Womens Running

Paczki Day Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 21 times)

Or as we in Detroit call it..

Pazcki Day!!

Paczki Day 2013 has begun. The line at at the New Martha Washington Bakery in Hamtramck  goes out the door already at 12:01am.

Editor's note: Photo not edible.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

MyMomRuns, they look great!

Monday I was helping a friend but got to the track for a 45 minute run. I did some hard (but fun) running with a fast friend of mine, thereby have some sore quads. I had wondered why I had not had a call from coach since he thinks I have died if I don’t show up at the track for a week. Big grinWell, he was sick the whole time too. This two week or so bug has been epidemic around here.  Dead

Today will be a regular track run after an errand.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

camille2

Coffee time here.  A paczki would prob taste good with it.  Smile

Good morning, Lisa. Enjoy the run.

Karen, you did look great after that race.    I love speakers like that-have always been fascinated by people who stretch the boundaries. I find deaths remind us that we need to really live.

Laura, aside from the fund raiser, is Jenny's recurrence public?   I'd like to send her a note.

Demaris, hope you feel better!

Linda, you're being so good about the speedwork!

Cindy and Tessa, I feel bad not just for  his family, but for the tiny town.  The race is a huge part of life there (kid's training, etc.)  and the injuries and death hit them hard.  RW didn't mention (papers did) that he was very nearsighted, but didn't wear his glasses due to rain. Wonder if he could even see town. Despite the warnings, I doubt he thought he was doing something very dangerous. It's a popular hike with stunning views, even half way up.  I did a similar one nearby the day before that I didn't think twice about.  It's the racing, with people going over the cliffs, bounding  the scree, etc for a faster time that increase the danger. The slickness from the rain made it much worse. You may remember, we'd planned to hike up to watch, but I literally ruined my rain jacket from falling on the mud repeatedly, stopped half up, and went down after the kid's race (which was amazing).  Friends with spikes made it to the top and said they'd never seen conditions so bad. Anyway...

The winter slugs have attacked. In the last week, I've skipped a couple and cut a couple short.  I had to work on that project yesterday and didn't start running until 6:30 pm-only did 2 of the 4.   I have a class till 5 today and hope to get in 4 afterwards and do speedwork tomorrow. Gotta get busy. Have a great day!

LC Runs

temporarily taken off
          mommymac

Camille - Better run fast if you plan to run 4 miles at 5 o'clock. I got caught the other day returning home at 5:45 in the dark. I really need knuckle lights!

Sad news about TLF; I think everyone who ever posted on RW has been rooting for her and has been inspired by her attitude and ability. Any sense of severity/prognosis? Is she still running?

Rain has cleared much of the snow here so hope to get out for an hour this afternoon before the next round of snow blows in.

Does anyone know if pain in the back of ankle is achilles related? I always thought of Achilles pain as being unbearable. Any connection to new shoes?

Lisa - Your picture reminds me of the Cake Boss bakery in NJ; forget about getting in on a weekend evening!

Judy - Love the emoticons!

Linda - You've been posting more during the week; great to hear of your successes!

Sorry; more to chat about but have to beat DH to shower!

Happy Tuesday - Carolyn

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sorry I was MIA yesterday, but I had a complaint to finish (the one I've been working on for weeks), and file it.  I also felt like crap, so I ended up taking an SRD.  DH and I went to dinner for Valentine's Day last night and I even dressed up notwithstanding me feeling like crap.  We had a good time.  4 of the 5 cats misbehaved last night and woke me up every 1 hour.  But I feel way better.  6 recovery miles and weights tonight.

Lisa, thanks for bringing me whatever that is.  Yum.

judyruns, hope you don't catch that bug.

camille, I've felt like that lately.  Life messing up with our running.  Hope you get your runs back on track soon.

LC Runs, who wants to go to work?  Haha.  Hope the day goes better.

mommymac, What happened with TLF (I assume you mean J)?  I am aware of some issues she has been going through but nothing major as in cancer being back.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Cindy, no, that wasn't Jenny. You are thinking of sunshine (posts on runango, mostly L&O, married to sackman who was also there, I'm not putting their given names because they usually don't put them on the net). I was wondering because I didn't think Jenny had been at the Pig dinner, then read Lisa's post and realized that she hadn't been..so all is clear. To me, anyway.

Got in a run last night and one this morning. It was freezing this morning! Literally. Ice all over the sidewalk where one gas station had run its sprinklers. Went out with running neighbour and partway through the run her DH met us with their dogs.

Paczki -- is that like pancakes in England, made to use up all the eggs and sugar and butter and so forth before Ash Wednesday?

Tessa-yes, same concept of cleaning out the larder. So they are richer with more eggs.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

No run for me today.  Was going to but the hotel last night not a great spot as not my usual area.  Didn't want to do the parking lot.  Was supposed to end early today so thought I'd do a short run before meeting with a friend for dinner but my last training went over by an hour and a half so that didn't happen.  Just got to the hotel and will leave shortly to go pick her up for dinner.  Didn't need today as a run day  so I'm okay with it being a rest day.

Lisa can I say even though I lived up there most my life I never ate one of those?  Ever.  I'm not a pastry type person I guess.

Waves to evreyone else.

J   Please stop talking about it here  It only takes one lurker or well meaning person to ruin this   We avoid talking about it in my other groups etc.  It needs to be kept secret

Marjorie

LC Runs

Sorry about bringing up the J issue, I didn't think about the connection at first, since I don't post on BF anymore.  I apologize, my fault and will stop any further discussion.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Thanks Laura  We know it isnt you  We don't want someone else to ruin the whole thing.  We did take the other posts out for right now just in case  After the reveal we can restore them  Maybe too cautious but it is so close now we want to make sure it isn't compromised  That so many have kept it quiet these few months is amazing

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Exhausted. Up at 4, all morning on the plane. Got home and decided to jump back into my training schedule. Today on the schedule was speed work. My gosh, that was hard. Warm up, then 400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400 with 400 recoveries, then cool down. In the scheme of things, this was probably not that hard of a workout, but three days after a 50K, it was killer.

Having trouble staying awake long enough to get through all this laundry. I will probably go into work late tomorrow. I'm just beat.

And I feel like I could eat several pazcki right about now!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Oops - double post.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Greetings all!

Late checking in today....  I got 4 miles in yesterday and did some weight training today.  The hip feels pretty good, whew!

I have never heard of a paczki, but they sure do look good!!

Judy - good for you on the fast track run!   We've had a LOT of the "yuck" going around here too... had three staff members out on one day last week (there are seven of us!).

Camille - I just keep thinking if I can hang on until the end of March, I'll make it through this winter.  It's very hard to get motivated to run or workout... and my weight is starting to betray me ever so slightly.  ugh.

Tessa - you asked me earlier about why no running on the indoor track during a game... I haven't got a clue.  It doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Karen - awesome workout.... especially after a 50k!

Hi LC, Damaris, Carolyn, Lisa and Marjorie!

I am LOVING my class this semester.  It's a big class, 35 students... but they're a great group.  If any of you do presentations and want a way to have instant (free) feedback from your audience, check out www.polleverywhere.com   I've used it at trainings before, but have woven it into my class this semester.  The students LOVE giving me answers to polls, issues or questions with their cell phone...and they get to see the instant answer within my power point.  fun, fun!

Be well all... hoping for 4+ miles tomorrow.

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Wow... It's like I was there... oh wait.  I was.  For 2 freaking hours!!! 1 hour outside and 1 hour inside in my own version of the picture I posted before from the paper.

They were frantically making new pazcki so the good news was that they were fresh...out of the deep fryer.  Oh yeah.

Here's the thing with Detroit.  We're always looking for something to get excited about. Sports teams, live concerts, running in mud, Polish jelly filled donuts.  Don't even get me started on Sweetest Day.  Does anyone celebrate that outside of Detroit?

Guy ahead of me in line lives in NYC now. He was bringing them back to NY.  Do have to admit that the Hamtramck version does taste lighter and the dough less sweet than the other versions.

Going to be some crazy days... tomorrow at 5 I fly to St Louis for job fair on Thursday at Mizzou then back Thurs night. My sisters fly in for our weekend at the MGM Grand downtown.  They leave on Monday.  On Wednesday I go to Chicago for a couple of work days. Fun times!

Lisa