Pitching a Tent (Read 1011 times)

If you're not carrying it on your back, you can shop worry-free about the size! If you want a 6-person, and it'll just be in the car, get a 6-person. This is ours: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000140&categoryid=11020 We've named him Toby. I'm not sure why, it was named by our 5-year old. We love this tent!! We are a family of only 3, with a large chocolate lab. It's way bigger than we need, but we love the extra room, and we've been super thankful more than once when it started raining. I especially love the 2 doors, and our son loves the little air vent/crawl spaces along the bottom. One minute he's in the tent, the next he's gone. He thinks its hilarious. Tongue It's also plenty big that this summer we are bringing another family of 3, and there's plenty of room for the 2 couples in the "bedrooms", and the kids can have the main area. MTA: my husband can set this sucker up by himself, too. It's pretty straightforward.

Michelle

Lisa3.1

the Marmot tent is nice, but per what you want, a tent for more persons, and you are not going to backpack with it, go with a tent that is for at least four persons, and is three- or four- season. Dh & I freq. go camping, particularly in June, July, August, and September, and have been using an Eddie Bauer tent. Northface is also nice. Coleman is alright. and Target's Greatland is terrible. REI is the store to go to for tents. Good Luck
      Sulli42

We are a family of 4. Me, wife, daughter and dog. Last year I bought one of these and we have been extremely pleased with the quality and ergonomics. A 6 "man" tent is the way to go if you want to keep all your gear out of the elements and still have plenty of room for people and dogs.
          Wow. I guess I should retract my height statement on domes. Ones folks have been posting are over 72".

Vim

dork.major dork.

Okay. Get a 6-person. I rescind my previous comments. I am a crazy backpacker, who will sleep curled around a hiking buddy who hasn't showered in 7-10 days. No further comments.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

I've always been happy with Coleman tents. We bought our latest one 2 years ago and our previous one lasted at least 10 years. I also kind of have a thing for cabin style tents and I like the bowl bottom (where the tarp comes up about 6 inches on the side). We have vacations where it's rained 12 out of 14 days and there's a lot to be said for having plenty of head room when you stand and not worrying about the new river that the storm created rushing through your tent. Oh yeah, and the bowl bottom keeps my pillow dry if it touches the side. Smile I would absolutely go with the 6 man. They base the size on the idea that everyone is laying in the tent lined up like a little sardine. While it's fun for spoonin', it sure is a drag on the 5th day of rain. Happy camping!
              Lisa3.1

I bought a Swiss Army 4 person off ebay and I absolutely love it. Definitely big enough for both of us, gear and dog. granted...we go 'car camping' generally speaking, so we can leave stuff in the car too. MTA: I haven't had to seam-seal it either, we've camped in pouring rain with no problems.
                I didn't know Swiss Army makes tents.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I didn't know Swiss Army makes tents.
                  Yeah, they're pretty cool the way they fold up and fit in your pocket. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lisa3.1

Yeah, they're pretty cool the way they fold up and fit in your pocket. Clowning around
                    Wouldn't that be nice

The Greatest of All Time

I rescind my previous comments. I am a crazy backpacker, who will sleep curled around a hiking buddy who hasn't showered in 7-10 days.
                      Oh-rah. That's how I roll too! Tent. WTF? I carry everything in, sleep on the ground, and if it rains I suck it up. But them my idea of 'camping' is going back country hiking in Colorado where you see no people for 4 or 5 days. There is nothing like waking up on a cool Colorado Rocky morning surrounded by a herd of Elk just chilling out.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Non ducor, duco.

6 person tents are HUGE. We have four kiddos and the tent is still huge. It has a huge footprint and many times finding a good clearing is tough. Plus, I always feel like the animals are laughing at us when we put the big thing up.
                          We have a great tent, 6 person with a little attachment that can fit two more people. It goes up in about 10 minutes which is nothing in comparison to the really really old tent we used to have that took two people at least 30 minutes.

Michelle

Campmor.com is having a Eureka (my first tent! - nearly 20 years ago and I still have it) sale.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Which of the three is the lightest? If you are going to hike in that will make a difference. Also Check REI outlet.com

left-right-left-right-repeat