Wannabes (Read 1171 times)

The most irrating thing that ever happened to me, I was jogging up a long hill and passed to teens that were just walking along. When the one that resembled a jellyroll starts to run beside me and after 10 yards says "Oh this is as fast as I can run" and starts to laugh. After that day I started jogging with a twenty dollar bill and I promised myself if I ever saw the kid I would say "The twenty is yours if you can keepup for 1/2 an hour." Never saw the kid again though.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I'm guilty of this from my run yesterday. It was my longer run and I was supposed to keep it slow but at mile 6 I was passed by a girl that could be a model for tights. I picked it up for the last three miles in order to keep her in view. I didn't run right on her shoulder but stayed back 50 feet or so. It went from an OK run to a great run. Hopefully she'll pass me again on the trail.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was out for an easy run during college when I this dude kind of appeared out of nowhere and was running with me. He was pushing the pace just a little faster than I felt like going that day, and being competitive, I couldn't just drop back. Also, he was talkative. A little too much, based on my mood that day. So I altered my plans and changed course. I headed to a street that had a steady 3/4-mile uphill, turned on the jets, and buried him on the hill. Kind of dickish on my part, I must admit, but I also must admit I felt a perverse sense of pleasure at crushing his will that day. Evil grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jeffdonahue

I know I am guilty of this. Though i would never run right up next to the person, I have been passed by faster people on my runs and kicked it up a notch to keep myself 20-25 feet behind them for as long as I could.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've done it. Been successful a few times, failed others. I've had folks thank me for prompting them to kick it up a notch. I've had folks totally ignore me. What bugs you about someone trying to keep up with you?
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What bugs you about someone trying to keep up with you?
              Some days, I just like my solitude.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

higa

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind being passed but what i do mind is them sticking like glue to my shoulder and having to listen to their beathing - thats just too damn close. Sometimes you even wear some of their sweat eughhhh..... Like jeffgoblue sometimes i just like my solitude.
                  At times (rarely) I've had this happen, and other times I was the culprit. When it happened that I was "catching" someone, or had it appear that I kicked it up just to catch or pass them, it was because of a run/walk timing issue (during C25k, say) or I was running fartlecks. I'd be self conscious that it appeared I was chasing them, but go ahead with my run pace as planned. When it happens to me I just assume that they are running at the pace or interval their particular training day calls for. Once I learned there was a thing called Gallowalking, it made a lot more sense. Now, my last boss was one of these hyper-competitive types, for which everything is a competition which must result in him being the winner, but must also produce a loser, in order to count. He says he could never train for a marathon like I do because he is "too competitive" and would not be able to hold himself back from trying to "win" every training session. He could never let someone pass him, even if he was supposed to be running easy or slow. So I have to assume there are a certain number of runners (or other athletes using running for conditioning) bring the "jock" mentality to the sport.
                  Mr R

Now, my last boss was one of these hyper-competitive types, for which everything is a competition which must result in him being the winner, but must also produce a loser, in order to count. He says he could never train for a marathon like I do because he is "too competitive" and would not be able to hold himself back from trying to "win" every training session. He could never let someone pass him, even if he was supposed to be running easy or slow. So I have to assume there are a certain number of runners (or other athletes using running for conditioning) bring the "jock" mentality to the sport.
                    That just demonstrates a lack of discipline on his part. The only real competition is the race itself. If you're compromising your performance on the day that matters, just because you need to be the best on every other day, then you're not being competitive; you're being macho.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Now, my last boss was one of these hyper-competitive types, for which everything is a competition which must result in him being the winner, but must also produce a loser, in order to count. He says he could never train for a marathon like I do because he is "too competitive" and would not be able to hold himself back from trying to "win" every training session. He could never let someone pass him, even if he was supposed to be running easy or slow. So I have to assume there are a certain number of runners (or other athletes using running for conditioning) bring the "jock" mentality to the sport.
                      Reminds me of the wife's boss in Mr. Mom. That whole scene with the tricycle race and everything was awesome. Keaton threw the race at the end so his wife's boss could win. BTW, I would say that the above boss not only lacks discipline, as Mr. R, says, but is probably a real jerkwad to work for. I notice that urbansix said it was his last boss. Good for you.

uncontrollable

Don't get me wrong - I am happy for anyone who takes the step to be active - it isn't easy - but like someone else said: there can be an entertaining element to this stuff. I've been at the gym on the treadmill (which I hate to begin with) & I'll be doing an even, smooth pace, breathing normal: you feel the glance at your speed, you can almost hear the person thinking "I should just run, it CAN'T be that much harder than my powerwalking" and they increase their speed, start running, you hear the breathing changes - see the posture get sloppy - maybe even see them 'hold on' to the rail (a sure sign of the impending - "I'm gonna walk, I've read it's the same result anyway") - and they either slow the speed, hit stop & pretend they were done anyway, or jump off the belt onto the edges. It does pass the time for me! It happens quite frequently too. Especially if you're forced to do a long run at the gym. It actually helps me in a race like most people and it only annoys me when the person is breathing like a mating buffalo or passes me, gets in front of me, & slows down. That is just the worst! Surprised

peace

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

For those that like their solitude - fair enough. It never occured to me that trying to outpace someone during a training run was annoying. I check out the screen on other's TM, too. For the most part, though, nobody at the gym I go to runs for more than 3-4 miles on the things. You know the cliche'd scene in the movies when a guy gets stood up at a bar? He sits there with his drink, some of the folks fade out, others fade in. that repeats till he's sitting alone at the bar and calls it quits? That's what I feel like when I run 12-14 miles on the treadmill.
                            I'm always kind of self conscious if I pass someone jogging slowly when I'm out in the neighborhood. Guess I remember when I first started running and would get discouraged if a person came swooshing by. Usually, if I'm going to pass someone I'll go to the other side of the road so as to make as little impact as possible on their run. Occasionaly I'll just creep up on someone and come by on the grass as quietly as possible. Now if it is a person who is in shape and they want to duel that's another matter. Evil grin Once a girl tried to shadow me and sprint past, but I outlasted her. There is one lady who clips along pretty well and it would be a tempo run to keep up. Good thing she is always going the other direction! Must not be running very far. Ha Ha. It is all in good fun of course. Sometimes the neighborhood loops get boring. Mostly, when I'm running there isn't anyone out running a similar pace or route so I am (they are) quite safe from such antics.

The shirtless wonder

I've had experiences on both sides of the fence. During my first half marathon at about mile 10 or so a guy came up next to me. I started to speed up to try to match keep him from passing me as he was really close to my speed. I kept speeding up but I didn't go faster than I could handle. It was my first race of that distance and I was very worried about burning out too soon. Eventually he turned to me and said something like "I can't keep up, you go on." I kept running. I didn't realize he was just looking for someone to run with and keep pace with. Oh well, now I know. Once when I was out on a training run, which was a loop, I saw a guy FLY through an upcoming intersection. Since I was out on a "fast" fun I decided to try to catch him. It took a full 2 miles before I caught up with him. We had a nice conversation for a few miles and then my run was done. I didn't burn out -- it just happened to be the end of my run. That was a great run. Greg
                                Come on runners. Isn't it nice to see people off the couch and out there running? I have to admit myself that I am just interested in other runners. No, I do not go run after other runners but I do try to keep pace with them it challenges me and frankly all runners should feel proud to be one of those people that other people look up to. Hello nice people out there.