How much running is "healthy"? (Read 448 times)

Joann Y

Most of us don't run nearly enough for it to be too much.

Wait now, what are you talking about here?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Most of us don't run nearly enough for it to be too much.

Yesterday was the anniversary of running enough, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Best Present Ever

Yesterday was the anniversary of running enough, right?

GO DB!!

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I recently read about a Danish study showing that running more than 3 times a week has negative impact on the body (especially heart), actually worse than not exercising at all. Has anyone an idea about what is resonable amount of training per week and what is the recommended max heart rate during workout?

My advice:

1) Stop worrying and stop reading studies on running - instead, go running.

2) Stop worrying about max heart rate during your workout. If your heart stops, you've gone too hard. Until then, don't worry about it.

3) Ditch your heart rate monitor.

4) Slow down to go faster - long slow distance for many months, till long miles feel very comfortable, then add one or at most two faster workouts per week (one of them can be hills instead). Side benefit, your heart likely won't stop and you won't get near your max heart rate.

5) The amount of free time you have for running will likely set your upper limit of training. So stop worrying about it. Your training is too much if you are constantly getting injured. Some people break down after 40 miles a week and some don't break down with even 250 miles per week for over a year (The one-in-a-million person). Most people don't get near their potential because the need to earn a living, sleep, eat, have sex, etc., results in a limit on the amount of training they can do.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

JanaLamb

I think it's just a balance of everything. Running could be unhealthy for those who are trying to lose weight in cases when they eat almost nothing then run too much. Eat healthy, run healthy.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

mikeymike

I think it's just a balance of everything. Running could be unhealthy for those who are trying to lose weight in cases when they eat almost nothing then run too much. Eat healthy, run healthy.

Like ... literally ... wtf? Can you break it down for us? What is the point of all of your activity here on this message board? Why dig up a few very old and unrelated posts each day and add a couple of trite and meaningless lines of nothingness?

It doesn't even qualify as spam since the link in your signature is not active. It's one of the great RA mysteries of our time. I know I'm not the only one perplexed by this.

Runners run

Only themanfromnantucket is as mysterious as JanaLamb.  Maybe The Man can use his irresistible lady charms to break open the secret motivations of Jana.

Kalsarikännit

Only themanfromnantucket is as mysterious as JanaLamb.  Maybe The Man can use his irresistible lady charms to break open the secret motivations of Jana.

Now I'm jealous.

MTA:  KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF HIM, JANA!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

Now I'm jealous.

+1!!  

Runners run

Joann Y

Now I'm jealous.

You got dibs!

While sitting on the banks of the P’u River, Chuang-tse was approached by two representatives of the Prince of Ch’u, who offered him a position at court.

Chuang-tse watched the water flowing by as if he had not heard.  Finally, he remarked, ‘I am told that the Prince has a sacred tortoise, over two thousand years old, which is kept in a box, wrapped in silk and brocade.’

‘That is true,’ the officials replied.

‘If the tortoise had been given a choice,’ Chuang-tse continued, “which do you think he would have liked better--to have been alive in the mud or dead within the palace?’

‘To have been alive in the mud, of course,’ the men answered.

‘I too prefer the mud, said Chuang-tse. ‘Goodbye.’

PREACH

Prairie running is peace.

JanaLamb

Okay, chill. I didn't even realize I was doing it. I just started digging up posts one day and I keep finding interesting and funny ones. Now, I can't stop. There's so many of them.

Like ... literally ... wtf? Can you break it down for us? What is the point of all of your activity here on this message board? Why dig up a few very old and unrelated posts each day and add a couple of trite and meaningless lines of nothingness?

It doesn't even qualify as spam since the link in your signature is not active. It's one of the great RA mysteries of our time. I know I'm not the only one perplexed by this.

Also, who is themanfromnantucket?

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Joann Y

Okay, chill. I didn't even realize I was doing it. I just started digging up posts one day and I keep finding interesting and funny ones. Now, I can't stop. There's so many of them.

Just a blind haze of healthy posting of uninspired comments. Happens.

kilkee

runktrun

The same sort of blind haze that I get from too much coffee?  My eyeballs feel gauzy.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The same sort of blind haze that I get from too much coffee?  My eyeballs feel gauzy.

Or from staring at Facebook too long.