Up the Lazy River 10K report (Read 416 times)

A Saucy Wench

Running hasnt been going well for me the last 3 weeks and I have been avoiding my normal amount of hills and my mileage is down. Plus my weight is up. Tongue All in all, I didnt have huge expectations heading in to this one, but given that my 10K PR is on a hilly course and this one was billed as "mostly flat except for one hill" I thought I could possibly get a new PR. Weather was good - upper 50's and drizzly. Uh.... no. Mostly flat my ass. As I review the course in my head it SEEMS like it still should have been easier than my PR route, but it really didnt feel that way. I dont know if it was harder or if I was just feeling it. Given that my running P who has nearly identical times came in a miniscule 5 seconds behind me I am going to say it is a genuinely hard course. Either way, it didnt really boost my confidence going into my Hilly HM in 3 weeks. Started off with a gentle up hill, I felt it more than I should but was doing ok, some undulating sections that made it hard to get a rhythm and then we were out on the roads that were what I would call steeply rolling followed by gently rolling. For the first time in eons my running partner was actually running the same race. She went out fast and I was having a hard time not kicking up to stay with her, just cruised a little bit behind. Mile 1 7:35 Mile 2 7:42 Mile 3 7:36 - have started to close in on my training P, but I am realizing the effects of avoiding hills the last 3 weeks Mile 4 8:49 - this was the big hill. Passed my P right before the hill. At points I was struggling to stay above a 10:30 pace. It was one of those where it just kept coming and coming. Tongue Crested the hill right before the mile marker. Opened up to a fairly flat stretch. It took a good 1/2 mile before I was able to hold pace, left too much on the hill. Mile 5 7:43 - at this point I know my goal of 48 is not happening, still think I might have an outside chance of a PR if the rest of the course is relatively flat to downhill. At mile 5.4 I hit another hill. This is when I really realize I left too much on the first hill Mile 6 8:19 Dead Mile 6.2 1:35 (7:55 ish pace) Overall time 49:21 Still managed to pull 1st in AG, but this was a masters championship, so I dont think there were a lot of people in my AG. Winning woman was 36:?? Shocked Dont know my overall placings yet. Oh well...cant have a PR EVERY race. It has actually been since last July that I didnt PR in a race.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Oh...and my funny race moment. A ~ 10 year old boy out on the course who of course ran out like blazes at the start. I started to pass him right around the mile 2 marker and he actually moved over to throw a block on me. I passed him. He turns on the jet fuel and passes me then fades. I start to pass and he tries to block again. Repeat 3-4 times until he has sprinted himself out and I leave him for good. It is a wide enough course and was not crowded at this point that I found it more amusing than anything else, good to see a kid with competitive fire, but felt tempted after to pull aside his parent (if I could have located one) and ask them to give him a little discussion on race etiquette. In a crowded race he could seriously hurt people cutting them off and throwing blocks. Or get himself run over. Given his jet fuel beginning he finished in an impressive fifty something time.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

You were 1st in AG but did not have a good race. I WISH! Smile If times are dropping you my be over training. Remember to TAMPER.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job on a challenging course, Ennay! You're so fast, geez! Congrats on winning your AG.
            Hey Ennay, You ran a good time. As someone told me very recently you can't set a PR every race. I don't think you should second guess your training and just keep doing what you've been doing. A few extra lbs could have made a small difference, but I have a strong suspicion that it was the course and a bit too much amibition the first 3 miles that cost you the most. You have many more PR's ahead, I am quite sure. Congrats on another AG win and on doing so well in the series.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

A Saucy Wench

Thanks all! Oh, I am not really unhappy with it. Actually considering how awful my training runs have been feeling I am very pleased. Wasnt expecting the hills to be that bad, so was taken a bit by surprise I think - had I known they were there, and that the big one was that long, I would probably have held back more. But probably not, because I usually dont Wink My big mistake was driving the hill that hard. I thought it was shorter than it ended up being and pushed the pace too much there. That probably cost me the last mile. I am actually more concerned about how my training runs have been feeling but I think that is due to the illness and it taking longer to recover than I expect it to. I should be 100% NOW! Big grin In my own psychotic way I think it is good to go out too fast every once in a while, especially on a non goal race. One, you might surprise yourself, I did on my last 2 races. Two, its good to remember why you dont want to do that when it counts. (note: it is really really cruel to have a fast food joint near the end of a hard race, I caught a whiff of the fry grease Dead Dead Dead)