Yasso's (Read 1063 times)

> Run to the fridge and back for 5k training. But give it 101% effort. That's excellent, and it scales beautifully for 10K, because I can do doubles for 10K training, and I can conveniently practice hydration by drinking at the refrigerator end (because 10K is a long thirsty course).
    What if the fridge is in the garage?
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
      I still think the concept is stunningly elegant! Consistent 400s in 2 minutes should predict a 2 hour half marathon. Of course building up an endurance base by getting long runs in once a week to 10 miles or longer would be icing on the cake........ 1:45 minute 400s = 1 hour and 45 min half marathon. Its so beautiful I could cry.
      ...yeah, but you see from the posts why davinci, renoir, and other greats just weren't appreciated in their time... jeremy the danger is that with something as short as a 400m you're using your anaerobic system much more than you do in the half; more than the 800/mar difference. but before my next half i'll do a set of navyjeremy 400's to see what they predict. (psst - you need to come up with a catchier phrase... remember your audience... keep it real simple... Roll eyes )
      Scout7

I think the basic premise is flawed. Yasso 800s are a predictive tool, NOT specific training for a marathon. Bart Yasso has even stated this in the past, but the idea that they are for training persists. Yasso's basic premise is that if you can do the workout at a consist pace, then you have the fitness and ability to run hypothetically run a marathon with that as a goal time. It's a way to see if your goal pace matches your fitness. That's all.
          Thanks for the pluh solar. I was trying to think of something, I think that I am going to name them the Zoe 400's after my daughter
          2009 Goals...:
          -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yasso's basic premise is that if you can do the workout at a consist pace, then you have the fitness and ability to run hypothetically run a marathon with that as a goal time. It's a way to see if your goal pace matches your fitness. That's all.
            But even that's flawed. I once did 6x800 in 2:20~2:25. But plug any of my PRs into any racing calculator, and you'll quickly see that I could never ever ever run a 2:20~2:25 marathon. Plug a 2:20~2:25 marathon into McMillans, and all of the times for the shorter distances crush my PR's. So I personally am calling BS on the whole thing. Other than the fact that repeat 800's are a killer workout. Cool

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

undue monkey

Jeff, McMillan is extremely imprecise when equivalizing middle distances to the marathon. I wouldn't use it to compare a marathon to anything shorter than a 10K, and even then it need to be taken with a grain of salt. Edited to correct my poor reading comprehension.
              Scout7

But even that's flawed. I once did 6x800 in 2:20~2:25. But plug any of my PRs into any racing calculator, and you'll quickly see that I could never ever ever run a 2:20~2:25 marathon. Plug a 2:20~2:25 marathon into McMillans, and all of the times for the shorter distances crush my PR's. So I personally am calling BS on the whole thing. Other than the fact that repeat 800's are a killer workout. Cool
                That's not how it works. You take your goal pace for the marathon, and run the 800s at that pace to see if you can complete the workout. If you can, then your goal pace is realistic. Otherwise, it's not. It looks like you're trying to go the other way.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, using McMillan to equivalize a single, all-out 800 with a marathon is, in addition to being extremely imprecise, NOT the same thing as equivalizing 10x800 workout to a marathon. I wouldn't use McMillan to compare a marathon to anything shorter than a 10K, and even then it need to be taken with a grain of salt.
                  That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I once ran Yasso 800's in 2:20~2:25 (not an all out 800). But there's no way I could have run a marathon in 2:20~2:25, no matter how hard I trained.. If you plug any of my PRs (from 1 mile thru 25k) into McMillan or any calculator, they predict a marathon time of 2:40~2:50. Conversely, plug a 2:20 marathon into a calculator and you get predictions for other races that are way way faster than I've ever come close to running. For me, Yasso 800s predicted a marathon time that is way way faster than my physical/genetic capability. That's why I think Yasso's have poor predictive properties. Agree with the statement that prediction calcs are dubious for the marathon when using short races as the seed.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's not how it works. You take your goal pace for the marathon, and run the 800s at that pace to see if you can complete the workout. If you can, then your goal pace is realistic. Otherwise, it's not. It looks like you're trying to go the other way.
                    True. But when i was super fit, I could have set a goal marathon target of 2:20~2:25, and successfully done Yasso's in 2:20~2:25. But that wouldn't have made my goal marathon time realistic. At my very very best, if I had trained ideally for the marathon, I may have been able to run 2:40, which is a long long way from 2:20. That's my point, and the problem I have with Yassos -- for me at least, I could complete Yasso workouts much faster than I could have ever dreamed of running the equivalent marathon.

Scout7

True. But when i was super fit, I could have set a goal marathon target of 2:20~2:25, and successfully done Yasso's in 2:20~2:25. But that didn't make make my goal marathon realistic. That's my point, and the problem I have with Yassos.
                      But, you also wouldn't be doing them in 2:20 pace. You'd be doing them based on your actual goal pace for the marathon. And that would also be done close to your goal marathon to see if your training is matching your goals.

Feeling the growl again

Shorter repeats and races are only of ANY value in predicting marathon times IF, and only IF, you are running relatively high mileage and essentially training for the marathon. For example, if you are training with specificity for a 5K, you are going to over-develop systems improving your speed that are of little significance in the marathon that will skew you towards shorter performances (this is the whole point of that training!!). For example, I know a couple guys who have been well under 15 for 5K yet unable to break 2:30 in the marathon. Or a former teammate with 1:52 historical 800m speed who could run a 1:58 800m but not a 2:40 marathon in the same season. He'd have had no trouble running Yasso's in 2:15! Conversely, if running pretty high mileage, regardless of specificity of your speedwork you'll have addressed the basic systems necessary to run a decent marathon and your times will correlate better. I'm talking at least 60 mpw, preferably in the 70-80 mpw range. Trying to correlate ANYTHING to predict marathon performance before the fact when training under 40 mpw is an exercise in futility. The only possible factor I can think that may have any relevance is HR....IF you already know from experience what your sustainable marathon HR is. What is the suggested recovery on Yassos anyways?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JakeKnight

As for the value of the Yasso session as a predictor, I think of it as a "negative predictor". Just because you can run the 10 x 800 in the target time, doesn't necessarily insure success in your marathon. If you CAN'T do it however, your goal is most likely not achievable.
                          Exactly. And when utilized as Ray and Scout describe above, I think they're pretty useful. I'm close to a 3:30 marathon. At some point I'll go do 10 x 800 @ 3:30 - and if I can't do it, I'll bet I'm not ready. I know I can do it @ 3:40 and run a 3:40 marathon. I know for a fact I couldn't do it at 3:20 and I definitely can't run a 3:20 marathon. Yet. The only time I've tried them, the fastest I could do it predicted almost exactly the fastest I could run a marathon. I think its a pretty accurate estimator of what is NOT realistic, of where your maximum realistic potential is. And I don't get the argument here. Nobody thinks that if I get all froggy one day and go run the 800s in 3:00 that I can run a 3 hour marathon. Doesn't work that way. By the way - is it 6 x 800 or 10 x 800? I always heard 10.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But, you also wouldn't be doing them in 2:20 pace. You'd be doing them based on your actual goal pace for the marathon. And that would also be done close to your goal marathon to see if your training is matching your goals.
                            Wait a minute. I thought the deal with Yasso is that if you want to run a marathon in xTight lippedx h:mm, you run repeat 800s in xTight lippedx m:ss (in other words, a 3h:40m marathoner runs Yasso 800s in 3m:40s), not 800s at your marathon goal pace. Am I wrong about this? (probably Blush )

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nobody thinks that if I get all froggy one day and go run the 800s in 3:00 that I can run a 3 hour marathon.
                              110% agree, but it's kind have gotten sold that way to the public -- not by Yasso himself, it's just sort of mutated into that. Bottom line no matter how fast you run your Yassos, keep your cadence at 180+/-1 and give 101%.

JakeKnight

True. But when i was super fit, I could have set a goal marathon target of 2:20~2:25, and successfully done Yasso's in 2:20~2:25. But that wouldn't have made my goal marathon time realistic.
                                Right. But if you could NOT do them in 2:20, you sure as hell couldn't run a 2:20 marathon. It only works that direction. I should really make a U of M joke here. Maybe after another cup of coffee a good one will come to me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------