Car broken into while running. (Read 707 times)

Runner

Made my way back from 8 miles with two more to go back the other direction from parked car. Started to go back by the car at the place we park it every time we run in Chattanooga and the glass was broken. I am usually pretty cautious about what I do. I was with my girlfriend and it was her car. We always put our valuables in the trunk. I hide mine within the car. I accidentally forgot my Ipod in the center console though. She had put her purse in the trunk but her car has a trunk release that is not lockable(design flaw as there is no lockable glovebox either). So I didn't have my wallet or cell stolen but she had her purse, cell, my Ipod, and her ipod dock stolen. This got me to thinking that with these economic times I need to warn all of you to take extra precautions. As our sport has grown I'd say some crooks look at us as good targets since we park our cars and run(marathon trainers even doing so at not so wise hours). It is hard to believe but this path had people all over it today so this was a brave crook. We don't carry much so monetarily we didn't lose "that" much but the hastle it has caused is much worse. If any other people have been broken into or anyone has any good tips of things to do to keep from getting robbed then please post them!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Prince of Fatness

Sorry to hear that. When I drive anywhere to run I bring as little as possible with me. Driver's license and cell phone is about it. No wallet. I take the license out of my wallet and bring only it. Credit cards, etc., stay home. I hide them in the car while running, and make sure nothing valuable is visible.

Not at it at all. 

MrH

Everything is locked in the trunk with nothing on view in the car, not even CDs, to attract anyone's interest.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Thanks for the warning. I am normally pretty careless when I go for a run. After hearing this warning I'll start leaving most of my stuff at home.
            I leave the doors unlocked with nothing of value inside. Old cars are not targetsSmile
              I have no advice. Just want you to know how sorry I am. Man, that sucks.

jules2

Hard luck, I am always very careful now about where I park my car. Not quite the same but parked my motorbike, went for a run and when I came back I'd lost the key for the padlock securing my helmet. I had the keys to the bike ignition and the panniers and I still to this day don't know how I lost just the padlock key. So had to phone my father up to do a 40 mile round trip to bring a spare helmet then had to go to a garage and borrow an angle grinder to cut the chain holding the helmet to the bike.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Hard luck, I am always very careful now about where I park my car. Not quite the same but parked my motorbike, went for a run and when I came back I'd lost the key for the padlock securing my helmet. I had the keys to the bike ignition and the panniers and I still to this day don't know how I lost just the padlock key. So had to phone my father up to do a 40 mile round trip to bring a spare helmet then had to go to a garage and borrow an angle grinder to cut the chain holding the helmet to the bike.
                  I went to a race once with a friend in her car. She did the race with the key in a pocket clipped onto her shoe. Got the the finish line and..... no key. Oops. In thin running gear, cold (about 6 ° C) and no way of getting at our gear (locked in the car). After half an hour of getting steadily colder and contemplating walking back around a muddy 10km course full of puddles for fallen keys to hide in, we went to see the race organisers. Just as we walked up, a guy was handing in her car key!!! Now my friend runs with her key pocket is welded to her shoe. Sorry, no advice for avoiding breakins altough I appreciate the suggestion of hiding your stuff rather than just putting it in the boot.
                    When I was going through school I once left my truck window down and stuff inside just kinda out and about. I did lock my wallet in the glove box (butstill left it the truck unlocked with windows down). I came back and my book bag and other things had been ransacked a bit. Nothing missing to speak of except a piece of gum. I would not have noticed that but the crook left the wrapper on the seat. It shocked me as the crook had to be uneducated because none of m,y $100 text book were missing nor was any of my CD's. I attribute that to the fact that I listen to country mostly. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I will take more precautions in the future. Thanks for the heads up as we can never be too complacent.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Sorry to hear about your car getting broken into. It leaves one with a violated feeling. I had a rental car broken into a few years ago while I was on a run in the Virgin Islands. Even though the car was locked and had an activated car alarm, the thieves used a pry bar on the top of the door frame. As the police later told me, this allows them to open the door and not set off the alarm. Just another thought if you think your items are safe when you leave your car in a remote spot. Sad
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

DW AND I WENT WALKING IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE COMM. COLLEGE. TWO WOMEN HAD THERE CAR BROKEN INTO WHILE THEY WERE ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE PARKING LOT. THEY SAW THE CAR PARK NEXT TO THERE CAR THEN LEAVE.IT IS DIFFICULT TO STOP THIEFS. IT IS BEST TO LEAVE VALUABLES AT HOME.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/