Looking for input on marathon pace runs (Read 656 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Did my first M paced run today. Thought I might go as far as 18 w/16 at pace but anything over 14 miles @ M pace would have been fine. Wound up with 14.5 total miles with just under 13 of those at M pace. I found this run to be extremely challenging mentally. Short version - I don't have much of any experience running at this pace. I tried to target a range of about 15 seconds with the lower range being equal to my goal pace and the upper range being equal to my "ideal if everything goes amazingly" goal. There was more than the average amount of wind to deal with but not tons and a few medium hills that I had to deal with but nothing major. Basically I spent most of the run glancing at my Garmin every 90 seconds to check my pace. It was very annoying but again, this was my first time targeting this pace. It's not the comfortable hard of the tempo and it's not a standard training pace - it's in between. I would very much like to be able to run these by feel and not be a slave to my garmin. Five of my mile splits were faster than my ideal goal and of those 5, two of them were 15+ seconds faster. I am looking for input in two areas, one general and one specific In general - what are some things that you've done that have helped you master the marathon pace runs? Obviously experince will help me. Anything else? Specifically - I have three weeks to go before taper time. One of those weeks will entail my final tune up race, a 10 miler. I would very much like to spend the other two weekends getting in two additional 20 mile long runs. In order to get more experience with M pace running, I am considering dedicating my mid week med/long runs to some M pace running. They'll be shorter than 18 w/16 at pace, but I think a few 14 milers with 12 at M pace should suffice. What are your thoughts on that?
      In general - what are some things that you've done that have helped you master the marathon pace runs?
      I would not worry too much about marathon pace runs. It should probably be part of a proper training program, but if its hard to find the pace, then my guess is you don't really need M pace runs - just go for mostly easy, sometimes hard on your training runs. I find it too hard to run at M pace because most of my training runs are much hillier than any marathon course I'd want to run, so I just do sections (a few miles at a time) at M pace - and especially the last few miles. It generally takes a few glances at the Garmin to make sure I'm at pace, but if the grade is even I can normally "feel" that I'm putting in the same effort.
      Specifically - I have three weeks to go before taper time. One of those weeks will entail my final tune up race, a 10 miler. I would very much like to spend the other two weekends getting in two additional 20 mile long runs. In order to get more experience with M pace running, I am considering dedicating my mid week med/long runs to some M pace running. They'll be shorter than 18 w/16 at pace, but I think a few 14 milers with 12 at M pace should suffice. What are your thoughts on that?
      I'm no running coach, but that sounds like a good plan to me. I'd probably NOT push myself to Marathon pace for so much of your mid week runs - probably at most 1/3 to 1/2 of the run at M pace. I'm be a bit scared of pushing the pace too fast and too often as I get close to a Marathon. My main goal is to get to the start line uninjured - and too much fast stuff could risk it.

Running - cheaper than therapy

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I don't have much experience in the area, but I think your run was fine. Some miles are going to be faster than others, even 15 seconds isn't that much over one mile, especially if that mile had less wind, was downhill, or had a cute female in view. 5 miles were faster, so 8 miles were at or below. Sound about right. Constantly trying to check and change your pace over 90 second intervals is ridiculous. My advice, do include some marathon pace runs mid week. Run a route once with your Garmin to get a time and mileage that is marathon pace then run the same route a few times without the Garmin and just run. I run all of my runs using what I call landmark splits. Basically there are only so many directions and distance I can get from my house. My runs share some common paths, which I clock with a stopwatch. Usually they are just over 1 mile in the 9-10 minute category. I log those if I really want to compare those later I will, but the landmarks that I pass frequently (those close to my house) I get to know very quickly how fast I am running them. Usually I can predict my time before I get to the landmark within +- 5 seconds.
        KMB

I agree with the leave the garmin at home and go with a good ol watch. do you have a marked course somewhere that will give you accurate miles? Break a marathon in 90 second intervals? wow you'd have a pace chart that extends up and down both arms and both legs... at most check it at mile marks, maybe even less - every 4 mile increments? trust yourself.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I don't have anything close by that can give me accurate mile splits. Typically what I do when I'm racing (I like to use the Garmin to record the race) is I tape over the screen so I can't see it. I've got a few routes for my med/long runs. I think it would be a good idea to run some of those with my Garmin taped over.
            mikeymike

It takes practice. Actually 13 @ MP for your first try is a huge workout--I'd have suggested starting with smaller chunks. Mid week mid-long runs are a great time to practice this. I'd say leave the garmin home or don't display pace, try mapping out a 2-3 mile loop and going around a few times. You don't need accurate miles plits just "close enough". Marathon pace is a feeling, a level of effort more than a number.

Runners run

Marathon pace is a feeling, a level of effort more than a number.
                +1 in general; I run various routes with known distances, so using just a watch works well for me. When I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do the math, I hop on my TM and dial in the pace I need. good luck

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

bhearn

Well, I'll be different here and say keep using the Garmin. That's what it's for. And there's nothing wrong with checking the pace every 90 seconds. But make sure you set it to display average lap pace; that's the only pace readout that's really meaningful. KMB, nobody said anything about breaking a marathon into 90-second intervals. The purpose of using the pace readout is to help you make your planned splits at a relatively even pace. You'll use more energy if your pace is all over the place. Actually it's hard to run a mile 15 seconds faster than planned if you are checking your pace every 90 seconds; not sure how you managed that! But then I didn't quite understand your pace range.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

90 seconds is an exageration. A few times per mile early on, several times per mile later on.
                      I think mikeymike is right: it takes practice. I tried to do a lot of MP training before my last marathon in order to get the feel down. I use my Garmin for racing, of course, but I also wanted to be very comfortable with the pace in case my watch blew up on race day. So I did not only the traditional 13-16 mile MP runs, but I also started throwing in MP running in lots of my other workouts, like maybe doing 8 easy with 4 at MP. Or 6 at recovery pace, but 2 MP in the middle. Things like that added very little additional training stress, but gave me lots of opportunity to get the feeling down pat. And yes, it does take mental discipline to hold that pace.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

bhearn

It is easier to hold the pace on race day, of course. I remember when training for my first marathon, I completely botched my two (Pfitzinger-)scheduled MP runs. I did successfully make up the second one, however, which helped a lot with my confidence. Before that I was losing faith in my ability to run a marathon at my planned pace, or at all. But in the end I BQed at my first marathon. Pfitzinger, at least, says that MP runs are now considered to be more important than they were previously. The second edition of his book features plans with four MP runs instead of the old two.

A Saucy Wench

I try..not always successfully to just go out and run a mile at what feels like MP effort - I do have the garmin set to autolap so when it beeps I get my feedback for the most recent mile. Adjust effort if necessary - feedback. The goal is to figure out what it should FEEL like. Usually once I dial it in I can hold it, but the dialing process varies day to day. Now I have found that I am repeatedly and consistently able to hold 8:45 or 8:15 but I struggle with 8:30. Dont know why, its been like that since 8:15 was my 5K pace, I get faster, but I still hit comfort pockets at 10:20, 9:50, 9:20, 8:45, 8:15 and I think now at about 7:45. I'm pretty sure a fair bit of the last 10 miles of my marathon was drift down to 8:45, speed up to 8:15, etc. Clearly the only solution is for me to get fit enough to hold 8:15 for a marathon

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7