Elementary School Track Coaching Advice? (Read 608 times)

Marathonmanleto

It looks like I will be coaching grades 6-8 distance runners for this springs track season. Does anyone know of some good on-line resources for middle distance training plans? Really looking for a good framework to structure my program around.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here's a good site to start with: http://www.kidsrunning.com/krasktraining.html Keep clicking on buttons and you'll find more and more stuff. Good luck!! The thing I've noticed with our middle school program is that the coach tries to keep it really fun and positive. They run for a ltitle while, then play games like capture the flag. My younger son is slow as molasses (he ran with me once and said, "Oh! Now I know who I get it from!") and during XC season, the coach would run with him sometimes to encourage him. That meant a lot to him.
        The thing I've noticed with our middle school program is that the coach tries to keep it really fun and positive.
        + a million You will have some kids that will excel and you will also have some kids that just want to be part of a team,,, and track and XC are great ways for kids to be athletes especially the guys/gals who don't have the experience, size or inclination that some of the team sports have. A couple time a year our middle school XC coach gets some of the high schoolers to come and run with them. . The high school is about 4 miles away,, they run to the MS,, run with the younger kids,,, and run back. It is a great day for all involved. It also helps build the program. Have fun.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's a neat idea about the high schoolers. Our MS coach has the parents come run a 2-mile course with the kids once a year. I was the last parent to finish! I'm not sure if my son was proud or embarrassed. Some of the kids who are seemingly not so great in middle school take off in HS, too. My oldest son was described as a mediocre runner by his MS coach, and now as a HS junior, he's being recruited to run in college. You never know what you're getting started!