2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 200 times)

need2tri

Congratulations DW and Fishy

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Nice work Boston runners. It looks like the temperature was higher than ideal with the sun peaking out a lot. Not brutal hot but still warm enough to make a negative difference. I have a friend who ran it as well (~2:58 last year) and ended up slowing down a lot in the last 10 miles and finished at 3:11. I am probably going to wait until tomorrow to text him as he is probably frustrated.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - thanks, I can see how you'd get some stronger legs from all the new stimulus.

Dave - excellent news win the long run.

1000ft over 8 miles is insanely hilly!

Fishy -you beat Meb by 8 minutes!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just a quick check in as I haven’t read anything on here since my last post…but I checked out Strava to see the Brighton marathon results and I also got a “you might want to follow Flavio” when scrolling further down….so of course I recognised the name and….

Flavio ran a Sub 3 marathon???  Nope, my brain can’t process that right now. If it’s true then well done! 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Hi all!  Thanks for following and the kind words.  I was on pace for a sub 3 and the heat kicked in at @20.  Coincidently right around heartbreak hill.  I had been drinking every mile and dumping water on my head at every aid station but it just wasn’t meant to be todayπŸ₯²

there were a ton of runners suffering and walking for the last 4 miles.  Even at my slower pace I passed hundreds down this stretch and was rarely passed.  My overall placement based on bib number bears this out.  Nice consolation prize was finishing in the top 100 for my AG.  Only 87 runners in my group managed sub 3 today and sadly I wasn’t one of them.

Gonna lick my wounds a bit and be back at it soon. I’ve got a good base and don’t plan to squander itπŸ˜‚

Race report to follow…

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

Thanks Flavio!  We all knew I was faster than Meb!πŸ‘. I also beat former Bruin Zelenograd Chara….he’s off to run London lol.

Pain is my friend

I am still around. Feel free to post here or send me a message.

Krash If you're around I might wanna pick your brain a bit on endurance challenges. Mostly the training aspect. I'm probably doing at least one this year. Possibly an 8 hour in August actually. Funny, it looks like a LOT of us on here suddenly got into trail running.

Ultra running is getting fun. Im still only running about 55 miles a week. Last week was another 9k vert week. Most of it was in 2 runs.

Monday: easy 5

Tuesday: 7 miles tempo about 7:30 pace. Then a 2 mile uphill TM workout. Started at 10% and 15 min pace. Then slowly bumped it up to 12% and 13:30. Only had time for 2 miles. 1100ft vert.

Wed- easy

Thur- easy

Friday was 3100 ft climb in 5 miles. 11miles of trail. His a skechy ridgeline with snow on it. Some places were about 1 foot wide on the ridge. fun times.

Saturdays long run was 17.4 miles on trail with 4100 ft of vert. Half of the vert was in the last 7 miles.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks Flavio!  We all knew I was faster than Meb!πŸ‘. I also beat former Bruin Zelenograd Chara….he’s off to run London lol.

He was a great hockey player but I can't imagine his build is very suited to long distance running lol.  Well done Fishy!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Fishy - it was about 70F at the end, you had a GREAT day under the conditions. Many/most of the others I was tracking crashed HARD. Anything in the 60s is tough because we've been training in chillier winter/spring temps. I have rarely done well in spring marathons. Now eat all the food!

Dave

Fishyone

Fishy - it was about 70F at the end, you had a GREAT day under the conditions. Many/most of the others I was tracking crashed HARD. Anything in the 60s is tough because we've been training in chillier winter/spring temps. I have rarely done well in spring marathons. Now eat all the food!

Thanks Dave…yeah Boston is “sneaky” hot.  The tailwind only served to keep the bubble of warmth around you LOL.  Had Chick Fil A for lunch and it was the Best!  Time for dessert nowπŸ˜‚πŸ¦πŸ¨

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It was a hard day.  Sun was out from the start and very little shade.  The pollen was very high also, and I had to use my asthma inhaler during the race (first time in about 6 years for that).

Longer race report is coming, but essentially I passed the woman leading my division at mile 10 (earlier than I expected) and she was already struggling.  From there I just tried to preserve the win and bring it in safely, which felt like an accomplishment today.

It was a lifetime personal worst for the marathon by 15 minutes, but I'm ok with that.

Also 

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

dw - great pic, congrats on the win!! I’ll take a PW and a trophy any day.

Time for dessert nowπŸ˜‚πŸ¦πŸ¨

I ran Boston in 2019 which was similar conditions but a little less sun. It was brutal, my toughest marathon ever (aside from my first, for which I was ridiculously undertrained). I went out that night and met some forum people for dinner, then went back and saw the hotel shop had Ben & Jerry’s. I bought a pint and just devoured it. That really hit the spot. And oh man did I sleep that night, it was Ambien-level.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Great effort darkwave and Fishy.  Sounds very tough.

darkwave - How did you know you were passing the leader of your division?

I did my strength training and drills at 6am yesterday due to a workshop all day and got a very sharp pain in my left calf.  It was hard to walk all day but felt considerably better today so I tested it for a shakeout and felt basically fine, probably wouldn't have thought about it on a normal day.  Went to the physio who was happy it's no major but he sent me for an ultrasound and x-ray just in case.  Initial feedback from the ultrasound is there's a small spot where I said the pain was but very insignificant.  I'll have a phone consult with the physio on Thursday once he's reviewed them but I'll still plan to race on Sunday.  My coach has changed my session tomorrow from tempo into 4 x 500 metres hard to just a short tempo block.  If I hadn't gotten Covid and this was marathon week, I'd be going out of my mind.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - It's nice to see you dropping by. How's it going with your running? Are you still a runner or turned into a full time golfer by now ?
                              You are god damn right I did it! I've followed yours and Cal's advice.
                              The more impressive achievement though was that I had a 6-pack for the first time since I was 19yo.
                              I've been doing my best to make inappropriate jokes and to sneak memes into this thread to spice it up a bit.

Also, where's Calbears? We need him back!

Fishy - Now that you've beat Meb, I guess the next logical target would be Sisay Lemma ? You'll have to hit the gym though for that one 😁

DW - time does not matter when you're competing for positions. I'm sure Matt Centrowitz does not care about his 3:50 in the Rio Olympics.
                              I'm also curious how did you know she was your competitor, did you have like a special colour bib ? Did you glue a picture of her in your wrist?

Steve - Holy crap, you need to sprinkle yourself with some holy water!

me - I hit the track today for a workout, 4x200 @ race pace. It was glorious! This is the life!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

Congrats to both fishy and darkwave. Great photo, darkwave! I was going to ask if you get one of those laurel things if you win. Very cool!

And Steve and flavio beat me to asking, but:

I'm also curious how did you know she was your competitor, did you have like a special colour bib ? Did you glue a picture of her in your wrist?

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Glass City Marathon, 3:29:53. Saw deer; cried; didn't melt in rain or heat.