Womens Running

Summer Again Tuesday? (Over 40) (Read 21 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

We reside in a weird weather state.  Big grin

Post as you wish. We are always here to listen.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Monday I had a 45 minute fun track run with new songs on my nano. I added some Beach Boys and some Enya songs. The problem with this is, I slept 8 hours last night and could sleep another 4 at least. Tight lips I sleep well when I increase my running time.

Today will be a track run and cardio DVD.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

LC Runs

Hi Judy - hot and humid here, too.  I like it Big grin

5.4 muggy miles for me this morning

ginnyb

Hot and humid this morning, ran 3 pretty good miles.  Much better than Sunday's 10!

Met with the trainer for the first time this morning at 7:30.  All I can say is that I thought I was in fairly good shape.  He, unfortunately proved me wrong!  No, I didn't do that badly.  Introduced me to burpees, which I could live without, I felt so uncoordinated, but I did a  few.  Did pretty well with the planks and pushups.  Also did some weight work.  I really like him, said he would like to take me out running too, maybe we can improve.  Anyway, I know I am going to be sore, but it felt good.  Going back on Thursday.

Tessa....you are doing the right thing, don't let guilt get to you!  Thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way.

Work tonight, so off this morning....

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

Morning all,

the weatherman says three days of hot and humid before it cools down into the 70s for the weekend. I'm about to head out for 9 miles with 5x600, if my Garmin ever syncs (I put the workout into Garmin Training Center, which I haven't done for ages, and am now trying to get it to export to the actual Garmin, so I don't have to pay attention to my mileage for the intervals, just listen for the beeps).

Funny conversation from my interview yesterday. She asked what I'd been doing since being laid off in June and where all I'd been looking for jobs, and I told her that honestly I was mostly just enjoying the summer. She liked that. I told her how I thought during a 15 mile run one day "how do people who work full time fit this in" and I asked DH and he replied "They don't!" The we got off on a tangent about the importance of exercise. She told me she always asks people in interviews what their hobbies are, and if they don't mention some sort of physical activity, she most likely won't ask them back for a second interview. That's how important she thinks it is, and that's probably one reason she liked me so much!

Along those same lines, here is DH's fb status after spending 3 hours at Kaiser urgent care yesterday:

Just got back from the doctor. The xray was clean and she diagnosed me with a big bruise on my butt and a strained hip flexor.

Some would say stupid injuries for a 48 y/o to be getting screwing around racing bicycles. A guy with me in the waiting room told me how getting old sucked and was carrying oxygen and using a cane. He was 51.

I am going to keep riding/racing the crap out of my bicycles.

Same general theme. We are lucky we like to do this silly running thing. We are lucky we can (or will be able to again soon, Lisa). And it is good for us.

Finally - transferring data! About time to go race the garbage and recycling trucks around my neighborhood.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Linda

Ginny:  burpes are awful!

Hi Judy & LC

I will run today.  I skipped my weekend run, because my knee was hurting from hiking.

I've got a weird rash.  It could be shingles, again.  I'm not going to let it get me down.  At least it is on my leg and not my face.

Have a great day, everyone.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Linda

Karen:  We posted at the same time.  Good morning.  Keep moving!  It sounds like the interview went great. Good luck.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

ginnyb

Hi Karen and Linda,  I think we all posted at the same time.

I know I will keep the running up for as long as my body and mind will let me!  I know I go into slumps, but I can't imagine not doing it!

Ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Arimathea

Tessa

Laura, YES take the COBRA or else buy a short term stopgap plan for at least major medical.. Too much of a gamble not to. Can you pay the COBRA payments with your HSA? I’m sure you could pay short term coverage with the HSA funds. No way to get on the plan early? Something to negotiate, I’d think.

Carol, Marjorie, thanks.

Lisa, not sick at all to feel good about “worked the muscles” soreness.  Glad the PT is helping.

Judy, not sure I could run to Enya. I’d be inclined to curl up on the side of the trail and fall asleep.

Laura, you LIKE hot and humid? Weirdo.

Ginny, burpees are evil. I do not do them.

Karen, I like her attitude, even though she was not really wise to say that because someone could make an ADA case out of it. And DH’s comment about the guy in the waiting room on oxygen with a cane saying “getting old sucks” – good for DH ! Bruised butt notwithstanding.

Linda, do people get shingles twice? I rather hope not. Fingers crossed that the rash is just something like contact dermatitis.

Add me to the “I will run as long as I can possibly do it” group. Seeing DH deteriorate this fast due to years of inertia has reinforced this. The good thing is that DS is also more determined to get into better shape after seeing what has happened to his dad.  Personally, I would like to go out as the result of a sudden, preferably painless, cardiac event at the finish line of a marathon. One in which I have won my age group, a group for which the RD had to create a category with 3 digits in the age field.

Working, then up to have a meeting with the discharge planner and probably the doctor. DH is not improving (surprise) so doesn't fit into rehab criteria for payments. They may be sending him home, in which case I have tons of questions already.

And we put three classes on the schedule for the fall, thinking that one, at most two, would get enough enrollment to run. Surprise. All three have enough to go forward. So I'm teaching three evenings a week and have to make sure all the materials are current. I'll be very glad for the money but yikes, I'll have even less time!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.1 miles for me.

Tessa glad you have support. Lean on them. It is a tough situation and none of us would wish it on anyone. No one wants to go through it. In the back of your mind remember your dh, if he could be what he was when you married him and see himself now, he would be horrified at what he is doing to his family. He doesn't mean it even if it sounds like he does.   It is the disease doing this to him.

Ginny glad the 3 were good. Burpees are evil.

Laura hope son is doing well mid take the cobra too only because I'd be scared to not have I coverage. Medical bills are usually the number one thing that bankrupts people. It only takes one big injury or illness. We never plan them for sure, but it happens. Damaris can tell you that she probably sees medical as the top reason on most cases she works, I would bet.

Karen so glad it is just a bruise. I'm with everyone and your dh. I exercise like this because I've seen my whole professional life what lack of exercise can do and what it did to my mom and what my dad deals with now

Linda have a great run. You can get shingles many times. Hope it isn't that.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  I ended up doing 10 miles last night, 2 with hubby and 8 solo.  Very good miles.  Hubby has some shin pain today but hoping we can do a 5th run on Thursday or thereabouts.  Hershey looks to be somewhat back to normal, although every time he whines I am afraid he is blocked (he whines a lot, all his life, though).

judyruns, I love Enya.  Sounds like you had a great amount of sleep.  I'm jealous.

LC Runs, nice run in hot and humid weather.  Feel free to keep my weather and not return it. Big grin

Ginny, nice 3.  I love when one starts a new routine or exercise and it is harder that one thought.

Karen, nice job on the interview.  Hoping you hear from them soon.  LOL at your husband's status.  Glad it was only a bruise.

Lisa, hope you get to run today.  Hope it's not shingles.

Tessa, sorry to hear about your husband not improving.  I hope that if they move him home, his mental mojo kicks in and helps with recovery.

Marjorie, hi.  what is new with your dad/brother drama?

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Laura hope son is doing well mid take the cobra too only because I'd be scared to not have I coverage. Medical bills are usually the number one thing that bankrupts people. It only takes one big injury or illness. We never plan them for sure, but it happens. Damaris can tell you that she probably sees medical as the top reason on most cases she works, I would bet.

Most of the bankruptcies are related to medical bills and even one ER visit can jump to $30,000 without insurance.  Unfortunately, Cobra is very expensive and sometimes prohibited.  I would check whether your state already started the exchanges required under the new Healthcare Law and see if you can enroll your family there.  If not, check when they will become eligible and if you can afford it, get Cobra in the meantime.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bikerchick1

Judy - I am in need of some new playlist songs too, I could probably have Enya for a long slow run, very zenlike....

Marjorie - Nice job as usual!

Tessa - Totally agree with Marjorie's comment about DH's condition causing his mental state to some degree.  Wow, on the 3 classes to teach...you will be a busy lady!

Karen - Love your DH's FB post....how true re: the 51 y/o on oxygen....I can't believe the difference in patient's that I see depending on how they have taken care of themselves.  I will run, till I can't....

LCruns - I think we are going to experience most of our 4 seasons of weather this week.....from 95 to frost and 38....Gotta love Michigan!

Ginny - the training session sounds great!  Are you doing the Santa Hustle this year?

Damarias - Nice job on the 10!

Linda - Hope it is not shingles Surprised  You can get that multiple times.....boooo.

Think I did have a sort of "flu" yesterday as DH is really sick today.....I am going to go for a walk in a bit.  Am taking another rest day, very hot, and just am not feeling like pushing it tonight.  Last week was 45 miles....that is ALOT for me....

Carol

ginnyb

Carol....I am planning on doing the Santa Hustle again this year.

Bad day at work again today.....let's see, I have had one good day in 2 weeks, oh well, better than no good days at all.

Hot, hot hot today, not complaining mind you!

Ginny

Anonymous Guest

Run went well - hit all my paces even though it was hot and humid.

And then this afternoon I got a call to come in and meet/interview with the rest of the staff next week! From a couple things she said, I'm guessing she's got around 3 people she's interested in.

Hoping this good run continues and I can manage to get my butt out of bed early tomorrow to get my 15 miles done before it gets too hot. And by 10 o'clock so I can register for Boston.

Ginny, sounds like quite a workout. Good for you!

Linda, I hope it's not shingles! I've hear that's really painful. I take it you've had them before?

Tessa, if anyone can handle teaching three classes while dealing with all you've got going on, it's definitely you. And even though it's a crappy way to learn a lesson, especially when you're only 18, I'm glad DS has decided to get in better shape.

Damaris, glad Hershey seems to be getting back to normal. Cool that DH is sticking with the running.

Carol, 45 miles right after vacation? Nice job, lady. Definitely take it easy.

Laura, I agree  with the others. COBRA is expensive, and chances are you wont need it, but if something were to happen, it could get bad financially really fast. I mean, routine stuff you could put off or pay cash, but if there were an accident or something....you don't want to go there.

Judy, I'm with Tessa on Enya - I don't think I'd run very fast listening to that, but napping along the edge of a trail, most definitely!

Hi Marjorie! Good advice to Tessa and Laura. You are a good person to have on the forum.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel