Womens Running

I have to get out there this morning, Tuesday (over 40) (Read 286 times)

ginnyb

I really do!  My motivation is waning again and I have another half in 3 weeks, YIKES!

Very nice trip with Lisa and Susan last night.  The circumstances were not the best of course, but still....There were so many people to pay their respects to Karnel and her family, when we left there was still a very long line..  The showing was at the Church and they had a slide show of Karnels life playing on 2 walls.  When we walked in almost the first thing we saw was this huge picture of Karnel, Lisa and I at the Stomping the Grapes Half that we did together a couple of Novembers ago.  We had such a good time there, Karnel was your best friend as soon as you met her.  Unbelievable how many lives she touched.  Talking with her brother, husband, and parents we found out that wherever she went she was the same way....becoming a friend to everyone.  So nice to be able to talk about her with her family and they truly were touched that we made the trip and how important running was to her.  I am sure Lisa and Susan will have more to add and much more eloquently than I have done.  I am just very glad that we went.  We are so blessed to have known Karnel for the little time that we did.  Wish we knew why these things happen, hopefully in the end we will understand..

We were quite hungry on the way home, and we were out in the country let me tell you.  On our way to a slightly larger town to find a McDonalds or pizza joint, we passed "hot Dog Heaven"  WAs that it?  No, the name is wrong, but it was Hot Dog something, Anyway, we decided to take a chance.  What a neat place!  Inside was sparkling clean and looked like a 50's diner.  Great burger and fries and wonderful company, was a nice way to come down after the emotion of the showing.  

All you ladies are so special and I am very fortunate to have you all in my life, we truly have a bond between us all.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Your post was eloquent. Thank you for being there in our stead. :::hug:::  Hopefully they have an answer to the physical reason for her passing so suddenly from us all.

Monday I started my warmup on the track when I saw Fast Buddy. He and I were both testing new shoes, orthotic inserts, etc. so we did 40 minutes while discussing our aches, pains and shoes. He got new Asics. I had suggested that I felt they would help his aches and darned if he didn’t listen to me! Big grin

I was testing Brooks Ghost 4 shoes. I was rolling all over the place!  Big grinThey were nice but I can see that I need stability shoes for sure. Smile

Today will be another shoe test for me, this time Brooks Adrenaline 12s. I have been running in Brooks Adrenaline 10s and like them.

Happy runs, All! :::hugs:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Was a very large turnout with a line that stretched throughout the church.

Karnel is very loved, respected and people certainly came out to honor her memory. Susan, Ginny, and myself shared how Karnel had touched our lives around the country with her happy and positive outlook.

Bill seemed surprised to see us there but yet wasn't as he realized how many friends his wife has. We had signed everyone here's name to the card along with their state. His sister seemed touched to learn how far and wide people were holding Karnel in their thoughts.

We shared our desire to hold a virtual race in her honor and she is going to look into some way to make it easier to donate to the family.

I can't imagine what these kids and bill have in front of them. Here one minute then gone the next. No idea what the cause was as we weren't about to ask.

There was a slide show going with photos of Karnel.  When we walked in there was Karnel, Ginny and I at the Stomp the Grapes half. Actually 4 or 5 pictures from that race with Karnel and Ginny or myself. Clearly our group of ladies and being active were a big part of her life.

The virtual run will be a perfect tribute.

(last night's FB post from me) 

Lisa

Good morning all!

Nothing much to add.  I, too, am truly glad we made the trip to pay tribute to Karnel.  We kept thinking don't cry, don't cry, Karnel would not want us to cry.  But I'm sure everyone in that room was bawling inside.  Poor Karnel's dad - he just sat there, I'm sure in shock and sadness.  We talked to her mom and mother-in-law too.  All were truly grateful.  I'm going to ask a friend who set up a donation site how she did it and how it works so we can perhaps set up something for Karnel.  We asked Bill's sister about the "foundation" and she suggested we donate to any education fund, to which we applied, no we mean fund for the kids.  They are such unassuming, grateful people.  And like Lisa and Ginny said they were truly touched by the thoughts and prayers from far and wide.  Know that all your names were listed on the card.

Oh and the place was Hound Dog Hop.  It even had one of those 50's style hops during the summer.  As Ginny wrote - the inside was immaculate.  The service was great.  Here's their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HoundDogHop.  Wondering if we should write a thank you.

Nothing much else new - ran yesterday morning and as I ran up a hill, thinking this is hard, I thought, not as hard as it is for Bill so I took each step for him, trying to be strong.  Hopefully, we can continue to offer them strength in prayers, thoughts, and maybe a card or two now and then for the kids and Bill.  This is the time that things are going to get hard - when they truly realize the emptiness in the quiet. 

Well long day at work - so I should get moving.  Peace to all of you.  Happy running!

Susan

camille2

Susan, Lisa and Ginny,  thanks so much for going to represent us and for sharing this morning. 

mommymac

Shoot - I just lost my post! It seems you can't go back to re-read on this forum.

What a wonderful thing you ladies did, traveling to pay your respects. How emotional it must have been to see a picture of yourselves taking part in fun, fitness, and friendship. Do you know the ages of their kids?

Still no running here; trying to be patient while looking at the bigger picture. Anything with the spine makes me think "take your time!"

A little snow in the air here, but waiting until the calendar says December before starting any holiday decorating.

Sounds like everyone's race calendars are filling up for next year! Ginny, good luck with your upcoming half. Maybe I'll be good to go for a New Year 5K.

Enjoy the sun if you have it and the calming snowfall if you're up north.

Carolyn 

Ooh, I just relaized the previous posts are on the bottom of the page!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Good morning. 10.6 for me today. Lisa Ginny and Susan thanks for representing us yesterday.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Thanks to the three of you for going. I'm sure Karnel's family appreciated it.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

I love the idea of a virtual race for Karnel.  Any ideas on when?  Again, I'm so thankful the 3 of you went to represent us.

Judy, I just tried the Brooks ghost also but one rubbed my heel. I returned them and hoped to find the Cumulus on the web marked down, but no luck. I'll get another pair at LRS tomorrow. I badly need new ones and had hoped to find a more perfect shoe.

Karen, loved you bike pic.  Nice!

Julie, are your sure you don't want a Bald Buster sweatshirt?  Smile    I need the hill training and know I won't do one that big on my own.  I hope we can at least meet for coffee. I've met some BF folks, but no WF people yet.

Carolyn, I'm still finding my way around, too.

Marjorie, thanks for your work getting us over here.

I don't think I told you about the results of the turkey trot I did.  It's the second year and grew from 150 last year to 950 this year, plus a half and 10k.  They had a few growing pains.  It took a few days to get the results up and mine came up at 23:48.  Let me tell you how tempting it was to let that go on my Athlinks page of results.  Smile  Would have been a huge pr!  However, I did the right thing and emailed the race director that while I wished I could claim it, that wasn't close to my real time time.  The corrected time is still fast, for me, but I think the course was short.

I have to finish a project by Friday, so better get with it.  Have a great day!

Thank you Lisa, Susan and Ginny for going to Karnel's visitation.  I know the family must have appreciated your attendance. 

Pouring rain this morning.  I went back to sleep.  The pilates fusion class is this afternoon, so I will hit the treadmill before class and get a couple of miles in. 

Worked on my Christmas sewing and knitting last night.  I am trying to plan so I don't have the crazy panic in a few weeks!  The kids want money for certain projects, so that will be easy.  Toss in a set of running/workout gear for each and I am done!  Just need to figure out Dad and Mom's husband (should he be my step father?  They have only been married two years.  Nice guy, but I don't really think of him as my step dad).  The rest will get (hopefully) a box of cookies and candies.  Will start baking the annual Chex Mix-a-thon this weekend.   

Think I will finish knitting Mom's cowl this week.  Need to finish second sock for DIL and cowl for DD.  I don't have to mail those so I am going to finish Mom's present first. 

Are you making many gifts?

ginnyb

I did run 3 miles this morning and felt good!  Work is already getting on my nerves and it is only 10!  Not a good sign.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Thank you to the Ladies that went and represented the group at the Family Visitation.  I did not know Karnel, but I can surely see that she had a huge impact on this group.  I look forward to running the virtual run in her honor.  

No running, no WT, no core today!  It's my anniversary!   19 years ago, I married the love of my life.  He's a gift from God and is a huge cheerleader for my running.  DH definitely goes in the keeper column   

(I tried to insert a picture here... but, couldn't figure that out)

Busy girl today.   Gotta get for now.  

Have a wonderful day

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Good morning, girls. I want to add my thanks to Susan, Lisa, and Ginny for representing us at the funeral. We are all so grateful you were able to be there.

No run today, 48 min. on the elliptical and then some abs and butt.

Julie, apparently to post a picture, you have to save it someplace online and then insert the web page. I haven't figured it out yet. I tried with a picture I have in FB, but it didn't work. Maybe you have to save pics in Flickr? I don't know.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Ok, I figured out the picture thing. You can't upload from your computer hard drive, but you can from anyplace on the web, including your FB page. So you go to the picture you want to upload, right click and select  "Open image in new window." Then you can copy the URL from that new window into the place for the URL in the image select box here. 

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Anonymous Guest

Just realized it is the last weekend of the month, which means I have to put together an enewsletter. Ugh. I actually like doing it, but sometimes, like this morning, I just don't feel the creative vibes I need to write articles that make things to do with asphalt interesting. Days like this I envy people that do marketing in fields that are actually interesting.

For pictures, I used a picture from facebook yesterday. If you want to share a picture from there, open the pic, right click and choose Copy Image URL, then paste that URL into the box here. An easy way to get a pic here is to use this site: http://tinypic.com/. You just choose your file off of your computer, then upload. It will spit out several URL formats, but just choose the bottom one "Direct Link for Layouts". Apparently in the little box here you have to put in the URL and also fill in the Image Description box. I tried it out with this pic from the Cody's Crew 5K (the first time it didn't work because I didn't put anything in the description box:

Cody's Crew 5K

crazysue, I'm impressed with your gift making.I'm taking the easy route this year. Brother, sister and I decided our gifts to each other would be not having to figure out what to get each other, so no gifts. My sister noticed my parents really liked her son's iPad, so the three of us are going in together to get them one for Christmas. And I'm letting DH get his own gifts, since I know he wants bike stuff, but I don't know enough to get what he wants/needs.

carolyn, just rain here thank goodness. I've done a 5K in Baltimore the last two New Year's Days. I like it and it's a good way to start the year. Will probably do the same race again this year. It was that race last year that made me realize I'd gotten fat and slow, and when I decided to lose some weight!

Happy Anniversary Julie and Mr. Julie!! It does sound like he's a keeper. Any plans to celebrate?

Morning to all!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel