Womens Running

Race Weekend! (Read 27 times)

Kilmisters

So, it's time! Waking up at 5am was a complete nightmare, but it means extra time in the city Smile We found the hotel pretty much at the last moment (miscommunication, typical "I thought you did that'') so it's about 2 miles from Expo and the start area = lots of walking so far, but the city is really nice. It's getting really warm and it worries me. A lot. (Finally Big grin) got the ''what the hell are you doing" feeling - after taking out the race number and shirt. But surely we're going to be fine Smile The main thing is not to get too focused on the secret time goal. DH is going to run the full 42k, so he's pretty nervous too (but he's put in a lot of training so I have full confidence that he'll surprise both me and himself). Funny how at the expo when lady from England (unmistakeable accent) noticed miniKK-bump, she turned to her husband and whispered ''See, Evan, this woman is running the 21k w a kid in there, and I can't get you to pull your damn beer belly for 10 damn k!''. DH almost choked on his coffee and commented (loudly) that he doesn't understand how what I am doing is fine, but Evan just not giving a damn is unacceptable Big grin

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

Good luck Elina and your DH.

Good luck Damaris and Lizzie on your fulls.

Anyone else racing?  Good luck to you!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me Smile

We are here! We got in LATE - around 11:30. By the time we got the car and got to the Airbnb it was 12:30..WAY past this chicks bedtime. Haha..slept good but I am sure I will sleep even better tonight actually. This airbnb is SO CUTE. It is like a renovated loft...updated everything but it is set up as a studio. So adorable!

HCBF is so cute. He picked Bayview to stay because this is where he used to live when he lived here. He is taking a trip down memory lane and is just so excited. He wanted to drive around last night at 1 in the morning! NOPE. Hahaha. I am sure we will be doing some of that today. I haven't really seen much of MKE yet but that cool air..YEAHHHHHHHHH. Love it. Can I move here?! We actually are considering staying longer..I have to check out what the cost is to change airline tickets though..which may be way too expensive...

Okay, going to start getting ready for lunch with CATHY!! Then we will head to the expo..strange, I haven't received my bib number!

Ginny - GOOD LUCK if you decided to race tomorrow! If not, I hope you enjoy a getaway. i think you needed it Smile

Laura - I hope you have a drama free camping trip Smile Seriously, you need some relaxation!

Karen - I smiled when I read your post. I think I will just try and stay with the 4:30 group…but your comment about “but remember you  are faster than 4:30 so pass them”. I am going to remember that..just for a bit of a confidence boost Smile So, DH working more exclusively from home. LOL. Oh man this made me chuckle because I know you were looking forward to more you time Smile BUMMER. BOO on the recliner..your couches are really comfortable though! Oh, and I will be repeating your mantra as well. I will have so many mantras to repeat! Is your weather still cool down there?

Sandy - Karen makes a good point about the MCM weather…Smile You will still be running an awesome race. I hope to do it someday. Hope you have a good LR today!

Diane - I am sorry about things with you and DH right now..put yourself first. YOU deserve that. It will be easy to get back into the habit again..you are used to it. Hang in there.

Lori - Wow, good luck on the 18!

Damars- GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! WOOHOOOO!!!

Tessa - I will take a scone Smile

Kilmisters - LOL at the ladies comment at the expo! Thats what I would say Smile I am with Karen, just enjoy it as much as you can since the weather is going to stink and you have miniKK on board. Its an accomplishment in itself that you are running it with baby on board!! You are pretty awesome!

I will check back in later! Happy Saturday!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Morning!

Elina, good luck to both you and your DH.  I am impressed by you!  Enjoy the city, it is neat.

Hi Diane!  Hope you have a good weekend.

Tessa, agreed, quality control is most important!

Lori, kick some booty on your LR.

Karen, my trail running group has a email thing that I can ask about massages on.  I just wanted one ASAP, so I figured even a mediocre one will hopefully be better than nothing.

Cathy, how awful about your friends house.  Scary.  Very glad everyone is OK.  Kind of you to help.

Lizzie, how was the flight?  Did HCBF calm you down?  How is the expo?  How is the cheese?  Yummy.  Have you ever tried cheese curds, delish.  Woot Woot, good luck tomorrow.

Have my massage in less than an hour, should get moving.  I have zero idea where my stick is, so I am just going to get a new one.  I walked out to my garage and was totally overwhelmed as to where it could be and walked back out.  I got an email coupon for 20% off my purchase at Dick's, so someone might do a little shopping.

Weather for MCM SUCKS.  SUCKS I say.  77/78 and bright sun.  WHY???  And it is the end of October.

I need to go jump in the shower, I am sure the massage dude will appreciate it.

Kathryn

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Crap, I forgot Damaris.....  Good luck to you too.  I hope you break 5 again and even beat Chicago by a few minutes.

Lizzie, cross posted, have a fab lunch with Cathy.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I had a pretty crappy 18 miler but it is done. Was supposed to be 10easy/5@1120/3@11. None of it happened except the easy which sure did not feel easy. Freaking humid. (Sorry Damaris, but it does get humid in Canada. But the temps are ok). Hay is now in the barn.

Good luck to Elina and DH, Damaris and DH and Lizzie as well as anyone else racing this weekend.

Kats...if my aging memory serves me correct, you are tapering? Enjoy.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

dhuffman63

Trails

Is it possible to get pre race blahs?

I spent the morning trying to go to the library...they open at 11, I was there at 930; didn't want to wait around in town so just got my few things at walmart and headed home....course a train was stopped on the tracks....they go through Vinita like ever 1/2 hour it seems, both NS and EW.  So I backed up and went further down the tracks til I could cross.  Back home and started cleaning stalls...counts as xtraining I'm sure.  GD wind is terrible today.  So hay sticking to my sweaty self sucks.

Everyone seems to be struggling right now...perhaps the crappy warm fall weather?  Tomorrow it's supposed to be a hi of 64....then next week in the 70's so I hope this breaks up my crappy mood.

Nice 18 Lori.  I hope to actually get in 5 today sometime...sigh.

Seloc

Hesitate to call it "long" but, last double digit run before MCM in the books!  PERFECT day.  And the leaves are BRILLIANT!  Color popped this week for sure.  10 mi with RB - same RB going to MCM.

Lori - congrats on the 18mi!  You did it and now you rest.  Cumulative miles are no joke and humidity is just the craps haha.

Kat - oooooh, I'm jealous of your massage.  I could reallllly use one on my entire posterior chain!  I just haven't found a good therapist.  Now stop getting me all freaked out about MCM weather!  haha  I haven't looked today but I'm personally most concerned with dewpoint.  The closer to 60 it gets, the more I will crumble and possibly not survive.  I can deal with 70s and sun if it isn't too humid.  Getting excited to meet you and Lizzie, too!!

Lizzie - enjoy your rest day!    Welcome to the neighbor state hee hee.  Oh wait, I just remembered!!  HCBF is going to be cheering for the Packers tomorrow!  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL. That is SO CUTE he will give you a tour of his ol' stomping grounds.  And super cool you get to lunch with Cathy!  Don't forget to take a selfie!!  Haven't looked at your weather again but so glad it's cool from what you said.  SO SO SUPER PUMPED for you!  You are going to do sooooo awesome.  No matter what.  Sending you all sorts of perfect race day speedy girl confidence vibes.  YOU GOT THIS!!!

Elina - agreed!  So super impressed with you hauling around miniKK.  And DH, too!  I did not know he was running the full.  Kinda funny - just yesterday, pic popped on my FB that I was there in 2012.  Took a selfie in front of the I amsterdam sculpture/signage thingy.  Haha.  Enjoy your mini trip and GOOD LUCK to both you and DH!!

Karen - okay, sorry, but I did have to laugh about the DH WFH debacle haha.  Sorry!!  Can you confine him to a room/section of the house?  I do think that would really bug me, too.  I guess they don't have basements in TX do they?  Then you or he could hide down there!  Hey - so been meaning to ask - what are your thoughts on the energy it takes to run extra slow?  What I mean is, my RB is probably 30s-1min/mi slower than my normal easy pace.  I really really really enjoy running with her and I did for the first 1/2 of spring marathon.  Thought it would be good to start slow and speed up.  Problem was it wasn't great.  I left her at about the half, ran my normal easy pace until I crashed and burned.  Yes, it was warm but, not humid.  I also have more miles on my legs now.  But, I'm trying to decide if I should run my own race and just run my own easy pace (what I did at Bis which worked out brilliantly but it was much cooler than MCM foreacast) or if it will be fine to stay with her and just enjoy the atmosphere.  I just want to have fun and feel good.  Hope that all makes sense!!

Ginny - good luck if you decide to run tomorrow!  Happy to see the Yankees lost last night.

Damaris - good luck to you, tomorrow!  Haven't stalked your weather - hope it's cooler than Chicago!

Finishing a load of running laundry and then will head to the liquor store to get provisions for the party.  Drop said provisions at party, go to work function thingy, back to party and then home.  Hopefully in bed by proper G'ma hour.  Would like to do 5ish easy miles tomorrow, Tue and Thurs and that's all she wrote.  Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!  Mad waves to those that follow!

ETA - hope you beat the blahs, Diane!  When I have a hard time motivating, I try to remember how much BETTER I will feel when I am done.  Go get those 5mi, girl!!  YOU GOT THIS!!

camille2

Kat, it'll probably too late by the time you see this, but my stick was in GA a few years ago when I needed it in AK and Marjorie suggested I buy a rolling pin. I went to the thrift store and got one for about 5 bucks and really like using it.  It's more solid/heavier than the stick so seems to really help.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Plan called for 14-16, 12 is good enough. Weather was sucky, again. Kinda weird day., sun came out in the middle of the run and it was warm & humid. Once the clouds came back, it was still humid, but cooler to the point that I felt clammy.

KIlmisters, good luck to you, miniK and DH tomorrow. LOL at the comment from Evan's wife.

Lizzie, enjoy lunch & the sightseeing! Good luck tomorrow.

KatS, yea, the weather here on the easy coast is sucking. The worst part is we had a few really cool days around Labor Day, so it was a tease that fall was coming.

BerthsSlayer, I feel your pain about the humidity.

DHuffman, YES! Definitely can get pre-race blahs.

Seloc, I wouldl be absolutely thrilled to see a low 60 dewpoint sometime in the near future.

AnonymousGuest, I forget what the commercial is for, but you need a She Shack.

Docket, good luck tomorrow!

Turtles, scary about the fire in your friends' house. Glad everyone was ok.

camille2

Good luck, Elina, Lizzie, and Demaris!!  I hope y'all have great races!

Ginny, good luck if you decide to race! Have a wonderful break anyway.

Lizzie, in case you didn't know, there are 2 kinds of cheese curds, plain and fried.   When I visited, I was unfamiliar with cheese curds,bought the plain ones and I was told they weren't the real thing.    BTW, if you have a Yahoo! drink (has whey) and cheese curds, you will have had your "curds and whey."       Have fun with Cathy!

Diane, I hope your day/week gets better.  It sure hasn't seemed like fall here.

Sandy, that's  too bad about Napa. The stories coming from there are really sad. Nice miles!

Lori, woot-woot o the 18!

Cathy, have fun with Lizzie!  Hope your foot starts behaving.

Karen, sorry about the hubby's "lost" office.  Have you started with the new guy.

Laura, have a great time camping. I hope you don't need too much ETOH to get thru.  : )

Waves to everyone else!

I've been really tied up with my mom (94 and in a care home). She has a UTI, ear infection, dehydration and has even been hallucinating.  My bro and sis are devoted and visit her all the time, but are fairly passive when it comes to her care. I'm so glad I came back when I did. She was miserable.  I think she's turning the corner, but am going again in a while.

I did about 45 min again this morning. I did one of the short trails and some road for about 45."  I usually also include the little trail I took Tessa and Lisa on the day after Chickamauga, but it was closed due to lots of trees being down from Irma.  Looking at the start of it explained why the emails we received sounded dire at the time.  I'm glad I was away!

ginnyb

Just a quick check in to say I have decided not to run the half.  Woke up yesyerday literally with bad pain in neck and shoulder.   I have no idea what I did, but I can't even turn my head without s spasm.  I'm falling apart! Didn't sleep well last night, still hurts, so decided this morning not to run.  Did go pick up packet though,  I might as well get my $80 shirt!  Hate to lose the money, but I would be miserable.  I am disappointed in myself.

good luck to everyone running tomorrow!  Lizzie,  Damaris,  Elina.  I think I forgot someone, if I did I'm sorry.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  In detroit and the race just announced they might cancel even midrace due to thunderstorms. Gah. Can they please cancel before we start if it’s that bad?  Ha.

Good luck, Lizzie and Elina!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Another rest day today.  Spent all morning volunteering at this race:  http://www.natra.org/soulstice

I hope to get in by lottery for next year for the long course.  It's in a spectacular area, the course is tough but the views are worth it. It was wonderful to see runners I had not seen in awhile, the trail running community is amazing here!  I missed it and so happy to be in the midst of it again.  Such a booster and a motivating drive to get out there on the trails as much as possible.  Temps have been great, 40-70s, sunny with some windy days but nothing to complain about.  Hope to get in a long run tomorrow, 20-22 miles.  Might have another female runner join me.

LCruns:  yes, come visit!  My mojo was in the toilet for most of my living in MN, just not the same as running mountain trails .......anywhere west of the Rocky Mts makes me a happy camper!!  You have family in Phoenix area? or Prescott?

Diane:  we gotta be selfish when it comes to our health, not a 'bad' word. You have to take care of yourself to take care of others ...... and those animals are depending on you.  Your attitude has been healthy and encouraging!!  Run/walk those lousy 5!

Elina:  you're awesome!!  Good luck!!

Liz and Damaris:  you'll rock your races!!

Sandy:  you've run in crappy weather in MN, you'll get through MCM, I know with flying colors!!  I'm so excited for you! Our fall colors are totally spectacular here too!

Cathy:  so relieved all is okay with everyone!

Lori:  <<high five>> you got it DONE!!

Kats:  hope the massage was wonderful!!  I'm due for another but will wait till after my races in Nov.

Hello to others I missed, have errands to get to.  Stay safe ladies!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Damaris there will be no t storms. My gut says no.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**