2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 233 times)

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

But Mikkey he did explicitly state that he was only sharing experience, not advice. Disagreement makes things interesting but I wouldn't say that I don't want wcrunners input.

Don't argue with my buddy - he won't listen anyway.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Marky_Mark_17

Mark On your comment about finding good packs in track races, my 17:30 seed time has me 2/3 of the way down a heat with seeds ranging from 15:49 to 18:54. Hopefully I can capitalize on this.

I would say that's ideal.  How many in the race?  17:00 works out to just a little faster than 82 seconds per lap.  If you can find a pack around that sort of pace, that could help a lot.  The last 3-4 laps will be tough for sure but the great thing about a 5k is the pain is over quickly.

Good luck!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

No but have you heard about his age graded %?

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Seems more like your mind is closed.  Just because the marathon isn't my best (or favorite) distance doesn't make me ignorant or uninformed about it.  If you don't agree with my statements simply say why and your reasoning for disagreeing.  So far you've offered no valid reason for disagreeing other than belittling my marathon background because it isn't my best or favorite distance to race.

Everything you say here is fair.  18 marathons is a lot.

Anyways, normally when Mikkey starts a dumpster fire, I'm the target.  Never quite figured out why he does it, maybe he just gets cold and lonely.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

Josh Wasn't trying to argue. I just think wcrunner deserves a certain amount of respect in my humble opinion.

Mark Well I tried. I think the heat had a little over 20 ish people? Not sure what the deal was but I went out with a 5:26 first mile (3:24 first k) and then my body when into 5:40 auto pilot mode, which is my 10k pace literally... I think I have a hard time keeping myself at that VO2 max pace, my body likes settling into a rhythm near 10k to half marathon pace. Ugh, so 17:25 it was but it's fine. I still have all summer.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Holy shit some of you need to go run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Josh Wasn't trying to argue. I just think wcrunner deserves a certain amount of respect in my humble opinion.

Mark Well I tried. I think the heat had a little over 20 ish people? Not sure what the deal was but I went out with a 5:26 first mile (3:24 first k) and then my body when into 5:40 auto pilot mode, which is my 10k pace literally... I think I have a hard time keeping myself at that VO2 max pace, my body likes settling into a rhythm near 10k to half marathon pace. Ugh, so 17:25 it was but it's fine. I still have all summer.

Weird how that happens. I definitely found myself settling into a rhythm which was probably just a little too slow during that 5k race I did. Maybe when it’s a faster race effort level that you’re not quite familiar with, the body just tries to find something it’s more used to. But it’s a fine line between forcing the pace and overcooking it. Anyways that’s still a good hit out and a good place to work from.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Welcome back Mikkey, it did seem like your wife took over your account for a while...

I laughed out loud at this.

Mmerkle - 10 @ MP is not easy. Have you ever tried MP in a half marathon race? One of the best preps I ever did was entered a half and did the first 10 at MP and the last 5K at LT. It felt like a real race (because there was zero taper) but doing it in a half gave me the motivation to get that last 5K done. Something to consider. I would do that with something like a 3 mile warm up, right into the corral (so it has to be a low key race where you can do that) and then right into a 2 mile cooldown.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will add that you do need to figure out what works for you. 22 miles in the middle of training got too boring for me and I always ran it Pfitz style, even though I was running Daniels. To Mikkeys point, after a few marathons, you should have some idea what works for you.

Ultimately the best workouts are the ones you can complete, look back on and smile, and don't destroy you for your next workout. You are young mmerkle, so you can try pushing yourself. Once you enter 35+ (and especially 45+) there are a lot of other factors to consider.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Again this is personal experience, but one of the reasons I raced at a lot of different distances was to prevent falling into a grove (or rut) and sliding or drifting into a comfortable race pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Marky_Mark_17

Again this is personal experience, but one of the reasons I raced at a lot of different distances was to prevent falling into a grove (or rut) and sliding or drifting into a comfortable race pace.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot to be said for that.  In hindsight, it's probably something I haven't done enough of over the last while either to be honest.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Long covid guy is back….I hope you’ve had a booster. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP is up to something epic. Details later.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

mmerkle

RP is up to something epic. Details later.

I know he mentioned a trail race but what is he up to? I'm assuming it's happening right now?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I know he mentioned a trail race but what is he up to? I'm assuming it's happening right now?

Big trail race, happening right now. Things seem to be going well thus far.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?