Back into running again (Read 437 times)

Hello all, I've been using RunningAhead for my running log since August, but this is my first post. I was an avid runner up until about 2 years ago when I decided to take a break to concentrate on my kids. Before then, my longest off time was probably about 4 months. During the 2 years, I basically did nothing aerobically. I am a stay-at-home dad, and I made a commitment to get back into running when my daughter started kindergarten, which was this school year. I've now been trying to slowly get back into shape without doing something stupid and injuring myself. My first run back was 2 1/2 miles at 8:45 pace and I wanted to walk the whole time. Now I'm able to run 7 min pace for 6 miles pretty comfortably. I have no illusions of getting back to my college pace, but I'd like to get back to when I last was pretty good shape about 7 years ago and run a 10k in 35 and half marathon in 1:17. That will take awhile, and I'm willing to be patient. I don't expect miracles. Anyway, I thought I'd just introduce myself. BTW, if anyone gets confused, I'm NOT the Brian Purcell who won Western States back in the 80's. I live not too far from him and met him a couple of times, and every once in awhile someone confuses the two of us (I even got offered a magazine interview which was amusing). I've left my log public for anyone to look at. Nothing exciting so far, and November was kind of sparse due to a bunch of conflicts.
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Welcome! Those are some pretty speedy goals. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing you around.
        Welcome! We could use all the help we can get.
        Do bears bear? Do bees be?
        CathayLad.

PlodderfromMAN

Welcome back Bpurcell, God I wish I had those times, it's took me 4 months to get from 9:30 minute/miles to 8:55, I've got a marathon in 5 months times I'm hoping to do it in under 4 hours. Smile
          Goals. <7:45mins -="" 1="" mile=""></7:45mins><50mins -="" 10k=""></50mins><1hr 50mins="" -="" half="" marathon.(march09)=""></1hr><4hrs marathon (may09) marathon=""></4hrs marathon (may09)>