Erie or Lehigh Valley PA marathons for BQ attempt? (Read 243 times)

Linny12

I ran Erie in 2016 in an attempt to improve my BQ time before registration opened. It ended up being humid and warm at the start (68 degrees) and full sun and mid-70's by the finish, so I did not get my goal time. Many others struggled to finish, and a lot of people needed medical attention.

I loved the race though- flat, fast, well organized, scenic, plenty of aid stations, etc. I did notice that they had great weather in 2017, and I was kicking myself for not running it. If you could guarantee good weather, it would be the perfect race in my opinion.

I did end up getting into Boston with the time I already had, so it was not that disappointing in the end.

Call me odd man out, but I really disliked Lehigh.  I ran it in 2013.  Granted it is my PR still to this day, but I had a hard fall on the rocky tow path and tore my fascia.  Still hobbled to a BQ/PR but wish someone would have warned me ahead of time of the rough terrain I was not accustomed to.  A running friend I met for race fell at mile 16 on rocky path and had to be taken from course on 4 wheeler to hospital.

The weather was great for race and everyone in med tent was very helpful.   Just my experience!

jfa

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with Beantown. I'm not thrilled about the 6 loop aspect, but I can practice that. The biggest factor for me is it's proximity to the ocean. I'll have the best chance for a cooler day.

mikeymike

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with Beantown. I'm not thrilled about the 6 loop aspect, but I can practice that. The biggest factor for me is it's proximity to the ocean. I'll have the best chance for a cooler day.

I may see you there, Joe, depending on how the SOM goes.

Runners run

jfa

Good luck Mikey. It would be a pleasure for you to lap me, like 17 times.

Must be close to home for you too. Ever run in that park?

mikeymike

Must be close to home for you too. Ever run in that park?

Close but yet so far--south shore vs. north shore.  I don't cross the mass pike without good reason ... and Hingham is a bit hoity toity for my blood.

Runners run