Job offer in Nashville. (Read 675 times)

DH got a job offer in Nashville, we have to give them a number on Monday. I know some of you are from there. We would be looking to move to a suburb 20-30 minutes outside of Nashville. We have a 4 and 8 yr old so schools are an issue. The 8yr old is gifted and has some behavior issues so schools are him are extremely important. What's the cost of living? This has come up so suddenly I actually don't even know what to ask. Anything you can offer would be great. Since I am sitting here in an ice storm with my kid's home for a snow day, the weather change sounds like heaven. LOL
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nashville is a great place to live, run, work!! I only have a second now cuz I'm trying to get the kiddos out the door to school. Loads of places to live and what you chose will depend on where the job is. Many folks move either to the Bellevue area (which is right next to a runners' paradise, Percy Warner Park) and many move to Brentwood. Do you know where the job is? Cost of living is very reasonable and middle Tennessee in general has thrived over the past years. We did have a touch of ice last night Big grin Many people who come here end up staying longer than planned...happily! And many who leave move back. We also have 4 marathons IN Nashville, as well as copious races at more reasonable distances...great running scene.

Hey, nice marmot!

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

an amazing likeness

www.zipskinny.com Might have some information that will assist.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The business is in the West End of Nashville if that helps. I hear you have a problem with monkey's though. The realtor my husband talked to said Brentwood would be an hour and half commute to work. I am a stay at home mom who also teaches yoga and cycling so I work part-time. Schools are really the biggest issue. With DS issues a private school with equipped for behavior problems. I need a good gym and a place to swim. My needs are small. Oh yeah, a good running route should I ever get me a$$ out of the house.
              The business is in the West End of Nashville if that helps. I hear you have a problem with monkey's though. The realtor my husband talked to said Brentwood would be an hour and half commute to work. I am a stay at home mom who also teaches yoga and cycling so I work part-time. Schools are really the biggest issue. With DS issues a private school with equipped for behavior problems. I need a good gym and a place to swim. My needs are small. Oh yeah, a good running route should I ever get me a$$ out of the house.
              If the realtor said that Brentwood would be an hour and a half commute to West End, then the realtor is failing in geography. Brentwood is no more than fifteen minutes from downtown. My brother and sister in law live about 20 minutes south of Brentwood and my brother commutes to the north side of Nashville (Rivergate) every day in less than an hour. Trent summed it up, those are the two places you'd check out. I'd also like to throw out another place to check though, which would be the northwest portion of Nashville suburbs known as Joelton/Pleasant View. It's about 30 minutes from downtown and there are a lot of really nice houses going up in bulk there, but not on top of each other - they have yards which to me is important. Overall, the major suburbs around Nashville I'd recommend would be: Franklin/Brentwood Bellvue Joelton/Pleasant View Mt. Juliet Gallatin I know some people might disagree with some of these, but I figure just knowing cities to look up surrounding Nashville would be a benefit in and of itself.

Why is it sideways?

With DS issues a private school with equipped for behavior problems. I need a good gym and a place to swim. My needs are small. Oh yeah, a good running route should I ever get me a$$ out of the house.
                You should check out the University School of Nashville. Located in the Vanderbilt Area. They're a smaller, private school that avoids some of the weirdnesses of the southern prep school scene (no offense to anyone from a southern prep school: I owe my secondary educational experience to a very southern prep school), and is sensitive to the needs of gifted kids with alternative learning styles. If you'd like to live closer to town and cut down on the commute (though $$ per square foot is most likely higher), you might check out the Sylvan Park area. Also, if you choose private schools, East Nashville has some funky neighborhoods that are up and coming.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sylvan Park and Richland Park are in town and good neighborhoods, agreed. During traffic, the commute from Brentwood to West End (depending on where) can take up to an hour and a half, although, as Makers points out, this is uncommon. Where on the west side? Great running all over, really. Also, East Nashville is kinda funky and fun and affordable, but it is not terribly close to private schools.
                    Great running all over, really.
                    Except, as Jeff and I identified, that new Starbucks on West End....caffeine crazed soccer moms.
                      Century blvd. I have googled alot of the towns you all mentioned. Great information as I knew it would be.
                        Century blvd. I have googled alot of the towns you all mentioned. Great information as I knew it would be.
                        Looking at Century Blvd. on Yahoo maps it shows me that it is located east of downtown near the Opry area. The closest place there that I mentioned that would be growing would be Mt. Juliet. It's in the Donelson area (where fiance's sister lives, as well as where I went to church) and that's another nicer area, but I'd estimate the housing prices in that area to be a bit higher and a bit smaller than some of the places that were mentioned earlier.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Century Blvd is NOT on the west side of town or near West End. It is, as Makers said, over east near Opry and the airport. It is immediately off Highway 40 and Briley Parkway, which means it will be reasonably accessible from all parts around Nashville, including Brentwood in the south, Bellevue in the west, Mt. Juliet out east and Sylvan Park/Richland Park centrally.
                            Guess I can cross that realtor off my list. We have to call on Monday and give them a #. We are just trying to see how much housing and schooling i s going to cost. Thanks for all the help. I am probably going to spend the rest of the weekend doing research.