Last Read Post button (Read 490 times)

Skooter 3.0

So, it seems like someone might have already thought of this, so i apologize if it's redundant, but what about a last read post button? I like the "most recent post in topic" option we currently have, but if I step out for a while I find myself back tracking within threads to see what I missed.

A lot of boards have a little button next to threads that take you to the last post that you read personally. If you haven't yet read a thread they take you to the first post in the thread. Would this be too difficult to implement? I think it would enhance a lot of people's experience exponentially. Especially losers like me who pop in and out all day long instead of having a real life Wink 

Goals?

Lazy idiot

If you spend more time on RA, you won't miss anything.  The solution is on your end, brother.

Tick tock

eric :)

While it's not hard to do, I don't have plans to add this because the server will have to keep track of every thread that you read in order to know where you left of.  Maybe I'll add it someday when RA is big enough to require multiple servers.
          Couldn't this be handled by cookies?

eric :)

Storing the data in cookies is worse than in the database because cookies are sent with every page you load, even if they have nothing to do with the page.  Every thread that you read needs to be tracked.  The data will keep on growing and need to be retained forever because the server doesn't know when you'll get back to a thread, even if it's a year old.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You could just store the last 10 (or N for some constant N) threads in cookies, and forget about the rest.

(Not that I particularly advocate this -- just tossing out an idea along the lines of the discussion.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.