What time do you run? (Read 834 times)

Up at 4:30......on the road about 5:00. I didn't used to do that always, but after I moved to the Phoenix area, this is the ONLY time to get any reprieve from the heat from June through September. I have grown to actually love it. When I have had an occasion to try runs at other times of the day, I find I just don't feel quite "on".......if that makes any sense at all. During core winter months, I run with a head-lamp to be able to see where I am going or to warn drivers of a runner on the road. I have seen many posts like this one about being scared to be by oneself or running early in the dark. I find this an interesting curiosity. A friend of mine took a management class one time where they discussed gender roles in the workplace. One question they asked of the group was "when was the last time you were truly afraid?" When she posed that question to me, my answer was very typical......."I don't remember the last time I was truly afraid of a situation I was in." That is a very typical response of many MALE respondents. Almost all the FEMALE respondents could cite multiple instances in recent minutes, hours or days just prior. I think this says volumes about how we are raised regarding gender roles. Using your head, use of a light, carry a cell phone....or maybe a whistle......all may be a good idea. Don't let fear keep you from just doing it though. I love early morning runs with the quiet streets, birds chirping, cool/crisp air...........it is a wonderful energizing start to my day.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Menace to Sobriety

Almost always early AM, usually about 5:45 AM. I actually get drowsier after lunch on the days I don't run.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

6:45 in the morning. When i'm too lazy to get up I run at 7:30 in the evening

PR's
        800: 2:38|1600: 5:18|3200: 11:55|3 mile:19:07

mikeymike

I run early in the morning. I think it's probably the safest time to run--there are fewer cars out than at just about any other time and the only people on foot are other runners, dog walkers etc.

Runners run

Last night some nasty thunderstorms rolled through and delayed my run, I usually head out somewhere between 6:00 and 7:00. I watched the Red Sox bullpen meltdown, then headed out at about 10:35. I really don't care for running in the dark, but it had cooled down nicely so I got in seven miles on a night that looked like a zero. Modified to add: I probably should be more concerned with personal safety than I am, but the primary reasons for not liking running in the dark are stumbling or tripping because of potholes, tree roots, high curbs, etc.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Non ducor, duco.

I like to run early around 5:30 am. When it's early all the animals are out. Today I saw this guy.
              JimR

I have to pick 'a' time? Any time is train time. I've been going 6 or 7 AM, adding the occasional noon run, adding the occasional 6 or 7 pm run. Sometimes once, sometimes twice...
                mikeymike

It's a little blurry. What is that, anda, a pterodactyl? I saw one of those on my run today too. I didn't have my camera so I drew a picture of it when I got back. Here it is:

Runners run

Non ducor, duco.

It's a little blurry. What is that, anda, a pterodactyl? I saw one of those on my run today too. I didn't have my camera so I drew a picture of it when I got back. Here it is:
                    Mikey-Texan 101. That is an armadillo. He scared the poop out of me (not literally). Apparently it's armadillo season bc most of them are dead. It's sad but you know we need our boots. Dont you have a lobstah you can share?
                    mikeymike

Dont you have a lobstah you can share?
                      I knew that was an armadillo I was just being childish and silly. I am in Maine today so my chances of seeing a lobster were decent, but I ran the other way, away from the water. I saw some large land animals, like cows and horses and a couple of big german sheppards that wanted to eat me. I also saw a blue heron, a hawk and lots of smaller birds. And of course the pterodactyl. Tomorrow I'll bet I see some lobstahs.

Runners run

Into the wild

You sure that's not a worm with a flasher's mac!!

Shut up and run

AroundTheHorn

I run two a days now so it's 6:30 in the morning and 8 at night.
                          Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                            I always run about 9:30 PM on a dark bike trail after the kids are in bed. When there is no moon I can barely see the yellow line down the middle of the path. I recently started running with my dog which makes me more comfortable. I make sure she has lots of tags on her collar so we can be easily heard.