Womens Running

Floundering Friday (Over 40) (Read 24 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Floundering should be my middle name. Wink

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Thursday I did an hour on the track and then 40 minutes of cardio DVD when I got home. I'm definitely seeing a physical difference in my muscles in arms and legs. Ummm, the arms are still little sticks, but they are getting to be more solid little sticks. Big grin

Track run today to meet my friend. Her hours at work will change so this is the last time we can exercise together for a while.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

G'morning all!

After all of my agita over my February goal, I truly ended up only one run (4 miles) short.  Knowing what my month was like, I can give myself a little slack and be happy with that!  Smile

No runs yesterday, but that was because I knew I was going swing dancing last night.   I had a BLAST.   My agency co-sponsored a family friendly, alcohol free swing dance with a live band and a free sing dance session.  Whew!  Talk about glistening!  I burned a ton of calories and had a wonderful, wonderful time.   This was the first in a series of four.  I can't wait for the next one!

The registration for our obstacle run goes live today.  I'm so excited (and nervous).  Being a race director require SO much planning, work and thought.  We're still four months away from our race and I already have a ton more respect for the work that a race director does!

i have my eyes on the Miami to Key West Ragnar in January 2014 as a possible next fitness goal.  I'm just putting it out there as I think about what is the next goal that look attainable.

Have a great day.

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Judy-no way. fabulous, favorite, or feroucious maybe but never floundering.

Julie-wtg on the goal.  I'm what I call, an "opportunistic runner". Meaning that after the years of getting to a good mileage base I just run what opportunity allows and what I want.  I think that for me that will mean ranging from 30-50 mile weeks. but if stuff happens there might be weeks with less.  could be a week with more.  The last 2 years of focusing on miles just got old.  Hard to carve out the time but funny how I now seem to find it easier than when I was carving.BUT, for you it is neat to watch the numbers come up that you didn't think were possible.  strong and getting stronger!! Just stay with that nice slow trajectory.  we, of all people, get that whole tortoise / hare story (painfully so), and all the cliches about pacing yourself, enjoying the journey not just the destination.  There is basis for all of those run related cliches.  if you can... look up and go to this event in Florida (that's where you are, right?).  DWD Green Swamp.   Watch the staging, talk to the folks who look to be in charge of volunteers.  If you do think you'll go I'll find out who from here is goign that I know.  It's put on by local run store and I know many of the people who organize their races.  They have this down to a science. The event there isn't as big as it's counterparts in Indiana, Wisconsin or Michigan (350 5-person relay teams).  Karen, Tessa have run Wisconsin with me, Karen Michigan with me.  They'll speak to organization level. it's an "obstacle" course event too.

http://dwd.runningfitsites.com/greenswamp-home

SRD for me.. last week I did 51 miles so figure cut back is good, plus felt better to sleep in.

You all will find this humourous.... at a gathering a young man (late 20's) was talking about the disconnect next gen will have with so many things so we started talking about raised numbers on credit cards, sayings which have no contextual basis anymore, etc.  Acrnonyms like "CC" and how they don't know that it stands for carbon copy or what that is.  I mentioned SNAFU definition. He didn't even know it WAS an acronym.

Lisa

LC Runs

Good Morning!

4 TM miles for me, just going slow n easy,  All day training today so looking forward to being out of the office.

Judy - sorry you're losing your exercise friend for awhile!

Julie - wtg on the monthly goal!  Swing dancing sounds fun Smile

Lisa - wow, great mileage!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Good morning.  Got up really early and did 10.2.  Had to be here at the airport by 7.  Waiting to board the plane here in about 15 min or so.

Julie I bet swing dancing is a lot of fun.

Lisa have a great SRD.  So true on the change in how things are done.  Heck hard to remember not having internet, GPS and cell phones.

Hi Laura and Judy

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

No run for me today, it's an SRD. And I'm going to miss Bodyflow as well - I have to spend the morning trying to rework some copy, with no direction from the client other than it "feels a little flat." Fun times.

Lisa - huh, I didn't know that snafu is an acronym either. I had to look it up. Julie is actually in upstate NY - she lives about 20 miles from where I grew up.

Julie - the swing dancing sounds like lots of fun!

Laura - how's the knee?

Marjorie - you must have been up really early to get 10 in!

Off to get some coffee and settle in with work. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

ginnyb

Goodmorning,

Ran 4 miles outside this morning, and the for the first time in a long time, it was a good run!  Thank goodness, I was beginning to wonder  Did my weights last night after work.

Day off today, have to work tomorrow.  I may take myself for a little shopping.

Karen.....I know you will get all the 50 states, you are determined.  Loved the pooh cartoon, I laughed out loud too, think it is so funny because pooh would never say something like that.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

Ended up riding my bike on the trainer after work last night. I got a power meter, which is apparently "the big thing" for training in cycling. Do I need it? Not for the amount of cycling I do, but I do think it will help my training. DH actually got it because it will also work on his TT bike, but unless he's racing that bike (which is not often), it's mine. Planning on running 7 this afternoon after work.

Julie, relays are a ton of fun. I have done a 100 mile relay in Vermont the last four years and love it. I have also done DWD relays with Lisa in Devil's Lake, WI and Hell, MI. And I did Ragnar DC last September. All very fun. I told my Ragnar DC team that I can't do it this year since they changed the dates to the weekend before my fall goal marathon. They are also thinking of possibly doing Ragnar Adirondacks, but I already have a commitment for that one as well. I have heard stories of people having bad relay experiences, but all of mine have been very positive. The swing dancing sounds like so much fun.

Lisa, funny how plans change, isn't it? I think 30-50 miles, what you can fit in, will work really well for you. Especially since you're so good at mixing up running on roads and trails and TM.

Laura, nice 4. Coming back nice and easy, well done.

Marjorie, that may explain the huge difference in mileage between you and me (and others). If I had to be at the airport by 7, I don't think I'd even consider running first!

Cindy, it feels a little flat? Good luck with that! I can feel your pain from here.

Ginny, yes! A good run for you!! That makes me so happy. And the day off....enjoy it!

Okay, back to work. At least only a couple more hours to go here - love Fridays!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Cindy I got up at 3.  Out running by 3;30.  Not typical as I usually don't go out until 4 but I woke up early, went to bed early etc.  since I had enough time to run it I did.  Since I won't get home until 3 because of lay overs it made best sense to just run and get it done.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a chiro visit and 6 recovery miles later.  Not sure if I'm floundering but I think so.

judyruns, I love cardio workouts like kickboxing and others but never find time for them.  Glad you're seeing a difference.

Julie, one missed run with that month is good.  I live in Miami so if you're heading my way for the relay, let me know!

Lisa, enjoy the well deserved rest.

LC Runs, nice run.  Ugh at the all day training.

Marjorie, have a safe trip back.

Cindy, hope you get that work done.  I know you will.  Enjoy the rest.

Ginny, glad you had a good run.

Karen, enjoy your 7 and nice bike workout last night.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

*giggle* When I see "Flounder", I think of the Little Mermaid VHS tape that DD practically wore out when she was little.

Strength training does increase arm muscle quickly, Judy!

Julie, good for you! Remember they're goals not mandates. Life sometimes gets in the way.

Lisa, good attitude towards mileage.

Credit cards still have raised numbers, don't they? I see the slidey things from time to time, mostly at places like expos where there isn't always a wifi connection or a power supply.

SNAFU, yes, and FUBAR, and most of this generation has never seen a typewriter. Or carbon paper. Or -- here I am REALLY dating myself -- green ledger books with 8 or 10 columns. One of my students texted me last night and said she couldn't get to class because her GPS wasn't working and she couldn't figure out how to get to the class without it. In her defense, she usually rides with a classmate and classmate does the driving, so she doesn't know the road that well. I recommended a Thomas Guide (paper map book) as an alternative to her undependable GPS.

Laura, good luck with the training. Better than an all day webinar.

Marjorie, safe travels! No cell phone? Unthinkable, according to my offspring.

Karen, for Fargo one would fly into Sioux Falls and we would either have DD come down and pick us up (she's an hour north) or rent a car. You're not cat allergic, are you?  Regarding Hoover Dam, I suspect Kennedy might clash with Valley of Fire, which is usually the weekend before Thanksgiving. So maybe Hoover would be better. I'm in if you are, I have Nevada but I'll do another there, no problem. (Except RnR Las Vegas. I have my standards.)

Cindy, the client needs to articulate the criticism better IMHO -- except isn't that why he is hiring you, because he can't write?

Ginny, glad you had a good run.

Hi Damaris!

No run this morning, I was just too tired. I will go at lunch. Sorry to miss a morning run the first day of the month, though. It seems like it starts out missing something.

And our tickets are booked for Hatfield-McCoy! (I wuv you Karen.) So looking forward to this. Oh damn. I suppose I should give DH the car keys for that week. And have the cats at my parents' house since he won't take care of them. Oh well.

Race tomorrow. Happy runs today!

Anonymous Guest

Tessa, I just looked up Valley of Fire. You're right, it's the same weekend as JFK. And it also says no marathon this year! Marathon is on hiatus in 2013. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Hoover Dam this December. Will wait until summer to register though (price doesn't go up again until 7/31). Although I hate Vegas, it's usually pretty cheap to fly into on Southwest, and the host hotel (3 miles from the start, and happily nowhere near the strip) is only $60/night. Horribly cheap, especially if I had someone to share the room with.

I will still do Valley of Fire some day, it may just have to wait until after I'm 50!

Damaris, from the other day, glad your hormones seem to finally be behaving!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Me too!  The weight off helps too!

Tessa, I just looked up Valley of Fire. You're right, it's the same weekend as JFK. And it also says no marathon this year! Marathon is on hiatus in 2013. Right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Hoover Dam this December. Will wait until summer to register though (price doesn't go up again until 7/31). Although I hate Vegas, it's usually pretty cheap to fly into on Southwest, and the host hotel (3 miles from the start, and happily nowhere near the strip) is only $60/night. Horribly cheap, especially if I had someone to share the room with.

I will still do Valley of Fire some day, it may just have to wait until after I'm 50!

Damaris, from the other day, glad your hormones seem to finally be behaving!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, I'm in! I am driving distance from Vegas so if you want I can pick you up -- no rental car needed. December 16?

No VoF this year? *sniff* I like that race. I wish they'd go back to what they did two years ago and have it the same weekend as Mesquite but have them on successive days. Doubling those two was fun.