Womens Running

Yeah For The Weekend! (Over 40) (Read 21 times)

My house was all spic and span today, thanks to super awesome DH who always does more than his share of the cleaning.   Not  quite a cleaning service but pretty great nonetheless.

Karen, sorry to hear that the migraine from hell is still plaguing you.  I'm amazed at how much you manage to do with your days even with the migraines.

Carol, Cindy, Ginny, hang in there with the snow... spring will come, it always does, but never soon enough I'm sure.

Laura -- Nice job on the 10K.  And good for you for going to the race on your own.

Baking brownies now for a running club potluck tomorrow.  I've been told that I'm being nominated for the running club board, and while I'm flattered to be asked, I'm not sure whether I'll do it.  I enjoy the group but I don't really have much time for "extra stuff" these days.  Need to find out more about the time commitment and what exactly the board does.

So glad today is only Saturday!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Arimathea

Tessa

Checking in quickly. I'm falling asleep over the keyboard which is not surprising since I got up at 2:30, drove 4 hours, ran a 4:33 marathon, and drove 4 hours home again. Caffeine helps but it's not a cureall. Waiting for the second batch of chicken to finish cooking so I can go to bed.

Karen, sorry about the migraine. Maybe check out the NuvaRing or other hormonal treatment that doesn't require you to take a pill every day? Or continuous contraception so you don't even have to have a period once every 3 months?

Julie, how frustrating to have so many efforts shot down.

Laura, brave of you to drive alone when it had been snowing or still was!

Hi Ginny, Lisa, Marjorie, Carol, Carolyn, Linda, Damaris, Gatsbybird, apologies to anyone I missed (on the second page so can't go back)...

And I just splashed one hand, one foot, my chin, and a T shirt I'm rather fond of with very hot oil. Foot is the worst, I think. Dammit.

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good morning all!

Sometimes it is just not in cards.... I went to the field house to get my four miles in, and there was high school basketball tournament going  on.  So, I power walked (and snuck in a sprint on the back side of the track most laps) for three miles.  By the time I had gotten 3 miles in, the little kids had all had enough of the game and had discovered the track.  It was bedlam! haha.

Now... me and my goal-driven self (c'mon you type A chicks... you know where I'm coming from!  lol) is calculating how many miles per run I am going to have to do for the next 11 days to make my monthly goals.  Between winter and an ouchy hip, making my February goal is going to be a significant challenge!

Coremeister whooped up on me.  YAY!  Linda - I looked at some of the video from that strength plan, and thankfully, my trainer already has me doing a number of those exercises.  There are definitely some I will want to give a try - especially the "donkey" variations.

Marjorie - Doesn't it get tiring to fight these battles?  And, frankly, I'm not sure that this isn't a losing battle.  Good 11.1!

Gatsby - Thanks!  I am passionate about the work I do.  So, even if it appears to be a losing battle, it is worth the fight!  And, not for nuthin', but I would ask to visit a board meeting if you end up wanting to accept the appointment.  Sometimes boards run very smoothly and everyone plays nicely in the sandbox (thankfully, my Board of Directors is good, like this!).   Sometimes boards are little fiefdoms, where people with power and control issues make like miserable for folks at the meetings.

Carol - You guys are such a hearty bunch!  Embracing winter running has not come to me yet!  WTG on the snowy run!

Karen - I'm so sorry about the migraines.  ugh.  I had a condition that worsened with my cycle, so badly that I begged the GYN to take all of my plumbing out!! But, he told me I was too young at the time.  So, I opted for a Mirena (google it, if you like).  It stopped my periods and the problem stopped immediately.  No pills to remember.  Holy cow... I could NOT have been more grateful.  Now, I'm pretty much in menopause (so the hormone test says).  So, when the 5 years are up, the GYN will probably just remove it.

LC - Thanks re: the Warrior Dash pics!  And congrats on your winter 10K!  Nice time.

Ginny - Yay for the 3.5!  we'll get past this winter slump!!  Spring is coming.  I just know it is! 

Tessa - YAY on the Marathon time!  That rocks!  I hope you slept well.

Okay... time to get ready for church.  I'm hoping to get a run in today.  It all depends upon if that basketball tournament is still going on at the field house.  Yesterday, I actually started plotting how to go about advocating for a community indoor track just so that I would have a place to run!  I already have the place picked out... LOL

Be well!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Linda

The track meet was OK.  The kids were fine with their performance.  That was my primary concern.

Yesterday, I ran a 5K in the morning, before the meet.  One of my students put on a 5K as a fundraiser for a sick child.  The child and the family were actually at the 5K.  My students have to do a senior project, so every year, at least one of them, put on a 5K.  Normally, very few people show up, but they raise a little money.  I figured this would be the same, but I go just to support the student.  Yesterday’s 5K was more than I expected.  Hundreds of people were there.    It was a trail race, so I, also, didn’t expect to get a fast time, but I did great.  I won first female and PR’d.  My clock time was 21:00, but, my garmin said 21:31.  How did they manage to start the clock 30 seconds late, I have no idea.  21:00 would have been amazing, but 21:34 is a PR for me too, so I’ll take it.  Of course, I wanted to wait for the plaque, so I was almost late for the track meet.

pic

Carol:  Be careful out there

Marjorie:  I haven’t been to the Salon in a long time—years—enjoy

Hi Gatsbybird.  Happy cleaning.

Karen:  sorry about the headache.  It sounds like you have a good handle on it though. 

LC:  Congratulations on your 10K.  I hope it warms up soon for you.

Ginny:  Way to go to you GD!

Tessa:  That is a fast marathon!  Congratulations.  I am signed up for a half in Ventura, next Sat.  Is that getting close to you?  Lunch, maybe?

Julie:  sometimes it really isn’t in the cards.  Don’t worry about it.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Linda

I have no idea why that pic is so big.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

That's so cool Linda!  And nice that the community supported the race.

LC Runs

Happy Sunday!

Still cold here, but the sun is shining!  8.5 miles for me this morning Smile  I also dedicated this run to Karnel and provided a donation in her memory.  I will post the pic on our FB page since I can't figure out how to do it here???

Linda - that is so awesome, what a great 5k time!

Gatsby - what a wonderful DH!

Tessa - omg, that would be a long day.  GREAT JOB on the race!!

Julie - my miles are down this month, as well. Cannot wait for March, at least it signals the beginning of spring!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

20.7 for me.  I would have done 21 but I was cutting it close to do the extra .7.  If I'd nit had to stop to go to the bathroom earlier in the run it wouldn't have been an issue.  I'm at the airport since I have a meeting at 8 am tomorrow in New Orleans.

Tessa I bet you were tired!  Hope the burn wasn't bad.

Julie it just seems silly they want to limit people running during a game.  Then letting them play on the track?

Gatsby we get really involved with legislation.  It sometimes is amazing what people in congress think is a great idea.

Linda what a nice plaque and shiny PR!.

Laura yay for sun.  It was feels like in the 20s when I ran this am but there is signs of spring.  A few of the Bradford Pear trees are starting to bloom.

I hear tell Damaris did well at her marathon……

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Tired! Yesterday morning's headache was the end of the migraine, thank goodness. Got my 8 easy in, then went with DH to his cycling team's annual season kick off party (even though racing doesn't start until mid-March). They gave out awards to those that placed in the Mid-Atlantic region (the women's team swept the top 3!), introduced the elite teams and the junior teams, then gave out a few "special" awards, volunteer of the year, most improved, and one to the guy that crashed the most. Guess which one DH got? Yep, I'm married to the guy on the team that crashed the most last year!

Today was long run day - 14 miles. I think I get this whole cummulative fatigue thing the Hanson's plan relies on. I felt like I'd run over 20 by the end of that run. 30 degrees with 20 mph winds probably didn't help. Will just do a few easy runs early this week before heading to NC. The RD for Mt. Mitchell posted that the storm that went through NC dumped 8 more inches on the top of the mountain. But it's supposed to be in the 50s all week, so who knows what conditions will be. I don't care if I finish in 9:59 (10 hour limit), I don't care if I'm last, I just want to finish this one.

Gatsby, yay for DH! Mine is not very good at cleaning. The running club could be fun, or it could be a lot of work. We were really involved in our yacht club out in CA (I was newsletter editor and DH went up the ladder so was Rear, Vice and then Commodore) and were really burned out after. Let us know what you decide.

Tessa, what a long day for you. Great marathon time!!

Julie, that sounds kinda frustrating with the track situation.

Linda, wow! That is one speedy time, especially on trails! Congratulations.

Laura, loved your picture for Karnel on fb. You are so adorable. Nice race for you yesterday, especially in those conditions.

Nice long run Marjorie. Hate when I have to fly out on Sunday and cut into my weekend. Hope your travel goes smoothly.

Am I the only one that gets President's Day off tomorrow? Big plans here - cleaning the house, a trip to Sam's Club, and getting things ready for the trip to NC.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Karen, glad to hear the migraine is finally gone.  And congrats to DH on his award!  Wink

Tessa, how did I miss your post earlier?  (I must have been mesmerized by Linda's giant award, heh)  Nice job on the marathon!

Hi to LC, Marjorie and everyone else.

My office is closed tomorrow for president's day but I'll be working, of course.

MTA: JulieD, I was wondering about the fiefdom issue you mentioned and whether it would be a problem with this board.  Two original members are staying and three new ones will be joining, but one of the original ones has a very strong, domineering personality.  Hmmm, something to think about.

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 4.7 easy miles - 2.6 with DS1 and 2.1 with DS2 - this afternoon. It was chilly and windy. And, at the risk of sharing TMI, the seam on my tights chafed my nether regions on yesterday's run. Ouch!

Julie - I keep forgetting to say that I love the Warrior Dash pics! Sorry about the shortened runs - the seasons can definitely impact your mileage. For me it's summer - I just can't handle some of the longer runs in the heat.

Tessa - that's a long day! Can't wait to read the RR.

Damaris - hope the marathon went well.

Marjorie - bummer on having to travel on Sunday.

Linda - congrats on the win! You are one speedy girl.

Karen - fingers crossed that the snow melts off. I'm looking forward to getting together next Sunday, and you can tell me all about it! DH has tomorrow off (he's a banker) but the kids have school, so we might actually get to have a conversation.

Gatsby - thumbs up to your DH! My DH is a pretty good cleaner, but his job takes up so much of his time.

Carol - we had a bit of snow yesterday but it didn't stick, so I didn't have to worry about busting any body parts. It looks like they got more down Amy's way.

Laura - nice 10K yesterday! I have one coming up in a few weeks.

Ginny - congrats to GD! And hang in there - the runs will get better. The second half of Hatfield McCoy is the one I am planning on registering for.

Off to get dinner together. Have a great evening-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Julie it just seems silly they want to limit people running during a game.  Then letting them play on the track?

Marjorie... you just get a big ole "amen, Sistah!" from me!!  What can I say, it's a college.   Sometimes the rules just don't have to make sense... somebody, somewhere decided and everyone else nodded their head.  Because I'm on faculty (and a lowly adjunct at that) I have to be a good girl.  I'm not one to wish my life away... but, in this case I'M SOOOOO READY for spring!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Bikerchick1

Tessa - Great job on your marathon!!!  Great time!

karen - Glad your migrane went away.  Enjoy your day "off"....

Gatsby - Nice that your DH is a good "cleaner"!  I used to have someone every other week, was awesome.  When DH retired he said he would take over that job....Roll eyes....he tries....what can I say.

Cindy - Ouch on the chafing issue....nice run with DS's though!

Linda - Congrats on the award and great time!!!

LCruns - Such a cute pic on FB!!!  Glad the route was fairly dry for you.  I may consider the Mud Dog.

Marjorie - You are BACK to your miles aren't you!!!  My legs are tired just thinking about those kind of miles.

Had a beautiful 6 miler this am.  The therm. said 4.6 when I left, after our run, my car therm. was at 6 degrees.  There was no wind, and beautiful blue sky, sun, and snow that was sparkling!  Only 3 of  us today, but we had a great time.

Carol

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry I was MIA, but as I was leaving for the expo, my dad called.  He was shot at Friday night and they crashed his car and shot at him.  It was all very dramatic and scary.  He is OK and unharmed but listening to him telling me he almost died while I was here watching a movie was very shocking, to say the least.

Today was a good day.  I did the A1A Marathon (good guess!) and it was freezing and windy.  PRd by 3 minutes (4:34:09).  I did have asthma issues in the last two miles but shoved them and finished.  Very happy with my performance.

Sorry for being so post and go without shoutouts, but the day has been crazy.  Will do shoutouts tomorrow, promise!  I did read every post but my husband is calling to watch another movie.  Can't say no, right?

And thanks for caring!  In the short time that I've been posting here, you have shown me great kindness and care.  Much appreciated!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Wow, no shoutouts, but Linda, that's awesome.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page