Womens Running

Blizzard warning Wednesday (over 40) (Read 224 times)

ginnyb

Post what you have!

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Friday I ran with coach and did 45 minutes on the track.

Saturday was SDO.

Sunday I ran 50 minutes on the track in the morning.

Monday I met a friend who also walks at the track. I did 65 running minutes.

Tuesday I cross trained with some hand weights.

Today I shall run at the track unless the roads get too icy. If so, I shall go directly home and do an hour of cardio.

Happy runs, All!

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

We are under a bliizzard warning all day today and tomorrow, very windy right now, but no snow yet.  This prediction is going to make the library even crazier than usual, it is going to be so bad at work today.

I had a wonderful Christmas.  One glitch though.....as I am ready to put macaroni and cheese, cheesy potatoes etc.  in the oven, my oven door fell off!  Not so that we could put it back....the hinge broke on one side.  Tell me the chances of the hinge breaking on your oven door exactly at the time you are putting in Christmas dinner?????  No hint that anything was wrong before this.  Oh well my DS and Dh rigged it somehow and we muddled through, but it looks like a new stove is in our future!  I suppose it could be fixed, but the stove is over 15 years old, so DH said we may as well get a new one.  I"m all for that!

okay Marjorie...I ran yesterday too and I  wore my Santa Hat!  It was pretty early so not many saw me...but I got a few waves and beeps, it was fun!

I made something similar chocolately yesterday..a trifle of brownie, chocolate pudding, crushed snickers, caramel topping and cool whip...all in layers  YUMMY!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

LC Runs

Hi there, Happy Day After Christmas!

Going running in a bit.  I managed 7 on Monday and 6 yesterday morning.  Kids coming over today and we'll do our Xmas this afternoon.  Then, going to my mom's Th/Fr.

I got quite the surprise gift for Xmas....a puppy!  My BF's sister got the dog a few weeks ago but can't keep him, so my BF surprised me by saying we could bring him home!  We 'do' have to watch for allergies, though the kids do okay with our cats - BF's mom will take him if we can't keep him but I"m keeping my fingers crossed.  He's a shih tzu named Gizmo.  He does really well in his crate at night and so far, no accidents in the house.

Ginny - hope the storm isn't too bad, we're actually north of this one.  Sorry about your oven door, though I have to say I LOL when I pictured you opening it and it falling off, sounds like a scene from a movie!

Judy - happy holidays!  Lots of great workouts for you!

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good morning all... is everyone awakening from their turkey comas?

We are getting ready to hunker down for the storm today.  Batteries, check.... flashlights, check... Baggies full of water in the freezer, check.... phones, iPads, computers charged, check!  Yep.  We're good.

I'm not running today... going roller skating with RB#1 and my other dear girlfriend!  I can't believe I'm doing this. I haven't been on skates in a LONG, LONG time. We're hoping that we will get there earlier than the kids to give us plenty of room to be awkward. We're also hoping that this experience doesn't end up in a trip to the ER for either of us!!  Shocked

Hi ya Judy... nice schedule.  I'm impressed that you made time for staying that active during the holidays!

Ginny... your chocolate thing sounds wonderful TOO!   And, I'm thinking that the oven door might make a really cool sled in the blizzard! Smile

LC... Pics.... gotta have pics of Gizmo!  How sweeeet.  I love dogs.  Shih Tzus are like poodles (my dog) in being "hypoallergenic."   DH has terrible dander allergies.  But, he does not have any reaction to our Standard Poodle.  I hope that works out for y'all!

Cindy - let's hope that the storm holds off until AFTER our coffee.  Franklin Mountain is quite unforgiving!

Have a great day all!  I'll be back with a bruise count this evening.

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

LC Runs

6 miles in the books, cold and windy but nothing like the storm heading Julie's way...

Julie - stay safe!  I go roller skating with my kids every so often (would go more but they are embarrassed by me ha ha), it really wasn't too hard to remember how to do it.  Speaking of skating, I got my two younger kids their own skates for Xmas, can't wait to see their reaction!  I'm glad to hear that about the dog, my BF has a reaction sometimes to dogs, which is why he was hesitant to get one, but after two days of loving on Gizmo, he's been fine.   I will post pics soon!!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Julie no turkey coma here.  I'm odd with holidays and eating. I don't over indulge during holidays. I love to skate but haven't been in years.  I even have my own skates.

Lisamarie nothing wrong with waiting to run  Your shoes will be waiting for you.

Laura oh new puppy!  How awesome

Ginny so sorry the weather will mean a bad day at work.  Sorry on the stove too.

Judy great workouts!

I did run 10 today  It was an occasional light rain until the last mile and a half it poured.  Some guy called a brave person for being out in this!

Everyone be careful in these storms!

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

Out for 6 this am with 2 running buddies!  Was a chilly, windy, snowy run....fun tho!  Now I am in declutter/clean up mode Smile

Marjorie - I totally understand the "odd" holiday eating behavior...I am sort of the same way.  Dislike the way I feel when I eat too much junk....and I am not a "big eater", more of a snacker which is MY biggest problem.  You would think I wouldn't always be battling 10-15 pounds.  However if I didn't pay attention it would 50 plus pounds :0

LCruns - How fun to have a new dog!!!  Enjoy your day with the kids.

Ginny - Crazy on the oven door - what are the chances!!!  Glad you got a nice run in!

Julie - Be safe in the blizzard.

Judy - You were able to get some good workouts in!!!

Carol

Arimathea

Tessa

From late yesterday:

Carol, I’m not going to Google ED awareness and that movie at work, but I gather the point is that if blood supply is being used to service excess poundage then it isn’t easy to get enough blood pressure in the target area to achieve results? (I’m trying to avoid setting off the censor software here.) Yes, that is so. Also consider the fact that obesity often leads to diabetes and poorly controlled blood sugar swings lead to damage to nervous and cardiovascular systems. Unfortunately I do know something about this because DH has been a diabetic for 30 years. Also, on a very practical note, it’s difficult to do anything if the belly means he hasn’t seen his pride & joy except in a mirror for years…

Julie, glad your turkey turned out well. Ovens can be so variable!

Lisa-Marie, sometimes the most sensible decision is NOT to run. And 12 degrees with windchill and still precipitating is one of those situations!

Susan, good to “see” you, glad you had a good Christmas and saw lots of family!

Judy, that was a busy weekend, nice workouts. Is the library open right up until NYE?

Ginny, oh no on the oven door! Appliances seem to sense when you need them most and break accordingly. (We will not mention the tree roots that chose to grow through and block the sewer outfall pipe at my parents’ house the afternoon of DH’s and my wedding, with an evening reception at the house. Frantic call to a plumber and extensive roto-rooting ensued. Five hours before the wedding the bride, in her oldest sweatpants, was swamping out the downstairs john.)

Mmm, chocolate trifle.

Laura, a shih tzu? Aww. Enjoy him. Glad I am not the only one whose kids can be embarrassed to be seen with Mom.

Julie, definitely be prepared for the storm, and with the roller skating, perhaps wear loose pants so you can stuff a pillow down the back for padding if/when you sit down hard?

2.5 this morning, not a great run, started well but I had GI issues. Better than nothing. At work so I will go to the gym at lunchtime. There’s a lot of chocolate to work off!

Happy runs, everyone.

Arimathea

Tessa

Tried to post earlier but the "post" was grayed out, until I made a change in the post I'd composed in Word and cut/pasted. Guess the software requires keyboard input to realize that there are words in the post field?

Marjorie, I take it the guy who called you a brave person was either in his car or on his porch? Good for you for being out in the rain.

Carol, stay safe. I am a snacker too.

Hope all those in the path of the storm are staying home and hunkering down!

Disney freak

Covered 2 miles today, but I don’t know that I would call it “running”.  It was: run 50 feet, stop, slip and slide across a patch of ice, run 50 feet, slip and slide, repeat.  Used several muscles I didn’t know I had to keep from falling on my rear.

Carol – I was in the “declutter” mode this morning until I noticed my family was out playing in the snow.  I went out with them, and decided it could wait.

Marjorie – was the pouring rain also cold?  I don’t mind wet, I do mind cold and wet, though.

Julie D – where are you that you are preparing  for a storm like that?

LC – yay on the puppy!   They are so fun when they are little.

Ginny – sorry about the stove!  Glad you were able to rig it so you could get everything cooked.

Judy – did you get in a run, or was it too icy?

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
                        • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
                        • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                        • training for Big D half on 4/14
                        Bikerchick1

Tessa - That is not exactly the story line...LOL.....it really was a hoot to watch!

LisaMarie - Playing outside with family in the snow trumps decluttering any day!

Just found out about a new women's only half marathon in Michigan that is celebrating the 40th anniversary of title IX.....wow, 40 years, I still remember before we had girls sports in our little town...crazy!  I think I might have to look into this...could be fun Wink

Carol

camille2

It sounds like it was a nice Christmas for everyone.  Ours was great!  We got to see everyone in both families and the GA Tech quilt for my nephew was a hit.  My late hubby's brother and DD's BF won the challenge of at least 15 min aerobic activity/day and they want to do another one soon.   I did each day except one day when I just had time to walk my mom-aerobic for her but prob not for me.  : )  Really glad we did the challenge, esp this last busy week. Maybe burned off a bite of cookie? : )  For the record, I don't think the slutty brownies are as good as they sound.  I prefer regular...and Magic Cookie bars still reign supreme.  Smile

Marjorie, I loved reading about your xmas run.

Julie, how nice that you did that big lunch.  Glad it worked out! Good luck roller skating!

Lisa-Marie, give yourself double points for being out in the ice.

Ginny, unbelievable that your oven door picked that moment to break off.  It did sound like a movie. : )  BTW, I wore the Santa Hustle shirt and my hat to my mom's since I work in the kitchen there.

Carol, your Jingle Jog sounded great! I'm a snacker like you and like you, I'd be 50 lbs over if I didn't watch it. That Title IX run sounds like a good one to celebrate.  I also remeber the days with no/few girl sports in schools.

Laura, your dog sounds adorable!

Tessa, that WAS bad timing for the sewer to break.

DD and her BF left at noon so I got in 6 afterwards.. It's breezy with a few flurries.  I'm feeling lucky-wind warning and most people in the neighborhood had no power this morning, but we weren't impacted..yet anyway. Hope everyone in the path of the blizzard is safe.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Camille glad you had a great holiday and did well in the challenge.  Only missing one day isn't bad.

Tessa he was getting out of his car and going in his house.  I don't mind rain.  It is

only bad if the wind gusts and get pellet like driving rain.I don't think there is much of a filter here.  Remember you can swear etc.  Probably just didn't realize you'd pasted anything in the text box.

Lisamarie Nah it was in the 60s so not cold.  We get some chilly days but not many.  I'm in Charleston Sc

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa-Marie, ice skating is supposed to be very good for leg and behind muscles, not sure about sliding on the ice. (A few choruses of "Slip Slidin' Away" would seem appropriate here.)

Carol, I don't wat ch movies, so I'll take your word for it that the movie was a hoot.

40 years, really? Wow. I am just a little too young to remember time before Title IX.

Camille, regular brownies are good. Especially when made with chocolate chips and almonds or walnuts or pecans. And with chocolate buttercream frosting. Mmm. I agree with you on magic cookie bars....but I like blondies or pecan pie bars even more.

I should NOT be thinking about cookies after this weekend's pigout...

Hope you can keep power!

Marjorie, I'm with you, rain not so bad, cold not so bad, wind not great but bearable, rain and wind and cold together  = not a fun run.

7.17 on the TM at lunch. Progressive intervals: warmup at recovery pace, 2 minutes at RP + .1, 1 minute at RP, 2 minutes at RP + .2, 1 minute at RP, repeat for a good many more intervals. RP was 6.0 then 6.1, peak interval was 7.6.