Womens Running

Winter Spring weekend dailies (Read 19 times)

ginnyb

sitting here talking myself out of a 5k this morning.  I just have gotten so wussy with this cold weather, wind chill in the upper teens in April?  Nope, gonna stay home.  It’s a local race, but still going to be no show.  Now I’m feeling guilty? Been talking to myself like this since about 4 this morning.  GD has softball. Game too, but yesterday was cancelled because of the cold.

liz...I have narrow feet too and have a terrible time finding shoes, running and otherwise!  Where do you find regular shoes?

Hi to everyone I will be back

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Kilmisters

Ginny, I think it's fine to skip a race if the weather is awful and you wouldn't enjoy being there!

Just checking in to say that I got thru the week, but it was as tough as it gets. Either floorball or going to sleep right after running home from work. Right after. Another Saturday waking up at 1pm to ''reload''. Next week w bronze medal game and race won't be easier. At least thankfully game will be on Thursday (not Friday as rumored) so it's not a back-to-back.

Have a peaceful weekend, everyone Smile

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

7.2 wet miles for me this morning. Heading to core soon!

Pretty good run! RAIN. Not just sprinkling rain either. Pouring. It started off at 53 and normally I would wear shorts in that weather, but I put pants on because the temperature was predicted to drop to 39 in an hour. Glad I did! The last two miles the rain picked up and so did the wind along with the temperature drop. FREEZNG.

I am ending this week at 56. Right where I want to be! Next week is the big 6-0!

We have errands to run this morning and then we are heading up north (about an hour) to my SIL parents' house. Her birthday was Thursday and they are celebrating by making homemade pizza! Her family is Italian and her dad makes everything from scratch. YUM YUM. Its delicious! And he only makes it on her birthday Smile AND her favorite cake is my favorite - so I am picking one up from my favorite bakery on the way. Pizza + cake + beer?! PERFECT SATURDAY! Haha

Sandy - Good luck on that cold run today!

Cathy - GOOD LUCK ON THE 5K TODAY!

Run4kupcakes - THANK YOU for your feedback on the Sky’s! The lower drop would have bothered me too. I was thinking about getting those, too. Thanks! I am going to try the Shadow and see how those work. Nice sped work miles yesterday! I would think a stand desk in a cube would be awkward Smile

Ginny - Could you go to the gym and do a 5K on the treadmill? That might make you feel better and you will be in the warmth. I don’t blame you for skipping it..I feel like you haven’t caught a break with this cold! Running shoes..Mizuno Wave Riders are my favorite. I like the toe box in my Saucony Triumphs for shorter runs though. As for regular shoes…I am a flats girl and have a hard time finding them, too! I have to go into DSW or a place like that and try them on. The flats I have now are:

https://www.belk.com/p/jellypop-indy-almond-toe-flat/2900714JPMMBS235.html?dwvar_2900714JPMMBS235_color=235280632618#start=12

I have that color and black. They are super comfortable. For play shoes I LOVVEE Vans!

Kilmisters - What a perfect title!! Haha. Glad you survived the week! GOOD NEWS that you have a day in between game day and race day. Are you excited for race?!! Tough week over this way, too!

Okay. I am off to Core class. Talk with you ladies later!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Ginny, I was supposed to do a 25K today.  I am here at the race, but dropped to the 10K, which I don't even want to do.  It is dark out still, I'm hoping for sunrise before the race starts as I don't have a headlamp.  I would rather be back in bed.  Should have just stayed there...  at least you didn't drive 2 hours to be miserable as in my case

Hi to all.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Kilmisters

Lizzie, nice miles! Downpour runs are almost always relaxing (unless it's a LR and you're freezing to death). The rain seems to clear all the stupid thoughts away. That's so cool about home-made Italian pizza! We tried one (family-owned pizza place, closest you will get Smile) in Rome - it was great! As for the race; I have waaay too much stuff to manage (all areas: family, work, floorball) till then, so I'll probably think about it... Well... On Friday eve Big grin

Kat, we are no pros, so running for fun... Good decision to drop to 10k. Hoping the miserable feeling goes away once the race starts.

Trying to motivate myself to go out for at least 6mi before NHL matinee. Go Philly!

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

dhuffman63

Trails

It's 26 here and snowed over night.  The race I was to volunteer at cancelled yesterday so I stayed in bed.  Got up a little bit ago, made some pancakes and am drinking coffee.  A little later I'll do my 15 miles on the TM cause my happy butt isn't going anywhere near outside.

Ginny I despise the cold and am keeping a close eye on the temp for the trail marathon on the 21st.  If it's going to be like the PS 50k was I'll just stay home and do the TM instead.  It's further N than me so bad weather is possible giving the crappy weather we have already had.

Lizzie I love the wide toe boxes on my Altra's.  I wear Injinji socks on the trails and have not seen a blister since switching even if my foot moves around some.

Hang in there Elina 

Kat how did the 10k go?

Good luck Cathy.

Anyone else racing?

Hi to everyone off for more coffee.

Quick hello!  On my way to Napa Valley 50k with a RC friend. My dear lovely DH offered to drive us, about 2 hrs each way.  Has been raining hard since Thurs night but suppose to stop around race time.  Going to be hilly and muddy as heck but I’m excited since I haven’t done this race or these trails before.

Good luck to anyone else racing. And no need to feel bad if you decided not to!  This stuff is supposed to be fun. If you are’t feeling it, then save it for another day.

Have a good day, all!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

We had storms overnight and when I got up this morning it was still drizzling. Probably stopped by 7, but I'll never know because I wasn't feeling it, so I posted in the group fb page that I wasn't going and texted the one guy that I knew was going saying I wasn't. And then I went back to bed. Now I'm drinking coffee and waiting for our internet to come back (I'm using my phone as a hotspot right now). I'll run later as temps are dropping all day. Plus I forgot the neighborhood is having a work day cleaning and staining the dock and I said we were busy (because I was supposed to be running and DH doing his group ride), so I can't very well run by there while they're all working!

So it sounds like Margaret gets the prize for actually going to her race/run and being excited about it. Second prize to Kathryn for going to her race and to Liz for running in the rain.

Ginny, Diane and I will enjoy our coffee. And Elina.....well I don't know what time it is there right now but I think she's on the side of us slackers since she slept until 1 pm!

I finally told DH about the toilet seat. The old one was that heavy compressed wood stuff and this one is plastic and shiny. And lightweight - you'd think he'd notice that since he has to lift it up to pee. But he went in there several times before I finally told him and then he was all "well, would you look at that!" He cracks me up. This morning he went into the master bathroom and asked if I had another fancy one ordered to replace that one.

Getting excited about Boston. First weather reports are cloudy and 50 - woohoo! I know it could change a ton between now and then, but since my wave doesn't start until almost 10:30, a nice cool cloudy day would be appreciated.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Kilmisters

Good luck, Margaret!

Diane, good luck w 15mi on TM... Do you listen to podcasts or smth? 15mi is crapload of time on that machine (maybe Damaris would disagree, tho Big grin).

Karen, FWIW, I was still drinking coffee at noon Eastern time. Usual stuff - intense 5 days at work followed by ''I don't even want to move" weekend. That's so funny about DH - in 95% of the cases men don't notice the most obvious things until they are pointed out to them directly...

Was planning 6mi, but the weather out here is so beautiful... So I ran 11 - slight deviation from plan Smile NHL in 2hrs!

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Went to OTF this morning and ran 2.73 there (endurance day, yay).  Unfortunately, I had to row 2000m and now my arms need CPR.  Waiting for hubby to get off my TM to run 6.

Ginny, there will be other races.  No need to run when you don't want to.

Elina, Reloading is good.  Enjoy!

Liz, nice run.  Hope you enjoyed core class.  Nice 11.

Kat, hoping you had a good race.

Diane, 15 on the TM is hard core.  Go, go, go.

Margaret, good luck!

Karen, sounds like the right call.  So exciting about Boston.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

6 TM miles done.  The first mile was like WTF, I'm so sore, but after that, they went by quickly.  Perfect tired legs for tomorrow's 20 miler on the TM.  I have my KK donuts and my Mtn Dew ready. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Ginny, I do hope you enjoyed your day without the race.  Mine was pretty chilly, bed sounded better.  I WISH my feet were narrow.  I have fat pudgy and HUGE boats.  Makes finding cute shoes hard.

Elina, awesome run! Glad the weather was conducive to it.  Hope hockey was as good.

Lizzie, other than a very wet run, it sounds like a kick ass Saturday for you!  Homemade pizza, haven't had that since I was a kid.  Since my folks aren't Italian, it might not be quite as good.  Or nowhere near close.  Love my Mom, but not all her attempts were on target.  Worst, Corn Casserole.  Yuck.

Diane, hope your 15 TM miles went well.  Don't skip your race due to the cold.  OK, that is a bit of a double standard coming from the chick who downgraded to a mere 10K because of the weather...   Smile  Do what puts you in your happy place.

Margaret, how did the 50K go?  Mud fest??

Karen, good job on the toilet seat.  I initially thought you were changing out the entire toilet. I did that once, never again.  That is what plumbers are for.  Funny DH never noticed.  Boston, wahooooo.  The weather was shit here today too.

Damaris, KK and Mountain Dew, awesome.  20 on the TM, stronger woman than me...

Yes, I went to the damn race.  Alarm at 3am, up at 4, gone by 4:30am for the 2 hour drive.  Temp was 62 at home at 4am when I left and dropped to 48 at the race start, with a WICKED COLD awful wind.  Got to the race and realized that the 25K started in the dark.  Combo that (i.e., no headlight) with the cold and wind, I ALMOST turned around and just went home.  Dropped down to the 10K instead with a later start and still had to talk myself into heading back to the starting line.  Race was meh.  Not my favorite course, nothing too exciting.  Lots of puddles and a fair amount of minor mud.  And a stream crossing.  There was no way to keep the feet dry.  Some interesting hills - both up and down that were mud.  Felt for the woman I was with, it was her first trail race ever and she was in road shoes.  At a certain point I stuck with her to make sure she was OK and having fun.  She was fine and did have fun, I think.  She is a true trail runner now, she fell twice!  (Both easy and on her bum in mud.)  SUPER DUPER pissed though at a different runner.  She was struggling to get onto a narrow bridge after a muddy downhill and a fast runner turned the corner and came barreling down at her.  He saw her, he could have been polite and lost, what, 10 seconds, to make sure he didn't push her off the bridge.  Instead he flew past her.  Quite frankly, it was both rude and dangerous.  ASS.

Drove 2 hours home.  OK, possibly with a stop at the outlet mall on the way.  Picked up a cute pair of sunglasses.  Didn't need them, but whatever.  Napped a bit and now futzing around with a new project.  Trying to paint wine glasses.  So far it is pretty sad and pathetic but kinda fun.

Have an excellent night and Sunday all.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Arimathea

Tessa

16.5 today. I have slowed down noticeably. 4 hours on feet. But at least I managed it.

Dropping off at the table, so hi everyone and goodnight.

Kilmisters

Damaris, are donuts for LR fueling or post-run meal?

Tessa, well, you ran 16.5mi, which is more than (insert number close to 100 here)% of population has ever done. You managed it.

NHL last night was awesome, Flyers won 5:0 and clinched a play-off spot. They will face Pittsburgh in arguably fiercest current NHL rivalry (nicknamed Battle of Pennsylvania), so I will lose not only lots of sleep but nerves too in upcoming weeks Smile Last time they faced each other in play-offs was 6yrs ago and it was insane. I watched every minute of that match-up. There are so few true NHL fans in Latvia that those, uhm, 3 that I know (Big grin) - we're currently discussing EVERYTHING related to play-offs. It's like - you wake up to dozens of messages from each, w topics usually overlapping.

Planning a 6mi run today as I might not get one in tomorrow (unless I wake up very early) - have funeral to attend. Hoping my co-worker will manage my reports nicely while I am absent.

Seloc

Lizzie - hope you got some action this weekend!    Killer weekly miles.  I think my body will break into pieces if I ran that much.  Oh man, homemade pizza sounds SO good!  And cake!  Glad you got some good info at the running store!  Yikes on the expensive Nimbus.

Tessa - oh yes, I love the flexibility of WFH!  Especially in bad weather.  I just don't think I could do it full time - I think I would go stir crazy.  16.5 mi is not joke!  No matter how fast or slow so GREAT JOB.  I'll have to check out The Alice Network.  My sister just sent me The German Girl which she said was pretty good.

Damaris - ahhhh clicks on the dreadmill and speed - got it!  Totally agree on getting more done at home - no one to talk to so less distractions!  My boss likes us to be in the office but is also completely fine with us WFH especially in bad weather.  And Fridays have become an always WFH which is fine by me - log in earlier to log off earlier.

Ginny - I'm with others - running and racing should be fun!  This is our hobby, not our job so no obligations!

Elina - oh man I do not know how you juggle everything so successfully!  And now you will be doing it on no sleep to watch NHL??  You crack me up.

Diane - they canceled the race because of cold?  Hope you are feeling better and got in a good 15.

Gatsby - hope you had a great race! Super nice for DH to be your Uber.

Karen - LOL cracking up at needing to avoid the neighborhood work day.  Hope you got in a nice run!  One more week until Boston - woohoo!  When do you fly out?

Kat - oh wow, you drove 2 hours to run 10K?!  Now THAT is pretty badass.

Went to the group run yesterday and did 14mi  PLENTY chilly 12* at the start 20* at the end.  Out and back along the river - happy the wind was in our face on the way out.  Finally warmed up at the turn-around!  Grabbed a quick cup of coffee, said hello to the dad who's son is the one we were remembering and bolted.  Brought an RB who drove so I stripped down in the car haha.  Then we stopped for a beer - her thing she ALWAYS does.  Since I only changed the top half my pants were kinda damp so I had minor shivers but not too bad!!  Then it was a whole lotta nothin though I did manage to swing through the grocery and get some laundry done.  Now I'm just wasting time waiting for it to warm up to get a few miles in.  Currently 16*.  Snow coming this afternoon.  Oh happy day /sarcasm.  I will be on the couch watching the Masters.  That's all from here.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!