Womens Running

Toodles Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

No clue what that means but sounds good.

Did all weight work yesterday today I cardio.

Lisa

Bikerchick1

Lisa - Havn't heard "toodles" in awhile Smile    Growing up we always used "toodle-loo" as good-bye...weird huh....  I bet you are looking forward to cardio today!

Tessa - Hope your knee is doing better!

Crazysue - Congratulations on your marathon!!!  You did awesome!!!

Hi to all!

I am loving my strength training classes....had a fun stability ball workout yesterday.  Dang ball had a mind of it's own LOL....def. am feeling these workouts in my arms.  Had a nice 45 minute trail run in the am.

you know, I am always chasing that last 10 pounds....so the trainer had me do a food diary.  She said I am not taking in enough calories....I suspected that was the problem.  Just needed to hear it.  She actually gained 13 pounds while training for a half , plus teaching her classes because she wasn't taking in enough to compensate.  So she "gets" the long distance running thing.

Carol

Good Morning!  Coach told me I had to rest again today.  I tried to sleep in--made it till 0520 and had to get out of bed.  Did a little sewing, which really makes me want to stay home all day and sew, but I came on in to work.  Stiffness/soreness is better, rub rash is not so tender.  Think I will live!  lol

Toodles!

ginnyb

Carol....so I am curious, you are not taking in enough calories and that makes you gain weight?  Am I missing something here.  Tell me more, because I really don't understand.

Looks like another spring-like day here today.  Too bad I have to work.  If it gets as warm as they say it is going to get , I may run after work, which is very unusual for me, but I feel I need to take advantage.

Morning Lisa..

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, the theory is that if you are not taking in enough calories then your body slows your metabolism as much as possible in order to conserve energy to keep you alive in famine conditions. It doesn't understand that you are restricting calories to try to remove fat from your body and that there is food available.

I'm not sold on the theory for many people -- worth a try if someone has truly been taking in few calories and her weight hasn't dropped, but way too many people say "well, I'm not eating enough, I should be chowing down more" and reach for the Doritos and the Heineken rather than the brown rice and the avocados.

Glad you are finally getting good weather.

Susan, know what you mean, I would love to stay home and quilt all day too. Not going to happen.

Marjorie, how annoying on forgetting the computer. I've done that. Had to take a train, then a bus, then drive home, get the thing, and reverse process. If I hadn't had a meeting that afternoon I would have stayed home and worked from there. I'm lost without my laptop.

Lisa, how much weight work are you doing?

Carol, toodle-oo? That's an old saying! Guaranteed to make teenagers cringe in horror if you utter it in front of their friends, too. *evil grin*

Managed an easy run this morning with RN (who was mostly WN), knee is feeling better. We have 15 on the schedule for Friday night so I hope the knee is up to that! I would go to the gym except I have a lunch meeting today, I might try tomorrow.

We were supposed to have rain, where is it?!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies! Sorry for being MIA but it looked like Monday exploded and I had to deal with so many things, it was not even funny.  Did 4.25 miles with hubby last night, and tonight it's 8 miles with strides.  Missed my weights last night due to lack of time so I'll try to make up for them today or tomorrow.

Tessa, I'm sorry about the knee.  Hope it recovers soon and it sounds like it has so far.

Lisa, nice weight session.  Enjoy the cardio.

Carol, I sometimes gain weight for not eating too much.  Keep track of those calories and nice weight session.

Ginny, hope Spring is there to stay.

Marjorie, what did you do to your babies that they are looking so sad in your avi?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ginnyb

I have a question about shin splints.  My poor daughter has been trying to run for over a year now and she suffers terribly with the shin splints!  She really wants to run a 5k, but nothing seems to help.   It isn't like she runs a few times and quits and then starts up again, she is trying constantly to no avail.  Over the winter she used an eliptical and had no problems, but as soon as she tries to run the shin splints are back.  I feel bad for her, she is trying so hard and we want to run a 5K together!  Shoes?

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

I would start with the shoes.  Also, is she running too fast?  My husband has shin splint issues that come and go.  He sometimes has good weeks and sometimes he has to rest.  But if they start hurting from the get go, something else is going on.

My husband was reading this medical article about shin splints and what causes them.  I'll try to find it.

My husband run/walks (that helps, especially at a shorter ratio of 5:1) and uses a brace for running (more compression than compression sleeves).  This is the first week he has run without the brace in 8 months.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SugarLand

Ginny - I suffered from shin splints doctor suggested that I start running in motion control shoes and it worked - Be sure to tell her to stretch and stretch her calf muscles as much as she can during the day - the "stick" also works great on the calf muscles - I run in Asics Gel Kayano they are pricey but you should be able to find last year's model on sale @ runningwarehouse.com.

Marjorie - could you send me the info on the brushes you bought to paint with - I need to paint living room with high ceilings - thanks

Tessa - glad your knee is starting to feel better

Ran 4 last night will run another 4 with 5 x 200 for speed work

Hi to all - have a wonderful day

Blessings

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

D it is their selfie picture I took of them on FB. I think it is cute

i ran 4.2. The ART appointment went well. A few deep muscles are still lingering but my motion at least is back. I also was able to maintain race pace on my run today with no problems

hour Pilates done too

Tessa I can't work without my computer. I was also afraid the last receipt would show up on my company credit card that wasn't there when I did my expense report on Friday. We have to totally reconcile everything by month end. If I'd said I would just stay home, I'd have had the bad luck of logging in and having that show up. I have to be in the office to do it because I have to print a special page to send with it Via faxI can't print work stuff at home. It sucks.  If they'd only let us scan stuff!

doggies got new bling today. Their new ID tags arrived. The print is small but they are so cute!

hope the knee continues to improve Tessa

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Vicki I will message you the link on FB to the holder I bought.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Aaaahhhhh, back home. No running yesterday or today. Ate way too much crap. Back on the bandwagon tomorrow.

Ginny, when I was getting shin splints, a running coach looked at my form (I did a one day chi running seminar) and said it was because I pushed off with my toes. He had me work on lifting my foot up and placing it back down and once I got into the habit of doing that, my shin splints went away. Although they tend to come back when I run in shoes with too many miles on them still. Is there a running store in your town where someone can look at her gait?

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Well dad's wife's birthday is while they are here fir Easter.

More Karma points for me. I will do the right thing and do something for her birthday. Just ordered a gift.  I know she is big into presents  Guess we can go out to eat and get her cake.

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

Ginny - TEssa did a great job explaining the low calories = weight gain.  I do agree with her tho, that many time people are thinking they aren't eating that much.  But I think that when combined with doing long distance running, it is easy to come up short on calories, especially if you are trying to lose weight (always).  It is like your body starts holding on to fat to sustain.

Damarias - It is frustrating to gain weight while thinking you should lose isn't it!  How is recovery doing?

Crazysue - Sounds like you fared pretty well on your post marathon soreness!

Marjorie - Love your dogs "selfie's"!  Glad you were able to run at RP!  Your Dad/wife are coming to your house for Easter?  That is good, right?  I was wondering how they were doing.

Tessa - glad your knee is feeling somewhat better!

Karen - Welcome home!

SDO today.  Did get DH out for a walk around the block....with much sighing on his part. 

After work run tomorrow.

Carol

I don't have any problem with not eating enough.

Had good second call today and will have a 3rd on Thursday with possible onsite in a week or two in PA.

good advice for shin splint avoidance.

Enjoy Disney!!

Lisa