Womens Running

Thankful Thursday (over 40) (Read 15 times)

ginnyb

Thankful that my family and I are healthy.

4 miles on the TM this morning.  I listened to a playaway book and it made a huge difference, made the time pass much more pleasantly, do not know why I did not think of this sooner.  Do you know what a playaway is?  It is like a book on tape, but they look like little cassette players and you just plug your earphones in and listen to a book.  Great little invention and perfect for the TM.

Karen...I am so sorry.  You are just sick and tired of being sick and tired!!  Once you are over this stuff that you have you will perk up I am sure.  Being that it is winter doesn't help!  What can we do to cheer you up?

Tessa...have a great trip.  I know that you will!

Marjorie...fun weekend ahead.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Bikerchick1

Ginny - Your playaway book sounds awesome!!!  Thanks for the thankful Thursday title!

Had a fun time doing some hill work last night.  Probably about 10 people - up and down a little hill in a local park.  It was like being a kid out sledding at night....was fun seeing everyone's headlamps and reflective gear running around Smile

Cycle/Yoga tonight.  Plus weigh in for the weight loss challenge today Sad((   I did NOT lose my 2%...have been up and down a couple of pounds, so will be lucky not to have gained.  This happens EVERY time I try to diet......booooo.  I guess I am thankful I DON"T have to lose alot of weight...could be worse.

Carol

camille2

Good morning!  I am thankful my sister much better and that I didn't get the flu.  To catch up a bit...

Karen, I'm so sorry you're missing the race and still feel crappy.

Ginny, you are doing great this winter.  I seem to have the slug bug myself.

Demaris, congrats on that race and post op PR!

Cindy, good luck to your hubby in his job hunt.  I hope he finds something great.

Lisa, I agree that a skeptic site doesn't seem like you.

Marjorie, have a great time with Tessa.

Tessa, good luck this weekend.

Hi to everyone else!

I have done one mi this week.  My sis-in-law in Alabama had a respiratory crisis last weekend and is still in the ICU on a vent. She smokes. She tested positive for RSV and flu and they put her on isolation after I spent a few hours in the room. I didn't get flu, but have had cold symptoms the past couple days.  Thankfully, it's not bad at all and it could be allergies, but I just didn't have the energy to finish the run.  I am going to shoot for 3 later today.

I've concocted a new recipe I'll share.I have a fruit smoothie most days, but I was too cold to drink one so I made a hot fruit drink (or fruit soup) .

Put a cup of cranberry juice with a spash of orange juice in a saucepan.  Add about a cup pineapple, blueberries and strawberries.  If in the evening, add sangria, Barefoot muscato or leftover bubbly.  Heat just until quite hot. Eat/drink it like soup.  It hits the spot.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My 4 went well last night.  Pilates and some miles tonight.

Ginny, nice 4.

Carol, ouch at the hills but hill workouts are great.

Camille, sorry about your SIL.  Hope she recovers.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Thankful that we survived the quest for the high occupancy vehicle lane on the 405. The freeway is crowded and the airport bus driver is, mmmh, assertive.

On my way!

Ginny, haven't heard of those before, can you check them out of the library? I usually balance a hardback book on the TM but am open to new things.

Carol, good luck at WI tonight.

Camille, scary about your SIL. Hope she recovers and that maybe this scare will be the incentive she needs to quit.

Damaris,  you are so conscientious about Pirates and miles!

Marjorie, we nearly had a situation that would call for an emergency trip to Target - I forgot to pack running shorts. Fortunately I remembered when in the shower.  All packed!

4 thus morning with RN, now heading for the airport as previously mentioned. SC here I come! Excited. I am sorry Karen won't be there. Another time, I hope.

ginnyb

Tessa....yes, you check them out of the library!  Our library has had them for a few years now.

Ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Karen-hope your mood is improving... you heard Ginny.  Be thankful! For something.  Texas is something that's for sure.

Tessa-do you have arm warmers?  I like those when weather is in flux.  They also make nice wrist bands to wipe sweat away later in day too. Agree on the not wanting to be drilled without Novocain.  As a child I had multiple fillings done without it.  I still have a memory of pain being seen in a range of colors. White was the worst.  At one point my mom received a bill from the dentist for a visit my dad had and hit the roof. She called dentist yelling about how they had filled cavities on me without anesthetic when they had it as an option.  he told her that she hadn't asked for it.  We got a new dentist after that.  Each time I went I would get a stuffed animal to bring with me.  I remember the dog named "Tuffy" for obvious reasons.  Teeth drilled sans anesthetic, 3 natural childbirths without anesthetic (okay, a local given for high forceps delivery and subsequent ripping with baby #1).... I probably could run a 100 miler from a pain standpoint.

Damaris-if you do dress your cats please send pics.. of them or of your clawed up arms.

Marjorie-Nice running!

Sue-good to hear the doggies are all happy.  Not dressed, but happy.

Carol-hill repeats in the dark.  fun.  maintaining is always the hardest.  not much glory in it either.

Ginny-I haven't heard of those either.  Downloadable books yes, playaways no.

Camille-Hang in there.  I used to make a "tea" by boiling a bag of fresh cranberries in water (can't remember how much, but a lot) along with cinnamon sticks.  Then strain, add orange juice (about a cup I think) and sugar to taste.  Was really good and made the house smell wonderful.

5 miles in one hour on tm this morning with my hill repeats.  Was successful in keeping average speed at 5 mph (12 min/mile).

• .25 miles at 5% at 5mph, recover at 1 or 0% for .25 mile at same 5.0 mph
                • .25 miles at 6% at 4.8 mph, recover for .25 at 5.2 mph
                • .25 miles at 7% at 4.6 mph, recover for .25 at 5.0 then another .25 at 5.4 mph
                • repeat but I did bring speeds down .2 on each incline so up .2 on each recovery to keep to the 5.0 average.
                • I think I did the last mile alternating between 5.2, 5.0, 4.8.  0, 1, 1.5% inclines. I get so bored that I have to change something.

For those of you who know anything about training plans.. how can/should I build off of this to train for Leona Divide?  Longer hills?  I think TM goes up to 10%, higher inclines?  Less inclines but for longer? 50k is the bottom elevation map.  1,300ft gain in first 5 miles.  Mile 10 looks like 1,000 gain in 2 miles.  Maybe prayer is best option.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1 for me.

Yippee. Tessa is on her way  and survived the adventurous ride to the airport

I need to go to the grocery store. Be back later.

Marjorie

ginnyb

playaway

Anonymous Guest

Thanks guys. I've upgraded from bad mood to frustrated. I know better than to wallow in a bad mood - that only makes things worse, and I'm really the only one that can change that by changing my attitude. Mostly just frustrated by work now - in over my head on some things, getting unwanted help on other things. Co-worker just came into my office and yelled "Je suis Karen!", in response to an email I sent to about 20 people (it was not what they wanted to hear). Made me laugh at least.

I did run 2 whole miles last night! Ran really slowly and nearly coughed up a lung when done, but did it. This morning my hamstrings were sore.....from running two lousy miles!

Nice running Ginny. You seem to be doing a good job of avoiding that winter slump.

Carol, the flu worked well to kick start my weight loss! Just no appetite for two weeks and I'm down almost 4 pounds. I wouldn't recommend it though. Your run last night sounds fun.

camille, stay healthy! That sounds good, I'll have to give it a try.

Morning D, consistent as always.

Tessa, you're probably in flight as I type. Have a wonderful, wonderful weekend. I'm looking forward to the RR.

Lisa, geez woman, you can take some pain! When I was training for Mount Mitchell, I just assumed I'd be walking a lot of the uphill. So once a week I walked 5 miles on the TM as fast as I could, increasing incline until I hit the max for the machine. I think it really helped - while I did a good bit of walking, I made the mile 13 cut off and a lot of people didn't, I think because they hadn't gotten used to fast uphill walking, and then when they had to walk because of ice and snow (probably not a problem you'll have), they walked slow and then missed the cutoff. I don't know what you're "supposed" to do to train, but that worked for me.

Marjorie, have a great weekend. Sorry I won't be there to enjoy it. I was really looking forward to meeting Hammy and Quincy. Oh, and your DH too.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Karen sad you won't be here!  Hope work gets better

my right eye is dry. Don't know why. Felt like something was in it when I ran. Nope. I looked when I got back. When I was at the store I got some visine dry eye. Feels much better. I know the eye doctor several year ago said my eyes were a bit dry. I'm sure they are even more so now. I will probably see the eye doctor later this year before renewing my drivers license. My sight is fine and I don't wear glasses. But every time I go to renew my license the damn eye chart thing is hard. Last time it was nearly impossible. They finally passed me but I was all hmmm, so I went in to have them checked. He laughed at me. I guess the dmv never calibrates their machines.  He said it happens all the time. Figure I will go preemptively this year.  I'm the on,y one in my family that doesn't need glasses so I might as well.

Audio type books are great, Ginny. I know when my mom was still alive she would get audio books when they traveled to make the road trip seem easier.

Carol  you've done well with the cross training

Camille the recipe sounds great

Lisa I have several pairs of arm warmers she can use if needed. And gloves. I have a throw away pair of gloves  still too.

Tessa well, if you forgot anything we can certainly get you stuff!  I keep a bunch of spare toiletry stuff in the spare room for guests too.  I love the sample isles at the stores.....

Marjorie

Karen-I had posted in a FB group I'm in "Flatlander Ultrarunners in Michigan"... it's okay to laugh, that IS the name of the group.  Perfect place to ask for advise on training.  2 suggests came out.  Stair running (would have to do that at work; 5 floors) to get both the up and down.  Done by time not number of floors.  And putting that damn TM at 10% and covering 2 miles on it no matter the speed as part of a weekly TM run.  Basically what you suggested.  Oh the fun times I have ahead of me.  And the looks I'll be getting.  Good thing they aren't allowed to judge at Planet Fitness.

Marjore-hope you get your eye feeling better!

Oh!  I've entered the NYC lottery.  November 1 is race date. Lottery opened today.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Tessa's flight has a slight delay. She should land in 15 min. Just got to the airport. The tracking board in the cell lot not working but I have the flight up on my phone to track.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

In SC! Have met Quincy and Hammie (sweeties), Marjorie and her DH and I had a very nice dinner. Now working remotely. Expo tomorrow!