Detroit Area Running/Living (Read 488 times)

Dave

Any RA'rs from the Detroit area want to share some recommendations on living and working in the Warren/Troy area. Looks like I'll be relocating there next summer.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I can really only speak about the city of Detroit. I think it's a wonderful city: great architecture, low housing prices (average home is about $60,000) and two beautiful stadiums downtown. I love it.
        The two areas are very different from one another. Warren is quite industrial and Troy is high rent. I have a friend who just moved to Royal Oak which is close to both Troy and warren and he loves it. Detroit has a pretty good highway system so you have lots of options where to live. I live in a northwest suburb of Detroit and commute to Ann Arbor which is 38 miles but it only takes about 40 minutes to get there. Tom

Dave

Thanks, Tom, adeel. I'll be working in Warren and am considering Troy to live in because of the good schools. As I recall, Royal Oak is sort of an artsy area? I've taken a few business trips but haven't spent any real time there. As long as I'm within about 40 minutes of Warren, I'm pretty open to areas. Troy seemed to have good middle and high schools.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh, you have kids and everything. I really like Detroit proper, but consider it adventure tourism, especially coming from Canada. Yeah, you'd probably want your kids to go to better schools.

Another Passion

There are lots of communities with good schools around Warren. Sterling Heights, Clinton Twp., Shelby Twp., St. Clare Shores, Mt. Clemens, Fraser, Harrison Twp., Madison Heights, and Royal Oak, seem like all quality communities. I get around all of these areas every week as part of my job. I don't really think you'll go wrong with any of these and, as Tom said, there is a good highway system (other than perpetual construction issues) in and around Detroit to move you from one place to another pretty easily. The very good thing you have going for you is the buyer's housing market. You should be able to find a very nice, newer home for a very reasonable price. Good luck! We'll have to hook up for lunch or something after you get to the area (if you're game that is).

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Dave

Yep, my kids will be 6th grade and going into Kindergarten so by the time we leave (4 year assignment), we will have spanned the whole school gamut (elementary, middle, and high school).

dgb2n@yahoo.com

First thing, there is DETROIT, and then there's Michigan. 2 different beasts. I grew up in Northville ( 25 miles west of D ) and would kill to move back home. It will never happen. But, I get to viist. I would check out Royal Oak/Birmingham. My bro lives in Royal Oak, and it's pretty awesome. Not too familiar with Troy. Seems like a lot of commerical things going on there. For my money, I'd pick Northville. It is the best... (IT's a west side v east side , thing... The West is the Best ...) Oh, modified to add: Hines Drive is 26 miles of awesome bike path/jogging that starts in Northville, and ends in Dearborn. Beautiful/safe running.

- Anya

Dave

rvelich, great list of communites. Thanks. I'll share with my wife this evening. We'll be looking for a church as well. Lunch sounds great. 15 months away but great Wink Anya, Thanks so much. I'll add Northville to my list. It's a bit of a drive (30 miles) but I've got a colleague in Lavonia so who knows... Schools look great (checking at greatschools.net). Royal Oak was already in my list as well. Haven't checked the schools there yet.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Another Passion

rvelich, great list of communites. Thanks. I'll share with my wife this evening. We'll be looking for a church as well. Lunch sounds great. 15 months away but great Wink I'm not going anywhere. I hope. Confused

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Don't know what denomination you are looking for, but Faith Lutheran in Troy is a great church with good, solid teaching. We were married there 26 years ago and have moved out of the area, but I still miss it. I agree - check out Royal Oak - it has undergone a transformation. We lived in Troy and have lots of friends in Sterling Heights. And I have fond memories of Northville - my mom worked there and we used to go and get water out of the well that was just a bit east of the downtown area. I'm not sure what was so special about that water - seems kind of silly now, but it was a regular thing we did. I remember Hines Drive - a great area. Make sure you check driving times during rush hour before settling on a community. Detroit never developed a good mass transit system - everyone drives and traffic can get bad at times.