Yaktrax Pro & Yeah MN runners!!! (Read 923 times)

Bugs

cgerber,

Do you unscrew the screws, and replace them? I guess I've always used old shoes. What size screw did you use? I've made some before but this latest pair doesn't seem to have the traction. My DH maybe used smaller ones.

I'm in Mankato, MN and avoiding the cold but now it is warming up and I'll have to head back out. It is the darn ice, uneven sidewalks that slows me down that I am frustrated with.

Bugs

When I replaced them, yes,  I just unscrewed the old ones (using a hex head driver on a cordless drill) and put new ones in. Once the little lip on the screw wears down, the traction on ice is lessened... it's that nice lip that provides the bite.

I used a combination of #6 3/8" and #8 1/2".  The #8 screws work better, but they were a little long in a few spots (I could barely feel them when I'd step on a rock, etc).  I think you can get a #8 3/8", which would probably be about perfect (I just happened to have those two sizes at home).

Another YakTax alternative is Kahtoola Microspikes.  Nearly everyone I run with uses them now...and they all RAVE about them constantly.  Kinda pricey though... I haven't bought them yet.  They are a lot more substantial than YakTrax.  Probably heavier too though... maybe overkill if you're not on steep icy mountainous trails.

Chair Warmer

I used the screw shoes a ton when I lived in MN and loved them... nice cheap alternative to the Yaktrax.  Now that I'm in GA, don't have much need for them.  I was hoping we would get more snow during the recent cold spell but it wan't enough to break out the srew shoes.  Oh well...