Ice baths are fn cold! (Read 1676 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Yeah, but since you bathe in the icy Chicago River after running, you don't really need an ice bath per se.
    Good point. Should have seen how green I was a couple of Saturdays ago.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Hawt and sexy

I do ice baths. It's good to find out I am hardcore, but then again. the swamp already knew. Wink I also do the protein/carb thing as a recovery drink/meal. I don't trust studies paid for by Accelerade. Man, I gotta go do some errands. You guys are keeping me here.

I'm touching your pants.

I feel like a real weenie. I tried to have one the other day. Ran the tub, got my ice cubes ready, had a cup of hot water to keep my company, hoodie on, Jack Daniels amazing book on running + training. I hopped in and lasted about 10 seconds until I was overcome with pain in my feet and ankles. I don't think I've said more curse words in the last year than I did in that minute. From now on I don't take ice baths. I am a weenie.

over 9000!!!

ice only covers up the pain imflamation = recovery... its the body's meathod to set the stage for healing... (chronic inflamation is diff of course) ice and NSAIDs reduce pain but also recudes recovery in conclusion HTFU = faster recovery
            But it is true that just a couple doses of ibuprofen or other NSAIDS at a time of dehydration or poor renal perfusion can blow out your kidneys.
            Trent speaks the truth. A good friend of mine spent 2 days in the ICU w/ kidney failure from taking Ibuprofen during a long run. Thankfully this person has recovered...
              ice only covers up the pain imflamation = recovery... its the body's meathod to set the stage for healing... (chronic inflamation is diff of course) ice and NSAIDs reduce pain but also recudes recovery in conclusion HTFU = faster recovery
              There are actually studies that show decreased tendon healing while taking Ibuprofen. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112396993/ABSTRACT http://www.unchealthcare.org/site/newsroom/news/2006/Mar/cox http://www.emaxhealth.com/82/5166.html http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/news/852571020057CCF68525713A004B3D3B
                You know...as opposed to easy marathons... Evil grin
                Ha! I thought the same thing. Sheesh. No

~Gordo~

I have found that IF I take an ice or cold bath after a long hard run, that a running a wash cloth under very warm water (not HOT), and wrap the boys in that as you get in lessens the shock to them. Yeah, they still get cold, but it is a gradual cooling. ~Gordo
                  !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do ice baths
                    Do you get shrinkage?
                    Trent speaks the truth.
                    I will not let it go to my head Wink I am glad your friend recovered!
                    There are actually studies that show decreased tendon healing while taking Ibuprofen.
                    And bone healing too...
                    Ha! I thought the same thing. Sheesh. No
                    All things being relative, that is...

Hawt and sexy

Do you get shrinkage?
                      Um, no, but my nipples get hard. What. Does. This. Mean?

I'm touching your pants.

Interesting thread, as it regards the use of ibuprofen. I'd always only heard the risks mentioned in context of heavy alcohol consumption. Is there a way to submerge your legs in the ice without actually sitting in it? All I can dream up is a kitchen sized trashcan comes just above my knees Tongue That covers all my pain-affected areas without frightening my inner turtle.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The ankle pain is FAR worse than pain anywhere up higher. And Willa, I don't even know where to begin. Wink
                            If you happen to have access to an ice cold mountain stream, you can usually (very carefully) keep the giblets out of the water. Cool

The Greatest of All Time

Um, no, but my nipples get hard. What. Does. This. Mean?
                              TMI...jeez. Save it for the swamp baby.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                                Is there a way to submerge your legs in the ice without actually sitting in it? All I can dream up is a kitchen sized trashcan comes just above my knees Tongue That covers all my pain-affected areas without frightening my inner turtle.
                                Off season swimming pools work great!
                                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado