didn't work in the building, so I was trying to contact them and they were trying to find me.  They went up to 2304, rang the bell several times, and this old man finally came to the door.  So they realized they had the wrong condo number and went upstairs to find me---wanted to make sure the old guy didn't kidnap me.

So early this morning we loaded up and went to the race.  Great parking spot.  Then one of the gals realized she didn't have her ID.  Then the other gal can't find the car key....at least the driver had a spare key.  Went back to the condo, got ID, back to the race.  Parked out and scrambled to the packet pick up.  They gave me an XL t-shirt.  Sad  I said no, I don't want that.  That is all they have, unless you want this nice purple shirt (leftover from last year).  I said no, I want the green shirt.  Then the lady says "What is wrong with you?"  "I haven't had enough coffee and I want my green shirt!", I blurted out (I know I sounded like a four year old).  How about this green men's small?  Bingo!  Better than the XL.  At least I can wear it.

Other friends were at the race numbering station and wrote our race numbers on us with sharpies.  They had number tattoos, but we didn't have time to apply them.  Got set up in transition just before they kicked us out.  Walked to the beach.  The swim course was two loops around the bouy marked course, and after you swam one lap you had to get out, run down the beach and back in for lap number two.  I was not too keen on this and really didn't want to get back in the water a second time, but I did.  Current was pretty swift and I really had to fight to stay on course.

Bike course was fine, I did ok over the Perdido Key Bridge and the only rough part was through the state park---so much traffic!!  A big dually passed really close to me--afterwards a guy caught up with me and told me how close the truck came to hitting me.  Yikes!

I really struggled through the run.  It was hot and I was out of gas.  Walked the water stops and poured ice water on myself which really helped.  At the three mile point another young woman suggested we slug it out together.  Was really good for both of us to have company and encouragement for the last three miles.  I was so happy to cross the finish line!!  I was 5th in my AG of 5. I don't care.  I was so happy to be finished!  Sunburned and two blistered toes from the wet socks but ok.  Cleaned up, ate lunch and came back home.  I slept the whole way.

Sorry this was so long--it was quite an adventure.

One of the gals stopped to do some shopping on the way home.  A young man came up to her and said he liked her tattoos and wanted to know what they meant.  He was referring to her race numbers written on her arms and legs with a sharpie!

camille2

Carol, nice race time, esp considering a long run just days before.  Sounds like a nice race!

Karen, awesome job as usual. You're our forum star!  Nice race goodies.  Thanks for the shoutout, btw.

Lisa, I was debating whether to go today or skip when I read your message. I walked half of it, but am still glad I went. Thanks for the reminder. I'm sorry you missed summer. You'd think these bodies of ours could at least blow up in mid winter when it's ugly out and not in spring and summer! I still slogged thru a lot of the runs in July and  Aug, but  they were struggles and in July, that was about the only thing I did.   I missed our nicest weather, and it was the nicest summer in years. I want to rewind. : ) I'm hoping your knee improves quickly. It's overdue.   Enjoy the cider-I love it.

Tessa, hope you had a nicer day today.  Take care.

Marjorie, nice miles again!

Gatsby, nice miles!

Ginny, that's exciting about your daughter!  I love hanging out with my DD before and after races.

Sue, congrats!  It  sounds like an adventure. Scary about the truck!

I need to get back to sorting and packing. Some of it is kind of fun. I emptied the storage unit in Fairbanks and am sorting through old pics and paperwork.

ginnyb

I felt not good this morning when I got up at 5:30.  Wanted to get up at 4:30 for one thing, but obviously I did not do that.  Felt very sluggish this morning, hemmed and hawed for about an hour on whether I should even go run (really did not feel myself), but decided to go anyway.  Felt absolutely awful for the first 3 miles, not much better the rest, but I did 10.  Kind of feel proud of myself, because it really was pretty bad the whole time, but I did it!

Lisa....came back and read your post and now I am really glad I forced myself to get out there this morning.  We do have to appreciate each run we have, no matter how awful it feels.  Sorry you feel like you missed summer, but I understand what you are saying. Love that cider mill and I would have had a donut or two!

Sue.....you had quite a day!

I am so excited about maybe running a 5K with my daughter!  Hope she sticks to it.

The REV triathalon is in town today.  This is the one that Karnel did two summers ago, makes me feel sad, sometimes still can't believe she is not with us.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

21.5 miles. I didn't leave as early as I wanted but early enough to not die in the sun getting most done before the sun was blazing.

Ginny good for you sticking out for 10. Also hard to believe it is close enough to Thanksgiving that it has almost been a year since Karnel died!

Sue seems a lot with the race. Yokes on the truck. At least you got a better shirt

Carol great cause and nice race.

Lisa I miss going to the cider mill!  It is still blazing hot here so doesn't feel like fall so I can't get too nostalgic for cider

Camille hope packing and sorting go well.

Marjorie

HI!  Ginny--Good job on the 10 miles!  I was going to bail this morning but running buddy Randy texted me at 0545 and said he was going to run over here so I got up and went with him.  Did 6 miles.  I was dragging, but tried not to whine.  He kept a good pace.

Ginny--some of my friends are up there for the Rev3!  Small world!

Stil in brain fog -- overtired from yesterday and maybe still a little dehydrated.  Ran errands after church and just need to do some house cleaning and then I want to just sit in my chair and knit.  Maybe I can chase DS2 off to study if I drag out the vacuum cleaner.

Have a great day!!

Anonymous Guest

Lots of good running going on. I ran 15.7 today. The schedule said 21 but I was pretty sure going in that wasn't happening. I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept until 8:30 this morning. And I could have slept even longer! Anyway, I didn't get running until 10, so with the heat, and the just darn tired feeling, I decided I would run what I could and be happy with it. At about 13.3 my phone rang. I don't usually carry my phone but I was running in a new place so I did. It was DH, driving home from his bike race. He was in a crash with just a couple miles to go and his bike broke in half! He seems okay now, just lying on the couch being waited on. I want to take him to urgent care (his hip and butt hurt), but he wants to just wait and make an appointment for tomorrow. Anyway, after that call I decided to just head home and got back about the same time he did. He drove home from New Jersey no problem, then got out of the car and nearly passed out from the pain. It was a little scary.

Anyway, today's run makes 77 miles for the week, which I'm pretty sure is a record for me. I'd have liked 80, but not so much that I feel the need to go back out for 3 more miles.

Nice race Carol! Sounds like your training is going well if you were that close to a PR in those circumstances.

Ginny, that is awesome about DD. How fun to run a 5K together.

Lisa, I want donuts and cider now! Took your words to heart today. After talking to a girl at the race yesterday about the trails (paved, sorry) in that area, I decided to do a little exploring during my run today. Parked at the race start/finish, ran some new areas, took a few pictures with the phone, and just enjoyed the scenery and the day. Until the run got hard and the injured DH called, anyway. So thank you. I hope PT continues to go well for you.

Susan, wow! Adventure is right! I think just making it to the finish line after all that is an accomplishment! I think you deserve some rest this afternoon.

Nice runs yesterday and today Marjorie.

Gatsby, yesterday sounds like it was a great day. Hope the work isn't too bad today.

Camille, good luck with the sorting and packing. I've been going through a lot of junk room by room this summer while unemployed - it is a treat to come across old pictures and stuff.

Edited to add the picture of the broken bike:

guru

karen