New running shoes eachtime you race (Read 499 times)

Lisa3.1

how many of you get new runnng shoes eachtime you race does it matter if you do or you don't Thanks

That never even occurred to me. Why would you need to?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lisa3.1

That never even occurred to me. Why would you need to?
        I thought it's a good idea to do that as the shoes wear out esp. after a race. and, as in other sports, they do the same.

A Saucy Wench

I get new running shoes so that I can break them in before my old ones hit 300 miles. I never race (or do speedwork or longruns) on shoes that have less than 50 miles. I usually try to keep 2 pairs active at all times

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I thought if you wear the same running shoes for another race, the shoes wear out and isn't as good for a future race
            Sure, your shoes might wear out from a single race, if it was a 6 day race or you did a transcontinental relay or something like that. Generally speaking, most shoes for most people will on average last between 300 and 600 miles. Most of my shoes tend to last in the 500 mile range before I toss them. Racing flats may not last for as many miles, but they don't get used as often so they still last a while calendar wise. I will generally not race in shoes that have less than 30 or 40 miles in them, unless they are racing flats in which case I just need 1 or 2 speed workouts in them and they are usually fine. I also will generally not race in shoes that have more than 350-400 miles, but that's dependant upon the feel of the shoe. If you'd like some tips on how to take care of your shoes (or choose the right ones in the first place) then you might want to read through the shoe tips listed here: http://news.runtowin.com/2006/08/17/a-list-of-shoe-care-tips.html

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lisa3.1

Sure, your shoes might wear out from a single race, if it was a 6 day race or you did a transcontinental relay or something like that. Generally speaking, most shoes for most people will on average last between 300 and 600 miles. Most of my shoes tend to last in the 500 mile range before I toss them. Racing flats may not last for as many miles, but they don't get used as often so they still last a while calendar wise. I will generally not race in shoes that have less than 30 or 40 miles in them, unless they are racing flats in which case I just need 1 or 2 speed workouts in them and they are usually fine. I also will generally not race in shoes that have more than 350-400 miles, but that's dependant upon the feel of the shoe. If you'd like some tips on how to take care of your shoes (or choose the right ones in the first place) then you might want to read through the shoe tips listed here: http://news.runtowin.com/2006/08/17/a-list-of-shoe-care-tips.html
              Thank You. I appreciate the re: