Running and Knees... (Read 1102 times)

So the other day I was talking to an elderly gentleman about running. He went on to tell me that was bad for your knees. His brother had to quit running becuase of knee problems. The guy supposedly ran 5 miles every day till he couldn't. "How old was he when he had to quit?" I pressed. "72" was the answer. Told him that his brother actually did pretty good lasting that long. His knees probably would have given out soon even with out the running. After a bit he agreed Smile So all your runners out there... you better not run because your knees will be shot by 72.
    Tracie

I'm wondering this too. Maybe it's similar for example to the hand. Moderate typing strengthens. Overtyping strains. Take time off to recover and more easy days.
        whole point of the story... he said running was bad because of his brothers story, I was was just damned impressed the guy made it into his 70s still running!
        Tracie

ran 5 miles every day
          It's the every day part. I've heard conflicting opinions about this.
          Chris UK

So all your runners out there... you better not run because your knees will be shot by 72.
            This is worrying to some of us more than others. but...... it didn't seem to bother the 101 year-old gent that completed the London Marathon this year.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it didn't seem to bother the 101 year-old gent that completed the London Marathon this year.
              Turns out he waas just 96. But he also smokes.
                It's the every day part. I've heard conflicting opinions about this.
                Very true about that... it is best to vary your training and give yourself rest days.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Two times from the Beach to Beacon 10K (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) yesterday: 1 370 William Riley 72 M 41:40.6 6:43 2 589 Harry Carter 71 M 43:53.9 7:04 These two guys didn't do too badly! I guess their knees are holding up OK.
                  Chris UK

Turns out he was just 96.
                    I suppose you could forgive him forgetting his age.... ....at that age. Smile

3000 miles

Is that the chap that insists on a stogy and some suds at the half way point in the race?
                      Chris UK

Is that the chap that insists on a stogy and some suds at the half way point in the race?
                        Excuse the hijack but it appears our elderly gentleman is a bit of a "boy" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Martin http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3740118.ece Modify - appears the Wiki link does not work properly - just click on it and put Buster Martin in the Search Field on that page. Modified again - to add that whatever his true age he is still a remarkable man.

3000 miles

you don't say. Clowning around
                          Excuse the hijack but it appears our elderly gentleman is a bit of a "boy" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Martin http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3740118.ece Modify - appears the Wiki link does not work properly - just click on it and put Buster Martin in the Search Field on that page. Modified again - to add that whatever his true age he is still a remarkable man.
                          I agree. You are kind.
                          And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

adora, are you not taking your meds?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I got sick on the meds from Chuck and am recovering now. Smile
                              And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus