First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Maybe because you're a Cardinal fan? That's my guess.

There seems to be a MAJOR consensus on that. Big grin

(He did state he was wearing no Cards gear the day he ran though.  Just Jean Shorts:

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

(He did state he was wearing no Cards gear the day he ran though.  Just Jean Shorts:

You're missing the point.  The jean shorts are Cardinals gear.  Maybe you've never met a Cardinals fan before.  This should help:

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

I ran back to the scene where the botched up citation was written.  And I noticed a pedestrian walking on the same path that I was ticketed for.  I told him how I received a ticket for walking on that path.  And he told me how he couldn't believe it.  He said it's a major walkway, and to come back around 4:30 PM, just to see all the commuters that use that path. It's not hard to believe at all.  Here's some pictures I took of the scene, including this link to a you tube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkh-5lUEqk&feature=youtu.be

L Train

I ran back to the scene where the botched up citation was written.  And I noticed a pedestrian walking on the same path that I was ticketed for.  I told him how I received a ticket for walking on that path.  And he told me how he couldn't believe it.  He said it's a major walkway, and to come back around 4:30 PM, just to see all the commuters that use that path. It's not hard to believe at all.  Here's some pictures I took of the scene, including this link to a you tube video:

I just want to know how people on those trains can read that billboard on the right as they go whizzing by at 40 mph. Big grin

---  My honest opinion on yor case:  Skip the lawer.  Way too expensive.  Take a picture at a time of day when there are many folks on that area next to the track, then bring a copy of the photo printed out with you when you go to court.  (Or just bring a carload of friends and have them populate the area over there as you take the photo!  You know, whatever works...)  ---  But seriously, explain to the judge you were merely running for exercise and that you saw no signs indicating you were in the wrong + tell the judge you'll never run next to the tracks again.

---  If the photo is not enough to get the Judge to dismiss the ticket, then a 1,000 lawyer would likely not have helped either.  You can represent yourself.  Just remember to dress nicely. IE.  No cutoffs or sports apparel.  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Revenge of the Nerd

Here's some pictures I took of the scene, including this link to a you tube video...

Your case would be more convincing if the pics and video actually showed people using the "major walkway".

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Red Bird, don't listen to these people.  They don't have your best interests in mind.  You need to tell the judge you mean business and the best way to do that is to come to the court angry and ready for justice.  I'd watch A Few Good Men the night before and gather video testimonials of people trespassing.  Judges love that.  Remember that you have the truth on your side.

L Train, your face is an unproductive out.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

L Train

How we handle trespassers in Maine.

Literally, get off my lawn.

Your case would be more convincing if the pics and video actually showed people using the "major walkway".

I am thinking about hitting that spot around 4:30 PM.  I was told pedestrians flood that walkway then. Being that it was cold and rainy this morning, I can understand why there wasn't much foot traffic.

Red Bird, don't listen to these people.  They don't have your best interests in mind.  You need to tell the judge you mean business and the best way to do that is to come to the court angry and ready for justice.  I'd watch A Few Good Men the night before and gather video testimonials of people trespassing.  Judges love that.  Remember that you have the truth on your side.

L Train, your face is an unproductive out.

I'm not sure yet, but it looks like I might have found a lawyer to handle my case.   I'm still going to be honest, no matter what, and let them know that I had no idea I was trespassing or violating any laws.

#artbydmcbride

I think you should fight it all the way and refuse to pay any fines!  It is the principle of the thing.  You could be the next Nelson Mandela!  We'll all get shirts saying Free Redbird, and post about you on our facebooks.  Cool

Runners run

I think you should fight it all the way and refuse to pay any fines!  It is the principle of the thing.  You could be the next Nelson Mandela!  We'll all get shirts saying Free Redbird, and post about you on our facebooks.  Cool

Thanks, after what I've been through it's nice to hear those words.  I don't know if I quite feel like Nelson Mandela, there could have been some discrimination in my case, even though it's tough to prove.  For the time being this old Cheech and Chong song comes to mind. Dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uOIjc_ge68

Thanks, after what I've been through it's nice to hear those words.  

What you've been through is unimaginable. I really mean that.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            degregorius

So this is South of the Edgebrook METRA station, right?  Yes, lot's of people during the evening rush hour have walked on the path on the other side of the fence to catch the #84 bus.  Never a ticket issued to anyone. Cops (Chicago & METRA) have done nothing.  Talk about selective enforcement!

JimR

It would be cool if someone could build a shed while we wait for the court case to unfold.