Going to try spin class....questions (Read 1217 times)

How do I avoid looking like an idiot the first time? I was thinking I should go a little early and ask the instructor to help adjust the bike. Do I wear my regular shoes and longer shorts? I see people going into the spin room with the padded shorts and cycling shoes, but surely I can try a few classes first before deciding if I want to buy all that stuff, right?

12-week layoff

Dont worry about getting shoes until you see if spinning is something you want to invest more time and money in.  However, the shorts may be necessary in order for spinning to become something you want to do again.  Your girlie bits will get sore, and the padded shorts help.  Won't last forever though. 

Go a little early, yes, to have help with the bike.  The instructors get new people all of the time, and don't mind doing it.  Spin class can be tough, in a good way, but you can work at your own pace.  If you want to dial down the resistance to make it through, do it.  Don't worry about what other people think, because it's your workout. 

Have fun!  Spinning is awesome.

Thanks so much! Smile

12-week layoff

If you don't have bike shorts, you may want to try some tights, or yoga pants.  I find it diffictult to spin in running shorts, no matter what length.  They tend to ride up, or catch on the front of the seat when I'm doing jumps.  I tug at them the whole time.  The other good thing about bike shorts is that they are tight fitting, and eliminate this problem.  I have some bike shorts that have a tight under-short with padding, but a cargo-type short on top, so there are options if you don't like the tight-bike-short look.

If you don't have bike shorts, you may want to try some tights, or yoga pants.  I find it diffictult to spin in running shorts, no matter what length.  They tend to ride up, or catch on the front of the seat when I'm doing jumps.  I tug at them the whole time.  The other good thing about bike shorts is that they are tight fitting, and eliminate this problem.  I have some bike shorts that have a tight under-short with padding, but a cargo-type short on top, so there are options if you don't like the tight-bike-short look.

Sprinter shorts (which are basically the same a cycling shorts without the padding) work fine. I normally run in those anyway, because otherwise my thighs chaff :/

Good to know. I have some capri tights for running. Guess I'll start out with those. I appreciate the tips. Smile
              xor

At my gym (where I have actually taught spinning off and on for about 6 years), they outlawed cycling shoes a couple years back.  You have to wear regular sole shoes and use the cages on the pedals.  Cycling shoes and hardwood floors do not mix.

Maggie & Molly

I am assuming that bike shors would help but I can say that I've never owned a pair and my girlie parts have survived spinning class.  The key is to adjust Blush 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                  Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363