When training for a half, how many miles is your longest run? (Read 911 times)

C-R

I sighted what you did there SR

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

Whoa now, John A. If you're gonna run 17.9 and you're near the Wachusett Res you might as well go all the way around and call it "Stu's". And then your answer would be 30k. Plus 30k sounds like such a good answer. It's metric and everything.

Runners run

xor

I sighted what you did there SR
        ssshh. It's a secret. (though not an enigma)

C-R

ssshh. It's a secret. (though not an enigma)
          I Enola what you mean

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Whoa now, John A. If you're gonna run 17.9 and you're near the Wachusett Res you might as well go all the way around and call it "Stu's". And then your answer would be 30k. Plus 30k sounds like such a good answer. It's metric and everything.
            From my house to the STUs course is 1 mile.....run the 30K and then run one mile back home, and suddenly I have a 20.6 distance............. YEAH -- thats it --- I change my answer to 20.6

Champions are made when no one is watching

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I Enola what you mean
              Let's not turn this into a Gay thing, or some Fat Man - Little Boy donnybrook, now.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have a 26.2 mile course that I run once a year. Can I use that?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I have a 26.2 mile course that I run once a year. Can I use that?
                  Why not? Two halves make a whole.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Two halves make a whole.
                    Not if my garmin says otherwise...

xor

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
                        Like to see you prove that on a track during a mile race Smile

A Saucy Wench

Here's the scientific formula I used to come up with 18.3 by the way... 1.) I have a 10 mile loop that I run all the time (when there aren't 5-foot snowbanks, that is) that I call the Forest Glen loop. 2.) I have an 8.3 mile loop that I run all the time (when there aren't 5-foot snowbanks that is) that I call the Norden Sturgess loop. 3.) Sometimes I run them both, back-to-back. Forest Glen loop + Norden Sturgess loop = 18.3 miles. Sah-WEEET.
                          Heh...I almost changed my 16 ish to say 15.6 because I think that is what my current favorite "loop around town" works out to be, but I couldnt remember for sure. And by the time I train for a half again I may change my loop.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Certifiably Insane

I don't measure the total of most my runs. When I'm feeling good, my easy pace is 7:30-7:45. If I'm really dragging, it's closer to 8:15-8:30. Overall, it averages to right about 8:00 miles, so that's what I base the length of my runs on. If I want to go 8 miles, I run for 64 minutes. 12 miles, 1:36. If it ends up being 5 minutes short or long (usually long), it's no big deal. I put in enough miles that it all averages out. Smile A couple of years ago, when I was running my annual half in the low 1:20's, I was only going 14-16 on my long runs. I did a lot of long repeats (miles) in preparation, though. Putting in the miles will get you to the finish line. Like someone mentioned before, though, you have to train differently if you want to race it. There are some really good half training plans on places like runnersworld.com or runningplanet.com, with different levels for different goal levels.
                            On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30